Finisar Employee Reviews

Very involved tech job
Contract Employee (Former Employee) –  Allen, TXOctober 2, 2018
Everything at Finisar was very focused towards the goal of having meet deadlines and it was a very engaged environment allowing that sort of optimization. Time management and organization were key and I definitely learned a lot about hardware manufacturing. Definitely a really solid company with good morals.
play ping pong
Technician (Current Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CASeptember 12, 2018
- Troubleshoot malfunctions and provide quick, effective repairs for test station.
- Troubleshoot pcbas to component level,build new test stations and wrrite/modify test procedures, support engineers for new products.
Pros
flexible time
Cons
no overtime
Not the stereotypical tech company
Data Analyst (Current Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAJuly 10, 2018
The company is extremely quiet and relaxed, with very nice people to work with and great benefits. Management can use some work in being transparent with people, and they can also do more to foster a more fun environment. While the environment is peaceful and benefits are great, work life is mundane.
Productive and nice environment
Label Design Engineer (Current Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAJune 21, 2018
Great company with lots of great people. Company is a world class leader in Fiber Optics and 3D Sensing technology. Factories located worldwide. Great campus.
Pros
free dinners
Cons
no pet healthcare
very good
Failure Analysis Engineer (Current Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAJune 13, 2018
Daily calibrating test equipment's and Document for calibration spec.
Failure Analysis and tracking data and root cause analysis.
working on new prototype...etc.
Very nice environment and friendly atmosphere.
Action oriented
Senior Engineering Technician (Former Employee) –  Horsham, PAJune 5, 2018
Finisar was an excellent place to have freedom to voice your thoughts about improvements and all management listened considered and implemented good and great ideas.
Too Political
Sr. Supply Chain Commodity Manager (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaMay 20, 2018
My tenure there was very short so take it with that in mind. I felt management was not as knowledgeable in their responsibilities as I would have expected. Management was easily manipulated by some subordinates. This sometimes got in the way of staying focused on the task at hand.
Very relaxed
Fab Operator (Former Employee) –  Allen, TXMay 14, 2018
although there were multiple changes made for no absolute reason the working environment was very relaxed. The management was not to terrible but needs to improve.
easy job here.
Lead Embedded Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Horsham, PAMay 1, 2018
There is no consistent work load. Sometime very busy but sometime nothing to do. You need to know how to keep updating your technical skills all the time.
the company has nice co-workers to work with but has too many levels of management
Senior Planner (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAApril 29, 2018
I enjoyed to work with nice co-workers and domestic vendors and offshore suppliers in Asia. I have sharpen my NPI managing skills and problem solving skill in component sourcing.
good company
Engineering Technician (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAMarch 26, 2018
Interesting work. target market goals were to provide a quality product where users experience was always considered. Trade shows were always interesting
A typical day
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fremont, CAMarch 16, 2018
A typical day is a never dull one. Something new everyday & the time would fly by. Very challenging and learn as you go. You need to be a fast learner
Product engineering technician (Former Employee) –  Allen, TX 75013February 10, 2018
A good place to work with good advancement opportunity. The hours can be hectic and fast paced. But it is a very good place to work for. Especially for learning new things. Started in the water fab ended as a product tech
Pros
Advancement
Cons
Distance from home
Fun and learn new things
MS1 (Current Employee) –  Oracle officeJanuary 22, 2018
Very interesting work place. Many things need to be learn. Even though the job is not in my major during my studies but i try to learn and performed during my job. It is really interesting job. Thus, i had explored many things regarding about electronic jobs.
Pros
Many friends
Cons
healthcare
Great job and work place. QA Team strikes out!
Title QA Technician / Test Technician (Current Employee) –  Horsham, PANovember 6, 2017
Loved my daily QA Technicians duties. Incoming and Final Inspection, First articles, Set up and programing the QVI RAM 300 inspection machine. Using microscopes, calipers and several different gauges.
SDS Safety Data Sheets (as Needed), ESD audits and repair (Monthly and quarterly).
Management was very weak! First manager was very weak and didn't care because he was retiring and gave up the fight to do a good job. Second manager was also very weak. Too young and inexperienced for the position.
Hardest part of the job was working with the QA team. No one cared about getting the job done and earning a days wages!
Most enjoyable part of the job was working with all the other departments.
Pros
Stock options, bonus, flexible hours.
Cons
QA Team
Lovely Co-workers
Fab Wafer Operator (Former Employee) –  Allen, TXNovember 3, 2017
I have enjoyed my work and my workplace as it was my own.If i have to recommend this place to a Friend i would love to. I have learned and gained so much from this Company.
Terrible Management
Wafer Fab Operator (Current Employee) –  Allen, TXAugust 21, 2017
Management is not great. Micro managing takes place all the time. No room to advance, asbestos in facility and nothing being done about it. Forced to take PTO if you need time off
Beware if you have ambition
Associate (Former Employee) –  USAAugust 17, 2017
Your experience at Finisar will vary greatly depending on the type of employee you are and what you are expecting from your career. If you are the type of person that isn't interested in career advancement and just looking for a stable job where all you need to do is show up to work every day (nothing wrong with that), then this company will be a good fit for you.

On the other hand, if you are ambitious, hard-working, and expect to advance your career at Finisar, you will not be happy there. Personnel management at Finisar is among the worst you will ever encounter, which is a shame because aside from that, they are a good company and have good industry vision. If you are considering a career with Finisar, consider the following:

1. They don't care a wit about personal development: Finisar likes out-of-the-box talent and would rather hire someone off the street then to pay to develop the skills of existing employees. This is evident in their tuition reimbursement program, which is just about the bare minimum that a company can offer and still say they have a program. Internal job applicants are ignored unless it's a parallel position. They will not spend resources to develop you for a higher position.

2. Status Quo is king at Finisar: Finisar does not like to promote from within. New opportunities are reserved for new hires, and company favorites. They don't like to backfill positions either, and giving promotions means disrupting their established order. Don't expect a promotion, if you're low on the org chart, that's where you'll stay whether you are
  more... qualified to move ahead or not.

3. Ambition is seen as a threat: If you are the ambitious, career advancement type, your ambition will be interpreted as greed and you will be resented by senior management, even if you are worthy of advancement. There have even been instances where workers who have found other jobs and threatened to resign agreed to raises and promotions in bad faith, where their offers were rescinded after they cut ties with the other party.

4. Poor performance goes unchecked: Rather than sanctioning workers who show consistently poor work performance/output, they are simply ignored and their workload is transferred to high-performers. This creates a environment that empowers the lazy to stay lazy, while creating a hostile, disruptive, and resentful environment for those who take their career seriously. There is a lot of "dead wood" at this company.

So think long and hard before considering a career with these guys. If you're the best at what you do and your end game is to advance your career, you would definitely be better off somewhere else.
Pros
Great products, great corporate vision
Cons
No possibility of advancement, poor performance goes unchecked
Finisar having a nice working facility, nice workplace culture, weekend graveyard ship , friendly and casual
Test operator (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAJuly 31, 2017
Finisar have a friendly working and healthy environment for it's employees. What I enjoyed most was the company provide the exercise facility with yoga and other health care classes that I and other employees could use before or after long day working. In addition, a company subsidize every weekday with healthy hot lunch.

My typical day of work, I had 12 hours graveyard weekend ship Starting from 6:00 pm to 6:30 am next day. I was working responsively and independently but also as a team and get along with my teammate to meet the production quantities and qualities requirements.

The great part of working at Finisar was working environment, the hard part was long hours and very competitive!!

Overall, I was enjoyed working there.
Pros
Exercise facility, subsidize lunch, nice self serve cafeteria with hot coffee and teas
Cons
Long working hours
Small establishment with bold professional workers.
MANUFACTURING TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Fremont, CAMay 9, 2017
Working here was a great place to acquire the knowledge to meet the Finisars demands. What I enjoyed about working here is that I never felt like we were being rushed to meet the demand, instead the employees, upper management and environment all helped play a roll in making me work hard enough to meet or exceed the daily quota.
Pros
Free lunch parties
Cons
slightly small establishment