Fire & Life Safety America Employee Reviews

There is better out there!
Inspector (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 25, 2018
In my experience/opinion, this is a poorly managed outfit.

No planning, poor scheduling or support.

Management with lack of industry knowledge and leadership skills.

The benefits are decent.

The negative stressful gossip culture and constant turnover makes it an unhealthy place to work at.
Pros
Cons
see summary
January 4, 2019

Thank you for your candid feedback. I wish your experience with us was much better. Since your departure, many new leaders were installed and new practices initiated to ensure a safe, productive, and cohesive environment. FLSA is committed to our team members and customers. Thank you for your contribution while you were with us. I wish you the best in your future endeavors.

Director, Talent Acquisition & Development

Disorganized and Stressful
Service Administrator (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 1, 2018
There is no training for employees, new or old. You have to try and figure it all out yourself or hope that someone is willing to help you. There is no room for advancement and raises are non existent. The pay is low and the benefits are an absolute joke. Favoritism is rampant throughout and you are set up for failure if you are not favorited. They will attempt to push you out if you are not. The office environment is hostile and depressing. Management and corporate are aware of all the issues but seem to just shrug it off since they never attempt the make the necessary changes to fix things. Job duties will constantly be added without the compensation to match. Turn over rate is extremely high and morale is extremely low. Encouragement and constructive criticism don't exist instead screaming, yelling, and speaking down to employees is the route they choose to take when issues or mistakes present themselves. You are constantly blamed for other employees mistakes. If monthly goals for billing are not met they find someone to blame and don't attempt to figure out why it wasn't met.
Pros
Paid holidays
Cons
Everything else
January 4, 2019

Thank you for your valuable feedback. Company culture and team cohesiveness is a top priority at FLSA. Since your last review, we initiated a new employee-focused campaign with better benefits, better pay, and better communication. I'm sorry that your experience was less than expected. Please contact your Human Resources representative when you discover behavior that contradicts our core values.

Passion. Integrity. Partnership. Excellence

Director, Talent Acquisition & Development

Decent place to work. Good experience.
Sprinkler Fire Alarm Inspection Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 20, 2018
A decent place to work. Gained a lot of knowledge. Learned a great trade. Went to various companies all over Texas. I enjoyed learning to do fire alarm and sprinkler inspections.
Pros
Good work knowledge obtained
Cons
Management lacked organization.
November 15, 2018

Thank you for your feedback. We are invested in training our staff to be the best fire protection professionals in Texas. Since your review, we have new management in Houston and the atmosphere drastically improved.

Great company
Pipe Fitter (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCApril 23, 2018
Great company. Great people to work for. Competitive pay. Work truck and fuel card provided. Fast paced work environment with plenty of advancement opportunity.
Pros
Good pay
Flsa
Foreman (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCApril 19, 2018
Not a bad place laid back my problem here is with pay I would definitely say well below average for the industry
Very bad logics a lot of times to laid back they let poor help go with out consequences so they have many below average employees
Pros
Laid back
Cons
Low pay and not much help on bigger jobs
Great place if you want slow improvements
Sprinkler Apprentice/ Inspector Trainee (Former Employee) –  Salem, VAMarch 26, 2018
Great work opportunity, Need to get on the office people a lil bit but overall a good opportunity. Make sure you push the one in the office for any advancements you want to achieve.
Heavy Workload Unrealistic Hours for Completion
Fire Alarm Technician And Inspector (Current Employee) –  Hanover, MDNovember 7, 2017
Typical work day would start at 5:30 am until 5 PM
I gained knowledge about sprinkler system
Due to the heavy workload the operations manager was working in the field unable to take care of many admin duties
All techs work well and cooperate with each other when needed
Endless driving
Working with customers
Pros
Free physical with pay
Cons
Health benefits are poor
Good pay and very polite employees
Sprinkler inspector (Current Employee) –  Summerville, SCOctober 16, 2017
productive and good pay but poor management. No communication Always changing ways of work. good part about the job was the travel and the extra pay for staying out of town.
Pros
pick up at home
Cons
no communication
Unpleasant
Fire Alarm Technician (Former Employee) –  Euless, TXAugust 31, 2017
During my tenure at FLSA, it was by far one of the worst places to work. Initially it was not until management was changed and in turn, the whole culture of the Euless branch changed. Many people were let go for unjust causes and most (if not all) do not work there that was there between 2010-2012. I am not sure what is like currently, but then, it was not a pleasant place.
Pros
Excellent starting pay at that time
Cons
Just plain ole unpleasant
Good Work place and extreamly good job security
Foreman (Former Employee) –  Chantilly, VAAugust 24, 2017
I work for them for 13+ years and they always took care of their employees. have great health care and 401 benefits, and their field personnel were a great group to work with.
good company good pay
pipehand (Current Employee) –  Chantilly, VAAugust 2, 2017
i feel the company, the work, employees, and management are on par. i have not been given anything i never asked for and when i asked for something, they were accommodating.
Pros
overtime
Cons
short breaks
Red Flag
Inspections Scheduling Admin (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 24, 2017
I have been told that this organization has acquired new management and changed drastically since I worked there, but my experience was terrible. The pay was minimal for the amount of work I was expected to do, and it seemed that the company culture was to blame any issues you came across on the next person. Also, the building is in really poor shape - windows leaked during rains, carpets got moldy, and sighting rat feces on my desk was a frequent occurrence.
Good company to work for.
A&D Inspector/Safety Coordinator (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 21, 2017
I have only been here a short while, but thoroughly enjoy what I have experienced so far. The company is committed to providing a safe work environment where the employee can flourish and grow while focusing on providing excellent customer service. Opportunities are there for those who are willing to work for them.
Pros
Plenty of opportunities for compensation and training, every employee is valued.
Cons
Some employees not doing their fair share of work
Local Management is untrained and unprofessional
Sales (Former Employee) –  Salem, VAJune 6, 2016
Management provides a terrible place to work. Bad attitude and lack of appreciation has caused extensive turn over. The office has unpainted walls and filthy carpet.
Great Company
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chantilly VAAugust 12, 2015
This is a great company to work for. I have learned alot about fire suppression systems, as well as Human Resources / Administrative duties.

My co-workers are great, and there is little to no drama. Friendly, and considerate.
Pros
Laid Back
Cons
No Raises - or denied due to other employees worth ethicc
Family like enviroment
Accounts Payable Specialist (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 29, 2015
day at work:
Process invoices, take phone calls from vendors/ up keep their info.

what you learned:
Run an accounting program, 10 key, improved typing skills, the fundamentals of office procedures.

Management;
Great

Co-workers:
Got along with everyone

Hardest part:
Cramming for month end and some coding

Enjoyable:
Just entering data and jamming to some music
Pros
Occasional paid lunches, could listen to music while working, business casual dress
Enjoyable and Organized Work place
Alarm Technician/ Extinguisher Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 10, 2015
The company was a great experience, I enjoyed working here as A fire alarm apprentice, During the time I was here I did learn a lot on what needs to be done as a fire alarm inspector to as much as how it should be done correctly, A typical day was from 6a.m. -3p.m. and somedays there'd be overtime, and i enjoyed every minute of it. I enjoyed working with the foreman I was assigned to who gave me both knowledge and experience on what it was I was required to do as a helper. The hardest part of my job as a helper would have had to been finding equipment I'd need to inspect when I'm unfamiliar with a name of the given equipment.
Worked with really great guys
Job Foreman (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJune 8, 2015
Enjoyed installing fire protection knowing one day you would feel the satisfaction of saving lives. Co-workers were really great guys to work with. Hardest part of job is being out of town too much. Most enjoyable is getting the job done and everyone being in synch together.
Pros
vehicle & gas card
Cons
Too much out of town work
office building needs work and updated renovation
Alarm Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Midlothian, VAMay 5, 2015
i worked for this company for almost 2 years and loved it at first, but soon realized management were really double sided and would say positive things about you while you were around but would talk trash about you when you weren't.

i learned how fire alarm systems worked and learned how to properly test devices although i never went through any training. they never offered classes to progress my knowledge.

co workers were alright. again with the two faced personalities.
Pros
weekends off
Cons
getting off on time but hours away, management, no signs of promotion
Long Hours Ok Pay
Inspections Scheduler/Receptionist/Service Admin (Former Employee) –  Hanover, MDOctober 8, 2014
Working as cohesively as possible with many departments to meet and exceed customer satisfaction in a service industry. Scheduling technicians, answering emails, addressing customer complaints and invoicing. Time management is key in high stress positions. The typical day is full of phone calls, vendor invoices, entering sales contracts into customer accounts, invoicing, collections calls and payments, daily check deposits and bank reconciliations .
Pros
Decent pay, mostly normal buisness hours
Cons
High Stress

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Fire & Life Safety America. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8