FIELD & STREAM Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
productive
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Cranberry Township, PAAugust 14, 2018
I felt very comfortable working at Field&Stream. All of my co workers were very thoughtful and worked as a team. I really enjoyed my time there during the summer.
You will never move up
Camping Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Huntington, WVJuly 12, 2018
Don't expect to ever move up; unless you are butt buddies with the managers, they will never consider you as a potential candidate for a promotion. I knew good employees who were constantly passed over for someone with less knowledge and experience
Cons
No chance at advancement
An okay job
Sales (Former Employee) –  Washington, PAJuly 7, 2018
The people who worked there were all very nice and heart warming which made it easy to work there. The management had a clear plan of what they wanted and communicated it efficiently. The downside to the job was no benefits, no job security, and they constantly screwed up my schedule.
Pros
Nice people and work environment
Cons
Bad scheduling, left for college and couldn’t get job back
Freight-flow associate
Freight-Flow Associate (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJuly 6, 2018
Our store was in the grand opening stage when I started so we received a couple trucks a day, this was reduced to one or two trucks a week after the grand opening though. It was fairly strenuous work, but nothing insurmountable. The leadership team was amazing; civil, understanding and even accommodating at times. My co-workers were also incredible and very knowledgeable in their respective area(s) of the store. I would highly recommend working for this particular branch of Field & Stream!
Pros
Quality people, Defined role
Cons
For me personally, the only con was that of lack of hours after the first month
n/a
Assistant Manager - Troy (Former Employee) –  Troy, MIMay 23, 2018
There was no work life balance at all with company. We would spend thousands of dollars to get ready for ceo visit that would last two hours. We sell guns but ceo does not want to be associated with guns.
fun
Gun Salesman (Current Employee) –  Florence, ALMay 9, 2018
It is fine. I learned to help out customers. They taught me how to sell credit cards and guns. I now know how to PDT label gondos, and price match products.
Good Store to work at.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 7, 2018
Was a sales associate. I would stock up isles for sales events. The management staff were very nice and willing to help if you needed it. Was part-time, but I heard that if you managed to get a full-time position, the benefits are really good.
Very unstable hours, but nice people to work with
Camping associate (Former Employee) –  Hoover, ALApril 30, 2018
Excellent training and discounts on products. It could be very slow at times leaving you with nothing to do. Stockroom didn't have enough space for back stock.
Pros
Great discounts
Cons
Not enough hours
Retail
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Miamisburg, OHApril 30, 2018
typical retail environment in outdoors retailer. Management easy to communicate with if problems arise. Black Friday is a hectic time to work retail regardless of location.
Ces
Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Cary, NCApril 20, 2018
Bad Pay, Great managers and co workers. Poor upper management (corporate). Great atmosphere, loyal customers. I believe this company is going to thrive in the outdoor market if they Ould fix corporate
Productive yet slacking
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Big Flats, NYApril 7, 2018
The team that i work with is productive but lazy when it comes to actually doing the work that needs to be done. Meaning, at times what needs to be done is done, but some workers don't take the job serious enough.
Great company overall, but upset about management and unequal treatment.
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Troy, MIApril 3, 2018
A typical day at work consisted of working the Front End cash registers and assisting customers. Depending on how busy the store was you might be moved to another department to help them catch up, such as Apparel. I learned more about customer service and how to deal with customers who are in the wrong, but need special attention to resolve the situation. The hardest part of the job is the competition between the Sales People and Cashiers for keeping numbers up for the in-store rewards and credit card. My favorite part of the job were some of the people, both employees and customers.

I would suggest finding a location that will help in situations of hostilities from other employees, and sexism from management based on pay and advancement within the store. I would like to stress that this is my own personal opinion based off of how I perceived all events and situations. I cannot guarantee this is the current workplace environment.
Pros
Great customers/employees, and good discounts on merchandise.
Cons
hostile workplace
Fun team to work with
Firearms Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 27, 2018
Great place to work, very team oriented. Communication isn’t the greatest but other than that it’s an awesome company to work for. Some managers do not care while others love there job.
Pros
Free lunches for great customer service
great place...for what it is
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Washington, PAMarch 25, 2018
don't look to advance. it doesn't happen quickly due to someone having to retire first. cashier hours are almost non-existent. everyone to work with in the washington, PA store was fantastic
Pros
awesome people
Cons
slow/boring, no hours
Stressful
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Melville, NYMarch 14, 2018
The work atmosphere was very stressful. Not enough staffing. Not enough customer service. Always hard to locate items. Staff did not work together. Conflicts between employees and management over the headsets.
Pros
Discount, Flexable
Cons
Poor Communication, Understaffed
Retail is difficult during seasonal promotions
Associate in Apparel (Former Employee) –  Crescent Springs, KY 41017March 9, 2018
Relaxed atmosphere until seasonal promotions, i.e., Christmas, Hunting Season when it becomes chaotic and difficult to manage working with customers who are rude abrasive demanding and destructive.
Every store is different and the environment varries greatly.
District Loss Prevention Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 7, 2018
The work experience varies greatly from store to store. The team that you work with and the management staff cam make or break the work environment. Most stores do a good job of hiring people that are passionate about the department they work in.
Pros
Great team members.
Cons
Constant poor decisions made by corporate.
Great fellow associates, terrible management
Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Elmira, NYMarch 3, 2018
Management is a joke, advancement opportunities go to the employee most willing to brown nose not to the ones deserving of the advancement. Poor corporate communication and policies.
Ok to work for
Firearms Sales (Current Employee) –  Erie, PAFebruary 28, 2018
There is no room for advancement and they will not hire full time. The hardest part of the job is some of the managers. The pay rate is ok for retail.
Pleasant company to work for
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Troy, MIFebruary 26, 2018
When I was hired it was a new store and it was very busy and fast paced. As time went on it slowed down but I enjoyed selling guns with the knowledge that I have.
Pros
Type of product I sold
Cons
Not enough hours or benefits