First Command Financial Services, Inc. Employee Reviews

productive work enviroment
Advisor Assistant - Property and Casualty (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNJuly 8, 2018
work environment was peaceful and calm. respectful staff that celebrated everyone's birthday. Paid employees well and offered great benefits. Was given two months severance pay.
Pros
Salary, team, professional, respectful, celebrated everyone's birthday
Cons
leadership issues
Do yourself a favor and don't work here
Former IT audit specialist (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJune 6, 2018
There are better place in DFW to work. The company overall is O.K. but it's specific departments (specific line manager's and department heads) that make this place miserable to work. HR is of no help and is a joke for the most part. HR should know better on how employees are being treated.
Pros
It's a paycheck
Cons
Everything else
Extraordinary Company
RECRUITMENT/MARKETING COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 6, 2018
I am forever grateful of my time with First Command Financial Services. I was initially hired by the Regional Director in the San Antonio office. He was one of my BEST volunteers and Ambassadors when I was at the Chamber of Commerce. I was hired as the "Marketing Receptionist." I was the first person to greet and visit with clients. I learned their Advisors, length of time at First Command, any concerns and compliments and other interesting facts that might improve their experience with First Command.

We would brainstorm ideas for new revenue generating programs and promotional campaigns.

I actively promoted First Command within the community and surrounding areas with events, presentations, outreach programs, volunteer activities and job fairs.

They management and overall atmosphere was very positive, guided with integrity and compassion for clients and employees.
Great mission
Associate Director II (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXMay 7, 2018
Great company and mission

Learned a lot about leadership and good team behaviors
Culture is family friendly and backs its vision for preparing you for your future
Field Support Staff review
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCApril 18, 2018
Overall, the company has a great vision and is great to work for. Field support staff are independently employed by districts and do not have company benefits. It seems ironic to work assisting clients achieve financial security and not receiving the same amount of care.
Cons
no benefits
Don't work here
Financial Advisor Trainee (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAApril 17, 2018
No direction, basically an insurance company. Their entire agenda is to puch whole life, permanent insurance while not explaining everything about term
Stressful, sales-driven culture
Independent Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Torrance, CAMarch 29, 2018
Typical day included making client contacts to seek meetings in which we would review their needs and recommend products / services to meet client needs; however, leadership was sales-driven and set sales quotas. Management / leadership was weak, focused mostly on sales strategies and less on client service. Hardest part of the job was complying with the "Fiduciary Standard" in an environment that put sales over service - difficult to maintain balance and focus on client needs versus leadership-driven and assigned sales "goals."
Pros
Independent, however...
Cons
...you were asked to resign if you didn't meet assigned sales quotas
Highly recommend for young professionals
Operations (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXMarch 15, 2018
First Command supports and encourages career advancement, but is relatively limited to young professionals with little or no experience.

The department I work in has a very low percentage of employees with a bachelor's or experience (to include experience outside First Command), which is uninspiring to those of us who do.
Pros
Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP)
Cons
Non-collaborative work environment
Most Enjoyable part of the job
Office Asistant (Former Employee) –  WiltshireFebruary 21, 2018
Our district as a whole had a great time during training and events. We always had a wonderful time in the office while still getting work done. Helped the Advisor win two awards for about of clients serviced.
Moderate
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAFebruary 14, 2018
This position would be best suited to someone who values sales achievement above all other skills.

Expenses are high and workload extensive to keep you individual business profitable
Enjoyed working here
Anonymour (Former Employee) –  AnonymousFebruary 6, 2018
I do not appreciate that indeed is now forcing you to review every company you have worked for in order to use the site's services. At all. Very bad move on their part.
Lack of Direction
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJanuary 11, 2018
They focus on a set speech that they want you to learn from day one. This speech is over thirty pages long. My misgivings are not with the company, but with management direction. Before you hire an individual and put them on a clock to sell something, you should inform them that they need to memorize the speech before being hired. After all, you want to make money from day one when you start your sales job.
Ugh
Executive Assistant & Office Manager (Current Employee) –  MissouriJanuary 8, 2018
If you're in a satellite office, do not expect support from anyone. Overall, it can be a fun office, but most days because it is an independent advisor you can quickly become miserable.
Decent Internship Opportunity
Para-Planning Intern (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 1, 2018
I learned what goes into making a personalized financial plan.
My manager was a very smart hard-working woman who really helped me develop as a young professional.
It was a small office with a family-like connection.
On a typical day, I would assist in building 3-4 clients' financial plans, as well as help the office administrator.
Brokerage Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXDecember 19, 2017
I enjoyed my time with them and would return if I had the option. I love the atmosphere and team work, the managers would also assist in busy times to get things done in a timely manor.
Tough Work but worth it if you're good at it
FINANCIAL ADVISOR (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IllinoisDecember 4, 2017
Being a financial advisor is extremely tough work, not the actual finance part, that's rather easy, the networking and finding clients part. Most if not all of your compensation will come from bringing on new clients and getting them started with life insurance. For the first 8 months First Command will provide you with a salary to get you started while you build your business, after that you become 100% commission based salary, which can be nerve wrecking if you haven't built a big enough business base.
Pros
Get to help working class families build a financial future for themselves, First Command does for Military and working class families, what only high net worth individuals get from financial advisors.
Cons
Unless you really enjoy planning events, meeting new people, getting referrals and otherwise are extremely popular this job will drown you in stress.
Productive and fun place
Senior Software Developer (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 29, 2017
good place to work and successful projects . I would work here again . Very productive and efficient process. A must have in your resume to build your future
Commission based job
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAOctober 29, 2017
Couldn't afford to stay in business, great place to work if you're good at acquiring clients. Focused on selling life insurance and getting assets under management but I was unable to generate enough business. Management was helpful.
Pros
Commissions, flexibility of schedule
Cons
No job security
Co-workers were awesome!
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, CO 80920October 27, 2017
I was an administration assistant for a financial advisor. I worked half days there, somewhere around 16 - 20 hours per week. I learned a great deal about the financial industry while working there.
Pros
flexible hours
Nice place to visit
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXOctober 26, 2017
Work is not stressful. The key to advancement is who you know/likes you. The performance evaluations are subjective and used to determine your merit raise. There are managers who are servant types but not at the senior level.

The mission is admirable; your helping those who serve our country.
Pros
ESOP and onsite gym
Cons
Political type mgt

Ask a question about working or interviewing at First Command Financial Services, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.0InHerSight Score

2.9Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

3.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight