Play YouTube video button
First Command Financial Services, Inc.
61Average

First Command Financial Services, Inc. Employee Reviews

United States162 reviews
Featured review
First Command Financial Services, Inc. selected this as a representative review
First Command is a great company that focuses on military families securing their financial future. During the first few years as an advisor, you will work a great deal and feel a bit overwhelmed at times. Once you establish yourself as a solid advisor, the monetary benefits can be tremendous and you also have the ability to set your own schedule. I have been associated with First Command for 16 years now and am extremely happy doing what I do. The first few years, however, are a struggle financially.
Pros
Schedule flexibility, future financial benefits
Cons
Long hours in the beginning, but it pays off later
First Command is an inclusive company that cares for their employees and encourages upward mobility. Employees are business owners who take pride in helping service members accomplish their financial goals.
Pros
Encouraging atmosphere
I'm a licensed associate (series 7, 63, 64) & was forced to take the Series 99. They were told that I was grandfathered in, yet my supervisor convinced the legal dept to write a letter to have an exception made. Why? Because the position required a S99! No respect, argumentative team leader.
If you do not have a base of support within your local community, it will be VERY difficult to get your financial business off the ground. Make yourself know within your community as someone people know and can count on. Spread a wide social net to ensure you succeed.
Good company with good people. A good amount of travel. Lots of training and then more training. If you don't like constantly learning this job is not for you.
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
I was a personal assistant for a Financial Advisor at First Command. The environment was good to be in and it was consistent, good work. Definitely would recommend working for this company.
great place to work
management is caring and flexible, understanding of family needs

very dependable and predictable environment

great environment to learn
Its not a great company to work for and the main purpose of the company is to sell life insurance to military families. If you aren’t buddies with a manager there is no amount support and no respect that will bring to fruition a raise, promotion or upward mobility. Favoritism and exclusivity among managers. Not many leaders among the managers! They are so insecure about losing their position they will eliminate anyone they feel is a threat.
March 16, 2020
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. I am sorry to learn of your negative experience. Please know that we share your belief in the importance of our people to the success of this company. We are committed to upholding the highest standards of integrity and respect in our workplace relationships. If we fall short, then we want to know it. We monitor our efforts through feedback mechanisms like employee surveys and online reviews. I have made our leadership aware of your perspective so we can continue to bring positive change to the organization.

VP, Communications & Media Relations
I worked for two advisors. One was fantastic, hard working, fair, and had excellent work ethic. The other one, greedy, narcissistic, power hungry, and micro managed to the point of suffocation. It was a love/hate job. No benefits, and two .50 cent raises within 6 years! Not worth the loyalty I gave.
March 9, 2020
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We seek to create and sustain a culture that inspires our employees and makes them feel appreciated. Encouraging feedback and constructive criticism is part of that commitment. We invite our employees to share their experiences so we can address any shortcomings. We monitor our efforts through feedback mechanisms like employee surveys and online reviews. If we fall short, then we want to know it. I have made our leadership aware of your perspective so we can continue to bring positive change to the organization.

VP, Communications & Media Relations
To sum it up- First Command is stuck in the past and not terribly interested in being truly innovative. There are some really great people there, but generally the leadership is managing talent like it is 1990. Some departments even seem to be threatened by people that speak up to issues/challenges. For these reasons, it is difficult for FC to retain the valuable talent, especially in DFW.
March 5, 2020
Thank you for sharing your perspective with us. As an employee-owned company, we are committed to creating and nurturing a positive environment. We seek to create and sustain a culture that inspires our employees and makes them feel appreciated. Encouraging feedback and constructive criticism from our employee owners is part of that commitment. We invite our employees to share their experiences so we can address any shortcomings and bring positive change to the organization. We maintain an open door policy, and we encourage employees to discuss business-related problems with their supervisors or with any members of management. We pay close attention to the results of employee surveys and reviews on Indeed and other sites. First Command has been named one of the Best Companies to Work for in Texas by Texas Monthly, the Texas Association of Business, Texas Society for Human Resource Management and Best Companies Group. This recognition was based in large part on results of an employee survey to measure the employee experience. I will be sure to make our leadership aware of your concerns so we can continue to improve.

VP, Communications & Media Relations
Usually worked with legacy code, refactoring and making it cloud compatible. Lots of meetings. Some opportunities to work with new tools. Amazing and really really helpfum team members in the software development department.
I liked Working at FC, but I was let go because a different DA was coming in, and wanted to bring an AA she personally knew. Even that that meant training someone from the very beginning. It was pretty Messed up. So it doesn’t matter if you are performing well at all. I feel that is very unjust they are allowed to do that. The morale in that office was already gone anyways. Now even more since they fire employees when their work performance is very good.
February 25, 2020
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Please know we value your comments. We are committed to upholding the highest standards of integrity and respect in our service to clients and to one another. We monitor our progress through feedback mechanisms like employee surveys and reviews on Glassdoor and other sites so we can continue to bring positive change to the organization. I will be sure to make our leadership aware of your concerns.

VP, Communications & Media Relations
Our mission is couching those who serve in their pursuit of financial security. Since 1958, First Command Financial Advisors have been shaping positive financial behaviors through face-to-face coaching with hundreds of thousands of client families. We help you build successful financial behaviors early in your military career and together we apply them consistently throughout your lifetime. That's why our Advisors are in 170 offices worldwide - with emphasis on being near major military installations - to keep you financially squared away wherever life takes you.
No proper training. The advisor i worked for was so "hands off" I felt like I was working by myself with little or no direction. In doing some record reviews and updating records of clients I found multiple incidents of records that had documents that were illegal to have on hand (i.e. photocopies of military ID's) and other policy violations. Advisor did not care.
January 17, 2020
Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences. Regarding your statements about handling of records – please know that our policies and actions are continuously monitored to promote a culture of compliance and a fiduciary standard of conduct by which we first and foremost act in our clients’ best interests. I urge you to report your concerns, with further details, to our Quality Management Team via email at Quality_Management_Inbox@firstcommand.com so we can investigate and take any appropriate action that may be warranted. Also, I'm sorry to hear about your frustrations related to training and lack of direction. We are committed to creating and nurturing a positive workplace environment. We will share your comments with our Leadership so we can bring continuous improvement to our company.

VP, Communications & Media Relations
Overall the company consistently makes sure their employees and community are happy. They are provide lots of support for our military community and members of their staff when needed.
Having been a client for the past 29 years and being taken care of by many advisors in the field throughout my husbands military career, it is truly a privilege to be on the other side of the fence to help serve our military, federal, and civilian clients. Our goal is to work with integrity at all times in helping them to obtain their financial goals. Our team is not perfect, but our intentions are genuine and truly take pride in how our clients allow us to be a part of their journeys.
Workplace culture deteriorated after going "casual" from "business casual". Other people in my department used vulgar language and that raised up other issues.

I really liked working there. But with the problems it wasn't worth it.
December 18, 2019
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. First Command strives for an efficient, productive work environment that fosters dedication and mutual respect among our employees. Our employees are expected to conduct themselves in a manner that promotes a positive work environment. The dress guidance at First Command is simple. Dress appropriately for your day. By this, we mean that your wardrobe choices should be based on your planned interactions for that day. For example, a big day or a day with clients might call for something like a dress or a suit while, for a low key day, jeans and a sweater might be your go-to. The decision to offer this type of flexibility in the workplace was based in part on results of an employee survey to measure the employee experience. We’re committed to attracting and retaining talented people, and we are proud of the commitment and dedication of those who choose to be a part of this employee-owned company. Our Home Office employees in Fort Worth believe in and are genuinely committed to a higher calling – serving our Nation’s career military families. I will be sure to make our leadership aware of your concerns so we can continue to bring positive change to the organization.

VP, Communications & Media Relations
Not an investment company only an insurance company. Platform is antiquated and no desire to change. Not a place for a true FINRA Financial Advisor.

Efforts to acquire new clients with skills acquired in the financial community are thwarted by constantly reprimanded for introducing any product not offered by First Command.
December 16, 2019
Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences. As a former Advisor at First Command, you of course know that our offerings include a variety of financial products and services (investments, insurance and banking). We don’t depend on any single product or service provider. We engage in extensive research and due diligence to ensure that our offerings are best suited for the needs of our Nation’s military families. Advisors who are primarily motivated to sell a particular product don’t last long at First Command. They do not typically enjoy long-term success. Our most successful Advisors always put our clients first. They offer products and services in the context of a comprehensive financial plan. First Command Financial Advisors focus on coaching clients to become financially disciplined and confident in their pursuit of financial security. Advisors are trained to address the spectrum of financial issues that clients face. We are committed to a client-first culture that reflects the highest ethical standards and best practices of the financial services industry.

VP, Communications & Media Relations
The work environment was mainly positive as most of the staff were enjoyable to be around and very communicative. You need to be detail oriented and organized in the work place.
There was very little training and the support is not there. It is a very "learn as you go" type environment as a personal banker. The company is great, it's just this particular department that has issues.
Privately owned company established by former military in order to meet the financial needs of current and retired military families. Great culture and history; great benefits, including ESOP. After working there almost 17 years, I felt apart of a big family. First Command Bank is a subsidiary of First Command Financial and is a fast-paced, challenging work environment. The bank is constantly trying to develop new products and stay on top of the latest technological advances. Staffing is a constant struggle, not with turnover, but getting enough positions approved to fill.
Pros
On site concierge, including various food vendors and movie rentals. Full gym facilities, massages.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at First Command Financial Services, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.
Ratings from women
InHerSight Score
3.0Personal Development
3.3Career Opportunities
2.9Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight