Firelands Regional Medical Center Employee Reviews

Want to put on weight, get on blood pressure, anti-depressant, and anti-anxiety meds, have your hair fall out, & spend 2 days hospitalized for stress?
Mental Health Therapist (Former Employee) –  Firelands Counseling & Recovery, Port ClintonFebruary 9, 2019
Firelands was the worst employer I ever had. They exploited my hard work, experience, and educational achievements for their own gain and stressed ridiculous productivity requirements with a complete lack of appropriate and ethical client care. Both managers were promoted beyond their abilities and have proven to be petty and vindictive despite my not having worked there since March. I’m now off my meds, incredibly happy, and my leaving there was the best decision of my life. RUN the other way!!!
Pros
Some of my coworkers
Cons
Everything else
I believe Fireland's Medical Center has the right idea for employees, it just depends on the department manager you get.
LPN Dialysis Nurse (Former Employee) –  Sandusky, OHDecember 2, 2018
The workday here was fast-paced, which I enjoyed. I learned a skill which makes me marketable, and I enjoyed working one on one with the patients while delivering dialysis treatments.
Fireland's attempts to enforce a culture of caring for the patient, families, and fellow employees, but this depends on the management of the department. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the management.
The management seemed to allow the lower levels of staff to drive the department of out-patient Dialysis. This did not affect me, but I saw it affect others. The director was untruthful in more than one occasion costing some staff their raises. I do think management training may have helped the director, but it is difficult to change the core of a person with education alone.
I loved Fireland's Medical Center and it was a great place to work until the management of the department was noted to be of lesser character than first presumed. I am thankful for the opportunities to learn what I did there and for the most part, the nursing staff was very knowledgeable.
However, there is always that one who is higher in the echelon and everyone is afraid of for fear of backlash. I watched this person tell someone they better watch it or she would make their life miserable. Management apparently supported this feared charge nurse as this nurse remained and the other nurse left.
I would like to work for Fireland's again someday, but I would not work under the management in Dialysis ever again.
I worked in Dialysis from 2004 to 2008 at which time I moved to Florida and worked for Fresenius.
  more... In 2010 I came back to the area and was rehired in Dialysis from 2010 to 2014.  less
workplace
STNA (Current Employee) –  Sandusky, OHOctober 11, 2018
I learned a lot working at FRMC. I have seen several diagnosis. Fireland's employees have great teamwork. I love seeing patients improve and get well enough to go home.
nice people
Registered Nurse/Dialysis (Former Employee) –  Sandusky, OHOctober 5, 2018
Nice place to work, great education and advancement opportunities. Friendly people, clean work environment. Was unable to work the long hours required in my position.
nice hospital,
Phlebotomist (Current Employee) –  Sandusky, OHSeptember 10, 2018
the hospital itself is a nice place, but management makes it hard to enjoy the work. the training is well done and the coworkers are great. in the lab the moral is good among coworkers
productive and diverse workplace with an understanding staff.
Dietary Hostess (Current Employee) –  Sandusky, OHMay 8, 2018
Staff is friendly, work is fair, and management is understanding and willing to work with staff under certain circumstances. The hours ar flexible and the benefits are very good.
Multiple job opportunities
Emergency services Therapist (Current Employee) –  Sandusky, OHMay 3, 2018
Good choice for long term employment. It is a hospital that covers services in 6 counties. They provide not just physical but mental health treatment.
An okay place to work
Phlebotomist (Current Employee) –  Sandusky, OHApril 9, 2018
It would be a better place to work if their wasn't such a turn around on phlebotomist. Also, lots of call offs. The management is always changing. They hire too many people to be "leads" when we really just need people to draw blood.
Poor Management,
Orderly (Former Employee) –  Sandusky, OHMarch 9, 2018
Work 12 hour shifts, yelled at if you do anything wrong. I have been told i was incompetent by some nurses ive worked with. They just make you feel like nothing you do is good enough. I wouldnt recommend this job to anyone.
Cons
everythinng
Horrible
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Sandusky, OHFebruary 6, 2018
Horrible horrible place to work I worked in housekeeping. Unless you sucked up to the supervisors they treated you awful.

Over worked and underpaid, they had favorites and you couldn't trust anyone whatsoever they were horrible. HR was useless. Only person you could trust was yourself.

The insurance sucked and was super expensive and useless. I wouldn't let my cat work here
Pros
Vending, discounts
Cons
Everything in the hospital
Fast paste and friendly atmosphere
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Sandusky, OHJanuary 23, 2018
I loved working there it was the same job but yet different everyday and I loved that. I loved the people I worked with the hardest part was when we were short staffed and super busy it made it a little crazy at times. I have learned how to deal with all different types of people in a professional way.
Pros
I was able to have a good relationship with my co-workers
Cons
sometime there was no breaks due to it being busy
I loved working at Firelands Regional Medical Center!
Unit Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Sandusky, OHJanuary 15, 2018
I loved working at Firelands Regional Medical Center! It was organized, high pace and a comfortable environment. t was overall a great place to work!!
Overworked and underpaid staff
Educator (Former Employee) –  Sandusky, OHJanuary 10, 2018
Across the company many departments are overworked and underpaid, and unfortunately many long term employees are complacent with this. Employees are replaceable and undervalued. The culture does not support health or work-life balance. Benefits are rather expensive as well, especially for a self-insured company. It seems as if they strive to be mediocre in pay and benefits. They do not invest in the health of their employees.
Pros
Many friendly people work here.
Cons
Short breaks - if any, pricey benefits, minimal vacation, lack of work life balance, negative unhealthy culture overall.
Fun workplace
Internship (Former Employee) –  Amherst, OHNovember 20, 2017
I only interned at Firelands but when I did I enjoyed it. I got to sit on counseling sessions, and group meetings. I really liked it there, and would have loved to work there but I changed my major
Undergoing Alot of Change with bad management
Medical Laboratory Technician (Current Employee) –  Sandusky, OHNovember 10, 2017
Firelands Medical Center is a good place to work. Currently the lab is undergoing a lot of changes. With bad management at the lead of the changes it makes it for a place to work right now. Management does whatever they see fit with no concern on how things affect employees. Management does not effectively communicate with staff and does not effectively use good employees
Waste of time
Housekeeping Attendant (Former Employee) –  Sandusky, OHNovember 6, 2017
Unless you kiss up to your superiors, you will never advance in position here. Horrible supervisors and department director. Staff are overworked and wayyyy underpaid.
Pros
Lunch on site, vending machines, discounts
Cons
Poor management
productive
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Sandusky, OH 44870November 1, 2017
Productive, challenging place to work. Friendly, supportive environment. Great leadership and team oriented atmosphere. The only con for me is the drive.
Cons
distance drive
Unit Co-Ordinator
Unit Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Sandusky, OhioOctober 26, 2017
It was a good place to work but I felt I did more of the orderly work than the job I was hired for as Unit Co-Ordinator. Long hours & drive with little compensation.
Pros
parking & discounts on services & prescriptions.
Cons
The long hours & long drive from Toledo
Good Place To Start
Certified Registered Central Services Technician (Former Employee) –  Sandusky, OHOctober 9, 2017
Firelands is a good place to start. They have really good staff education, and learning opportunities. The compensation is lower than the national average.
Educational and Experience
Internship (Current Employee) –  Sandusky, OH 44870August 16, 2017
Learned new software
Management is great
Workplace culture is great
Enjoy working with everyone in the office and the patients
Intern in two different offices and both are very educational

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Firelands Regional Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.8InHerSight Score

3.2Personal Development

2.7Career Opportunities

2.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight