Filament Games

Filament Games Employee Reviews in Madison, WI

Excellent place to start or end a career, but no room for advancement
Filament is a fine company with cool projects and great people. The work life balance is also excellent with a work week rarely going over 45-50 hours. However, the pay is fairly low and there is almost no room for advancement. The positions are also pay bracketed, so the low pay won't increase. This is an excellent place to work if you are just getting out of school or if you are nearing retirement and are looking to escape the more demanding lifestyle of other studios.
Good company culture, but needs to grow up
A typical day for me had me tracking my projects, holding regular meetings with my game teams, and chasing down director-level duties or managing my direct reports (up to 3).

Company culture is great and mission-driven.

Hardest part of the job was keeping scope in check.

Was laid off without severance after 3.5 years service, which was a huge disappointment.

Fantastic, dedicated co-workers. Upper management are very smart, but uncertain where the learning games market is going and how to steer the company accordingly.

Company should offer equity to employees.
Pros
Relatively little crunch time, great office space, positive atmosphere and people, fun working environment and range of clients
Cons
Filament makes games but pays like an educational institution, no foresight to set aside money for severance for key employees when times get tight, production has traditionally been very over-allocated at the studio
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Filament Games?
Care to share?
Help people considering your employer. Share your experience.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Filament Games. Our community is ready to answer.
Ratings from women
InHerSight Score
3.8Personal Development
3.5Career Opportunities
2.8Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Filament Games Reviews by Job Title