First Hawaiian Bank Employee Reviews

Collaborative bank where help was always there if needed
Senior Bank Teller (Former Employee) –  Waikoloa, HIApril 2, 2019
Manager was first rate, kind but demanding, supervisor was very good, helped me to learn, and grow In The company. I was given more duties, and promoted to senior teller, assisted Supervisor in balancing vault, and auditing ATM weekly, also was responsible for Balancing ATM daily, as well as my own cash drawer, and completing certifications monthly. And paying and receiving teller as well. I would recommend this Bank to anyone desiring to work there. The hardest part of the job in my opinion was needing to answer phone calls when handling customers that came into the branch. The most enjoyable part to me were the customers, like friends to me, it was a joy to help them, and chat with them. I worked for First Hawaiian Bank for six years, I had to leave for my Husbands and Mother’s health issues, otherwise I would still be there working for this great Bank.
Pros
Bank get togethers, 401k benefits, hours, aloha spirit.
Collaborative and very goal focused company.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HIMarch 27, 2019
FHB is a great company to work for. The pay is of industry standard to say the least. The compensation and benefits are impressive on the other hand. The company culture is really one that nurtures and cares for their employees.
Pros
company culture, inward growth, employee benefits
Cons
Paltry pay, sales focused
Managers Kinda Suck
Teller (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIMarch 18, 2019
I was with the bank for 2 years, during this time I worked with several supervisors. Most of them were kind, friendly and understanding. But there was one that was straight up a jerk. He expected you to know everything, even if you never had banking experience. Yells at you for lack of customer service which he has none of himself. He wants to be right all the time so he scolds you like a dog every chance he gets. Prisoners get treated better than how he treats us! Nobody needs that sort of negativity and the pay rate is not worth that stress.

But the benefits, my coworkers were all nice and I'm grateful for how patient they were with me. You get discounted/free bank services (like free check orders, food, Xmas gifts and parties.)

Maybe best way to describe my time with FHB, good company just not a good position.
Pros
Family Oriented, Friendly Co-workers, Normal Work Hours, Direct Deposit
Cons
Could not stand manager
Good but boring
Account Processing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIMarch 7, 2019
I was hired as a temp and decided to stay on permanently only to find out a few months later that I wasn't interested in banking. Good job, good pay, good hours, nice coworkers, but overall pretty boring. Management communications not always very good (at least in my department).
Pros
Nice coworkers, good pay
Cons
Boring, bad management communication
ok place to work at
Planning and Recovery Analyst, Business Continuity (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIFebruary 15, 2019
because it's the only big company in Hawaii people stay there too long and become too settled and closed minded

• Effectively led 78 business units in completing the annual Business Continuity Plan (BCP) to ensure Audit compliance and alignment with FFIEC regulations.
• Successfully completed the IT Disaster Recovery exercise as an Alternate Lead for the bank-wide stress test that is conducted annually to ensure all business units can fully recover all their critical applications during a mock disruption.
• Project Lead for the Business Impact Analysis (BIA) for all critical business units to ensure they document their critical applications and expected Recovery Time Objective (RTO) within which these critical applications will be tested for recovery during the annual IT Disaster Recovery exercise
• Project Lead for the (BCP) Business Continuity Plan to ensure all 78 business units are in Audit compliance & are aligned with FFIEC regulations in their BCPs and (MOU) Memorandum of Understanding.
• Project Lead for the annual day and after hours evacuation drills to ensure all employees know the procedures of evacuation in case of an emergency.
• Project Lead for the annual Table Top exercises for all 78 business units in the Bank.
• Project Lead for the annual Critical Personnel Survey in which we gather from all departments and division managers their critical personnel deemed essential during a disruption.
• Alternate Lead for the annual bank-wide IT Disaster Recovery (DR) stress test to ensure all business units can fully recover all their critical applications during
  more... a mock disruption.
• Alternate Lead for the annual table-top discussions with all critical business units to be in compliance with Audit requirements
• Lead Internal Communications for DR during disruptions or emergencies
• Improved the emergency notification process for the End User Support Department.
Pros
good people
Cons
enjoyed the involvement that the bank had with the community
Customer Service Representative/Teller (Former Employee) –  Mililani Town, HIFebruary 9, 2019
During my years with First Hawaiian Bank was beneficial because my children were young and I needed a job with hours similar of the public education system. Provided very good benefits including assistance with child care.
Pros
work hours were beneficial
Cons
pay was minimum at the time, but work hours were more of value to meet my lifestyle
Challenging job with great rewards, wonderful people to work with.
Data Security Analyst II (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIJanuary 15, 2019
General 8-10 hour work day.
Learned a lot about Cybersecurity and how it relates to the financial industry.
Management had an open door policy.
Culture was good and people friendly.
Tasks for most people are the same day to day but due to my position things were dynamic day to day.
Not worth it the Pay rate
Bank Teller (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIJanuary 2, 2019
First Hawaiian Bank has a good benefits but some reason our manager are not good as other manager, they have favoritsm.
The Pay rate is not worth it for that kind job. We need more increase
Pros
Free Lunch on Friday
Cons
No bonuses
Very good place to work
Service Manager Associate (Current Employee) –  Kaneohe, HINovember 11, 2018
Company is a very good place to work. My supervisors were very good at explaining things to me since I had no banking experience. They took the time and energy to put their employees through a lot of training course.
Great Place to work
Service Manager Associate (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIOctober 26, 2018
I enjoyed meeting new people and learning new things which they had provided. They Gave great training classes and had a lot of hands on work to help you get adjusted to the banking career.
A Great Experience with the Right Team
Head Teller (Former Employee) –  Kailua, HIOctober 13, 2018
During my employment there, I was blessed with an amazing manager and a team that cared about the community we served in. With the right perspective, helping customers with their financial needs and learning about their goals in life can be quite rewarding when you are partially responsible for helping them make their financial life better. With that mentality, it truly made my job more noble than it seemed.
Pros
Full Hour Lunches.
Cons
Hourly Rates was satisfactory but not amazing.
Call center
Call Center Representative (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HISeptember 3, 2018
Call center was usually very busy. Pay was very low. Raises were offered once a year and capped at 25 cents. Had a huge tsunami scare years ago and they wouldn't let anyone go home but all the managers were able to leave. Place sucks, would not recommend working here. Good coworkers though but not a place for making money.
Family like environment
Consumer Loan Specialist (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIAugust 31, 2018
Caring and giving company. Treated the employees more like family. I worked in 2 departments while there. And both were top notch. I worked in a non-banking building were we had a cafeteria and a gym, which we could use for free.
Awesome place to work
Compliance Administrator/Compliance Officer (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HIAugust 21, 2018
I love working here. I enjoyed the atmosphere the team memebers and the culture. They are very professional and treat you accordingly. Management are very easy to talk to.
Pros
The work environment
Most enjoyable part of the job
Private Wealth Management Investment Specialist (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HIJuly 29, 2018
One of the factors that drive the high performance work culture the bank has is the people. The teams that I've worked with during my time here at FHB have all been motivated team players with great attitudes. Everyone embodies the Aloha spirit and cares for eachother as they do for our customers.
Very top bank with regard to management and employee relations
AVP & Area Manager (Former Employee) –  GuamJuly 25, 2018
First Hawaiian is First a class bank, with top management leadership and HR supervisors. It was one on my favorite places to work. The bank was very customer service oriented.
Pros
Employee development opportunities
Cons
sometimes long hours
its a great job
Lei Palakiko-Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HI 96815July 14, 2018
Helping customers with their transactions and any questions or concerns. The irate customers are the hardest to deal with. Its a family oriented company.
Good experience
Quality Control/Lead Call Center Representative (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIJuly 8, 2018
Working there showed me how much I enjoyed that type of work. I gained alot of knowledge and experience which made me want to get back into this type of industry.
fast paced but a lot of fun
Call center representative (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIJuly 7, 2018
About 160-180 calls a day. I worked fulltime first and decreased later to a part time job. Since we got slowly ready to a military move again. Daily duties were assisting customers in their banking needs with checking, savings, credit-card accounts, loans, mortgages or online banking. As well as cross selling bank products.
Pros
the call center was like a big family, often pot-locks and more
Supervisors need more training
Officer (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIJuly 4, 2018
Supervisors need more training on how to effectively manage fairly and appropriately. It was obvious that there were favorites who were given leeway for time and attendance and projects assigned.