Fernbank Museum of Natural History

Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Trust in colleagues

Over worked and under paid.

The people here are great to work with. But the pay is terribly low, raises are barely given, and there is no room for growth. Barely any support from upper management

Pros

Work life balance Laid back environment

Cons

Pay and pay raises are extremely low

Not enough hours

Not an ideal place to work, everything about working for this place is slow , for the front office is an utter disaster and disappointment. Rude disrespectful , and unprofessional .

Pros

Employees

Cons

Pay

Okay place to work

I enjoyed working at the museum, getting to be around all the exhibits and things. The work was not that hard depending on how many parties we had and how needy the families were. It's an overall good job but the pay was pretty low. All in all, I enjoyed my time there and I wouldn't mind going back if I were able to work more hours and had a higher salary.

Pros

Environment, nice people

Cons

Low pay

It is good to work at Fernbank Museum

Working at Fernbank is a great and wonderful experience. Management is great and always willing to accomodate subordinates. It is a family like atmosphere where everyone tries to assist each other in anyway possible.

Special Events - Kind of fun, until it's not. Apply with a friend

So my experience at Fernbank isn't exactly typical. For three years, I was a member of the special events staff - wherever booze was served, we were there. Usually, you're in one of three positions - busser, barback, or bartender - and your typical shift lasts 7-9 hours (and occasionally longer, when the DJ just doesn't know how to stop). In addition to the usual Martinis & IMAX event, Fernbank hosts weddings, proms, business association meetings, corporate Christmas parties, bar mitzvas, award ceremonies, black tie galas - you name it, I've seen it. Regardless of the event, though, the routine is usually the same - set up the bars, then do whatever you've been assigned to do, then take everything down. Fridays were mandatory, but otherwise you could sign up for whatever events you could work For about the first year or so, this used to be a fun time. Some events are slow as molasses - barely 100 people in the room, an elderly crowd that can't pound drinks, or lots of long speeches. Friday nights used to be just the right mix of downtime and fast-tempo action, which meant decent tips at the end of the night. But we had a much larger staff when I first began. Once our numbers started to dwindle, those shifts were harder to fill, which meant that either a) sometimes one person would have to bus and barback, or b) those slots were filled by temps, who (save for some reliable exceptions) were uncaring, lazy, and unreasonably entitled. New temps had to be trained on the spot. No one wanted to work a night with temps. My favorite shifts were the weekend birthday parties, which -

Care to share?

Help people considering your employer. Share your experience.

Fernbank

It was an okay job, everyone laid back and comfortable! It was great pay and everyone was good people to be around! And communicate with! Great job though!

Amazing Workplace, Lack of Character

I enjoyed my journey working at Fernbank. Alot of the employees were nice and easy to talk to. But management lacked professionalism and responbility. Their was also alot of gossiping which is inmature on any job. I appreciated everything it taught me but I am glad I decided to venture further.

Not a good place to work

I was and still is a very pretty and intelligent young woman. Back during my tenure I was in my 20's and had a lot going for me. The other girl in security dept was jealous of me and tried making my part time position very difficult..

Things to know.

Fernbank comes first. And even if you work at or for Fernbank, you're not important. You're necessary to the day-to-day operations of the museum the same way electricity and running water are necessary. Originally I was going to type that you're given about as much consideration as the water and electricity when it comes to morale or anything else requiring empathy. But problems with Fernbank's utilities would be noticed and resolved well before problems among the staff -- unless those staff problems pose a threat to Fernbank's operation or image. Then be prepared to watch executives swoop in to do damage control. Their actions may not have the desired effect, they'll definitely be fast.

Pros

Benefits for full-time employees. Vacation, sick, and personal days. 403b (similar to 401k)

Cons

10 year pay freeze. Low morale. High turnover. Out-of-touch executives.

Enjoyable work enviroment

This is a great place to work, however its not the place for a career

Pros

Job security

Cons

pay

Accounting for special projects

I liked working with different accountants for special projects.

Ok place

I didn't have a high end job there. So it's typical for what you would think working with customers on a daily basis. Worked with some wonderful people. Medical Insurance for all full time employees.

Pros

offer medical insurance

Cons

Pay, not the best insurance, not a lot of room to move up.

Great coworkers, management shows favoritism

I enjoyed my coworkers, both at work and outside of work. Management was okay, mostly showing favoritism to coworkers who were not doing as much work as others.

Common questions about Fernbank Museum of Natural History

Answered by current and former employees at Fernbank Museum of Natural History

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Fernbank Museum of Natural History. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8

InHerSight Score
1.7Personal Development
2.8Career Opportunities
2.3Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight