First Data Employee Reviews

Found 2,557 reviews matching the search See all 2,877 reviews
Company pays well - specific skill sets learned
Manager (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NENovember 29, 2018
The company does hire from within usually, but there are lots of hiring freezes and always layoffs to cut costs. Company is very diverse and has employee resource groups for participation inclusion. The skills I learned here are difficult to transfer to another company because the job is so specific to the company. Senior management says to do more with less but many job functions fall on the floor due to too few people to cover the workload.
Pros
vacation time, sick time, personal time, 9 holidays, cafeterias on site, 401k matching beginning again in 2019, 12 weeks paid maternity leave, 2 weeks paid paternity leave
Cons
no job security, difficult management, out of touch senior management with the day to day operations
First Data
Project Manager/Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Coral Springs, FLOctober 1, 2018
This company track your badege when you enter the front door, exit, or get up from your desk. This company promotes long time employees without college degrees to become management. There is a culture here that is the opposite of professional/educated.

The buildings/bathrooms are extremely dirty and not maintained.

I left as soon as I was able to obtain a new job. There is a high turnover rate at this company. They do NOT support family, remote working, or exhibit trust in their employees.

Their pay scales are low and the climate is lacking in so many ways.

I worked 7 years at Motorola- amazing company in every way.
I worked at Kinetix the last 3 years - also amazing.
First Data- do not recommend.
Pros
Insurance benefits
Cons
Sweat shop environment, dirty, unprofessional climate, underpaid
Productive, advancement, fun place to work
Senior Processing Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GAOctober 22, 2018
We always had pull up meetings which were very informational. These meetings let us know where we were as far as scheduling, deadlines, and production. I've learned how to work cohesively as a team. It gets the job done more efficiently and proficiently. Management gives you the opportunity to make suggested decisions. The workplace culture was very family -oriented. The hardest part of the job was none because I knew my job and was opened to advancement. The most enjoyable part of my job, honestly, was waking up and knowing that I had one, and the people that I worked with.
Pros
advancement
Cons
Great place to expand skills and develop talent
Finance Director (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 14, 2019
Very corporate and professional place to work. You can by and large be the master of your own destiny. There are plenty of opportunities for advancement but the changes are never ending. Management is fluid and mercurial, while industry is mature and endlessly consolidating.
Pros
Room to grow, good people, opportunities to shine
Cons
Tough politics, endless consolidation, requires considerable flexibility
Didn't seem to care about anything but their bottom line.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEDecember 13, 2018
It didn't feel like the people on top, CEO's and manager's etcetera, really cared about those on the bottom of the totem pole. Most of the time I worked there, there was some kind of hiring freeze or wage freeze. We never got bonuses and rarely got raises. The management was not transparent about things going on within the company. The stress of getting laid off was constant.
Pros
The Hardship program
Cons
Wages and lack of involvement from supervisors
You work there for the people, you leave because of the company
Manager/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  TexasDecember 14, 2018
FDC does not care one bit about individual employees.

Upper Exec's are all about the stock price and that's all. I was in Management meetings with EVP's who had mouths worse than sailors. Any good, inspiring VP's, were mysteriously let go.

If you get hired in, you better get the salary you are asking for. Pay raises and bonuses are insulting at best. Even promotions don't come with an applicable pay raise. If you are a manager, you get one pool for all raises, yearly and promotions. It's laughable.

As a manager, trying to keep up employee moral is challenging when there's absolutely nothing to work with. FD slowly whittles away any benefits day to day employees have. They even have badge reports to make sure you are in the office 80% of the time. I'm pretty sure middle school children are treated more like adults.

If you get an offer from this company, think long and hard...or just run. You will not have work life balance. You will work your butt off and get a hardy hand shake. Read the reviews, focus on the negative ones...those are the people who will tell you what FD doesn't want you to know.
Pros
The people. The day to day people are AMAZING and hard workers.
Cons
The executive team, they are good ole boys who only look out for themselves. They don't know how to build up a team, only how to lay off people.
Great people to work with while the leaders try to determine path they want to take the company.
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NENovember 13, 2018
I enjoyed working with the teams I had and the flexible hours were a bonus. Currently the senior leadership is attempting to change the path the company is taking which is creating a stressful atmosphere as everyone worries about whether or not they will have a job once done. The people are great and working with teams all over the world was a great experience.
Pros
Flexible work shifts
Cons
Work/life balance varies by team, until Jan 2019 no 401K match, senior leadership in New York has different values than leadership and employees in Omaha locations.
No work life balance
Owner Associate (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 27, 2018
Competitive compensation package and benefits
Fast-paced / ever-changing environment
Most enjoyable part of the job was the people
Ongoing expense management / workforce reduction means disproportionate increased work hours for those who stay.
benefits
Cons
no work/life balance
Ok for the short term
Associate Quality Analyst -45hrs/week (Former Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDJuly 23, 2018
First Data has a reputation of doing annual layoffs based on attendance, pay grade and annual review which is very objectional. Their health benefits are very costly for a family And do not use their tuition plan, they will tax you 20% as they consider a reimbursement income. Their pay is based on location and well below average salary for the role. Internal promotion is a joke. I was actually told by a recruiter to leave and get experience elsewhere then come back and hung up on and I was an internal applicant. Again avoid this place, If you are looking for longevity.
Pros
If you have a pulse and some common sense they will hire you
Cons
Poor management, they only care about their numbers mandatory over time to meet their sla's
Diverse place to work with great pay.
Client Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDNovember 16, 2018
Very stressful place to work. If you walk in there healthy you will leave with health problems. Upper management are great at telling lies. You are just a number. They promote some within but it’s all in who you know: The pay is great for the area. Benefits are expensive. Loyalty means nothing to them. They lay off so many people with knowledge and once they suck all information from you and get the dirty work done it’s goodbye. Basically, you get screwed. All races, religions, sexual preference and veterans are welcome and accepted. They love to look good on paper.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Just a number. Lay offs
Just a job
IT OPERATIONS TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NESeptember 24, 2018
The company is a good one to work for but not the best if you want career advancement. The culture is not the best as well. Some people are great to work with but management is a little political. advancement is on who you know basis and not what you know.
Pros
tuition reimbursement
Cons
management, advancement, benefits, wages
Good starting pointing for those new to the job market.
Contact Center Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDOctober 26, 2018
It's a good stating point for getting your feet wet in the job market. Cross training should be mandatory and the company should promote from within. I would recommend yearly pay raises and a competitive starting salary.
Pros
Colleagues and direct managers were great to work with.
Cons
Poor pay and no advancement.
No job security
Settlement Analyst (Current Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDNovember 19, 2018
No job security, poor management, lack of advancement. This is a cut-throat place to work, you can't trust anyone. Instead of building the knowledge of tenured employees to advance them they by pass in favor of bringing in younger employees giving them the advancement opportunities
Pros
vacation time
Cons
no job security
easy environment but can be stressful
CUSTOMER SERVICE (Current Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDOctober 22, 2018
First Data for the most part creates an easy working environment however, they don't care whether or not an employee is ready to learn a new product or is uncomfortable with learning a new product. Once the company trains an employee(s) on a new product including what the employee has already been trained in there is no pay increase. CEO promised financial compensation when an employee became cross trained for different products or departments but there is no compensation that has been added.
Pros
good first time job, offer 401k, has stock options
Cons
not paid enough, needing a degree to get hired
Mixed Feelings
Research Associate; CPhT (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 17, 2019
FDB overall is an ok company to work for. However, the job is extremely stressful and we are overworked and not praised for any good that we do. Promotions do not happen often and most moves mad within the company are lateral. Moving UP the ladder just doesn't really happen, especially in departments such as Editorial and DSG.
Pros
Company lunches, most holidays paid, 3 weeks vaca, 24hrs PTO and 7 days Sick
Cons
No promotions, stressful, no encouragement to move forward or up.
Horrible management, quick burn out rate, entirely customer focused with no regard regard for employee well being.
Merchant Activations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Hagerstown, MD 21740July 12, 2018
I spent 10 years at this company, I only enjoyed working there two years until upper management and department management changed to the "New First Data". after that change there was constant fear of being laid off, employee stress levels soared and employees began to feel like just another butt in the chair that was easily replaceable at any moment. Low employee work/life balance, especially for managers. And no employee promotion or upward career pathing at all, only lateral moves to different departments for similar pay. Employees are micro managed and department managers had no clue how to do employees jobs in their own department as well as management were never around and constantly in meetings for projects not even related to their particular departments functions.
Pros
pay check
Cons
every thing else
Didn’t care about remittance
Lead Operations (Former Employee) –  Newark, DESeptember 11, 2018
Raises sucked, no room for advancement, you could tell the upper management didn’t care. Site directors are great and had to work in very hard circumstances not being able to promote from with in due to losing the Rec and not backfilling positions. It’s hard to keep good people when you don’t promote from within
Pros
Flexible schedule, good site directors
Cons
No advancement opportunity, no 401k match, cut shift differential
management does not value their employees
Finance Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 4, 2018
Pay was good, workspace was adequate but trending down
I enjoyed the people I worked with but it was a revolving door due to senior management regarding employees as replaceable cogs in a machine. This was unfortunate because they had talented employees.
Benefits - used stock options to try to retain employees but not many were willing to suffer that long.
Pros
pay
Cons
Senior management low regard of employees, lack of advancement
Flexible hours but you may not have a job
Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEDecember 6, 2018
First Data is known for its frequent layoffs and whole teams are often replaced with contractors. There is very little culture and little room for growth. The hours are flexible but you are also expected to work at all hours of the night and weekends. There is little communication between teams and many roadblocks to implementing change. They are trying to change but large ships turn slowly.
Pros
Flexible hours, high pay
Cons
Little benefits, poor opportunity for growth
turn over
Senior Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDSeptember 11, 2018
Management was horrible. there was no work/life balance. Management always overbooked and techs got stuck working mandatory ot with zero thanks.. When I started they wanted us to sell one thing per day. By the time I left they were wanting us to average $15 per work order. We received no extra pay for this. We had 6 metrics to meet but all they cared about was $/work order, which wasn't even one of our metrics.. I was the top tech of the month one month but all I heard about was how my $/work order sucked. We were sent out to work in any weather conditions with no thought to our safety. When techs would bring our concerns up in weekly meetings we were told they would look into things- they never did. The health insurance was horrendous with a 2500 deductible. Once the deductible was met they only would pay 80%, not 100%.. The only decent thing was getting every channel for only $20/per month.
Pros
my manager was great
Cons
turn over

Ask a question about working or interviewing at First Data. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

2.9Fairygodboss Score

56%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

50%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss