First Solar, Inc. Employee Reviews

hard work but good pay
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMarch 5, 2019
hard work pays well long hours coming and going to jobsite lack of manager skills but a good experience and you are treated well if you get hurt you are treated right away
Pros
good pay
Fun Place to work
Program Manager II | IT (Former Employee) –  Perrysburg, OHFebruary 18, 2019
Well organized and fun place to work. Good leadership. Structured and process driven. work life balance. work culture is open. good benefits and onsite work out facilities.
Always Exciting, Dynamic Environment
Director, Corporate Communications (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZFebruary 14, 2019
Working on the leading edge of renewable energy technology, I've been able to contribute at a global level to energy resource security, address global warming/climate change. I've been with First Solar through one of the most dynamic transition periods in the modern renewable energy industry.
Pros
making the world a better place
Cons
challenging global industry - lots of change/shifts in direction
Headed Global Quality
Manager, Global EPC Quality (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 7, 2019
It was a challenging job dealing with field issues from many continents and building the team and system to address them. Working long and odd hours was normal which became unsustainable. But it was rewarding to work with the best team in the industry.
Demanding environment but rewarding
Finance (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZJanuary 16, 2019
If you like change and challenge this is the place. Culture is all about making things happen, leading change, and adapting to a very dynamic market.

If you expect a specific career path and guidance to the next step, this is not the place for you. You have to make it happen. Search for the opportunities and take advantage of the ever changing organization.

Leadership is great, maybe the best I've ever worked with.... but the solar industry is a very dynamic world so management has to react to this day in and day out.... just be aware of that.
Great job
Labor Worker (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 2, 2019
First solar /sec/qlm I love work doing solar project Im still young I really thing it the best thing to happen really but what I do doing solar is not hard u just gotta have a brain.
Good Place for an internship emphasis on individual growth
Summer Intern (Former Employee) –  Perrysburg, OHDecember 18, 2018
A typical day in First Solar's CLIP sector worked with testing and samples of the panels used on the production floor. As a college intern, the upper management emphasizes individual projects and networking for future endors and getting entry level experience for college students.
Very difficult to work for do to Toxic work enviroment
Reliability engineering technician (Former Employee) –  Perrysburg, OHDecember 2, 2018
The job I performed for 8 years included testing and utilising equipment to determine product reliability. I found tah management lacked direction and the ability to organise their employees. Because of this it made for a very toxic work environment.
Pros
Flex time in my department
Cons
Toxic work environment, No communication from the management to the employees
First Solar is a great place to grow for recent graduates
Research and Development Engineer II (Current Employee) –  Perrysburg, OHOctober 30, 2018
My experience at First Solar working in development engineering has been largely positive as far as my personal and professional development is concerned. It is a great place to start your career as they offer many opportunities to grow in your position and develop as a young engineer. If you prove yourself you will be given the opportunity to have more responsibility and have an increased impact on the organization through promotion. However, the promotions at First Solar come with modestly disappointing pay raises. In general, First Solar does not pay very well for a technology company and your promotions come with a small percentage increase based on an already low pay scale. After you have had multiple promotions you will often find yourself making thousands to tens of thousands of dollars less than a comparable position at another company in the current job market. This is why I would recommend First Solar as a good stepping stone for recent graduates to hone their abilities for a few years and then make the jump to another company to build up your net worth.
Pros
Use of flextime is encouraged
Cons
Salary is not competitive with other employers
Fun workplace
Manufacturing Operator I (Current Employee) –  Perrysburg, OHOctober 28, 2018
I love working here gave me some experience to move forward for other jobs and opportunities. They make sure that they give there employees good health care.
Pros
Paid lunches
Cons
Total all together 1 hr break for working 12hr
Fast pace and challanging
Reliability Lab Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Perrysburg, OHOctober 10, 2018
First Solar always has good challenges and gives the employee a sense of direct impact based on their contribution. The technology and management system is a proven success. The benefits are not as good as they used to be and seem to be becoming noncompetitive, from a health care standpoint.
Clean, customer satisfaction oriented company
Master Manufacturing Associate (Former Employee) –  Perrysburg, OHOctober 7, 2018
Informed each day of production issues, always accepted in house applications for advancement prior to looking for outside help.
You had to opportunity to learn new things all the time.
Company meetings to keep employees informed of ongoing growth and expectations.
The Best and the Brightest
Human Resource Generalist III (Current Employee) –  Perrysburg, OHSeptember 9, 2018
I appreciate and value the diversity and inclusive work environment. I also value the focus on the environment. I enjoy my team and the culture makes coming to work each day fun and challenging.
Pros
free workout center, great cafeteria, climate controlled, state of the art, knowledge center
First Solar is a good company to work for.
Site Designer (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZSeptember 3, 2018
First Solar is a good company to work for. I was on a contract to perm basis for 3 months which got extended to 6 months. I was hoping to get on staff there but due to my own misunderstanding on how First Solar transitions contract employees into staff.It was different than other places I have worked.
Pros
It is a nice place to work.
Cons
My commute was long. But I was only on contract. No change of residence made.
ever changing company.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZAugust 2, 2018
Executive Leadership works well together; however, departmental managers are silo'd in their execution which make collaboration on projects difficult.
Work History at First Solar
Indirect/Direct Global Commodity Manager (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZJuly 25, 2018
A typical day at work, you were assigned to your SOW and no one was looking over your shoulder. You knew what tasks needed to be done to meet your deadlines and you did it.

I learned a lot about renewable energy power plants.

Each manager has their own management style therefore you adjusted to management styles that was applicable to your SOW.

The culture promoted cross-functional collaboration but never quite reached that goal.

The hardest part of the job is based on individual perception. I enjoyed what I did. Therefore it was fun.

I loved travel and interacted with hotel sales managers, airline account managers, travel management company etc. In addition I got to see parts of Europe and Asia that I would not have the opportunity other wise.

Also meeting the most amazing people at other company locations i.e. Germany, Malaysia, Vietnam (suppliers as well as Associates) etc.
Pros
Dress Code: Business Casual
Cons
Sometimes managers are not thoroughly honest and retract certain statements.
Great Place to Work, Wished THere Were More Opportunities
HR Generalist (Former Employee) –  ArizonaJune 26, 2018
I learned a great deal while at First Solar. However, there was not a lot of opportunities for advancement, therefore I had to seek other employment.
Pros
Great Co-Workers, Talented Individuals, Parking Garage
Cons
Need more career mentorship
very good co workers very helpful
APPRENTICE SOLAR TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Taft, CAJune 21, 2018
typical work day show up at 6 am check all gates open all gates then as crew arrived have saftey meeting .. what i learned was operations.of solar pannle systems. work place culture was a very strong and soild one we worked as a team
Pros
hours of daily operations
Cons
traviling long hours
Productive and very fun environment.
Engineering Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAJune 16, 2018
Good work experience. Engineers and Technicians was very understanding and very helpful all throughout my working experience. It was also a fun learning experience.
The most enjoyable part of the job
Office Manager & Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bridgewater, NJJune 1, 2018
I enjoyed being able to help the community through social corporate responsibilities. We held fundraisers, clothing drives, and school supply drives for other countries.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at First Solar, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.2InHerSight Score

3.2Personal Development

3.1Career Opportunities

3.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight