Federal Signal Employee Reviews

Don't waste your time
Assembler (Former Employee) –  University Park, ILNovember 13, 2019
As an assembler,the job physically was easy enough.The pay didn't compensate you for the demand required of you.The union started taking dues before you were certified,with no representation. Unless you are related to someone there,or know someone in management ,you won't be treated the same.About the only thing I can say good about working there ,was that my co-workers were very nice people to work with.This company likely will move by contracts end, as their only concern is with profits, not the people who make it possible.
Best company Ever deo is the best inside sales ever
Sales and Rental Coordinator (Current Employee) –  La Porte, TXSeptember 3, 2019
its the best company ever people get fired cause they do not do there jobs or show up on time that is why they have negative comments about the company but need to realize either you are a part of the company or you not going to have job so people please show up on time do your job
Pros
lunches and great pay
Cons
just show up on time
No good
Inside Parts Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  La Porte, TXJuly 19, 2019
A horrible place to work. Poor management. The turnover rate is VERY high they dont seem to mind losing great employees. Jetstream isn't good either
This job sucks far as management and
Assembler/Production (Former Employee) –  Richton Park, ILMarch 20, 2019
Very poorly Manage The company picking chooses who they want to work longer hours overtime etc. The pay is very low starting at $12 an hour when at 1 point the company used to pay employee East 15 bucks an hour. So no I wouldn't recommend anyone to work for this company
Federal Signal
QUALITIY ENGINEER (Current Employee) –  University Park, ILFebruary 3, 2019
Great place to work. I highly recommend as I have had an extremely positive experience. I feel valued and I am allowed the flexibility to promote a culture of high quality standards.
Work
Warehouse Clerk (Former Employee) –  Pleasant Prairie, WI 53158November 30, 2018
not a good place to work at, life here was hard, people they hired if you had a problem with and said something about it they didn't do anything about it.
Pros
pay
Cons
managment
Employee Relations Manager (Former Employee) –  University Park, ILOctober 4, 2017
Federal Signal is a great place to work with great people. The office ambiance is bright and friendly. Management is approachable and professional. It's also a very clean environment.
good place to work for.
Union Worker (Former Employee) –  University Park, ILOctober 3, 2017
Loved my job. I just think that the people that went above their job duties, needed to recognized more. People that have been there for a long time tend to think that they don't have to do their jobs but get treated better than the people that want to work and who take pride in their work. Some supervisors tend to close their eyes as to whats really going on.
Federal Signal
Production Line Associate (Former Employee) –  University Park, ILMarch 30, 2017
I love working at Federal Signal- I find the days to be exciting and different.Federal Signal fosters learning and personal growth.
Many opportunities to train and expand knowledge.
Assembly line and a team member
Laborer (Former Employee) –  University Park, ILFebruary 20, 2017
find different and miscellaneous parts that had to be shipped to certain locations and packed and wrapped and lift heavy objects and it was a great environment
Not for anyone
Union work is simple, you have 80% who want to work for a living and you have 20% that socialize and gossip while the 80% take up the slack.
The 20% who socialize and gossip cause problems will end up in a nice office position with better hours.
So if you are ready to work for the UNION please be advised that if you are a hard working human with a great work ethic,
swallow your pride and throw work ethic out the closest window.
Pros
work
Cons
I cant say without being a
Fun place to work
Customer Support/Inside Sales (Former Employee) –  University Park, ILApril 9, 2016
The HR department was very pro employee. The company cares about the employees and their work environment. Large company that keeps employees active and busy
Pros
Great Benefit Package
Cons
Pay scale
Excellent Benefits and Great Coworkers
Implementation and Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Southern Pines, NCMarch 23, 2016
I worked remotely and absolutely enjoyed working for Federal Signal. During my time with them, I learned a lot about self accountability. I was responsible for taking care of my customer base as well as keeping my coworkers updated on my day-to-day issues. The toughest part of the job was keeping up with previous calls and emails when I was out of the office. I enjoyed my freedom to come and go as I pleased as long as I was available and able to assist any customer at any time throughout the work day.
Always something new
SR. SHIPPING CHECKER (Former Employee) –  University Park, ILNovember 4, 2015
I was the floater, the go to guy that had special projects doled out. I never really knew what I was going to do each day, sometimes I'd be picking or packing, others I would have a multimillion dollar order to double check.

The hardest part of my job was the commute, living 50 miles away was a doozy!
Pros
Night shift had good companionship
Cons
20 minute lunch was my only break
Good first job. Was an intern for the summer.
Sound and Signal Tester/Summer Intern (Former Employee) –  Blue Island, ILSeptember 28, 2015
A typical day at work was assembling and testing emergency sirens.

Since this was my first job I learned how to follow orders and get along with my co-workers. The hardest part of my job was at the beginning of the summer when I had a difficult time assembling products.

The most enjoyable part of the job was earning a paycheck. Being a teenager that was all I thought about.
Pros
Learning what a real job was like.
Cons
It was only an internship
decently good place to work
Work Cell Assembler (Former Employee) –  University Park, ILJuly 29, 2015
the lights and sirens were easy to learn and build. the coworkers there were helpful and friendly. the breaks were of adequate time. the pay was good. overall it was a good place. competitors kept job security low.
Pros
great atmosphere and easy learning of job
Cons
potential for layoffs high
Nice place to work with competitive wages
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  University Park, ILMay 22, 2015
without a doubt it can be a fun place to work and is. the co workers seem to be like a family and want to know every thing about you but other than that i made a good wage for good work.
benefits
Cons
short breaks
Great Products, but offten reorganisation within the company make your job insecure
Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  University Park, ILFebruary 8, 2015
Great Products you learn a lot. Often reorganizations within the company make you wonder how long you will be working there
Pros
Great Products
Cons
offten layoffs
Federal Signal review
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CANovember 21, 2014
Small company. Unique business with toll roads. Company was sold to 3m.

Pretty much by myself. I was given an assignment and I completed Maintenance document for the off road operator by interviewing and asking a lot of questions. I also spent a lot of time on Google searching for equipment so I could document what the equipment did.

New nothing about the business but learned a lot through self teaching and researching.

I created a Safety Manual also.

Performed several QA test plans.

Created many excel spreadsheets for misc assignments.

Utilized Visio almost daily, creating workflows and business flows.

I enjoy writing so the daily tasks were satisfying.
Pros
Small company and close to home
Cons
Some of the people were unfriendly
Great pay, industry leader, but difficult to manage constant territory change
Regional Manager - Environmental Services Group (Current Employee) –  DenverSeptember 10, 2014
Working from home in this position is great for a self motivated person, but difficult to integrate into the culture as a new hire.
Learned a lot about the hydrovac market and products as well as selling process.
Well thought out market attack plan that differentiated the products.
Peers are top notch sales professionals.
Hardest part of job is dealing with constant, major changes in territory and customer base. Four major changes in two years makes is difficult to build relationships in a sales position.
Most enjoyable part is all that is involved with working for an industry leader.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Constant change