First Place for Youth

First Place for Youth Employee Reviews

Cares about their served communities
I was on a temp position via Social Services Staffing agency and had some problems with the staffing company and my status becoming more permanent with First Place; I was transferred form housing to a drop-in center so my position was unique. Not sure how it would be to be a regular employee. TAY population can be difficult yet rewarding; wages are low and sometimes lack of support in the field. More mature employees are easier to work with.
productive work place with great enviroment
first place for you was great overall staff were very friendly and understanding, work wasn't too hard nor too easy hours were very flexible overall it was great
Very nice company.
It was a joy to work there. Got to assist a lot of young adults on looking for jobs or enrolling in school. A very diverse team and youth that participate in the organization.
Fun and comfortable.
Fun workplace and comfy work energy and i loved the environment i loved this job anf my clients my co-workers were awesome and i fit right in with my facility
Pros
Free lunch, and paid vacation
Cons
Short breaks and most clients
Poor management focused on outcomes and data, not clients or staff.
This agency is focused entirely on outcomes and does not train staff to assist the clients towards their goals. High turnover. Strong favoritism of staff who do unethical things.
Pros
The clients.
Poor Management and Toxic Working Conditions
Poor Management. Education and Employment Specialists have none to little support. HR is not helpful. Career advancements are difficult and pay raises barely exist. Not only are you exposed to other people's trauma, but the environment itself is toxic and not youth friendly. Power dynamics truly exists, especially racial imbalances.
Pros
can work outside the office at times
Cons
poor management and toxic work environment
The Youth need this program.
I do not want to write a review. I would rather not write anything that would prohibit them from recieving assitance. Their cause is a much needed caues and by writing any review that is not positive, I feel it will affect the youth they work with.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
Administrative tasks
Great company, needs help with management
Great company, great opportunities. Needs help in the management department. Leadership doesn't communicate with staff in an effective manner. Youth can tend to run company when certain situations arise. Staff are often left to figure out situations on their own.
Pros
Flexible schedules, time off is always approved
Cons
Lack of communication, leadership focuses of numbers instead of actual production
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at First Place for Youth?
Staff and Team members
Awesome staff, management, and team members. Cost of living in area and lack of career advancement can look as disadvantages to most. Collaborative environment creates sense of comradery.
Productive and fun
A typical day at First Place for Youth is very energetic its a great work environment and makes you look forward to another day at work. I love the staff.
Great people and a good work space.
I learned its a good thing to organized and ready for work. I worked behind a desk and greeted my coworkers/youth as they came in. The job there was pretty slow but I learned a lot from the people and the environment I was in.
Pros
Smiles, laughs, and great talks.
Cons
Short to no hours was giving
ILSP Specialist
FPFY is a great organization with the vision to help foster youth achieve success independently. The people they hire as always enthusiastic about their work.
Pros
great environment
Cons
Our Solano Office felt short staffed
the most enjoyable part of the job was helping the youth and ensuring they became successful adults. a typical day at work was learning something new from the youth
Great culture
Great place to work .Compensation is low.Managers are good and participativeFlexibility at work is the best part.People are friendly and fun.Ok benefits
total burn out job with extremely high turnover.
Don't work here!. All management cares about is numbers. They don't look out for what's in the best interests of the youth. Expectations of staff are unrealistic and you will be burned out in just a few months. Also, the turnover rate is high which just adds to the already negative moral. It feels like a sales job!
Pros
most of the youth are great
Cons
high turnover and burnout among staff, uncaring management Y
Housing for Special folks
Very fast paced environment, semi cut throat, lack of communication was essential in the work environment. not a place for objective criticism. not a place for innovative ideas
Pros
great benefit package
Cons
no innovation
Great place to work!
I loved working at FPFY. I will miss the easygoing/friendly yet hardworking people. The work I did was good yet challenging at times but I received constructive feedback that will benefit me as I go on to my next job.
The mission of First Place is so important, and I'm so thankful I got to be a part of such an amazing nonprofit.

The commute was a a great bonus as the Oakland office is right off bart.
Pros
Great people, great location, friendly environment
Cons
some office politics
Great work enviornment with passionate and hardworking staff
This was a great place to start out at! I was lucky enough to get a job at first place out of college and it has been a great experience so far. The work environment is pleasant and laid back and the staff are all very hardworking.

Flexible hours and generous time off.
Pros
commute, free food, good work enviornment
Out of touch leadership team
The organization has a great mission, however the executive leadership team is out of touch and disconnected with the program staff, making decisions that directly affect the ability of program staff to be effective and serve the community at a high level. There are great people working at First Place but I have concerns about the organizational direction. There is also a significant amount of staff consistent turn over.
Cons
Outdated systems and processes
Enjoy many staff members and most people are passionate about the mission/work
There isn't really a typical day at work, your environment is constantly evolving. I have learned to be extremely flexible. Senior Management is extremely removed from the work of line staff for whom they make impacting decisions daily. Co-workers here are a very passionate group of folks, who love youth and truly believe in the mission. The hardest part of the job is the constant turn over and maintaining data demands. The most rewarding part of the job is helping youth to develop into productive adults, that are able to effectively Case Manage their own lives and affairs.
Pros
Line Staff
Toxic Environment With the World's Worst Management
I have been in the workforce force for many years and have never worked in such a toxic environment. If you are strong, an independent thinker who stands up for what is right, do not work here. The Executive team is uncaring, unrealistic, and their only focus is on earning money for foster youth. The turnover is outrageous which speaks volumes. Keep looking.
Pros
The young people served
Cons
Management, salaries for the one's doing the real work.