First Hawaiian Bank Employee Reviews

Very top bank with regard to management and employee relations
AVP & Area Manager (Former Employee) –  GuamJuly 25, 2018
First Hawaiian is First a class bank, with top management leadership and HR supervisors. It was one on my favorite places to work. The bank was very customer service oriented.
Pros
Employee development opportunities
Cons
sometimes long hours
its a great job
Lei Palakiko-Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HI 96815July 14, 2018
Helping customers with their transactions and any questions or concerns. The irate customers are the hardest to deal with. Its a family oriented company.
Good experience
Quality Control/Lead Call Center Representative (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIJuly 8, 2018
Working there showed me how much I enjoyed that type of work. I gained alot of knowledge and experience which made me want to get back into this type of industry.
fast paced but a lot of fun
Call center representative (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIJuly 7, 2018
About 160-180 calls a day. I worked fulltime first and decreased later to a part time job. Since we got slowly ready to a military move again. Daily duties were assisting customers in their banking needs with checking, savings, credit-card accounts, loans, mortgages or online banking. As well as cross selling bank products.
Pros
the call center was like a big family, often pot-locks and more
Supervisors need more training
Officer (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIJuly 4, 2018
Supervisors need more training on how to effectively manage fairly and appropriately. It was obvious that there were favorites who were given leeway for time and attendance and projects assigned.
TELLER (Former Employee) –  Hagåtña, GUMay 6, 2018
Some days were busier than others but the coworkers and management made it a little fun with jokes and laid back but fast paced attitudes. There was never drama in the work place
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Short lunches
Not sure how they get Best Place to work awards each year
Relief Teller (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIMay 2, 2018
Being the largest bank on the island I expected more from the company in terms of taking care of their employees. Benefits were great. Free lunches on Fridays were great too
Pros
Free lunches on friday
Cons
salary
Merchant Teller (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIApril 26, 2018
Awesome manager, great co-workers, pay was to little to raise a family in Hawaii. Gained knowledge about banking. Amazing manager, moral was good. Met lots of great people.
Pros
Awesome place to work
Data entry (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIApril 12, 2018
Data Entry all day.

Workplace culture was difficult. It was hard to be the new girl there.

The hardest part of the jobs was perfecting my mistakes.

The most enjoyable part of the job was getting faster & better.
Pros
There was a cafeteria located in the building
Cons
The AC was always so cold
Favoritism, terrible place to work for.
Teller (Former Employee) –  Maite, GUMarch 21, 2018
I wouldnt recommend. One of the biggest regrets of my life. Alot of turns in the company. However there are a few awesome coworkers. Pay was okay. Your better off elsewhere.
Benefits
Cons
Everything else
Unhealthy Environment
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIMarch 13, 2018
Culture is poor and management is not transparent or professional. Most staff are friendly; however, there is little opportunity for advancement within the organization.
Pros
Cons
see description
One of the worst firm I've ever worked
Project Analyst (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIFebruary 27, 2018
This firm has a culture where energetic self-starter cannot thrive. People lack initiative and operate in a silo. They complain about how the place doesn't change but doesn't really do anything to make difference. Very low employee turn over in a sense that the firm has some people who've worked for 40 years and about to retire.

I worked in an IT department. The executive leadership was good but the mid-managers are frustratingly incompetent. After I quit, more people quit.

No career advancement for young, ambitious people. Like I mentioned, so many people who're over 60 doing absolute minimum til retire. This extremely low turnover works against younger talent. Whatever the job you've started with will be your job in next 5 years.
Different Locale Culture
Help Desk/CSR (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIFebruary 19, 2018
Being born and raised in Chicago working on an island that is the furthest point away from any other land mass is very different. A lot was learned about the financial industry withing the state and internationally. Many different ethnic cultures intermingle and yet - being a century old organization - the corporate culture still harbors some old ways.
Awesome place to work, and an even better team of people!
Bank Teller (Current Employee) –  Waipahu, HIJanuary 2, 2018
I love First Hawaiian Bank, Ewa Beach branch! My team there makes my job enjoyable! Everyone genuinely helps everyone! No one is in competition with one another and we all work together to effectively service our customers.
Pros
Helpful team!
Grateful
Senior Mail Clerk (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HINovember 27, 2017
I have been one of the lucky ones to have started working for First Hawaiian Bank 25 years ago. With each passing year it gets better. I love and enjoy the people that I work with and appreciate them. They are like my continuing family. A typical day at work is on average busy and depending on the time of year it gets pretty hectic. I have learn things here from the bottom up and appreciate the bank lessons AIB. The culture here is very diverse which is a good things because you get to know each other and our backgrounds which makes working and meeting people very uplifting and interesting. The hardest part of the job is when we are busy which is quite often but, I have learned a lot on how to budget my time wisely. The most enjoyable part of the job is the People, I feel the importance of a good work ethics and personalities are essential to getting things done in a productive and timely manner. When we all work together for the same cause it makes things better.
Pros
People, Medical
Cons
Everyone has their own.
Productive, great co-workers, workout gym onsite
Data Security Analyst II (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HINovember 14, 2017
Enjoyed the working with other employees

The work was slow paced and pay was very low compare to market rate.

Management was very old school thinking
Pros
onsite gym and cafeteria
Cons
slow pace
Great branch and management
TELLER (Former Employee) –  Kapolei, HINovember 9, 2017
Branch location and management was a plus. Loved my supervisors and manager and some of employees. Up beat of amtospehere when no drama going on. Some were to childish for the job I believed. Loved the set Monday thru Friday schedules and half day on some Saturdays. I got to learned a number of bank operations such as personal and business loans. The job responsibilities and duties were not hard as long as you get the hang of it. The hardest part of the job is when your doing all you can to help the customers and they are talking to you like they know your job when in fact they have no clue.
Pros
dress down and free lunches on Fridays
Cons
pay
Good
Help Desk Support (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HIOctober 23, 2017
Great company to work in. Like every company there is good and bad. Wish pay was better for the work we do. Good values and I like how they give back to the community
love to work this place. My family relocated to California .
Microfilm/Microfiche Retrieval Clerk (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HawaiiOctober 22, 2017
This was my job in Hawaii . I researched and reproduced documents from Microfilm/ Microfiche requests from various branches and departments. Retrieved, refiled and transferred microfilm / microfiche into proper storage catalogs and film boxes . Answers phones and responded to inquires .
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
n/a
Pros and Cons
Bank teller/Concierge (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIOctober 19, 2017
- Good benefits: 401K, health, dental, vision, vacation/sick leave, financial advice, good interest rates, and more
- Lack of ability to advance
- Nice coworkers