FHLBank San Francisco Employee Reviews

Good work/life balance.
Contractor (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 19, 2018
Good work/life balance. Management not super efficient. People are friendly and lifers.

Workers on on the older side. Technology seems outdated in some areas.
Upper Management: Zero Leadership, No Plan, Zero Accountability
Facilities Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 11, 2018
The facts of the company are astounding. This company ran with 40% contractors and without a 5 year, or even a 2 year plan; nothing was discussed with the employee (top secret). Operations were mundane and antiquated, with little opportunity for advancement, and high turn-over. Upper management turtled behind their computers, thinking that they were problem solving by changing employee physical locations and job titles. This company had a revolving door, because people wanted to quit as soon as they started.
Pros
Met some amazing people, before they moved on
Cons
Refer to "Review"...etc...
Old School Culture
CORPORATE PROCUREMENT LEADER (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 10, 2018
The culture at the Bank is extremely top down with an increasing lack of diversity and inclusion the further up the food chain you look. There are change agents who are swimming upstream trying to make incremental progress, but unless they are able to remove the obstacles, it won't be enough to attract or retain even decent talent.
Lack of decent training
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 11, 2017
I was hired on as a contractor and I found out afterwards my position was a revolving door. When I arrived the first week - I sat with my trainer; second week - access to applications; third week - trainer was gone to fend for myself; fourth week - trainer was gone half of the week; and fifth week - I was told I was no longer needed. It felt I was expected to complete work yesterday with minimal training.
Pros
Beautiful office and nice people.
Cons
Lack of training and support from management.
Horrible company to work for
Sr sourcing manager (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 5, 2017
When the VP of the company is a University of Phoenix graduate, you know that that is the terrible management that is involved here. I wouldn't even recommend this to your enemies. Horrible work culture. Management steals credit for your work. Stay away and thank me later.
Pros
Nice location in San Francisco
Cons
Terrible work culture
Agile Development
Architect / Lead Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 13, 2017
We worked at lot with business managers at Federal Home Loan banks and the expectations were huge for the engineering team.

The development team is broken up between India and San Francisco.
Don't do it
IT Employee (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 21, 2017
Due to the management of the organization, I would state that it is one of the worst places to work. If you are a AVP or above, you are in the lap of luxury however; if you aren't at that level, your work is taken credit for by those and you are criticized at every turn or at least from the management that I worked for while I was there.
Pros
Decent benefits
Cons
No Growth for employee, not bonus for employee unless you are AVP and above, AVP and above lack management skills, micromanagement
Good work and life balance
Financial Analyst (Contractor) (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 2, 2017
Good work and life balance working environment. The bank is relatively very small. It is a government agency so the work paste is slower and sometimes can be very boring. It does not fit young professionals who want to pursue a more exciting career
No career advancement
Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 30, 2017
There is no career advancement here. Leadership needs to change, and I believe that those that are go-getters and want to do right by the company and themselves will not benefit from working here.
A good place to grow
Deputy to the Senior Vice President (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 10, 2016
They are very supportive of interns and it's a great place to get a start and the support of some of the most influential people in the finance and housing sector. That being said, there isn't much room for growth and the hours are tough to manage for any normal person.
Great people but uncertain about the future
Budget Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 24, 2015
FHLBSF has a lot of talented people and generally a good place to work at. I have learned a lot and have fine tuned my skills in analyzing data, reading and writing reports. I enjoy using my skills to help managers identify anomalies in their budget. The hardest part of my job is to see errors from accounting and feeling limited on how I can help. I am also uncertain about the changes at the bank given that the CEO has announced his retirement this year.
Pros
Talented and smart coeworkers
Cons
Uncertain about the future and managmenet
Procurement Manager / Director (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 5, 2014
Nice place to work but no growth. Low pay for work against Bay Area market.
Pros
Job secuity
Cons
No growth & low pay
FHLBsf
IT Project Manager (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 20, 2014
Good people to work with and nice life/work balance, however management can improve.
Pros
Good work life balance
Cons
Zero growth at the company. Low pay compared to the same position in other companies.
Results driven employer
Bookkeeper (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 12, 2013
The satellite office is located in Washington, DC to ensure quick communication between the Federal Home Loan Bank of San Francisco and the House, Senate and Congress. This office is open from 8am-8pm and is very results driven. The Senior Vice President leads this office and is a very hard working man who has high expectations from his support staff.
Pros
Networking, Skills learned through accomplishing tasks.
Cons
Hours and Benefits
Great Enviroment
Legislative intern (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 15, 2013
Great environment and exposure to the legislative and affairs of the Federal Home Loan Bank system.
Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 26, 2013
Great palce to work. Management staff in certain dpartments needs to be trained.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at FHLBank San Francisco. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

1.8Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

3.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

FHLBank San Francisco Reviews by Location