First Merchants Bank Employee Reviews

Proceed with Caution!!!!
Customer Service Agent I (Current Employee) –  Daleville, INDecember 31, 2018
The management is very inconsistent with their policies and procedures. They tell you one thing in a tool that we use, but it constantly changes ( especially attendance wise ). The supervisors and managers talk to their employees anyway they want ( hostile environment ). When it comes to something happening outside of work, they try to manipulate you into staying by giving ultimatums that sound like idle threats ( getting pointed or terminated ). The tools they use are never updated and provide false information. When you reach out to supervisors, they tend to always have an attitude about the littlest things then talk down to you while you're on the phone with them. There's coworkers that work extra overtime voluntarily and when they do, the management doesn't show any kind of appreciation towards employees that work hard to provide for their families. The hourly pay they provide is not worth the extra work.
Pros
Nice facility and clean
Cons
Attitudes, pay, management, hostile environment
Great Company, horrible Management
Service Associate First Merchants Bank (Former Employee) –  Albany, INDecember 30, 2018
I loved the company as a whole, however my manager was very rude and unprofessional. She was constantly talking about the customers and co- workers. When she was not there, everyone loved their job. She did not care for her employees, she only cared about her pay check, and being right.
n/a
Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Mooresville, INNovember 13, 2018
Cash handling, customer service, budgeting, marketing & outreach, weekly meetings, projected numbers, sales, and team building. fast paced and chances to grow within company
Nice place to work
Loan Operations (Current Employee) –  Daleville, INNovember 4, 2018
A nice place to work and not a job I dread going to.
The company is growing, which means job security. They have ok health benefits and a 401k plan. The hours are M-F 8-5. No weekends.
I'm learning a lot about the banking business, specifically the loans department.
I work with a great group of people!
Pros
Benefits/Hours/Team work/Business growth
Productive and Great customers
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Pendleton, INOctober 2, 2018
I enjoyed the face to face interaction with customers, most on a recurring basis. Very detailed and enjoyed the customer service aspect of all of the overall services provided at the bank. Work culture was stressful as management was poor.
Pros
Customer Interaction
Cons
Poor Management
Okay place to work
CSR Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INSeptember 19, 2018
Good job for the right person, relaxed atmosphere but quick paced and a lot of responsibility. Really do not have anything else to say but the staff at most locations are kind and helpful
I don't want to write a review
Banking Center Customer Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Greenwood, INSeptember 10, 2018
As a first time manager, I felt lots of stress trying to figure out my role and expectations. I enjoy the people I work with and fit in with them socially.
Good company
Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 7, 2018
I loved working for First Merchants. The only reason I left was because of a personal matter with the manager. I like the feel of the small bank. I like that the employees get so personal with the customers and get to know everyone that comes in. I very much enjoyed working here
Stressful and a negative place to work in
Customer Service Agent 1 (Former Employee) –  Daleville, INAugust 24, 2018
First Merchants had regulations that changed constantly and was not consistent. Information would be given one day, but it’d be different the next. Meetings would be made but never actually happened.
Pros
Good pay, stable hours
Cons
Stressful, inconsistent, negative, narrow sighted.
Productive workplace with happy people
Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Fishers, INAugust 19, 2018
I enjoy working for First Merchants Bank. The atmosphere is conducive to a healthy work/life balance. I tell my close friends about how happy I am working at First Merchants Bank.
Unprofessional
Assistant Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Tinley Park, ILAugust 17, 2018
First Merchants Bank had many management issues that went from unqualified and unprofessional branch managers who were never in the branch to regional managers who listened to problems with management, but never implemented any changes. I would only recommend working for this company if all other job searches have failed. I did the work of the branch manager and still was shown no gratitude from the company.
Pros
Bonuses for sales, constant available training, easily move up
Cons
Bad management in banking centers, lower pay than other banks, unprofessional
Slow Paced Location but Always Entertaining
part time bank teller (Current Employee) –  Carmel, INAugust 16, 2018
This location is slow but we always find ways to entertain ourselves. Our customers are awesome and the team I work with is great. First Merchants is an encouraging and productivity based work place. They want to help their employees succeed and move upward in their careers with First Merchants.
My branch was great, others not so much
Vault Teller (Former Employee) –  Harlan, INAugust 14, 2018
I loved working at my branch. It was wonderful! Our managers worked hard to keep our customers happy. I worked in a busy branch where I had many jobs to get done throughout the week as well as customers. My coworkers were always willing to help if I needed to farm out some of my simpler tasks. Whenever we needed to outsource help from other branches or corporate, it was normally a long process and often included misinformation. Several of my coworkers as well as myself resubmitted work because we were told the wrong form/process. Customer service caused more problems than they resolved. Constantly heard complaints about other branches being rude or not caring for customers. Corporate wouldn't inform us of new marketing material before it was sent out so we were often caught of guard by new promotions with limited information. Management and communication could be better.
Good place to work and good Growth opportunity.
Assistant Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Ft. Wayne, INAugust 6, 2018
Good place to work and good Growth opportunity. Working here has been a great place to step into the banking world and grow. There seems to be opportunity to move up if desired.
Good team environment, heavy sales focus
Teller (Former Employee) –  Liberty, INMay 24, 2018
The workplace is fine-I never experienced friction with co-workers. The hours are what one would expect, the pay is competitive, the benefits are pretty good, but if one is not suited for a sales-heavy environment, think hard before applying. This bank, like most other commercial banks, is heavily focused on customer retention by number of products, with monthly sales goals to meet for tellers and CSRs alike. It can feel overwhelming at times.

In summary, if you can sell, it's a good place to work. If not, there might be other places you're better suited.
Pros
Good employee attitudes and teamwork
Cons
Occasionally overwhelming sales pressure
Great place for someone to start out a career in banking
Personal Banker (Former Employee) –  Cicero, INMay 15, 2018
FMB is a great place for inexperienced individuals to start their career in banking. There is a great opportunity for advancement, but it is not a place you want a life long career.
Pros
Great paid time off, advancement, training
Cons
Low pay, terrible management, unfair incentive plans
Managers and Co-workers were family
Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 7, 2018
On a typical day after we got bought out by FMB we lost a lot of customers so the days were slow. I have been in my field of business for over 7 years and loved what I did and helping customers with their financial needs.
Busy
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  IndianaApril 23, 2018
Busy and challenging. Rewarding when able to help customers.
Felt like I new my duties and strived to do my best. Enjoyed the customer contact and learning new things within the industry.
Poor place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Muncie, INMarch 22, 2018
Poor management, unreasonable expectations, they don't treat their customers or their employees well. No room for advancement, and it's just sickening that these managers are the kind of people we report to. What a joke. The sooner I'm out of here, the better. Do not work for this company.
Pros
Cons
management
Good
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 15, 2018
First Merchants like any other company strives for excellence and works hard to gain and retain their customers. I feel that some of the leadership and communication is lacking when it comes to the Ohio region for a company based in Indiana. New Leaders are stepping in though so things could be changing soon.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at First Merchants Bank. Our community is ready to answer.