First Financial Credit Union Employee Reviews

Workplace culture:
Teller (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMNovember 19, 2018
my co-workers were always friendly and helpful, everyone worked together. There were advancement opportunities, committees to participate in, support and encouragement with personal growth.
Pros
great teammates
Cons
working every Saturday
Fun and fulfilling envoronment.
PRESIDENT AND CEO (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMNovember 2, 2018
The employee culture worked so well that quotas were eliminated. The membership (customer base) were treated so well that we received repeat business and got referrals for new business. Employees were recognized and rewarded for their efforts which help result in record-breaking profits.
It was a great place to work. Relaxed yet professional.
Mortgage Loan Officer (Former Employee) –  10400 Academy Blvd #150, Albuquerque, NM 87111October 11, 2018
I enjoyed working for FFCU I would have stayed there if I had not moved to Texas. I enjoyed my 12 years working with the company. My co workers were great to work with.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
No further growth for me in my department
fun place to work especially with the commuinty
Teller Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Gallup, NM 87301September 18, 2018
steady paced work we always stayed busy and always met the members needs daily. i really enjoyed my employment with First Financial Credit Union. the Staff and members were always so friendly
Pros
members and staff were sll so friendly
Cons
management didnt work with me on any of family events like school activites
Fun place to work
TELLER (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMOctober 17, 2017
I regret leaving this job. Management is great and growth opportunities are endless. I only worked there as a teller but I know other who advanced quickly to a customer service rep. From there others went to lending, IT, and some became managers. They also do these huge fund raisers for breast cancer and the branches get really competitive which makes it all fun.
sales Driven
Teller II (Former Employee) –  Torrance, CAAugust 29, 2018
Temp there for a few months, very sales driven cool people I love the customers employees were ok but when it came to hire me the temp it was a no go gave all I had they went with some one else who had no banking experience
Pros
Cons
sale driven low pay
Productive and competitive
Teller (Current Employee) –  Gallup, NMAugust 14, 2018
I enjoyed being part of the team and wish I never had to leave. Everyone worked as a team and I never felt alone when handling any type of situation. I would highly recommend.
Best Place I've worked EVER!!!!
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  West Covina, CAApril 11, 2012
Assist members in reviewing all transactions made. Carefully and attentively processing all transactions. Sales, Sales, Customer Service, Sales.

I learned that working for a great company can reflect on your future goals. My management team was AWESOME!!! Each manager that I met was great at what they did, they were always willing to help you achieve your goals. The hardest part was leaving this job! I enjoyed absolutely everything about this job, I was really looking forward to having a career here.
Pros
everything! career, benefits, pay.
Cons
can't think of any.
Fun place to work for
Assistant Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Torrance, CAJanuary 20, 2018
First Financial CU work day was non-stop, very stressful, sales driven. Very diverse culture which was great place to work. Great members, great co-workers.
Pros
Great place to work, great pay
Cons
Sale driven
Fun place to work
Collection Supervisor (Former Employee) –  West Covina, CADecember 12, 2017
I enjoyed the work there and all of the management staff was very enjoyable to work with, I learned a lot working there this was a great place to work
Pros
Great management
Cons
inconsistance
FFCU Summary
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 11, 2014
The company is based in West Covina and requires all branch employees to commute there on a regular basis. Training is lacking and can be delayed if there isn't a class available when a new employee starts. This creates an uncomfortable work environment because from day 1 the employee will be in the branch with no training and expected to figure it out. The salaries and benefits are very strong, but the company severely lacks infrastructure. The computer programs used in the branches for sales and operations are archaic and need to be updated. The programs often crash or lack clear information, and many of the commands require letter codes that you are not taught, making even a simple sale very frustrating to process. The company intranet has multiple directories created by different departments that format differently, making it nearly impossible to find information when you need it. For example, an important document form would not necessarily be located under "Forms" but rather would be found under a different heading altogether.
You find that half your day is lost just trying to maneuver through the difficult processes set in place by the company rather than actually being able to focus on selling and producing. To make it worse, the culture is very prideful, and the mentality towards employees is "sink or swim". There is no room for expressing your ideas as a way to improve how the company operates. Instead the answer is "that's just how it's always been" or "you just get used to it and learn to accept it" or "don't worry about it and just focus on sales".
  more... The company likes to have monthly celebrations at the corporate HQ and isn't afraid to spend a lot of money on their parties. However, they have 0 tolerance for anyone who isn't 100% on board with their ideas.  less
Pros
monthly lunch sent to branches, good salary and benefits
Cons
Poor executive leadership, very high turnover, high sales pressure
First Financial
Member Service Representative III (Former Employee) –  Orange County, CAApril 5, 2018
Provided consultations for new and existing members regarding credit union products and services by analyzing the members needs to find the best solutions, tele-consulted daily to existing members to ensure all future and current financial needs, participate and often facilitate morning sales meetings to ensure maximum productivity throughout the day, attended and hosted business development events at local schools to generate new membership growth and core product development, consistently met and exceeded scorecard goal. Achievements include 160% loan production increase in first month of employment.
Management is lacking
Manager (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMApril 6, 2017
It's impossible to advance without being friends with management. Senior management runs the company without experience. Company moral is low and there is little to no accountability. With budget cuts and poor performance I don't see this place getting very far.
Pros
Good benefits, flexible schedule
Good team and company
Manager (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMFebruary 13, 2018
This is a great company to work for. They have the desire to grow the CU, they are very open to listening to it employee's. Great place to get knowledge of the CU and banking industry.
Worst Place I have ever worked.
Assistant Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CADecember 18, 2014
I worked as an assistant manager, but practically the branch manager. Please assistant manager BEWARE! You will do all the work while the BM's sit on their bottom's. The credit union hires horrible BM's who know absolutely nothing, while they hire intelligent AM's to really run the branch. This is a churn and burn environment. They require 300,000 in auto, 15 credit cards, and 20 qualified checking accounts each month. Seems obtainable right? There are 10 branches and out of the 10 each month only a max of 3 branches make goal. Somethings wrong with this picture. Well it's because the membership is closed and teachers don't want loans. This place sets you up for failure. I am not saying these things as an upset pervious employee, I am saying it out of care to forewarn people. If your desperate for a job, then take it. However, if you have other offers take that one. DO NOT let the pay fool you. I worked by myself as the only manager for over seven months. They required me to work six days a week without lunches and breaks(true lunches and breaks). They do not care about branch employees only corporate. STAY AWAY! But one can only make their own judgement after the fact. For one of the branches I worked at I had nine people quit on their first day, well they were smart to get out. This place has not room for growth, if you are not the flavor of the month you will not succeed. WORST PLACE I EVER WORKED. God bless all who work here!

Nothing about this place is enjoyable!
Pros
The moment I got out of this place!
Cons
short staffed, churn and burn culture, unrealistic goals, don't care about work life balance for families, they break a lot of labor law rules and expect you to just go with it.
I liked my job and made it enjoyable helping customers
Senior Member Contact Representative (Former Employee) –  West Covina, CAJune 20, 2012
call center fast paced environment. Sometimes employees were overlooked. Very talented individuals high turn over rate because company would not hire enough staff.
Pros
good company low rates for credit union loans
Cons
union did not give many raises, you had to be in the union and pay dues
Worst work place
Member Service Representative III (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 12, 2014
Worst management team and Worst Company to work for in my whole career lift
Account Representative
Teller/Head Teller (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIMay 13, 2014
As vault tell I ensured all tellers had the appropriate amount of funds for the beginning of the new business day. Reviewed EFT documents to hand post deposits to appropriate accounts for any bills to the paid from account holders. Had to complete EFT exceptions showing that an error had occurred and to apply correct information so that these individuals would not suffer delays of any transaction into or out of their respective account. Fielded a wide range of questions from our clientele. Opened and closed accounts as necessary. Took loan and Visa applications and completed credit checks. Upon approval of loans, I would process loan documents and close the loans with the client. Ordered and received cash from the Feds. Verified complete count of cash delivery. Processed by deposit by encoding checks for deposit via carrier service. Balanced vault throughout day and did final balance end of business. Encouraged management to spot balance for verification. Assisted tellers in their end of day balance of cash. Assisted in locating errors (if any) and correcting transaction. I established a well balanced training program that allowing each new employee to set their pace without outside pressures. This allowed each to achieve highest business goal. Our customers were the best and it was an absolute enjoyment because they accepted my team for whom we were and we gladly reciprocated. Getting ready for State and Federal audits were always the most anxious and challenging of times. Not that I was worried about the onset of the audit, but one never truly knows if one is  more... completely prepared. However, each year I was Head Teller and Vault Teller, were rated Five Star Awards. The President and CFO were very approachable while at the same time very professional. Always had an open door policy. I was allowed to express suggestions which would or could lead to further open discussions. Working with this management team allowed myself to hone my customer service representative skills that both benefitted the business.  less
Pros
Diversity and Culture of the Business
Cons
State and Federal Audits
Manager
Executive Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  West Covina, CAApril 23, 2017
Incentive driven salary. Strong sales and service skills a must. Pay is great with plenty of benefits: 401k, PTO, Health insurance, and employee related events.
A very small call center.
Phone Banker (Former Employee) –  West Covina, CAJuly 23, 2013
A typical day at work was taking about 50 calls. I learn how to reach my goals on a daily basis. Management was not so great because they was not ready to help. My co-workers we helped each other because the management team was not friendly and willing to help. The hardest part of my job was dealing with my management team. The most enjoyable part of my job was helping my members with there personal banking account.
Pros
One of the pros was we had half days on every other Friday.
Cons
A con was the management team.