First Solar, Inc. Employee Reviews

Very difficult to work for do to Toxic work enviroment
Reliability engineering technician (Former Employee) –  Perrysburg, OHDecember 2, 2018
The job I performed for 8 years included testing and utilising equipment to determine product reliability. I found tah management lacked direction and the ability to organise their employees. Because of this it made for a very toxic work environment.
Pros
Flex time in my department
Cons
Toxic work environment, No communication from the management to the employees
Fun workplace
Manufacturing Operator I (Current Employee) –  Perrysburg, OHOctober 28, 2018
I love working here gave me some experience to move forward for other jobs and opportunities. They make sure that they give there employees good health care.
Pros
Paid lunches
Cons
Total all together 1 hr break for working 12hr
Fast pace and challanging
Reliability Lab Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Perrysburg, OHOctober 10, 2018
First Solar always has good challenges and gives the employee a sense of direct impact based on their contribution. The technology and management system is a proven success. The benefits are not as good as they used to be and seem to be becoming noncompetitive, from a health care standpoint.
Clean, customer satisfaction oriented company
Master Manufacturing Associate (Former Employee) –  Perrysburg, OHOctober 7, 2018
Informed each day of production issues, always accepted in house applications for advancement prior to looking for outside help.
You had to opportunity to learn new things all the time.
Company meetings to keep employees informed of ongoing growth and expectations.
The Best and the Brightest
Human Resource Generalist III (Current Employee) –  Perrysburg, OHSeptember 9, 2018
I appreciate and value the diversity and inclusive work environment. I also value the focus on the environment. I enjoy my team and the culture makes coming to work each day fun and challenging.
Pros
free workout center, great cafeteria, climate controlled, state of the art, knowledge center
First Solar is a good company to work for.
Site Designer (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZSeptember 3, 2018
First Solar is a good company to work for. I was on a contract to perm basis for 3 months which got extended to 6 months. I was hoping to get on staff there but due to my own misunderstanding on how First Solar transitions contract employees into staff.It was different than other places I have worked.
Pros
It is a nice place to work.
Cons
My commute was long. But I was only on contract. No change of residence made.
ever changing company.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZAugust 2, 2018
Executive Leadership works well together; however, departmental managers are silo'd in their execution which make collaboration on projects difficult.
Work History at First Solar
Indirect/Direct Global Commodity Manager (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZJuly 25, 2018
A typical day at work, you were assigned to your SOW and no one was looking over your shoulder. You knew what tasks needed to be done to meet your deadlines and you did it.

I learned a lot about renewable energy power plants.

Each manager has their own management style therefore you adjusted to management styles that was applicable to your SOW.

The culture promoted cross-functional collaboration but never quite reached that goal.

The hardest part of the job is based on individual perception. I enjoyed what I did. Therefore it was fun.

I loved travel and interacted with hotel sales managers, airline account managers, travel management company etc. In addition I got to see parts of Europe and Asia that I would not have the opportunity other wise.

Also meeting the most amazing people at other company locations i.e. Germany, Malaysia, Vietnam (suppliers as well as Associates) etc.
Pros
Dress Code: Business Casual
Cons
Sometimes managers are not thoroughly honest and retract certain statements.
Great Place to Work, Wished THere Were More Opportunities
HR Generalist (Former Employee) –  ArizonaJune 26, 2018
I learned a great deal while at First Solar. However, there was not a lot of opportunities for advancement, therefore I had to seek other employment.
Pros
Great Co-Workers, Talented Individuals, Parking Garage
Cons
Need more career mentorship
very good co workers very helpful
APPRENTICE SOLAR TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Taft, CAJune 21, 2018
typical work day show up at 6 am check all gates open all gates then as crew arrived have saftey meeting .. what i learned was operations.of solar pannle systems. work place culture was a very strong and soild one we worked as a team
Pros
hours of daily operations
Cons
traviling long hours
Productive and very fun environment.
Engineering Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAJune 16, 2018
Good work experience. Engineers and Technicians was very understanding and very helpful all throughout my working experience. It was also a fun learning experience.
The most enjoyable part of the job
Office Manager & Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bridgewater, NJJune 1, 2018
I enjoyed being able to help the community through social corporate responsibilities. We held fundraisers, clothing drives, and school supply drives for other countries.
Lack of work
Coater Technician and Certified Safety Team Member (Former Employee) –  Perrysburg, OHMay 30, 2018
Slowed down and laid off employees than hired temps at a lower wage to replace them. I feel first solar could have gone about that in a totally different way.
Pros
food
Cons
lack of work
Very good work place
Materials Inspector (Current Employee) –  Perrysburg, OHMay 24, 2018
First Solar promotes personal growth and development of all employees. They do offer tuition reimbursment and advise employees to pursue education to have the ability to advance within the company.
Great company to Work for.
Senior Electrical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZMay 22, 2018
This was a great company to work for. The renewables area is in a growing phase and First Solar is the place to be if you’re into renewables. Renewables are still in a volatile phase, with companies beginning and exiting due to either politics or massive competition from overseas. FS has held on and I believe it will continue to succeed.
Dynamic place to work
Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 16, 2018
Great opportunities to learn about the Solar industry and Project Development.

Company is completely remote, meaning there is a lot of people across the globe.
Disappointing senior management
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZApril 15, 2018
When I started 7 years ago, this company was completely different. They advocated for the employee: good pay, great bonus/incentives, employee advancement and clear direction. Forward to today and this vision no longer exists. Like most companies politics plays a huge role over who will be promoted and who will be made a scapegoat. Very disappointed after giving them 7 years of hard work.
nice people, great communcation
Inspector (Former Employee) –  Perrysburg, OHApril 12, 2018
nice place to work , fun environment, long worthy hours , nice managers nice crew. easy to catch on . Very clean areas . i loved my partner who i was assigned to work with.
Great place to work.
Reliability Technician II/Manufacturing Associate (Former Employee) –  Perrysburg, OHApril 12, 2018
First Solar is a great place to work. Everyone is on a first name basis. There is an open door policy in place so you can bring any concern you may have to anyone of the persons in upper management.
Fs
N/A (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZApril 6, 2018
First Solar is always changing, the culture is very fast paced, but it is not necessarily equally distributed work. Management training is non-existent. Current leadership is top notch, but what they bring to the organization doesn't flow past VP level in the way of people management. Many ups and many downs over the last decade working for FS. The value on work life balance is definitely lip service and like any company certain politics exist and can run you over it you are not careful.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at First Solar, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

3.2InHerSight Score

3.4Personal Development

2.9Career Opportunities

3.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight