First Command Financial Services, Inc. Employee Reviews

Only if you have to.
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  TexasMarch 15, 2019
Sales script is long and not adaptive. There are truly wonderful people across all departments. Company is aging out and assets are mostly held by advisors who held on with the company the longest. Only because someone needs to service those clients. Difficult to begin as a advisor if starting from scratch with no military affiliation. Must prospect! Must sell whole life to survive
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
80% of your time finding new clients 20% maintaining your current clients, The sales script is trash, Company is very resistant to change, Rampant abuses across the board
Great office, people and clients!
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 24, 2019
Each First Command office is run a little differently, so there's going to be varying experiences. I loved the Charlotte office. Yes, some days can be stressful, but the team is encouraging, understanding and supportive.
It was a great place to expand my knowledge of the financial industry with flexible hours and a great group of people.

First Command as a whole is a phenomenal company to work for! They truly are making a difference in the financial lives for not only military service members but civilians as well.
Pros
Great staff and clients, and First Command as a whole
Cons
Can be stressful at times
Look elsewhere
Financial Planning (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJanuary 15, 2019
Company promotes people to supervisors and managers who have no business being one.
Better than being unemployed
HR department doesn't try to resolve issues nor does your manager or supervisor.
Lack of training
Pros
Gym onsite and lunch brought in to purchase
Cons
Everything else
Employee-driven, Client-focused atmosphere
Employee Business Services (Current Employee) –  Fort WorthJanuary 14, 2019
Client means different things to different jobs. My client would be the Advisors, who service our First Command clients. A typical work week involves at least one meeting with my direct manager.

The workplace culture isn't about everyone getting along 100% of the time, but recognizing our individuality and creating teams from that. Maybe I don't understand the legal component well, there is a SME for that. Maybe you don't understand the technical tools of your job, there is ample training and SMEs for that as well.

There are days I can see my job as not having changed since day one, and other days my mind is blown at how much I've learned about the industry, my job and the regulations that go into protecting our clients and our company.

The hardest part of the job can be when an exciting project ends, or when it never goes beyond the Pinocchio phase. However, the company has ramped up efforts to streamline projects, mitigating wasteful project tasks.

The most enjoyable part of the day is the flexibility and trust my employer offers me. I can be an employee and parent and not feel like the two or opposed to each other. We have family events, community outreach and Bring your Child to work days.
Pros
Flexibility, Growth, Opportunity and Transparency
Cons
Finding information on the internal websites
you're in business for yourself, with a passion to help others
Financial Advisor/ Principle (Current Employee) –  Watertown, NYDecember 15, 2018
It is what you make. You get out whatever you put in. You set your own schedule, work as your own boss. If you are lazy, you might not want to become your own boss.
Pros
freedom/ flexability
Cons
Flexability is not for everyone
Payout rate not competitive
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OHDecember 3, 2018
Too many costs for a start up advisor assessed from firm and local branch. Guidelines favor only active duty military. State that they want full financial planning for all clients, however, commission guidelines and home office plan approval are heavily geared to whole life sales. District Advisor is too busy continually hiring new advisors to mentor advisors who are on staff and help start up advisors build business in the local area by developing relationships with area military installations.
Positive changes happening each day
Internal Audit (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXOctober 8, 2018
Company is working to improve across the Board while maintaining financial stability and growth path. Great to see positive and collaborative approach to change management
high stress with low pay
Information Security Engineer (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXSeptember 25, 2018
They will pay your replacement about twice what they will pay you. Expect the goal to change all the time. and expect them to not tell you what they want you to provide
productive work enviroment
Advisor Assistant - Property and Casualty (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNJuly 8, 2018
work environment was peaceful and calm. respectful staff that celebrated everyone's birthday. Paid employees well and offered great benefits. Was given two months severance pay.
Pros
Salary, team, professional, respectful, celebrated everyone's birthday
Cons
leadership issues
Poor management
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bonaire, GAJune 25, 2018
I enjoyed my job but the manager weren't nice to our employee or clients. I like my hours and day shift. I would recommended to anyone to work there because it is friendly enivornment.
Pros
friendly employees
Cons
poor management
Do yourself a favor and don't work here
Former IT audit specialist (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJune 6, 2018
There are better place in DFW to work. The company overall is O.K. but it's specific departments (specific line manager's and department heads) that make this place miserable to work. HR is of no help and is a joke for the most part. HR should know better on how employees are being treated.
Pros
It's a paycheck
Cons
Everything else
Extraordinary Company
RECRUITMENT/MARKETING COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 6, 2018
I am forever grateful of my time with First Command Financial Services. I was initially hired by the Regional Director in the San Antonio office. He was one of my BEST volunteers and Ambassadors when I was at the Chamber of Commerce. I was hired as the "Marketing Receptionist." I was the first person to greet and visit with clients. I learned their Advisors, length of time at First Command, any concerns and compliments and other interesting facts that might improve their experience with First Command.

We would brainstorm ideas for new revenue generating programs and promotional campaigns.

I actively promoted First Command within the community and surrounding areas with events, presentations, outreach programs, volunteer activities and job fairs.

They management and overall atmosphere was very positive, guided with integrity and compassion for clients and employees.
Great mission
Associate Director II (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXMay 7, 2018
Great company and mission

Learned a lot about leadership and good team behaviors
Culture is family friendly and backs its vision for preparing you for your future
Field Support Staff review
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCApril 18, 2018
Overall, the company has a great vision and is great to work for. Field support staff are independently employed by districts and do not have company benefits. It seems ironic to work assisting clients achieve financial security and not receiving the same amount of care.
Cons
no benefits
Don't work here
Financial Advisor Trainee (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAApril 17, 2018
No direction, basically an insurance company. Their entire agenda is to puch whole life, permanent insurance while not explaining everything about term
Stressful, sales-driven culture
Independent Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Torrance, CAMarch 29, 2018
Typical day included making client contacts to seek meetings in which we would review their needs and recommend products / services to meet client needs; however, leadership was sales-driven and set sales quotas. Management / leadership was weak, focused mostly on sales strategies and less on client service. Hardest part of the job was complying with the "Fiduciary Standard" in an environment that put sales over service - difficult to maintain balance and focus on client needs versus leadership-driven and assigned sales "goals."
Pros
Independent, however...
Cons
...you were asked to resign if you didn't meet assigned sales quotas
Highly recommend for young professionals
Operations (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXMarch 15, 2018
First Command supports and encourages career advancement, but is relatively limited to young professionals with little or no experience.

The department I work in has a very low percentage of employees with a bachelor's or experience (to include experience outside First Command), which is uninspiring to those of us who do.
Pros
Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP)
Cons
Non-collaborative work environment
Most Enjoyable part of the job
Office Asistant (Former Employee) –  WiltshireFebruary 21, 2018
Our district as a whole had a great time during training and events. We always had a wonderful time in the office while still getting work done. Helped the Advisor win two awards for about of clients serviced.
Moderate
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAFebruary 14, 2018
This position would be best suited to someone who values sales achievement above all other skills.

Expenses are high and workload extensive to keep you individual business profitable
Enjoyed working here
Anonymour (Former Employee) –  AnonymousFebruary 6, 2018
I do not appreciate that indeed is now forcing you to review every company you have worked for in order to use the site's services. At all. Very bad move on their part.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at First Command Financial Services, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.0InHerSight Score

3.0Personal Development

3.3Career Opportunities

2.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight