Finisar Employee Reviews

Worst Semiconductor company that I’ve ever worked for.
Technician (Current Employee) –  Sherman, TXDecember 9, 2018
Unstructured, poor management and communication, employee orientation was very uninformative, very low work inventory, company preached that everyone there was to treat each other like they’re family but not the case in any way. Fab seemed like it was thrown together very quickly and this was cause for a multitude of issues.
Pros
Competitive salary and benefits
Cons
Too many to list
Very involved tech job
Contract Employee (Former Employee) –  Allen, TXOctober 2, 2018
Everything at Finisar was very focused towards the goal of having meet deadlines and it was a very engaged environment allowing that sort of optimization. Time management and organization were key and I definitely learned a lot about hardware manufacturing. Definitely a really solid company with good morals.
Not the stereotypical tech company
Data Analyst (Current Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAJuly 10, 2018
The company is extremely quiet and relaxed, with very nice people to work with and great benefits. Management can use some work in being transparent with people, and they can also do more to foster a more fun environment. While the environment is peaceful and benefits are great, work life is mundane.
depends which group you are in, etc
Senior Accountant (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CANovember 6, 2018
depends on the team you work, the financial management not good one. not life work balance, bad manager, but coworkers good though. need you figure out by yourself
Pros
good coworkers
Cons
bad management and pay
play ping pong
Technician (Current Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CASeptember 12, 2018
- Troubleshoot malfunctions and provide quick, effective repairs for test station.
- Troubleshoot pcbas to component level,build new test stations and wrrite/modify test procedures, support engineers for new products.
Pros
flexible time
Cons
no overtime
Productive and exciting
Fab operator (Current Employee) –  Sherman, TXOctober 31, 2018
Finisar is a great company to work for with room for growth. Everyone that I've been in contact with have been kind and helpful. Overall this is a company that I would recommend for a good stable work place.
Work at Finisar is fun, good
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Allen, TXOctober 9, 2018
I liked to work at Finisar, light job, after trained, I have the opportunity to work by myself and discuss/share with engineer about the experienced they have.
It's quiet and clean place
Too Political
Sr. Supply Chain Commodity Manager (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaMay 20, 2018
My tenure there was very short so take it with that in mind. I felt management was not as knowledgeable in their responsibilities as I would have expected. Management was easily manipulated by some subordinates. This sometimes got in the way of staying focused on the task at hand.
Productive and nice environment
Label Design Engineer (Current Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAJune 21, 2018
Great company with lots of great people. Company is a world class leader in Fiber Optics and 3D Sensing technology. Factories located worldwide. Great campus.
Pros
free dinners
Cons
no pet healthcare
very good
Failure Analysis Engineer (Current Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAJune 13, 2018
Daily calibrating test equipment's and Document for calibration spec.
Failure Analysis and tracking data and root cause analysis.
working on new prototype...etc.
Very nice environment and friendly atmosphere.
the company has nice co-workers to work with but has too many levels of management
Senior Planner (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAApril 29, 2018
I enjoyed to work with nice co-workers and domestic vendors and offshore suppliers in Asia. I have sharpen my NPI managing skills and problem solving skill in component sourcing.
Action oriented
Senior Engineering Technician (Former Employee) –  Horsham, PAJune 5, 2018
Finisar was an excellent place to have freedom to voice your thoughts about improvements and all management listened considered and implemented good and great ideas.
Very relaxed
Fab Operator (Former Employee) –  Allen, TXMay 14, 2018
although there were multiple changes made for no absolute reason the working environment was very relaxed. The management was not to terrible but needs to improve.
easy job here.
Lead Embedded Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Horsham, PAMay 1, 2018
There is no consistent work load. Sometime very busy but sometime nothing to do. You need to know how to keep updating your technical skills all the time.
Product engineering technician (Former Employee) –  Allen, TX 75013February 10, 2018
A good place to work with good advancement opportunity. The hours can be hectic and fast paced. But it is a very good place to work for. Especially for learning new things. Started in the water fab ended as a product tech
Pros
Advancement
Cons
Distance from home
Fun and learn new things
MS1 (Current Employee) –  Oracle officeJanuary 22, 2018
Very interesting work place. Many things need to be learn. Even though the job is not in my major during my studies but i try to learn and performed during my job. It is really interesting job. Thus, i had explored many things regarding about electronic jobs.
Pros
Many friends
Cons
healthcare
good company
Engineering Technician (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAMarch 26, 2018
Interesting work. target market goals were to provide a quality product where users experience was always considered. Trade shows were always interesting
Great job and work place. QA Team strikes out!
Title QA Technician / Test Technician (Current Employee) –  Horsham, PANovember 6, 2017
Loved my daily QA Technicians duties. Incoming and Final Inspection, First articles, Set up and programing the QVI RAM 300 inspection machine. Using microscopes, calipers and several different gauges.
SDS Safety Data Sheets (as Needed), ESD audits and repair (Monthly and quarterly).
Management was very weak! First manager was very weak and didn't care because he was retiring and gave up the fight to do a good job. Second manager was also very weak. Too young and inexperienced for the position.
Hardest part of the job was working with the QA team. No one cared about getting the job done and earning a days wages!
Most enjoyable part of the job was working with all the other departments.
Pros
Stock options, bonus, flexible hours.
Cons
QA Team
A typical day
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fremont, CAMarch 16, 2018
A typical day is a never dull one. Something new everyday & the time would fly by. Very challenging and learn as you go. You need to be a fast learner
Small establishment with bold professional workers.
MANUFACTURING TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Fremont, CAMay 9, 2017
Working here was a great place to acquire the knowledge to meet the Finisars demands. What I enjoyed about working here is that I never felt like we were being rushed to meet the demand, instead the employees, upper management and environment all helped play a roll in making me work hard enough to meet or exceed the daily quota.
Pros
Free lunch parties
Cons
slightly small establishment