First Merchants Bank Employee Reviews

Unprofessional
Assistant Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Tinley Park, ILAugust 17, 2018
First Merchants Bank had many management issues that went from unqualified and unprofessional branch managers who were never in the branch to regional managers who listened to problems with management, but never implemented any changes. I would only recommend working for this company if all other job searches have failed. I did the work of the branch manager and still was shown no gratitude from the company.
Pros
Bonuses for sales, constant available training, easily move up
Cons
Bad management in banking centers, lower pay than other banks, unprofessional
My branch was great, others not so much
Vault Teller (Former Employee) –  Harlan, INAugust 14, 2018
I loved working at my branch. It was wonderful! Our managers worked hard to keep our customers happy. I worked in a busy branch where I had many jobs to get done throughout the week as well as customers. My coworkers were always willing to help if I needed to farm out some of my simpler tasks. Whenever we needed to outsource help from other branches or corporate, it was normally a long process and often included misinformation. Several of my coworkers as well as myself resubmitted work because we were told the wrong form/process. Customer service caused more problems than they resolved. Constantly heard complaints about other branches being rude or not caring for customers. Corporate wouldn't inform us of new marketing material before it was sent out so we were often caught of guard by new promotions with limited information. Management and communication could be better.
Good place to work and good Growth opportunity.
Assistant Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Ft. Wayne, INAugust 6, 2018
Good place to work and good Growth opportunity. Working here has been a great place to step into the banking world and grow. There seems to be opportunity to move up if desired.
Good team environment, heavy sales focus
Teller (Former Employee) –  Liberty, INMay 24, 2018
The workplace is fine-I never experienced friction with co-workers. The hours are what one would expect, the pay is competitive, the benefits are pretty good, but if one is not suited for a sales-heavy environment, think hard before applying. This bank, like most other commercial banks, is heavily focused on customer retention by number of products, with monthly sales goals to meet for tellers and CSRs alike. It can feel overwhelming at times.

In summary, if you can sell, it's a good place to work. If not, there might be other places you're better suited.
Pros
Good employee attitudes and teamwork
Cons
Occasionally overwhelming sales pressure
Great place for someone to start out a career in banking
Personal Banker (Former Employee) –  Cicero, INMay 15, 2018
FMB is a great place for inexperienced individuals to start their career in banking. There is a great opportunity for advancement, but it is not a place you want a life long career.
Pros
Great paid time off, advancement, training
Cons
Low pay, terrible management, unfair incentive plans
Managers and Co-workers were family
Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 7, 2018
On a typical day after we got bought out by FMB we lost a lot of customers so the days were slow. I have been in my field of business for over 7 years and loved what I did and helping customers with their financial needs.
Busy
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  IndianaApril 23, 2018
Busy and challenging. Rewarding when able to help customers.
Felt like I new my duties and strived to do my best. Enjoyed the customer contact and learning new things within the industry.
Poor place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Muncie, INMarch 22, 2018
Poor management, unreasonable expectations, they don't treat their customers or their employees well. No room for advancement, and it's just sickening that these managers are the kind of people we report to. What a joke. The sooner I'm out of here, the better. Do not work for this company.
Pros
Cons
management
Good
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 15, 2018
First Merchants like any other company strives for excellence and works hard to gain and retain their customers. I feel that some of the leadership and communication is lacking when it comes to the Ohio region for a company based in Indiana. New Leaders are stepping in though so things could be changing soon.
Stressful and Unfriendly
Bank Teller (Former Employee) –  Munster, INMarch 14, 2018
The company just cares about the bottom line and not the employees or the clients. Forces unnecessary products on clients and has fees for everything.
Pros
I made wonderful friends with a few co-workers
Cons
Uncaring, pushy and cut-throat culture
Awful environment
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Daleville, INMarch 6, 2018
Unprofessional manager, Harassed by female coworkers, very jealous women making up lies. Supervisor new about it, and wouldn't do anything. I've never experienced anything like that at a job.
Pros
no pros
Cons
everything about merchants data center
Don't work there or bank there!!!
Training only (Former Employee) –  Call center in DalevilleMarch 5, 2018
Horrible trainer, made fun of employees and customers. Computers were junk, could not complete training tasks without computer. I walked out. Not wasting my time. Plan to take my money out of First Merchants into a bank that treats all well.
Pros
Zero
Cons
Junk computers and trainer
nice setting and group of people to work with. easy going and reliable
Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Morgantown, INFebruary 28, 2018
i enjoy the company i work for. You have access to ask questions and get answers in a timely manor. I learned that communication is a large part of life no matter what field you are in.
Fun workplace to work in
Bank Teller (Former Employee) –  Peru, INFebruary 27, 2018
I really enjoyed the business environment. I felt like the office, business job world fit me greatly. I love being able to dress up. I loved being able to meet new people and help them with there banking.
Good place to work.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Daleville, INFebruary 1, 2018
You never have to worry about your hours getting cut. You get 40 hours every single week. The benfites are great dental, vision, short and long term leave, and paid holidays.
Pros
40 hours a week, health care benefits, 401K
Cons
Not a lot of room to move up in customer service
Benefits and pay are good but
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INJanuary 22, 2018
Management is not good at First Merchants Bank. Management has had multiple HR complaints against them and nothing has happened to them. Management does not care to help you advance or better yourself.
Bank
Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Munster, INJanuary 18, 2018
Its a good bank with sometimes questionable management. But everyone is very friendly. Good work environment, a good focus on selling. Customer service depends on who you get.
A bank that cares about the welfare of their employees.
Learning Development & Performance Specialist (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 8, 2018
I enjoy the culture at First Merchants Bank, it is a $9 Billion company with 120 banking centers; small enough to know so many fellow employees and large enough to offer the products and services of a larger financial institution.
No Comment
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INJanuary 6, 2018
Stressful environment. Not enough hours in the day to complete what they expect of the employees. Love my co-workers, dislike the company and all it stands for.
Coworkers were great!
Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Noblesville, INJanuary 4, 2018
If you're lucky like me, you'll get some of the best coworkers ever, people who you'll talk to even after you leave. Management on the other hand is terrible. They will practically tell you that they don't care about your work life balance in the same breath while telling you all about the time they get off.
There is no room for moving up, like they'll so often claim, and even if there is a chance for you to move up they will somehow find a way to keep you where you are at. The some how never seem to have enough staff, meaning that you "occasionally" (i.e several times a week) won't be able to take a full lunch or be able to even leave the branch.
All in all there are a lot of promises made by first merchants bank and very few are ever kept

Ask a question about working or interviewing at First Merchants Bank. Our community is ready to answer.