FHLBank San Francisco

Areas for improvement
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Energizing work tasks
  • Time and location flexibility

Good comp package, but not worth it if you want to actually work and improve

Good benefits, pay is okay but not great, pension is nice, office is brand new, relatively safe job security and the company is obligated to have a worthy mission.But management is a joke and have been losing people left and right, managers are two-faced and do not run a democracy but will repeatedly tell you they do, they will say your input is valued but they don't hear a thing, work-life balance is a joke because things go wrong so often and there's red tape and too many levels of approval for every task.

Pros

Pension, benefits, mission

Cons

Work life balance, politics, dictatorship, resistant to change

Peaceful environment

Employees are excellent. Company moved to a new building offering a wide variety of benefits including meals, gym use and open work environments. Pleasant

Awesome place to work

This was a great place to work. The people are professional and very nice and respectful. Do not discuss politics or religion and you will be fine. There are a large number of very nice and caring people.

Pros

Great pay

Cons

Constant regulation changes. Duffivult to change departments.

Nice place to work

This is a good place to work. There are plenty of capable people running the business and it offers lots of opportunities to learn and grow your skillset. I enjoyed it.

Great place to work, great CEO, good team, good benefits and vacation time. A bit top heavy, VPs need to take ownership. Very fast paced. Not the best work life balance.

Your experience matters.

Help out others considering your employer. Rate your employer.

Fast paced work envirnoment

The workplace culture was performance based, hard charging and strategic in the execution of all its objectives. Our jobs were structured however management allowed employees the space to complete their tasks. The institution performed a valuable service to the nation providing affordable financing for home mortgages through its more than 3,000 member banks. Our roll in the Legislative and Regulatory Affairs division centered around facilitating the bank's federal and state legislative agenda.

Small headcount and focused business niche

Executive leadership can change and styles too. Work life balance can be greatly different depending on the business or division. Surprisingly high amount of office politics given the small headcount.

Good work/life balance.

Good work/life balance. Management not super efficient. People are friendly and lifers. Workers on on the older side. Technology seems outdated in some areas.

Upper Management: Zero Leadership, No Plan, Zero Accountability

The facts of the company are astounding. This company ran with 40% contractors and without a 5 year, or even a 2 year plan; nothing was discussed with the employee (top secret). Operations were mundane and antiquated, with little opportunity for advancement, and high turn-over. Upper management turtled behind their computers, thinking that they were problem solving by changing employee physical locations and job titles. This company had a revolving door, because people wanted to quit as soon as they started.

Pros

Met some amazing people, before they moved on

Cons

Refer to "Review"...etc...

Old School Culture

The culture at the Bank is extremely top down with an increasing lack of diversity and inclusion the further up the food chain you look. There are change agents who are swimming upstream trying to make incremental progress, but unless they are able to remove the obstacles, it won't be enough to attract or retain even decent talent.

Lack of decent training

I was hired on as a contractor and I found out afterwards my position was a revolving door. When I arrived the first week - I sat with my trainer; second week - access to applications; third week - trainer was gone to fend for myself; fourth week - trainer was gone half of the week; and fifth week - I was told I was no longer needed. It felt I was expected to complete work yesterday with minimal training.

Pros

Beautiful office and nice people.

Cons

Lack of training and support from management.

Horrible company to work for

When the VP of the company is a University of Phoenix graduate, you know that that is the terrible management that is involved here. I wouldn't even recommend this to your enemies. Horrible work culture. Management steals credit for your work. Stay away and thank me later.

Pros

Nice location in San Francisco

Cons

Terrible work culture

Agile Development

We worked at lot with business managers at Federal Home Loan banks and the expectations were huge for the engineering team. The development team is broken up between India and San Francisco.

Don't do it

Due to the management of the organization, I would state that it is one of the worst places to work. If you are a AVP or above, you are in the lap of luxury however; if you aren't at that level, your work is taken credit for by those and you are criticized at every turn or at least from the management that I worked for while I was there.

Pros

Decent benefits

Cons

No Growth for employee, not bonus for employee unless you are AVP and above, AVP and above lack management skills, micromanagement

Good work and life balance

Good work and life balance working environment. The bank is relatively very small. It is a government agency so the work paste is slower and sometimes can be very boring. It does not fit young professionals who want to pursue a more exciting career

No career advancement

There is no career advancement here. Leadership needs to change, and I believe that those that are go-getters and want to do right by the company and themselves will not benefit from working here.

A good place to grow

They are very supportive of interns and it's a great place to get a start and the support of some of the most influential people in the finance and housing sector. That being said, there isn't much room for growth and the hours are tough to manage for any normal person.

Great people but uncertain about the future

FHLBSF has a lot of talented people and generally a good place to work at. I have learned a lot and have fine tuned my skills in analyzing data, reading and writing reports. I enjoy using my skills to help managers identify anomalies in their budget. The hardest part of my job is to see errors from accounting and feeling limited on how I can help. I am also uncertain about the changes at the bank given that the CEO has announced his retirement this year.

Pros

Talented and smart coeworkers

Cons

Uncertain about the future and managmenet

Nice place to work but no growth. Low pay for work against Bay Area market.

Pros

Job secuity

Cons

No growth & low pay

FHLBsf

Good people to work with and nice life/work balance, however management can improve.

Pros

Good work life balance

Cons

Zero growth at the company. Low pay compared to the same position in other companies.

Results driven employer

The satellite office is located in Washington, DC to ensure quick communication between the Federal Home Loan Bank of San Francisco and the House, Senate and Congress. This office is open from 8am-8pm and is very results driven. The Senior Vice President leads this office and is a very hard working man who has high expectations from his support staff.

Pros

Networking, Skills learned through accomplishing tasks.

Cons

Hours and Benefits

Ask a question about working or interviewing at FHLBank San Francisco. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Ratings from women

2.9
InHerSight Score
1.8Personal Development
3.0Career Opportunities
3.5Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight