FINRA Employee Reviews

Oppressive Atmosphere
Analyst I (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDJuly 16, 2018
bureaucratic, hierarchical, zero openness to new ideas and innovation. management entrenched and not able to inspire. policies to allow for telework and other flexibility are not evenly applied.. certain groups are allowed and others are not. non-collaborative across teams. quiet, depressing environment.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
terrible culture
Stable but Sedentary
Senior Examiner (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 19, 2018
FINRA is an excellent place to work if you desire security and benefits and seek little else. Management at FINRA rarely changes, though examiners experience a much higher turn-over rate. As a result, FINRA is not a very dynamic or inspiring place to work, though it is steady.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Horrible Morale and Culture
Examiner (Current Employee) –  NYC, NYMay 30, 2018
Room for advancement is limited in certain positions, eventually hit a ceiling with opportunities. Great work/life balance, and intelligent colleagues.
Great co-workers / Terrible Senior Mangement
Associate Principal Compliance Examiner (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 28, 2018
The workload is overbearing with unrealistic deadlines demanded by management that have no appreciation for the employees' efforts and after hour commitments.

Currently FINRA is laying off - the low level employees with a pension to "save money"...

If they had concept of saving money - FINRA would lay off the top 10% highest paid employees since they bring ZERO value to the any of the examination work product.

FINRA would be a great place if they passed the money down to the lower level employees who bear the brunt of the work load.
Pros
Great co-workers / Nice health benefits
Cons
Terrible Senior Management with zero concept of the work difficulty
Great Work Life Balance
Associate Principal Examiner (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 4, 2018
Great environment to learn about the US regulatory industry. Very collaborative environment. You will build perhaps your best working relationships here as everyone is supportive and willing to assist you succeed. Staff can work remotely at least once a week , some more depending on your group. Gets busy with multiple deadlines , however you are not required to work late. Get the work done on time however you see fit - work late or take it home with you. Not for profit organization and so the base salary is not as competitive as other entities. Otherwise, great company to work for!
Pros
Work life balance and great exposure.
Cons
Base salary.
Great work life balance
Sales Practice Examiner (Current Employee) –  Woodbridge, NJMarch 27, 2018
I work exactly 40 hours per week. I work from home two days a week which saves me money for commute. Pay comes with salary and bonus. My office is a relatively older group so advancement to management is a log jam but moving through the ranks until manager is possible.
Director of Media Relations (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 21, 2018
Organization does great work to help protect investors by building and maintaining integrity of our markets. Turn over of employees seemed a bit high a few years ago.
Loved it here!
Desktop Support Analyst Intern (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDMarch 18, 2018
I was an intern at FINRA @ Rockville location. I was serving as a desktop support analyst. I loved it here, the culture and the people. I wish I could've stayed but there were no openings available.
Pros
lunch, people, culture
Cons
nothing
Intern
Application Security Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDFebruary 12, 2018
Intern program is set up well, but my manager did not spend a lot of time with me and the learning was not there and he expected deliverables without teaching. But the goals of the dept and company are strong and it is a fun place to work and the people that work there are very friendly and eager to mentor you.
Good experience
Junior Java Developer (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDJanuary 26, 2018
. Lots of resources available
. State of the art access to new technologies
. Casual work environment
. Very collegial teams
. Amazing cafeteria with many selections
Pleasent and professional atmosphere to work with dedicated and friendly employees,
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 19, 2018
I would come in to the office, make my breakfast, set up the conference rooms for whatever event that will take place that day, Check the calendar to see who is expected into the office, run my daily reports, answering phones, process and hand out the mail, file, photo coping, faxing, order lunch, contact person for office machine issues, order office and kitchen supplies, prepare out going mail, plan employee morale events,
The most challenging part was multi tasking having to stop one duties and start something else all the while getting interrupted all day long while having to remain upbeat and pleasant.
I love the variety of job tasks, here was never a dull moment, there was always something different to do everything day, management was laid back, fun and friendly, it was a diversity and I learned how to perfect my skills everyday,
Pros
employee lunches and parties, lots od paid time off, employee discounts
Cons
down sizing
Rewarding work
Principal Examiner (Current Employee) –  New YorkJanuary 18, 2018
A great place to work. Great work/life balance, management that is motivating but not overbearing. The work is fulfilling, rewarding, and important.
it's good company
Senior Full Stack Developer (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDDecember 21, 2017
It was very good working over there and the management and workplace culture was also very well. The team also very friendly and co operative. I learned quite good things over there..
day at work
Data Engineer (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDNovember 7, 2017
they build great teams. The management respect every individuals, encourage ideas and innovation. They build IT using latest technologies. It is the best company for IT folks.
Studio overview
Live Streaming Eng (Current Employee) –  Washington County, DCOctober 14, 2017
too many projects not enough support. get to acquire equipment but need personnel to train and operate. Corp env not commercial
not very creative. too many politics.
Pros
Cons
losing money & people
Great benefits, try to have a balanced work life for employee
LAN Administrator II (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 20, 2017
There is not a lot of opportunity for advancement. Decent place to work. Most managers are great but as with any job there are those that are not. Can sometimes be a stressful place to work.
I loved it
Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 25, 2017
It was awesome experience working at FINRA. My colleges and manages were amazing people which made work environment even better and more relaxed. everyone are very helpful and friendly. for the time I ha been there, I considered them as my family. I wish I didn't have to leave NYC otherwise I would never stopped working there.
Informative experience but lacking for high achievers
Principal Regulatory Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 8, 2017
Offers direct and detailed knowledge of broker dealer operations and applicable regulations. Most meetings can be characterized as unnecessary. Upper Mgmt has no desire to vacate seats creating serious lack of career advancement opportunities.
Pros
Flex work life balance
Cons
Promotion opportunities
good
Trading Analyst, Market Regulations Group (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 31, 2017
good hours. Nice people. Room for growth, but power and politics plays a role in advancement. Not generally open to new ideas, change, or doing a more effective job in the market. Happy to do business as usual.
Good for college grads
SENIOR COMPLIANCE EXAMINER (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 24, 2017
Overall good industry experience but the culture lacked diversity. There is not much room for career advancement as managers there have been in the position for over 10 years and do not leave.
Pros
Job Security
Cons
No room for adancement

Ask a question about working or interviewing at FINRA. Our community is ready to answer.