Fiber Materials Inc Employee Reviews

Growing and striving for continuous improvement
Director of Operations (Current Employee) –  Biddeford, MEJuly 29, 2018
I enjoy working at a technology driven company that provides solutions for amazing and challenging applications: supporting our countrie's defense, producing components used in space exploration, and providing products supporting the aerospace, semiconductor, and racing industries, among others. It also has the benefit of being in Maine which brings many positive elements (people, outdoor activities, food, etc).

As with all companies, there are areas in which to improve. There is an ongoing effort to make the company a better place for the team and a stronger supplier to our customers. Input is frequently sought from the employees. This can be for significant issues/concerns or for small incremental improvements in an area. There has been significant growth the past few years and the future looks very promising. I am looking forward to it growing and the opportunities that come with it.
Pros
Value and impact of the products; interesting and challenging work
Cons
Pace in which change is adopted
A fresh perspective of a striving company
Project Engineer (Current Employee) –  Biddeford, MEJune 22, 2018
I have recently started with FMI. I have been fortunate to start building connections with fellow teammates relatively quick. I see a mix of opinions about the company. The perspectives come from top to bottom, newly hired to seasoned members. My take away from it all is that the company has a strong foundation with an inaccurate reputation. That being said there are opportunities (which are currently being acted upon) to improve the work environment and grow successfully. It takes collective effort up and down the chain to improve culture and efficiency. I see and actively participate in the drive to improve all aspects of the work environment. The important thing to take away is change is always happening, management does attempt to make good "value add" decisions but not everything can be instantaneous and it requires time and patience.

The components we manufacture have significant value to our country through aerospace, automotive and commercial space industries. The work is personally rewarding. That alone is a driving factor that makes me feel like I have an impact. Every person plays a valuable role.
Pros
Benefits, dynamic work environment, American mfg company, entry level positions are starting to see benefits and pay increase!
Cons
Attitudes of team members needs to improve, not enough team building events outside of the company, points system
New and like what is going on
CFO (Current Employee) –  Biddeford, MEJune 21, 2018
It's great to be part of a company that is important to our national defense & NASA. Plus it's made in the USA! Very high level of job security working with government agencies. Much more work life balance than manufacturing companies that compete commercially. New ownership & CEO listen to employees and are investing into people and process for the long run. Lot's of opportunity to make a difference and be part of an American manufacturers growth.
Pros
Made in USA, supports US defense and NASA, opportunity to make a difference
Cons
Many people don't know FMI exists or what we do
Great co-workers lousy management
Machinist (Current Employee) –  Biddeford, MEJune 8, 2018
Not a good place to work if you’re looking for advancement they have the wrong people doing certain jobs. Management is a joke and the head of HR is useless
Pros
Work with great co-workers
Cons
Low pay
Harsh stressful environment and bad management!
Weave (Former Employee) –  Biddeford, MEMay 16, 2018
Main room they hire for is stressful they push production hard and bypass everything else. It’s all about the numbers! The people you work with are really 2faced-talking sweetly to your face then from another person you’re hearing that they said nasty stuff about you and told a bunch of coworkers. Lots of rumors going all around. Also HR seems to have lots of problems (HR workers wearing see through clothing or low cut shirts) seems innappropriate and they don’t seem to know what they are talking about about the job. Lastly the management is all over the place! One boss tells you this, another tells you the opposite. And there’s a assistant in the room that seems like the head boss, but I was told she is not. It was hard to tell who to go to for management when I had problems.
Pros
Some friendly coworkers, benefits
Cons
Hard environment, hard to work with coworkers, appropriate attire and no clear management
Work is varied
Supervisor/Sr. Technician (Current Employee) –  Biddeford, MEApril 18, 2018
Daily activities can be as varied as you want. Keeping busy is not hard at all. Management is a bit in flux and has been for several years. Company wants to expand quickly but does not have the manpower to handle the load.
Pros
varied job tasks
Cons
always in a hurry and no real cohesive planning
Productive and fun with everyone chit chatting throughout the day
Hand Weaver (Former Employee) –  Biddeford, MEMarch 21, 2018
Everyone is assigned to their destinated working station and paring up with either an old partner or a new one depending on management and we would start on our part whether it's a new part and having to start from scratch or finishing up the already woven product. At certain morning the room will be filled with coworkers talking to their partner or to the entire department floor about their weekend and other mornings we would work semi-quietly. The hardest part of the job is waiting on to top managers to come to our department and removing the product from the working station so we can place a new part to start weaving the new materials. We know they are very busy so we moved on to a newer working station. The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting and socializing with my coworkers. They are funny and insightful with whatever topic we were discussing for that day.
Pros
Everyone bring in food to share during certain lunch breaks.
Cons
Division from one department to the next.
Excessive workload with understaffed departments
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Biddeford, MENovember 27, 2017
Seems like company is more interested in hiring administrative/sales personnel rather than maintenance or production personnel, where the work is accomplished. For example, HR dept. has more personnel than maintenance has mechanics. Training program is non-existent.
Pros
Set work hours
Cons
workload is reactive rather than proactive...PM program is a mess.
worst job ever
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Biddeford, ME 04005October 28, 2017
the first day I meet my supervisor, I had been working for about two weeks. He came in told me he had less than 2 years left there to leave him the F alone. there were a lot of drugs and drinking on the job. some of the people took it upon themselves to be self appointed leaders. the were down right cruel. locking you out of machinery you were trying to work on. or making it hard to get tools and material to do your job.
They only care about the bottom line
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Biddeford, MEAugust 29, 2017
It's supposed to be one company with two locations, but employees are not treated the same at both sites. Site two is so toxic they can't keep staff. Human resources is a joke. No fault point system for attendance. Doctors notes don't matter, accidents don't matter. You get a point and it doesn't roll of until a year later. 9 points you get suspended three days no pay and termination at ten points. Company is a joke.
Pros
Decent health benefits
Cons
Unequal treatment of employees regardless of years of service.
Space Program
Advance Program Planner (Former Employee) –  Biddeford, MEAugust 5, 2017
The work at FMI was rewarding although the time it was family owned and the management was steady and we were working on Space programs was absolutely great the time was exciting and people were excited unfortunately the owner of the company passed away and the company was sold to and IPO that came in and basically demolished the company and the most senior and knowledgeable management left the company at which time created a very stressful environment for everyone. I chose to leave on my terms and I am very grateful for the opportunities I was given.
Pros
Working on Space Programs
Cons
The Company change when purchased by new company
Production
Fiber Technician (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYApril 21, 2017
Good work place Great team work product where good to work with and fun place to get along with people to help get the job done the right way. Strong communication with managers.
Pros
Lunch
Cons
Short breaks
Busy day in the work place
Sales Admin (Former Employee) –  Biddeford, MEOctober 21, 2015
Customer interaction is a big part of the day. Paperwork attention to detail is key. I enjoyed my time at Fiber Materials Inc. and being part of the Sales team.
Pros
Customer interaction
Cons
Drama
Last Resort
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Biddeford, MESeptember 18, 2015
Only accept a job at FMI as a last resort. The company is trying to make improvements and improve their image but they have a long way to go and it's going to be a bumpy road.

Job security is OK depending on your position and potential for advancement is limited. Pay/benefits is average at best unless you are leadership. Management is all over the place and everyone is off doing their own thing. Horrible communication.

They claim safety and culture are important...until they try and push everything ahead with limited staff to support production.

You have been warned.
I looked forward to going to work everyday.
Production/Facility Manager (Former Employee) –  Presque Isle, MEMay 19, 2015
Worked with a highly skilled team from management to techs. Worked well with others while researching solutions to complex applications.
Pros
Yearly bonuses
Cons
Uneven workload.
Many self-directed learning opportunities amid constant change
Contracts Administrator, Buyer, Programmer Analyst (Former Employee) –  Biddeford, MEFebruary 12, 2015
I enjoyed the diverse and often unexpected range of opportunities for self-directed learning that presnted at Fiber Materials Inc.
I enjoyed rich working relationships with a very wide range of coworkers, with a very wide range in education and experience levels, from the CEO to the CFO, to the engineering groups, to the lab, and production groups.
Typical days were quite different from year to year.
I functioned somewhat independently for a couple of those years.
High energy moves quickly
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Biddeford MaineFebruary 17, 2013
This company you need a high energy level, fast passed. People are wonderful, the management is flexible. People are wonderful work with.

The hardest part of job is wondering if you will have a job.
Pros
pays for college
Cons
bad healthcare