FEMA Employee Reviews

good job
Call Center Agent (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 12, 2018
good job but you have to be flexible with schedule. They can switch you shifts with one day's notice. Training can be a little rough and inconsistent.
nice career
Inspector (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 8, 2018
My wife asked me to keep it private and so did FEMA but its a great job to have. It also teaches great organizational skills while focusing on helping people put their live back together.
Pros
We help people get back to living after being victimized by natural disasters
Fema
Applicant Service Program Specialist (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 7, 2018
Have to be flexible. Good customer service skills. Willing to travel. People's person. Love doing your job. Have to be able to work in different work settings.
Long hours but the team members are fun to work with
Contract Safety Advisor (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMarch 4, 2018
Work can be up to 12 hours a day, 7 days a week depending on the severity of the disaster. Typical day included driving to possible disaster relief centers to conduct a safety inspection. Had to write 2 reports to send to the Safety Advisor for the lead office. As a contractor, there were no guarantees on the length of your deployment. Usually starts at 1 month.
Pros
Great Pay
Cons
Long Hours, Contract Work
Great team that really wants to help people in distress
Regional Exercise Officer (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAFebruary 28, 2018
FEMA is a great agency with a get it done attitude. it is an expeditionary agency. This means that you must be willing to deploy for long periods away from home. Often to areas that may have few, if any, creature comforts.
This is a great job for young people as well as older employees who are not raising young children. The agency tries to promote work-life balance, however, that is difficult to accomplish when the workforce is deployed away from home for long periods.
frustration
Team Leader/ Trainer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 27, 2018
a typical day at work for me ws to help anyone who needed help, to give them resourceful information as to where and how they cpuld get the help needed. However we did not always get accurate information. which was very frustrating for both the applicangt and myself. informtion would also change daily and we would be briefed on it before the shift started
Pros
a good government job
Cons
very unprofessional environment
Hard Working-
Foreman/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  San Juan, PRFebruary 27, 2018
Responsible for making schedules and dividing the tasks of the day. Roster
This was a task assigned after hurricane Maria, we helped people to have a roof in their homes.
We were trained and we were given tools, our daily work was to reach the homes without roof and install blue awnings to protect these families
Pros
salary
Cons
contrac
Good pay, not stable
Call Center Agent (Current Employee) –  Falls Church, VA 22042February 26, 2018
it's great to gain experience , but not a long term job. Government contracts end or can get cancelled at any point in time leaving you in a constant worry that they could pull the plug on the whole operation with out letting you know in advance.
productive
Customer representative (Current Employee) –  Hyattsville, MDFebruary 26, 2018
FEMA is a fast pace learning environment, all employees are friendly and charismatic. Definitely not much movement at this job. management is always on the floor.
Great Mission
ATTORNEY (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 26, 2018
this was a great place to work until the change in administration and the mission took a back seat to politics. Now there are too many people in the agency that do not have any clear understanding of what FEMA's mission is and too many managers that should not manage staff.
Pros
Co-workers are dedicated
Cons
new administration does not understand mission
Nice place to work for as a contract Employees through WSP.
Disaster Housing Inspector / WSP (Current Employee) –  Denton, TXFebruary 24, 2018
I enjoy work as a contract employee through WSP for FEMA. Lots of good people, friendly enviroment. Supervisors are knowledgeable. Travel is great, I worked in Houston, TX, Miami Florida and Puerto Rica. I enjoy helping the people in need. Very rewading job.
Pros
Salary
working at FEMA
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Hyattsville, MDFebruary 23, 2018
I was able to help applicants apply for benefits to assist them with repairs to her home after declared disasters. It made me feel great to be of assistance.
Pros
helping others through their disaster
Cons
disgruntle applicants when tings do no go their way
comfy work environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Hyattsville, MDFebruary 23, 2018
Nice work environment , answer phones and send emails all day. Management was very unprofessional, learned a lot about how the government works, most enjoyable part of my day was preshift
Hard- but rewarding work.
Customer Representative (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAFebruary 23, 2018
I worked for FEMA as a local hire Customer Representative to meet the needs of survivors of the 2017 hurricanes and wildfires. Due to the needs of the organization, training was extremely short. We were thrown into the job explaining policy and procedure to survivors that we were unfamiliar with. Have often heard coworkers making up information in order to provide an answer to callers. Management was encouraging and motivating, could have used a little more oversight and QA.
Pros
Lots of opportunity for overtime. Very rewarding work.
Cons
Long hours and very little training. As a local hire was treated as disposable employee.
great
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAFebruary 21, 2018
love working here just wish that it could be permanent in California and we receive phone calls from disaster survivors. help them with the process of filling out their application
great place to workif you can get n with them
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  MississippiFebruary 20, 2018
it was a great place to work for your keep busy all the time the pay is worth anything they ask you to do the understand family and vale. they want you to advance in the company and plenty of city's to move to.
Pros
money
Cons
sometimesver long hours
Eh it's alright
EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  TexasFebruary 17, 2018
Very fast-paced, very stressful environment. Customer always comes first. You are to adhere to a very strict time card and if you do not you are to alert your supervisor. You are only allowed so much time for bathroom breaks and you can only take them within a certain window. Very strict.
Good
Housing Advisor (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAFebruary 17, 2018
this was the best job I ever had working with all Katrina Victims and find them long term housing trying to relocate back to New Orleans to repair there damage property
Pros
Lunch
Cons
break
Great Job
Trainer (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXFebruary 16, 2018
Its was a very great job. I love the team I worked with. the people who was there just a good job in general. I would refer somebody to work for FEMA.
My day
Contractor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TX; jacksonvill, FlFebruary 15, 2018
Got up about 630 am everyday, and was ready for work by 7:45 am. My appointments where made the night before. I would attend to my customers at the allotted time, and take care of the must have and wants. I was a field Inspector during the recent hurricane and help many people relieve some current pressures. I loved my job helping people, always have and always will.