First Federal Savings and Loan Employee Reviews

Great place to work for until the take over.
BANKRUPTCY SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXJanuary 3, 2019
I loved my jobs there. While doing Bankruptcies I loved dealing w the attorneys and developed the tracking system. If you need to go to dr it was ok.
Pros
Very family friendly, paid all insurances
Cons
When Olney savsing took us over and moved loan servicing to another location.
Very friendly and relaxed environment.
Head Teller (Former Employee) –  Mountainside, NJOctober 10, 2018
I was a Teller which lead to Head Teller. I also helped the manager prove the daily ledgers. I did all the jobs no one else wanted to do since it did make my days go faster. The manager was willing to teach anyone that was willing to learn, and so I did. It was a quiet branch which allowed you to know your customers personally, and sometimes on a daily basis.
Pros
yearly dinner
Cons
good place to work and learn the mortgage business
Servicing Manager (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHSeptember 21, 2018
Enjoyable place to work. Good surroundings and pleasant employees. I was able to advance from a clerical position to a manager in a relatively short period of time. I had lots of responsibilities and recognition
Pros
location
Cons
could work long hours which was difficult with a family
Management, Benefits
Customer Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Newark, OH 43055September 21, 2018
Management is not good there. Benefits are really good there. They do things for there employees around Christmas time. If you can not take a lunch, they buy you lunch.
Good company to work with
Customer Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAAugust 15, 2018
Good co workers and nice customers, it's an old school though , so you don't have good opportunity to grow or learn more.
not busy environment so it can get boring.
banking
Assistant Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVAugust 10, 2018
helping customers with banking transactions, answering questions, advising on accounts. taking customer complaint calls. pulling & processing different reports. cash
Pros
quiet banking atmosphere
Cons
n/a
Good place to leard trade
Senior Appraiser (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MISeptember 13, 2017
First Federal is out of business. S&Ls got stomped during the recession.
Does not apply in this section and I cannot make any recommendations at this time
First Federal is a friendly, community-oriented place to work
Registered Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sequim, WAAugust 9, 2017
I came to First Federal as an alternative to the National Park Service because I was looking for a friendly, service-oriented environment with a full twelve months of work. I am thankful that I judged correctly and that employees are both nice and hard-working. I am proud to work at First Federal and grateful for the friendships the working environment has fostered.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
None, really. I can hike a half hour away from my branch, and my commute is 7 minutes. Nothing beats it.
First Federal no longer is in business
LOAN PROCESSOR (Former Employee) –  Cape Girardeau, MOAugust 3, 2017
I learned a great deal about the financial industry. First Federal was taken over by Boatman's Bank; which was also taken over in the early 90's. The direct supervisor I worked with was wonderful.
Pros
learned a tremendous amount about the financial industry
Cons
taken over - no longer in business
Awesome experience. Took very well care of employees.
Various Positions (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIJune 20, 2017
Its been a long time since I worked here, but I only have fond memories of this place. I learned so much there, and they helped me build my skills that helped me advance to bigger and better things.
Pros
Promoted quality customer service through getting to know clients.
Sr. Customer Service rep (Former Employee) –  McMinnville, ORApril 14, 2017
I started there as a teller and nine years later I was the savings supervisor. I did enjoy working there until I got into management and then I discovered all of the politics that was going on in the management.
Pros
Great place to grow
Cons
Like any company there is a certain amount of politics involved
Very family friendly
Mortgage Loan Processor (Current Employee) –  Newark, OHApril 9, 2017
First Federal is very flexible when it comes to family. They allow employees to attend children's events and school activities during business hours, with no hesitation. I've never worked for a company this family focused before, and it's been an asset.
Avoid employment opprotunities
Loan Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Rafael, CAApril 3, 2017
-Small bank which equals a lot of audits and regulation
-Horrible salaries, everyone feels abused by the pay they receive vs. responsibilities
-advancement only happens if someone quits or dies, a small bank doesn't have as many positions and best believe they will make you do more work because of this fact
-Go for a bigger bank that will have advancement opportunities instead of a 2% cost of living adjustment (not enough)
Pros
sloppy management
Cons
sloppy management and NO training courses
As a teller I enjoyed working with customers and performing their banking requests
Teller (Former Employee) –  Galion, OHJanuary 13, 2017
Enjoyed working with the public, helping customers and making new friends. Employees were helpful to each other and willing to work as a team. If you had a question on a policy, there was always someone there to help. I also liked training new employees and introducing them to our regular customers that came into the bank.
Pros
working with people
Cons
pay was low, but it was still a nice place to work
A good place to work
Systems Acquisitions Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYDecember 27, 2016
Review daily reports on potential mergers with other banking institutions. With the Senior Acquisitions employee, write programs to bring over merger and make it compatible for the company computers.
Pros
Good co-workers
Cons
Useless meetings
Interesting, fast paced, challenging
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lake Charles, LAJuly 27, 2016
Fast paced job duties that required meeting constant deadlines with last minute changes. Required follow up by phone or e-mail for necessary documents required for closed loans.
Pros
Yearly family picnic, monthly recognition of employees' birthdays
Cons
Vacation time had to be taken all at one time
First civilian job after military
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Madison, WISeptember 14, 2014
Typical day at work start by reviewing work orders. Check HVAC and general maintenance tasks. Go to other bank branches and perform general maintenance duties and some grounds keeping.

I learned that I enjoyed this kind of work and wanted to expand my knowledge in HVAC and construction etc.

Management was helpful in giving me some direction.

I had little interaction with co-workers.

Drive time. Locations were very wide spread

Most enjoyable part of the job was just fixing things and taking care of my buildings
Pros
work truck was provided
Cons
travelling from site to site
Great Job with much diversity
Branch Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCNovember 4, 2013
Enjoyed all the different and varied job duties. Challenged you to be the best at what you did, and taught you how to deal with people and conflicts.
Pros
great overall experience
Cons
When the market began to change, the inability to help customers more
Busy and Productive
Savings/Checking Clerk (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILMarch 24, 2013
Recieve and go over and mark up report. Go to computer make changes on accts., do paperwork to match changes. Customer service on the phone and in person.
very enjoyable place to work with great team members
Customer Information Representative (Former Employee) –  Independence, KSJanuary 31, 2013
First Federal was a very employee friendly company. They had an open door policy and all management was very supportive. My job contained many different duties and I did not have down time which I liked very much. The hardest part of my job was dealing with the tax reporting regulation reports to the government. Although this was the hardest part of my job, I enjoyed it very much. The most enjoyable part of my job was being a resource person for supplies and questions concerning checking and savings accounts.
Pros
free soft drinks provided; paid a monthly amount for insurance provided by another carrier
Cons
low pay