Firestone Complete Auto Care Employee Reviews

productive place to work at great environment
Automotive Technician/Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Camarillo, CAOctober 15, 2018
good workplace, learned a lot of things gained more automotive experience, typical day is oil changes, tires , engine repair, suspension and alignment, fluid services.
Long hours with low pay
Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Alpharetta, GAOctober 10, 2018
Arrive very early open the store and start greeting customers, very rare I could take a lunch break because we were always understaffed Long hours and the pay was commissioned based and you will have to fight to get the commission due to you. Just a bad place to work. I do not recommend that storer.
Pros
Can;t think of one
Cons
long hours with low pay
Cutt throat for technicians and stingy management
Technician (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAOctober 9, 2018
Before I begin this. Of all the service industries in the world I firmly believe in tipping your technician doing the work back there. They’re in charge of your life when they work on your vehicle. Appreciate the knowledge, skill, proffeciency of getting your car back to you safely, correctly fixed, and in a timely matter. If you believe servers deserve tipping think about the people that actually bust their butts for you. The service system isn’t what it used to be back in the 70’sand 80’s. Techs don’t make enough money to take care of a family, afford tools, and work a ratio work/life job. Treat them with well and with respect. It’s a truly thankless job.

Worked for firestone a number of years as a technician and gained 6 ASE’s there before leaving for a MUCH better place.

Making ends meat as a technician is cut throat. They’ll start you out as low as possibly as a flat rate technician 10.00 p/hr where you’ll work 50 hours a week to make the bare minimum of wage a company would have to pay you legally. I constantly had to be there for 60 some weeks to make enough to live and pay bills without saving anything. They have more techs there so that they don’t have to turn away walk in customers, which typically ends up with a couple techs working and a couple always sitting on their hands trying to keep warm. When a job comes by and it pays decently I’ve called guys out to the back parking lot to fight them out for it. It’s no joke the ruthlessness among the techs in the back.

Everyone I knew lived pay check to pay check. Many jobs that call for a specific
  more... book rate is stripped down so that the company can sell more up front and yet be on your time and dime. They expect you too do a test drive, oil change, remove the tires, get a full vehicle inspection, rotate the tires, check out all the brakes, write up the work order, turn the order in so the actual decently paid hourly worker up front (sales person that knows nothing about working on a vehicle) can attempt to sell you some flush system kit that I probably never even recommended to you and put the vehicle back together in the span of half an hour. Sure it’s possible but you’re not getting a quality job done by your technician. And don’t get me started on the 100LB tires that are low profile on your big 22” rims. The company has no problem selling a set of 2000 dollar tires and the technician in the back making only 12$ total to throw those on for you.

Find a mom and pop joint, work hourly, flat rate system is broken now days. It makes for poor technicians and shady work ethics.
Pros
It’s a foot in the door, a realization that you don’t ever want to work for anyone except mom pop shops.
Cons
Dealerships, tire shops, etc are all a cancer to the industry.
Clueless, Careless Management
Lead Auto Technician (Current Employee) –  Hiram, GA 30141October 9, 2018
This Company is ALL TALK . Not interested in Automotive Repair or the CUSTOMER, Although they claim they are! Technicians, the backbone of the company, are treated like slaves & are grossly under paid. True Story- Our alignment rack is old & broken down. This piece of equipment is critical if your a tire shop. So when we request new or at least updated alignment rack...We're told if we sell more alignments they'll buy new equipment!! Brilliant!! My Store Manager is more qualified to run a pizza parlor or shoe store, not a Automotive Repair Shop. Our President left the "Toys R Us" ship Grounded on the rocks...NICE! I've been try to contact my HR Rep. for over six months, Dozen's of phone calls & messages...yet not return contact. Surprise! Surprise! Yeah Great Management!
Pros
Very few as a ASE Master Tech
Cons
Too numerous to list
Good job for beginners.
Automotive Technician (Former Employee) –  Binghamton, NYOctober 8, 2018
This was my first automotive technician job. The employees and the service manager taught me a lot of things and they were very reasonable with me. They knew I was a beginner and they gave me so many chances because they knew I would do something to change that. Everyone there was like my friend. I learned a lot of things there. The only bad part about that job is all the work I had to do for only $11 an hour. I had to maintain cars, put tires away, and put the parts away.
Pros
Good working environment and good place to learn.
Cons
Company should've paid me more.
fast pace mechanic work
Lube Technician (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CAOctober 8, 2018
fast pace work place the techs were older and grouchy but they were knowledgableat what they do good place to work for for beginers of the automotive industry
fast paced but loved the people
Technician (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXOctober 7, 2018
awesome place to work Not sure why this place has such terrible reviews. I have nothing but good things to say about this Firestone in particular. The best experience here so far was a couple weeks ago, when I forgot my credit card at home. They allowed my boyfriend to pay for my tires over the phone, Otherwise I would've been SOL! Of course I did get the side eye, but luckily they made an exception. Lol
Good Employer
General manager (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSOctober 6, 2018
Good place to work. good. Great opportunities for advancement. Nice benefit package and fair pay. Spent 26 years there and enjoyed most every day. Able to transfer store to store or to other parts of the nation. Try to promote a premier place to work
Pros
fair pay
Fantastic Work Environment
Tire and Lube Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLOctober 5, 2018
Friendly, fast, and loud!
Supportive group of work colleagues
Constant opportunities to grow and learn
Safe, efficient, and clean
Well organized, and fantastic employee discounts!
Great benifits
Automotive Technician (Former Employee) –  Orangeburg, SCOctober 5, 2018
Great place to work when everyone is on the same page and cooperative but can become very stressful if poorly managed. Your experience depends on the manager every location runs differently.
Challenging can be very rewarding for competitive personalities.
Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Augusta, GAOctober 4, 2018
Can be rewarding work for the right people. Good benefits and decent compensation. Can complain that will hire outside at higher rates when in need of employees while telling current employees that pay raises are up to most senior mgmt. Understanding of family needs but long hours, working late, and Sunday hours make balance difficult. At end of the day, regardless of propaganda about customer service, the goal is maximum profits. If you help with that goal you'll make decent living.
Pros
Weekdays off promote from within
Cons
Hard to get breaks, long hours, pay is all over the place
Cons outweighs the pros
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Casper, WYOctober 3, 2018
Worked there for 6 months. Favoritism was rampant. 4 months in I started working through most lunch hours without pay. Everyone who smoked constantly did so, and most often left me to do a lot of the tire work. Manager was arrogant and sort sighted. Tried to even sell tires 5+ years old. Was requested to fill out a survey that consisted of how I felt working there, guess what? It had already been filled out. Didn’t feel like I was part of the team, I was more a dog they could whip around. Training and benefits were great. Although the majority of what I was taught in their class was severely undermined by the manager. District manager was great, cool and understandable. In summation, I would have stayed had it not been for that crook of a manager. Mabye someday I’d work for them again
Pros
Training, classes, benefits
Cons
No lunches at times, treated poorly, lack of true knowledge, blatant disregard of industry standards
On key
General Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Crystal Lake, ILOctober 3, 2018
Great place to work with great benefits. Professional atmosphere with well trained and certified technicians. Service and excellence will be found here.
Would recommend for an hourly position. Managers and teammates can be very hit or miss (Laid back or toxic). Average 50 hours a week.
Automotive Technician (Current Employee) –  Saint Augustine, FLOctober 2, 2018
So Bridgestone now owns Firestone, Tires Plus, and Wheel Works. Having said that, the training classes that Bridgestone offer (paid in full) are phenomenal, better than the 2-year tech college I went to. A good enough reason to apply for a job if you're looking into free technical training.

The managers and teammates can vary wildly in personality, as they do in every shop. My experience with this company so far is that generally the store managers are very nice and down to earth people who take great pride in their store. I have seen many employees take advantage of their good nature, always leaving early, getting extra time on tickets. These guys just won't fire you unless you cost them a LOT of money in broken parts or entire vehicles. My service manager is on par with every one I've had at the various shops and dealerships I've worked at--BAD. He gets his kicks off by harassing and messing with the technicians in the shop. He doesn't say anything about hard work, but watch out when you're slacking. Unfortunately, they're hard-up for employees which leads to hiring less desirable people who they can't get rid of otherwise they'd be short-staffed, which leads to my next point.

We are either over-staffed or under-staffed most days, usually not a healthy medium. This affects me the most, as a technician paid flat-rate. If there's too many guys in the shop, I don't pull enough hours because there's six of us there. When we're understaffed, I have to pick up a lot of oil changes and tire work if our general service technicians aren't there or went home early. I get paid
  more... 18 minutes to do an oil change and an inspecton and if I'm quick I can get it done in 10 minutes, I just don't make enough doing them. Even when we have the perfect balance where I can make 10-20 hours in a day, the service writers and service manager always play favorites in terms of who they're going to give to work to. They're supposed to put the work order on a hook for the next guy to pick up, but constantly assign them.

Half of our customers care about keeping their vehicles pristine, the other half are just looking for the next cheap oil change. Some come in for emergencies like flat tire repairs, blowouts, or more serious problems. I recommend easily a few thousand dollars in manufacturer scheduled maintenance on almost every car I work on. Most of the time the work has never been done, like cars with 200,000 miles with the original transmission fluid or spark plugs. My store is in a very nice part of town, down the road from all the beach houses and tourist attractions. My point is, most of these people coming into my store easily have the money to afford scheduled maintenance, but just don't seem to care about their car unless it's something the average Joe would know needs to be done i.e. oil, tires, shocks..

Being a technician is tough, tough work. You're using your whole body throughout the day, and unless you're very fit, you will feel broken at the end of every single day. My shop has no air conditioning, and is located in Florida. At the end of the day, my shirt is drenched in sweat and I smell awful and many times I feel I've come close to heat stroke with nausea, weakness, dryness etc. It's a very stressful job. Some examples are time restraints, customers watching you work or customers who have been waiting for a long time, wrong parts get delivered after waiting 30 minutes, fixing something only to break something else, multiple projects at once, managers on your back about certain things, etc..

I like the company, I like my store manager, I like the field I work in.
I don't really like Firestone, I liked the dealerships more even though they hold many of the same problems, there was always work to do.
Firestone right now is sort of on that teetering edge of being the chain shop that is well known for dependability and honesty. Their goal in the next decade or so is to be on par with the amount of business dealerships receive. Bridgestone is changing fast, and they do want to do things right.
Pros
Benefits, opportunities for training and moving up, discounts, access to an automotive shop
Cons
No lunch breaks, 50 hours minimum weeks, tough work, constant stress, Injuries and long-term body pain, no air conditioning in the shop, spend a lot of your money on tools
Great pay, terrible hours
Manager (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCSeptember 30, 2018
The pay is great, but hours of operation are to long to allow for a balanced work/life environment. A great stepping stone to get management experience for you next career.
Pros
Pay
Cons
No breaks, not able to take lunch daily, short staffed is a chronic issue
Just a job
SALES TEAM MEMBER (Former Employee) –  Hampton VirginiaSeptember 29, 2018
So when I started it seemed cool. I didn’t have much knowledge on cars however they act like they like you. It’s you and one other person up front and you get extra money depending on what you sold. Maybe if I was their color it would of been different it’s cool because it’s life and living in the south it is what it is. Over all of the job your selling and trying to look better than your co-worker there’s no team. It’s all cut throat.
Pros
Free lunch on Fridays
Fast pace work Place
Automotive Technician/Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYSeptember 28, 2018
This is a flat rate shop so work goes fast to make money. Lots of oil changes and tire changes to be done. Schedule maintenance work helps you make more money
Was told I was over qualified for the position but they couldn't afford more
Technician (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COSeptember 27, 2018
I was hired at a store with a unique position, I Assisted the mechanics and did oil changes and tires. My primary job was delivering or picking up tires as stores needed, parts runner and courtesy driver.
Pros
Relationships with other store employees
Cons
Pay rate and hours
firestone
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 26, 2018
Management will constantly undermine you in front of customers just to make them happy. the pay isn't that good but you do et spiffs that will help you financially every month.
Not as good as it used to be
SERVICE MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Asheville, NCSeptember 26, 2018
This company is an automotive giant and will remain in the industry as long as it can adapt to changing clientele expectations. One of the biggest obstacles is employee satisfaction. At this time, the company has changed directions towards the idea of customer orientated sales growth but seems to have left the employee experience behind and allowed the satisfaction of those that generate money to dwindle.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Firestone Complete Auto Care. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.1

1.8Personal Development

2.6Career Opportunities

1.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight