First Step

First Step Employee Reviews

United States39 reviews
Productive and Friendly environment
I enjoy working with people. The culture is very diverse. and it is a place where people have come to achieve their goals. There are several opportunities that comes from working there.
Great work place
Would work here again
Very productive work environment

Fair pay

Great management, very understanding of work/life balance

Left work due to moving to Boston
productive and fun place to work / fast paced atmosphere
very productive and big on continuing education. very flexible and very structured. weekly meetings and very little time to socialize. the managers are down to earth.
Great learning experience for recovered alcoholics early in their careers.
First Step was an educational and FUN place to work at! I'm grateful for the opportunity to work there. Transporting the clients to 12-step meetings was very rewarding!
fun workplace
learned some new skills there. hardest part is being around other co workers. on a good day you can meet someone nice & cool. ok management but they got there picks.
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
friendly and productive work place
The most enjoyable part of First Step is the children.
A typical day at work was maintaining the safety of the children education and the staff.

My management consisted of the ratio,attendance,greeting parents and children,staying in compliance with the State.
benefits
Could be productive but not a lot of funding
Individuals dont have much activities to do and they get board easily with what we do have for them. Individuals will have a snack when they first arrived. Then their put in groups of 3 with a staff and is directed to a skilled room. (Career room, music room, gym,....etc. then it would be time for lunch after being in your skilled room for almost 2hrs. We give them lunch after lunch some are prepared to go home. Depending on the individuals you have in between your activities you might need to change one of them.
Pros
Community outings
Cons
No breaks
First Step was ok
First Step was a great place to work. They had completive pay and there was plenty of work in the peer support field. The employees were great coworkers.
Work was easy but there was a struggle to get good jobs through first step.
I always had a job with First Step. They provide me the work I needed to maintain my household. There was times that I was not given work but I continued to search for opportunity with the company and eventually found work. I unfortunately could not find a good permanent job and left the company to get work.
Pros
Paid weekly and transportation was provided to jobs.
Cons
Work that was offered was short at time.
Productive and positive work enviornment
-Fast Paced Crisis intervention
-Rewarding Work by helping trauma survivors become self sufficient

-Case management for Domestic violence and Sexual Assault Survivors

-Always busy and never bored
Pros
Make your own schedule/ fun recreational activities for survivors
Cons
Only work 37.5 hours a week/Emotionally Draining
it is very productive
there is no hard part to this job the best part of this job is that we get paid at the end of the week and you go to different work sites we learn how to pack boxes
Case Worker
worked with clients who had dual diagnosis and mental behavorial disorders. supervised daily activities of clients, taught social and daily living skills.
Couldnt keep enough work
I believe it's great for people who like to move from job to job I need something more permanent especially since I am a single lady responsible for my own bills
Enjoyed meeting people.
I had various tasks ranging from office work to answering the domestic violence hotline. I also helped to welcome families to the shelter and acclimate them to the new environment.
Productive and fun workplace
I enjoy working here and with my colleagues.i have been here over two years and have learned so much in the field of addiction. I would recommend this agency to anyone.
Pros
Environment
Good place
Loving children ,love reading time , love out time time staff listen to you when you have a problem . Just not enough hours . sometimes it good and bad
great working place
learned a lot about business and how to make people happy about there broken lives,it gives people hope,in there every day life so i became a better person also
Dont like thier pace
They are rough on workers they rush a 4 man job on one worker then the percentage you make from main job is unacceptable I am looking for a nice smooth ride
Unsupportive of Staff
Although I loved my job, there is very poor and unorganized management. They lack empathy and understanding for their employees. You better always be able to be on 100% without any flaws.
Pros
Decent Pay
Cons
no empathy for employees
no raises, good work, friendly co-workers
O.K. good working conditions but low pay, temp job no advancement, nice atmosphere kind co-workers and thoughtful supervisors, However, you are not required to work regularly and can work when you can.
Assisting young teenage girls
Working at First Step 4 consisted of being a role model and disciplinarian for young teenage girls, who were going through troubles in their life. Most of the girls were homeless, or had behavioral issues preventing them from having a normal life in the outside world. Some of the girls required daily meds that were dispensed by myself as well as other staff members, on a set and timed schedule. I was responsible for keeping the youth on a daily schedule, consisting of eating on time, having recreational time, and counseling sessions. The girls were rewarded for good behavior by allowing them to get passes to travel to their home on the weekend, or even going to their favorite places, restaurants, or shopping areas, etc. I learned to have patience, and understand that every girl and situation had to be handled differently. The hardest part of working at First Step 4, was having to be the disciplinarian and having to be very stern with the girls, but yet making them feel like they can talk to me and trust me. The most enjoyable part about working at First Step 4, was being that positive light and voice in those young girls life. They needed some positivity and love from a positive and open minded person.
Pros
Being a positive voice
Cons
The girls being defiant, and having to handle a negative situation.