First Guaranty Bank Employee Reviews

Terrible place to work
Teller (Former Employee) –  Hammond, LAMarch 20, 2019
A well programmed computer/robot could replace 85% of this institution and save a lot of money and headache and no customer would know the difference.
Pros
None to speak of
Great opportunity
AVP - Branch Office Administrator (Former Employee) –  Hammond, LAJanuary 8, 2019
Daily meetings with my staff and my COO.
Worked closely with the IT Department
Product Development
I enjoyed each challenge and opportunities
Great company to work for
Caring executive management
New opportunities daily
Pros
New opportunties daily. Great benefits and caring executive management
Cons
Did not have any. Great place to work
Upper Managment
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  LouisianaJanuary 5, 2019
Upper management was oblivious to the branch environments and how different they all were. Upper Management never gave the branches feedback or the proper tools to be successful. Poorly managed!
Pros
Cannot think of any
Cons
Salaries, Lack of Upper Managment Support
Horrible Retail Management
Resource Associate (Former Employee) –  Hammond, LADecember 5, 2018
This bank has high turnover in their Retail department because they pick the wrong people for the wrong jobs! Nepotism is very common for promotion!!!
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Poor Management
Productive but enjoyable enviroment.
Resource Specialist (Former Employee) –  Dubach, LANovember 14, 2018
A day is pretty busy with a variety of things to do. I learned more about banking regulations. We had some good managers that knew what banking is about. It is a more laid back company. The hardest part was wanting to help people but there was only so much I could do. Earning the trust of the customers.
Pros
Working with people I enjoy.
Cons
When I had to disappoint people by not being able to help them with what they needed.
Good learning experience
Teller (Former Employee) –  Denham Springs, LASeptember 6, 2018
A typical day as a Teller was almost exactly the same five days a week. I would count my drawer, cash checks, take deposits, make change, complete nigh deposits, etc.
With our bank changing ownership, and my job changing from an SBA BDO to a "traditional loan officer", it was very challenging to say the least.
Business Development Officer/SBA/Commercial Lender (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXSeptember 6, 2018
To begin with, besides being a seasoned commercial lender, my focus the last 20 years has been on SBA lending and business development. But with the acquisition of Synergy Bank by First Guaranty Bank (FGB) in June, 2017, things really begin to change. While the individuals were nice of whom I worked with very well, the work environment became very challenging. After the acquisition, FGB stopped paying commissions which is standard in the SBA world of which I had been receiving over the past 20 years of SBA business development. Next, I transitioned from an SBA BDO to a "traditional loan officer" located in the branch which is not my forte. I had never worked for a bank in my 48 year career whereby the loan officer spent more wasted time on grunt work and menial tasks of a loan request versus being able to do what I do do best, business development. The loan process from the initial client contact until closing and funding was very labor intensive for the loan officer. (And we had excessive training sessions that interrupted time away from doing my job.) As a result, I lost several of my long-time loan referral sources due to the excessive amount of time it took to get a deal closed. Finally, while previously I could work from home, with FGB I was expected to be in the office which resulted in me driving 56 miles one way to work each day that I believed was not the best use of my time. After much praying and discussion with my wife, I decided to retire from full-time employment on 7/31/18. I still certainly enjoy SBA lending (looking to do 3-4 million annually in 7a/504  more... loans), and with a good network of referral sources and being involved with the SBA lending family for a long time, I am looking to find a part-time gig (15-18 hours per week) working from home either doing business development or assisting a bank with their clients in helping them to put their loan package together for presentation to the bank.  less
Pros
The immediate people I worked with in the branch.
Cons
The excessive time it took to get a deal closed and not doing full-time what I do best, SBA business development.
It’s a nice relaxed environment
Teller (Former Employee) –  Amite, LAJuly 25, 2018
I enjoyed my job for the most part I worked with good people. They cared about their employees and family. They worked with me through my pregnancy and another girl who was pregnant.
Pros
Enjoyed the customers
Cons
Dealing with rude customers
hometown
Resource Associate/Relationship Banker (Current Employee) –  Vivian, LAJune 20, 2018
small bank with hometown values... Management is pretty laid back if you do your job. Hours can be pretty flexible and upper management is very caring and laid back
I learned alot while working with First Guaranty
Securities Processing Clerk (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMay 15, 2018
I feel that my skills were used appropriately. I learned alot while working with First Guaranty. There have been many improvements with automation in the processing systems since that job.
poor working environment
New Accounts Representative (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLFebruary 9, 2018
Very stressful work environment. No team collaboration. Co-workers were very competitive for client business. My supervisor was not approachable. There was a layoff of several people at one time. It was overall a very unpleasant work experience. The company has since gone out of business.
GreatTeam
LOAN ENTRY SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Hammond, LAJanuary 2, 2018
I would review the loans make sure they were in banking guidelines and they were in compliance before book over 300 loans per month on the system. I had over 18 branches dealing with loan officers on a daily basics
Pros
Getting all the loans booked on the system by month end
Cons
Working over the weeksends to get other coworkers caught up
Friendly atmosphere, great co-workers, and great customers.
Loan Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hammond, LADecember 26, 2017
The hours were excellent. Our CEO was very friendly and personable. I was presented with great training throughout my time there. I learned many new banking skills, customer service and how to properly deal with money based on the different types of transactions. I enjoyed the relationships made between co-workers and customers.
Relaxed Work Environment With Upside Potential
Financial Analyst II (Current Employee) –  Hammond, LADecember 22, 2017
Relaxed work environment with upside potential for effective individuals early in their career. Small enough to gain experience in multiple areas. Management is relatively lax. Career advancement after a few years seems limited due to size.
Pros
Relaxed working environment, accommodating management
Cons
Limited career advancement
Pleaseant corporate environment
Chief Financial Officer (Former Employee) –  Hammond, LASeptember 21, 2017
First Guaranty Bank was a well-organized, well-run, commercial bank. The bank had experienced capital difficulties in the years prior to my employment with them. I enjoyed the challenges that the bank presented, and was ultimately successful at doubling net income two straight years while I was employed there.
Bank Teller (Former Employee) –  Hammond, LAAugust 11, 2017
Would recommend anyone to work at a bank. You really learn the security of details. Loved meeting new customers, would cash checks, deposits and withdrawals.
Productive and relaxed work place
Teller (Former Employee) –  Independence, LAAugust 8, 2017
Great work environment I learned a lot about cash handling and organizing/filling out various forms of paper work. I became skilled in answering phones and helping customers with questions and concerns to the best of my ability.
Good company to work for
Employee (Current Employee) –  LouisianaMay 23, 2017
First Guaranty Bank has been a good company to work for. They also offer a good benefits packages. Medical, vision, dental, 401k, as well as a health savings plan.
Good Place to Work
Training Specialist (Current Employee) –  Hammond, LAMarch 6, 2017
This company is very family oriented and good people to work with. Good advancement within the company, very involved in the community. They give back in the surrounding companies that they are in.
Great atmosphere and wonderful coworkers
Construction and Special Projects Manager (Current Employee) –  Ponchatoula, LADecember 14, 2016
Having no experience in banking, First Guaranty Bank became a surprise opportunity for me. I have thoroughly enjoyed learning this industry and working with these people. If you are in any sector of banking, I definitely recommend FGB.