First Pacific Corporation Employee Reviews

Provider Relations Rep
Provider Relations Representative (Former Employee) –  Southern CAMarch 11, 2019
Family owned company that feel that they know everything about a dental office when no one in management has ever worked in or for a dental office. Many good employees come with experience that isn't appreciated. Long hours, low pay for the area in which you live.
Pros
Insurance Benefits
Cons
High Stress environment, unrealistic expectations
Used to be Great
Insurance Provider Relations Manager (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORFebruary 24, 2019
FPC used to be a wonderful company to work for. There are many smart and hard working employees that give their all to help the success of the company. It depends what department you work in whether this is a good place to work. I had an absolutely wonderful boss that trusted me, worked collaboratively and communicated needs in a supportive and friendly way. He did not micromanage. There are some managers that treat the employees very badly. The culture has changed significantly.

I am very grateful for the experience I had working there. But if you get into the wrong department, your experience will be pretty bad. Some managers have real anger problems and are very unprofessional. There are many employees overworked and the pressure is high to perform with lack of resources. I feel strongly when employees feel they are trusted and given positive feedback, they will excel. This is not the case with some of the executives. There are a few gems, but there are a couple that are destroying the good environment FPC once had. They are driving away some of the best talent in the company. There is a very high turn over.

Many employees in the company are fearful, overworked, and stressed out. Employees that show confidence or want to share ideas are no longer supported. This is NOT a collaborative supportive team anymore. The environment is very authoritarian. The current culture is one of confusion and fear. This is sad since it used to be a wonderful company and I really did love my work.
Pros
flexible work schedule
Cons
threatening and fearful work environment
i don't want to write anything
Data Processing (Current Employee) –  Salem, ORNovember 17, 2018
stressful, unfair, not understanding of what we do to pay us so little, higher up are caring and I need to find a different job. love the location, but the pay and people are horrible. Higher up people. there is a lot of negativity there, but it is understandable.
Pros
close to home
Cons
pay is horrible and disrespectful
Enjoyable place to work
Systems Administrator (Former Employee) –  Salem, OR 97306January 25, 2018
Enjoyable place to work, No pay increase for years, I miss the staff ( All friends there) Been through a number of CEO's over time. good workplace to work
Pros
fun ince staff
Cons
no pay increase for years
My summary of First Pacific Corporation
Senior Marketing Executive (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 24, 2017
First Pacific was a really good company to work for overall. The staff is very friendly and professional. They truly support you on all fronts. I don't know too many companies that provide you with a company car, an expense account for both auto and personal use. They really support the local dentist as well and give you the tools to succeed. They pay you well and give you adequate leads with which to work.

It's a tough sell however for most dentists and not an easy sale to explain to the clients. The management isn't always patient of as supportive as they should be. You're working from home, isolated from direct support, so coming from outside the industry can make it very challenging, particularly in the beginning.
Pros
Work from home, minimal travel, company car, covered expenses, corporate card, flexible schedule
Cons
Very critical boss, tough product to sell, frewuent trade shows to attend, a very technical and difficult sales vocabulary to sell and explain, a lot of driving to remote locations at times
First Pacific helped dental offices focus on caring for their patients.
Account Representative (Former Employee) –  OregonFebruary 23, 2015
I would visit offices to check on their production reports and collections. If any computer issues that needed to be repaired, or replaced. I learned how to read reports to improve the dental office and to work with different areas of a dental office. I enjoyed working with everyone I meet. All were very helpful with any question or concern that I had. As I did the same. The hardest part of the job was the traveling and being away from my family.
Pros
Learning a different area of a dental office. Visiting other offices, solving problems
Cons
Traveling, long days
Would not recommend
Data Processor (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORNovember 10, 2014
FPC has a "zero-tolerance" absence policy which states that, unless you're dying of cancer, any absence is an "unexcused absence." They advertise their benefits as including "80 hours of sick time and 40 hours of vacation time" in the first two years, then gradually increase that benefit time each year.

What they don't tell you is they'll fire you for using that time.

Using a convoluted understanding of FMLA, FPC has chosen that all benefit time is meant solely for FMLA purposes only. Paid and unpaid absences are always "unexcused absences," and there is no differential between partial and full missed days. Absences are unexcused even if the employee makes up the time in that week.

It's not uncommon for management to have 150+ hours of sick time and vacation time racked up, but they're threatened with termination for using it.

(The weirdest thing: after being at FPC for three or more years, your vacation time will increase to 80+ hours per year. No matter how high your vacation benefit increases, though, only 40 hours of it will carry over to the next year. But they'll fire you for using any of your vacation time.)

FPC also employs a bizarre salary/hourly payment method for traditionally hourly positions (such as data entry or CSRs). They calculate salary on a 12-month, semimonthly payment plan, pay the employee based on the resulting salary, then go back and "augment" those hours using an hourly method. The result: they take a lot of money out of your subsequent paycheck for "missed time," and it takes over two weeks for any overtime to get reimbursed.

This
  more... is the clearest explanation of the payment schedule you'll receive, as even the payroll specialist confused herself while trying to explain it.

The workplace was aggressive, hostile, and unforgiving. Management is absent or distantly-removed from their employees, and employees spend much of their time not getting anything done. Attendance is prized over work ethics, there is little room for advancement.

FPC ignored complaints about a particularly hostile employee (those complaints arose after she grabbed me for not clicking in the right field during my first week, actually leaving red marks all over my arms). They don't settle disputes, discomfort, and they tolerate hostile employees so long as they keep showing up for work.

So if you happen to become the target of a bully with a great attendance rate, there's absolutely nothing that's going to be done about any abuse thrown your way.

All in all, FPC is an archaic company with a vague understanding of FMLA and payroll expectations, such that it feels forced into the 21st century with all the grace and understanding of your great-grandparents.

I wouldn't recommend this company to my worst enemy.
A family business
Data Entry Specialist (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORJuly 1, 2014
I would suggest this company to anyone looking to work for this company. I was very happy there, had to move closer to grand kids to help single dad in the army. This company takes good care of there employees.
I had the great opportunity of working with this wonderful company for just over two years.
Marketing Representative (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORDecember 16, 2013
I was so blessed to work for this company for just over two years. My co-workers were so supportive and we all felt lucky to work for such a wonderful family. Special consideration was shown to me when my child became ill and I was forced to miss more work than I was entitled to. Not once was I made to feel bad, in fact, I was given my pay long past the time I was supposed to. The owners didn't want me to feel any more stress than I was already feeling because of my sick daughter. There were many opportunities to grow. Because it's a relatively small company I was able to try on different hats and been able to develop a variety of skills that I've been able to use in my current job. Management was always open to feedback and the president had an open door policy. I made many good friends at FPC that I keep in contact with to this day. Many of the people who work there have been there for decades which says a lot about the business.
Pros
Working for a family business allowed for employees to be treated as individuals.
Cons
Not one I can think of.