FINANCIAL GROUP Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Commission sales
Representative (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IANovember 27, 2017
This is a commission sales job to sell life, health insurance and annuities. Also able to go to businesses to sell 401(k) plans. It is a lot of cold calling.
Pros
Potential
Cons
No salary
High pressure and cold calling
PRINCIPAL (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIOctober 19, 2017
Very long training program which involved extensive outgoing cold calling via the telephone. Presentations very scripted and monitored.
Failed to provide enough time to develop a book of business in the timeframe established.
Pros
Training
Cons
Cold calling
Principal Financial Group
PRINCIPAL (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 28, 2017
I really loved this company! I was an account coordinator and worked for 2 sales people. I took care of 30 small group accounts.
I worked directly with medical insurance and unfortunately before a year was over, medical was taken away and the company worked with anxillary only. Myself ans 2 others were laid off.
Pros
Good management, great benefits.
Principle Financial
Ind Life & Disability Registered Representative (Former Employee) –  West Des Moines, IASeptember 6, 2017
Principle terminated 600 people the week before Christmas and the CEO got to keep his golden parachute. After they accepted bailout money from the Federal Government
Good work; poor leaders.
Assistant Director (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAAugust 30, 2017
Principal Financial Group offers great opportunities for individuals who want to live in a small city but work for a large, global company. Each business unit and the central business units (marketing, law, finance, etc.) each have their own cultures and offer different opportunities. In recent years, the company has tried to create a new, more global, culture by creating community work spaces, eliminating seniority-based benefits and PTO banks and "empowering" employees through improved remote work options and flexible schedules. Some leaders, including some leaders in HR, have been challenged by these changes and have been slow to adapt to empowered employees and a flexible work environment. Seniority, especially in leaders, is still recognized as superior to leadership skills and performance. As such, the current environment is challenging and, at times, uncertain.
Pros
Principal offers global carreers in a small city, the downtown campus is connected by skywalk and tunnels, senior leaders are mostly promoted from within and have good strategic vision, and each of the business units are leaders in their industries.
Cons
Many leaders are leaders because of years of service, not performance or leadership skills. Compensation is low in the local market.
Great private industry job
Internship (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAAugust 11, 2017
Offer great benefits and work culture. Team structure is very beneficial for entry level. Everyone is enjoyable to work with and if help is needed it is not hard to find.
Pros
Work life balance is fantastic
Cons
This company does not seem to care about its employees, and it is a very stressful place to work.
Call Center Representative (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WVJune 7, 2017
Typical day of work involved: Answering customer calls and trying to resolve their issues with their electric bills and service. This company handles collections: taking payments, and trying to resolve customer issues
Very stressful work environment; dealing with customers who can be very rude and angry.
The only enjoyable part of this job was the friends I made while working there. The hardest part of the job was low pay and customers calling and yelling, cursing you, and taking their circumstances out on you.
Pros
Cons
Short breaks, Costly benefits package, low salary, no advancement opportunities, high turnover rate, poor management
Great Place to Work
Principal (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAApril 6, 2017
I had a great experience both during and after my employment at PFG. Very good Management and leadership. I would highly recommend it to anyone as a place to work.
a Large company
PRINCIPAL (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAMarch 27, 2017
I started as a contractor to higher. Became an employee. However, my skills were not utilized. Company management structure was not stable. Movement from task to task, manager to manager did not promote growth of product knowledge nor skill set growth.
Pros
A large company
Cons
Management philosophy did not promote stability and career growth
Good Company to work for
Information Technology Specialist (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAMarch 21, 2017
PFG is a good company to work for. They can be willing to work with with what your life gives you.
They are big enough that there is always something new you can try
PRINCIPAL (Former Employee) –  Purchase, NYMarch 7, 2017
Principal Financial; Group is a great, fun place to work. Employees have high tenure, industry professionals, can learn a lot from industry veterans. Principal Financial Group is big on training their employees. You will get a lot of it! They are a company that is ethical with their customers and they stand behind the products that they sell. I would love to work here again.
Pros
Fun employee culture
fun people to work with
Principal (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAFebruary 2, 2017
always a new task coming your way, Dental claims was a great place to work and have a great responsibilities daily to attend to. Cons to working there I can't really think of any at this time. Great career moves happen daily within.
Pros
great people
Cons
a lot of walking to get to your desk
Productive and fun workplace
Principal (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAFebruary 1, 2017
Good working experience,healthy environment ,work-life balanced,superb work-culture,Growth chances maximum,got huge oppurtunites to polish my IT skills here
Very supportive
Sales Associate, Western and Southern (Former Employee) –  Monaca, PAJanuary 14, 2017
Western and Southern provided excellent training and management follow up. It was very difficult to gain more business, as I had no one in the need for insurance services. There were not enough cold call leads to generate more business. The book of business that I had were old policies, where the insured had health issues that they could not maintain the level of insurance that they needed.
Pros
Cons
Commission only, no leads
Great employee benefits team
Principal (Former Employee) –  Parsippany, NJNovember 29, 2016
Management team created a positive work environment, encouraging collaboration with co-workers and provided training to keep employees on the cutting edge.
Special Treatment
Principal (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MISeptember 5, 2016
I have enjoyed my time with Principal but there are a number of employees that receive treatment that others do not. They believe that some privileges only belong to the ones that have been there long enough to deserve them.
Pros
Good work life balance.
Cons
Very conservaive
The Principal Financial Group is a great investment company to work for.
Assistant Director Capital Markets (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAuMarch 8, 2016
The Principal Financial Group offered me the opportunity to work closely with the senior management team who valued my professional opinion. While working on the Capital Markets team we focused on mergers and acquisitions as well as capital funding. There was never a typical day in our area, which many times brought on new projects withing a moments notice and often required quick turnaround. You had to be a self starter and be willing to put your professional judgment to the test. Principal has outstanding people to work with.
Busy but satisfactory
Principal (Former Employee) –  Ames, IANovember 23, 2015
I learned a lot at PFG while working in their smaller location. I learned about MSDRG and groupers. I learned about and understood all the terminology that surrounds insurance processing and benefits such as co-pay, co-insurance, incidental, usual and customary, and so forth. It was nice to understand the insurance aspect having come from the coding and billing world.
Best Opportunity I ever had!
Principal (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 8, 2015
I started with this company at an entry level claim examiner position. Over the course of the next 12 years I held numerous positions, all promotions and excellent career skill building. All employees were afforded education and development opportunities. A diverse culture thrived. This company knew how to it right!
Pros
Excellent benefits and fair salary reviews
productive place to work for
Principal (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IASeptember 28, 2015
Awesome place to work it is a great place to work the great work culture nothing to complain about nice feeling to work with
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
short breaks