First Place for Youth

First Place for Youth Employee Reviews

Review Employment Contract and make sure it fits your professional goals. Ask questions about the My First Place Program and your responsibilites to meet monthly and quarterly work plan goals.
Repeat of the above. The entire vision of the agency has deteriorated far away from its original purpose. Low staff morale and overall an unhealthy environment
Pros
None under the current management
Cons
Current management
This nonprofit is a fraud. I was responsible for the bulk of the organization's transition to a virtual atmosphere and was given nearly no credit. I felt exploited, overworked and zero sympathy for the chaotic home environment they decidedly threw me into. I would classify this nonprofit as proliferators of literal torture. I hope they can learn to respect, honor and cherish their talent rather than terrorize them.
Pros
Nothing;
Cons
Mostly weak-willed people who have no purpose work here
Good work life balance. Take the time to balance out the work with clients and managing time. Working with community partners to meet the needs of the clients and program expectations.
first place for you was great overall staff were very friendly and understanding, work wasn't too hard nor too easy hours were very flexible overall it was great
Would you rate your company five stars?
Rate your employer to help people make better career decisions.
It was a joy to work there. Got to assist a lot of young adults on looking for jobs or enrolling in school. A very diverse team and youth that participate in the organization.
Fun workplace and comfy work energy and i loved the environment i loved this job anf my clients my co-workers were awesome and i fit right in with my facility
Pros
Free lunch, and paid vacation
Cons
Short breaks and most clients
This agency is focused entirely on outcomes and does not train staff to assist the clients towards their goals. High turnover. Strong favoritism of staff who do unethical things.
Pros
The clients.
Cons
Poor Management. Education and Employment Specialists have none to little support. HR is not helpful. Career advancements are difficult and pay raises barely exist. Not only are you exposed to other people's trauma, but the environment itself is toxic and not youth friendly. Power dynamics truly exists, especially racial imbalances.
Pros
can work outside the office at times
Cons
poor management and toxic work environment
I was on a temp position via Social Services Staffing agency and had some problems with the staffing company and my status becoming more permanent with First Place; I was transferred form housing to a drop-in center so my position was unique. Not sure how it would be to be a regular employee. TAY population can be difficult yet rewarding; wages are low and sometimes lack of support in the field. More mature employees are easier to work with.
I do not want to write a review. I would rather not write anything that would prohibit them from recieving assitance. Their cause is a much needed caues and by writing any review that is not positive, I feel it will affect the youth they work with.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
Administrative tasks
Great company, great opportunities. Needs help in the management department. Leadership doesn't communicate with staff in an effective manner. Youth can tend to run company when certain situations arise. Staff are often left to figure out situations on their own.
Pros
Flexible schedules, time off is always approved
Cons
Lack of communication, leadership focuses of numbers instead of actual production
Awesome staff, management, and team members. Cost of living in area and lack of career advancement can look as disadvantages to most. Collaborative environment creates sense of comradery.
A typical day at First Place for Youth is very energetic its a great work environment and makes you look forward to another day at work. I love the staff.
I learned its a good thing to organized and ready for work. I worked behind a desk and greeted my coworkers/youth as they came in. The job there was pretty slow but I learned a lot from the people and the environment I was in.
Pros
Smiles, laughs, and great talks.
Cons
Short to no hours was giving
FPFY is a great organization with the vision to help foster youth achieve success independently. The people they hire as always enthusiastic about their work.
Pros
great environment
Cons
Our Solano Office felt short staffed
the most enjoyable part of the job was helping the youth and ensuring they became successful adults. a typical day at work was learning something new from the youth
Great place to work .Compensation is low.Managers are good and participativeFlexibility at work is the best part.People are friendly and fun.Ok benefits
Don't work here!. All management cares about is numbers. They don't look out for what's in the best interests of the youth. Expectations of staff are unrealistic and you will be burned out in just a few months. Also, the turnover rate is high which just adds to the already negative moral. It feels like a sales job!
Pros
most of the youth are great
Cons
high turnover and burnout among staff, uncaring management Y
Very fast paced environment, semi cut throat, lack of communication was essential in the work environment. not a place for objective criticism. not a place for innovative ideas
Pros
great benefit package
Cons
no innovation
I loved working at FPFY. I will miss the easygoing/friendly yet hardworking people. The work I did was good yet challenging at times but I received constructive feedback that will benefit me as I go on to my next job. The mission of First Place is so important, and I'm so thankful I got to be a part of such an amazing nonprofit. The commute was a a great bonus as the Oakland office is right off bart.
Pros
Great people, great location, friendly environment
Cons
some office politics