First Investors Corporation Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
This was my first job out of college
Sales Intern (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYMarch 30, 2017
I was able to get licensed at the age of 22 and learned how to build a book of clients, which included learning how to prospect and maintain a satisfied clientele.
Commission based
Financial Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, NJMarch 15, 2017
You need to already have a network of existing clients to be successful in this company. Otherwise, its almost impossible to make decent money to just pay your bills.
Pros
Make your own schedule
Cons
All commission based
Do not work here
Financial Representative (Former Employee) –  Rockland County, NYMarch 14, 2017
So here's my First Investors story...My boss overheard a phone conversation I had with one of my prospects (the FIRST day I started cold calling). The call was a success because I secured the appointment even though I stumbled many times (because at First Investors they need you to "stick to the script"). I hung up and my boss said if I didn't stay on script again he'd "kick my a$#". Basically these losers think they're in a wolf of wall street movie or something and its nothing but a trailer trash version of "boiler room" wannabes. DONT WORK HERE or at least get your licenses and go work somewhere else.
Not for me
Financial Representative (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 8, 2017
I did not enjoy my time at First Investors. First of all, I was lied to regarding salary when I first started. Until you pass all necessary licenses, the paychecks aren't even enough to live on.
job
Sales Intern (Former Employee) –  Amherst, NYDecember 28, 2016
They provided training in accordance with their company guidelines and proceedures and established new hires on an as needed basis in order to maintain a workforce.
100% commission job
Financial Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Livonia, MIDecember 21, 2016
I really enjoyed the people that I directly worked with. I learned a lot while working there. I was able to use my financial background to help educate and inform a vast array of people.
Pros
Amazing co-workers
Cons
Work/life imbalance
Registered Representative (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXDecember 15, 2016
First Investors, now Foresters Financial, is an amazing place to work. Great people, amazing training program, and supportive coworkers.
Great management
Internship (Former Employee) –  Edison, NJOctober 27, 2016
First Investors is a great company who offered me an internship. They are very enthusiastic about teaching new employees. They also pay good.
Pros
Enthusiastic
Cons
Boring
Great training!
FInancial Services Representative (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaAugust 22, 2016
I was surrounded by great people and amazing opportunities to learn. This is a difficult working environment with cold calling and sales with commissions on the line.
Pros
People
Cons
No base salary; long hours
Internship Overview
Intern (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 20, 2014
Part time internship in college. Amazing experience and showed me the inner working of the financial advising field.
Experience, skill and knowledge.
Registered Representative (Former Employee) –  Walnut Creek CAFebruary 18, 2014
I am an experienced business analyst with experience in financial services. Accomplished business analyst with a track record on managing complex projects and exceeding expectations. Practiced in clarifying business requirements, performing analysis and designing process and system improvements to increase productivity and reduce costs.

Highly accomplished financial professional with over 18 years’ experience in Project Management, Prime Brokerage, Risk Management, Operations, Administration, Accounting and Hedge Fund implementation and support. Product knowledge in equities, fixed income, alternative investments, listed derivatives and structured products across the full investment cycle in domestic and international markets. Experienced in legal and compliance related issues, negotiating account opening documents, client and third party agreements.
quiet and calm office
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 3, 2014
I mostly answer the phone and do the light work for my boss. the environment is okay.
First Investments
Intern (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAJanuary 22, 2014
Mostly clerical work as an intern. Not sure if my vote should count
Stay away!
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Endicott, NYJanuary 9, 2014
They pay you nothing, then fire you. Stay away. Do I need to say more than that? Apparently, I do. It's a glorified pyramid scheme. Say what you will about insurance, finances, rollovers, blah blah blah, it's a glorified pyramid scheme. That's it. No more. The year I was there the office hired five new people. By January next year, all five had been fired. The only point of this was to try and dig up new leads for existing agents, who had worked their way further up the pyramid. Stay away.
Pros
short hours
Cons
short employment
Great place to learn about industry
Registered Representative (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIJanuary 8, 2014
Co-workers are helpful and friendly but upper management was not very organized.
other employees are great, but the office is uninteresting and boring.
Registered Representative (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 2, 2014
Paid initial training program, they paid for my licenses, continuous training. I learned how to apply my financial training to protecting peoples finances.First year or 2 requires a large commitment of time/training; it is very easy to quit in the beginning. everyday work is generally dull. The best part of the job is being able to make your own schedule
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
There was no base pay or financial support with the daily expenses of running your business, everyday work is generally dull.
difficult company to work for with limited products to sell
Financial Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PADecember 4, 2013
There was minimal training provided. The products available for sale were sub-par. Just wanted you to sell to family and friends and split commissions with "mentor"
Pros
got licenses at no cost
Cons
minimal training, inexperienced management
Independence
Financial Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 21, 2013
You have a lot of independence, but they play favorites. Also straight commission is not ideal.
first investors review
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYNovember 6, 2013
It was great training to get my licenses. Once trained and licensed I was on my own a lot. I wish there was more out of the office assistance. I loved learning sales skills. Sales is something I see myself doing until I retire.
Hold out for something better!
Financial Representative (Former Employee) –  Nanuet, New YorkNovember 3, 2013
Oodles of promises made, none are kept! They try to tell you things like "we'll support you every step of the way" or "we'll administer training in this area or that"...Never happened. Very poor support from the managers and training managers, and lots of lies made about your compensation. And sketchy methods used to obtain leads.
Pros
You don't have to work if you dont want to