First Choice In-Home Care Employee Reviews

Great job great clients
HCA Physician Services (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, WAMay 20, 2019
Hard to get your regular and training pay from them,great hours,great client,poor leadership,poor communication or organization,paid holidays and vacations,lack of raises when time for raises.
Pros
Great job great clients
Cons
Poor leadership, poor pay mangagement
Firings everywhere
Direct Care Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAApril 19, 2019
I probably saw 10-20 people get fired when I worked in the office at First Choice. Management always had some cover up story, but it was always questionable to the rest of us that we never saw an issue with those getting let go. Every time they claim it was "behind the scenes," but I'm not sold. I'm sure it's for budget reasons, but upper management should really think harder about letting people go as this is their livelihood. It's obvious they don't care about anything but money. Firing someone should be a last resort, and I've never worked at another company where I saw someone get let go every single month. Upper management takes no responsibility at all, and likes to blame their senior direct care supervisors instead. If your turnover is this high, shouldn't you consider your methods are wrong? Guess not since most in upper management only have their positions because their connected to the family that owns it.
April 23, 2019

Since our founding in 1999, First Choice has honed in on our Core Values and holds them as such:

1) Prioritize Client Health and Safety; this entails placing the well-
being of our clients above all else.
2) Staff Support; involves supporting your teammates or coworkers,
supporting those you manage, and supporting your managers.
3) The combination of working with honesty, integrity, and being
reliable.

The glue that holds these values together is effective and open communication.

Responding to your comments:

Turnover
Turnover rates in Social Services positions are notoriously high, with most sources reporting average turnover rates somewhere in the 30-45% range. Over the last year, our turnover rate (including terminations and resignations) is just over 20%, and terminations have amounted to a fraction of what you claim. We believe our lower rate of turnover compared to the industry average is born out of the genuine appreciation shown to and felt by our team members as well as the unique way we approach servicing our population of disabled minors, adults and seniors.

Terminations
As the Manager of Human Resources, I am involved in all termination proceedings. I can unequivocally say that this responsibility weighs heavy and brings more stress and displeasure than any other function of my position. To describe our process, when a serious issue comes to light, the decision to end or maintain a team member’s employment is arrived at by weighing the issue/circumstances against our core  more... values, determining if the issue is correctable, considering all the associated pros & cons, and then acting to ensure that our core values are reaffirmed as the result of the decided action. These decisions are made by a team comprised of several individuals at varying levels of our management team so that we can obtain different perspectives and decide objectively. We are then transparent with our staff about the decision and communicate openly to address lingering concerns or perceptions.

Organization Cares Only About Money
I disagree with your statement that First Choice only cares about money and will offer objective evidence regarding our employee benefits to disprove your claim. First and foremost, our organization covers 100% of our administrative staff’s health insurance premiums. This is not required, nor is it commonplace in Social Services. Most organizations will cover at a rate of 50/50, or at best, 80% of the premium cost. Health Insurance premiums have skyrocketed over the last several years, yet we continue to cover 100% of our administrative employees’ premiums. We also offer a generous Paid Time Off (PTO) plan that, after three years of employment, allows for 1 full month of paid leave (three weeks of PTO prior to the 3-year mark), and an additional nine “flexibility days.” We also offer a 401k plan including a 3% match. If all that concerned First Choice was money, than our benefit offerings would take a very different structure. There are many other points that I can reference to offer further support here, to name just a few; our annual kick-ball game, our staff appreciation lunches, our end of year celebration, and various fun activities to break up the normal flow . . . We’re very proud to be an organization that doesn’t just say “we care about our employees,” we show it every day.

First Choice will continue to be a leader in serving vulnerable and disabled populations by keeping them cared for in their homes. We would like to thank you for the opportunity to highlight our values and we sincerely hope for your success in future endeavors.

Fun
Health Care Provider (Former Employee) –  Findlay, OHApril 8, 2019
Pretty easy going if you enjoy genuinely helping and caring for others. Must be able to hold a conversation with your clients. If you don’t like talking I don’t recommend.
Pros
Works around your schedule
Cons
No benefits
Decent company
HCA (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAApril 7, 2019
Too stressful. Dont listen to hca when problem comes up. Lack of feelings towards consumer. On call at all times abd had no life. Felt ad if I was useless and not appreciated.
Pros
Nice case manager
Cons
No life
Stressful
In Home Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAMarch 31, 2019
They don't work well with employers. They are constantly not helpful when it comes to certain situations with clients. Most of the clients are easy to work with and other clients hard to deal with.
Overal good company, takes care of their employees and consumers
HCA in training (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WAFebruary 15, 2019
Great agency dedicated to helping their employees and consumers have a better quality of life. With reliable aids and managers, friendly and encouraging. They work around you're schedule and assist in any way they can.
Pros
Medical and life insurance. Pay raises.
Cons
A liyyle tricky fidning something closer to me. Paid training classes are too far way.
no comments nothing strong to support working there
Resupply Representative (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJanuary 28, 2019
no comments
I have no comments, just poor establishment, poor management-
I don't have anything else to say in the matter, just not an ideal place to advance or work
Excellent job environment and management
HCA (Current Employee) –  Federal Way, WAJanuary 12, 2019
First Choice in Home Care is a very professional and caring agency. I have never had any problems with management and they're always there to help. FCIHC is always getting new clients and post the jobs to your email every few days. The benefits are really great and I would definitely recommend them.
Pros
Excellent training, benefits, managers
Rewarding
Caregiver (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WADecember 26, 2018
Its a very rewarding job. Helping people is important and that's what I love! At first choice, they teach and prepare you for the job! They pay for training and when you're done, you get paid for it as well. Wonderful company to work for.
Pros
Pick and choose who you work with
Cons
not enough hours
Cna
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WADecember 15, 2018
Would definitely go back if they had shifts available for me, and clients closer to me. They were very nice, helpful, and organized. I would recommend to anyone has open schedule
Family owned business
DIRECT CARE SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WADecember 7, 2018
They pick favorites and truly do not care about their workers well-being if it doesn't benefit them. Because everyone is either friends or family, it leaves a very big "Us vs Them" line. I did learn a lot of crucial skills, mostly from my coworkers and the client's themselves. It kind of feels like you are a sheep herded into cubicles to do work a very specific way with not much elasticity to show your strengths or add your own personal input and ideas.
Pros
Healthcare, benefits
Cons
Management, Communication
December 10, 2018

We have reviewed your feedback and would like to respond to your points of concern, in order:

1) Company picks favorites and does not care about workers unless to our benefit.
It is to our benefit to care for and about all staff members, so we do and, in that regard, you are correct. You highlighted our comprehensive healthcare offering (we cover 100% of monthly Premium Costs) and our employee benefits as “pros” – this is direct and non-subjective evidence that our organization does care quite a lot about our team members and their well-being.

Our Agency shows favor to individuals who exert extraordinary amounts of effort and perseverance when facing the challenges inherent to caring for our at-risk and in-need population of disabled minors and adults. We are honored to employ team full of these types of unique and special people and do not maintain "favorites" though do feel very lucky at the opportunity to build strong relationships with an amazing group of community minded professionals.

2) Family owned company resulting in an “us vs them” mentality.
We are not ashamed of our local, family roots and know this attribute to be a strength and proven advantage. We embrace differences and encourage creative teamwork in meeting the many challenges of caring for the undeserved and vulnerable populations of our community. We are inclusive, celebrate individual, team and departmental successes, and experience a high degree of organizational efficacy as a result.

3) Staff are herded like sheep and operate in a rigid, restricted way.
The opposite is true. Everyone has to sit somewhere  more... and we have found our work spaces to be spacious and comfortable. It’s also fun to see how each team member chooses to decorate and personalize their work space – we have a lot of fun with that. Our mentality related to task completion and work flow is to really dig into necessary outcomes and various strategies on how to get there and to then empower each team member to work within themselves to ultimately hit their goal/desired outcome in a way that’s conducive to that individuals’ unique skill set. Our protocols are produced through an amalgam of thoughts, ideas and team collaborations. All ideas are considered and impact ideas are robustly implemented.

Thank you for the opportunity to highlight some of our values, I’m regretful that your experience was not positive and we sincerely wish you the best in realizing your dreams.

Friendly and helpful staff
Caregiver / Home Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAOctober 31, 2018
The staff would sometimes lie to the client on your experience. They offer paid training for HCA (health care aide). Most of the staff is extremely helpful and friendly.
Hard for people with children.
Direct Care Supervisor (Case Manager) (Former Employee) –  TacomaOctober 23, 2018
Just wasn't the place for me. I wish this part wasn't required because I don't want to talk bad about a place just because it wasn't the right place for me. It's hard for people with children, and there is a very high turnover rate.
December 10, 2018

Maintaining a personal/work life balance is challenging in social services and we are regretful that we were not able to support you better in that area as it is possible!

Our turnover rate is actually better than average in our field and we are very happy to report that since July of 2018, we've lost one staff member to resignation due to moving out of State for personal reasons.

We are working very hard to ensure this trend of low-turnover continues as it has obvious benefits to our Clients and Team Members alike.

Thank you for the opportunity to share some information about our organization and we wish the best in finding a position that is suited to your needs.

fun , always learning something new, stressful
Personal Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Bedford County, PASeptember 9, 2018
taking care of the elderly or anyone in need. bathing, feeding, cooking, cleaning, companionship, transportation, fun activities to keep the brain young or just therapy to keep them from being stiff.
Pros
connecting with new people, seeing the job on peoples faces.
Cons
death, poor conditions, stubborn people
Great working environment
Assist the patient (Former Employee) –  Donna, TXAugust 25, 2018
The company is very good with workers and community they help with job placement and have incentives for new hire. They do fundraiser for old folks home.
Pros
Bonuses
Cons
Lack of patients
Easy going environment
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAAugust 2, 2018
Easy going environment , enjoyable clients , good pay , friendly management , flexible schedule , good experience for anyone looking for a fulfilling job
Great way to meet new people
Care for the eldery (Current Employee) –  Yazoo City, MSJune 27, 2018
First Choice is a great job to get to meet new people . If you love taking care of people and showing lots of love this is the job for you . The supervisor are very understanding and try to help as much as possible.
special work place
Home Health Aide (Former Employee) –  Jenkintown, PAJune 26, 2018
being able to help someone love one with anything they needed to be comfortable or taking they where they need to go and cleaning there house if needed and cooking good meals for them if required.
N/a
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJune 25, 2018
No commit at this time it was ok they just dont give you any growth within the company it all on who you know that works there.Just keep to yourself and stay in your set you should be fine. Thank you
Great way to be introduced to a medical care position
Certified Home Health Aide (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WAMay 21, 2018
First Choice is a great company for those looking to start a career in health care. They will train you as an HCA and help you look into options for further training. My only complaint is that it can sometimes be difficult to get a hold of some supervisors or that sometimes they do not call you back in a timely manner.
Pros
Paid Training, Work Opportunities, Flexibility
Cons
Sometimes hard to contact them

Ask a question about working or interviewing at First Choice In-Home Care. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

1.7InHerSight Score

1.4Personal Development

1.7Career Opportunities

2.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

First Choice In-Home Care Reviews by Location