First Step Employee Reviews

Fun and friendly environment
Developmental Treatment Instructor (Former Employee) –  Hamburg, ARMay 15, 2019
I worked for this company for 8 years and the work environment was very friendly. Everyone worked well with each other and the director was very friendly as well. The health insurance along with other policies were very reasonable and they also matched your 401K. Even tho there were a lot of good things about this company it also had its downfalls. When I first started working for this company we were given a raise, but after about 3 years they stopped giving us a raise.
Pros
Lunch break, paid time off, good environment
Cons
No raises, no spring break
It was a great place to work,
Adult Instructor (Former Employee) –  Malvern, ARMay 15, 2019
you would do roll make sure your clients were there for the day and start helping them with daily life skills, and do your daily paper work for each client to make sure they were complete their goals.
Not what they claim to be.
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Malvern, ARMay 11, 2019
First step claims to be helping children with disabilities and delays. Their mission statement sounds good, and I'm sure what they tell parents and new employees sounds like they are making the world a better place. However, once kids are there they are being placed into classrooms with far too many children. Some classes have almost 30 4/5 year olds in one room. The last thing a severely autistic child needs is to be placed in a room with that many kids. There is no way to work individually with a child so most of the daily objectives are not being worked on. There are many kids there that are not delayed. The testing is done in a way that makes it seem they are when they aren't so that first step doesn't lose funds from those kids. The instructors make minimum wage and have nothing more than some very basic"training". There are coordinators who are qualified to be teaching the classes over the rooms but they are not in the rooms most of the time. They have now placed a "lead instructor" over each class in the absence of the coordinator. This person is a minimum wage worker with no extra training.
It's not fair to the kids and it's not fair to the parents who truly think they are doing what's best for their kids. I feel that the parents don't know they are sending their kids off to basically be babysat. They think they are sending the kids to trained professionals who can help prepare them for school and that's not what we are.
Pros
Good schedule
Cons
Too many to list
Easy money
Transportation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Malvern, ARApril 17, 2019
This job is simple. You pick up the kids in the morning and you drop them off after school. No heavy lifting. No hard days. All you have to do is show up, drive, and go home.
Pros
School schedule
Cons
LOW pay.
Work was easy but there was a struggle to get good jobs through first step.
Temp (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 11, 2019
I always had a job with First Step. They provide me the work I needed to maintain my household. There was times that I was not given work but I continued to search for opportunity with the company and eventually found work. I unfortunately could not find a good permanent job and left the company to get work.
Pros
Paid weekly and transportation was provided to jobs.
Cons
Work that was offered was short at time.
Productive and positive work enviornment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wayne, MIMarch 27, 2019
-Fast Paced Crisis intervention
-Rewarding Work by helping trauma survivors become self sufficient
-Case management for Domestic violence and Sexual Assault Survivors
-Always busy and never bored
Pros
Make your own schedule/ fun recreational activities for survivors
Cons
Only work 37.5 hours a week/Emotionally Draining
liked the kids
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Hot Springs, ARFebruary 5, 2019
Was fun but new owners were not nice. I loved working with the kids and the teens. Was hard at times but over all was fun to work with the teachers. if you like kids you'll like the job.
Pros
not good pay or hours
Cons
the kids
Not what it used to be
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hot Springs, ARJanuary 25, 2019
I loved the department/co-workers I worked with everyday. Co-workers are more like family than actual co-workers. I enjoyed my job and doing the tasks that were asked of me.
Pros
Wonderful work family
Cons
Many benefits taken away
it is very productive
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 30, 2018
there is no hard part to this job the best part of this job is that we get paid at the end of the week and you go to different work sites we learn how to pack boxes
Case Worker
Mental Health Care Worker (Former Employee) –  New London, CTOctober 9, 2018
worked with clients who had dual diagnosis and mental behavorial disorders. supervised daily activities of clients, taught social and daily living skills.
A typical day.
Apartment Manager (Current Employee) –  Fordyce, AROctober 3, 2018
I love the job that I do. I love working for First Step, but at this time I need a job that pays more than what I'm making know. I love working for the consumers each day. Great group of people.
Fun place to work with kids
Developmental Instructor (Current Employee) –  Hot Springs, AR 71913September 12, 2018
Not enough pay, supervisors don't want to work with you on emergencies. Wants to know your personal business as of why you need to be off, shows favoritism to other workers.
Pros
Getting to help special needs children
Cons
Breaks not long enough and not enough off time
Couldnt keep enough work
Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 10, 2018
I believe it's great for people who like to move from job to job I need something more permanent especially since I am a single lady responsible for my own bills
Great environment
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Malvern, ARAugust 3, 2018
First step was a great place to work. It’s was a great learning opportunity to open your heart to those in need of their services. I would definitely recommend for someone to work there.
Great work hours
DT Instructor (Former Employee) –  Hot Springs, ARJuly 7, 2018
If you love working with special needs children. This would be the job for you. It is a stressful job. Some of the kids are hard to work with. Some of them bite ,hit ,kick ,spit and call you bad name. Some are sweet and loving.
Pros
Two week christmas break
Cons
no rises two bonuses per year
Different for each client
Medicaid alternative home provider (Current Employee) –  Hot Springs National Park, ARJune 6, 2018
Different experience with each client. My boss is amazing. I live being able to work from home in a relaxed atmosphere. Your clients become your family.
Nice place to work
Van Rider (Former Employee) –  Hamburg, ARMay 4, 2018
Nice place to work the pay except the pay isn’t enough and you do not get that many hours and it’s a very long time before you are able to work in the classroom with the children
Enjoyed meeting people.
Agency monitor (Former Employee) –  Fostoria, OHMay 3, 2018
I had various tasks ranging from office work to answering the domestic violence hotline. I also helped to welcome families to the shelter and acclimate them to the new environment.
Productive and fun workplace
Counselor Intern (Current Employee) –  70 W. Broad StreetMay 2, 2018
I enjoy working here and with my colleagues.i have been here over two years and have learned so much in the field of addiction. I would recommend this agency to anyone.
Pros
Environment
Job Review
Bus Monitor (Current Employee) –  Malvern, ARMarch 17, 2018
My job as a bus monitor is easy, the kids are a little rowdy at times, which can be frustrating. But over all I love the job.. I love the people I work with, they are good Christian people, the management team is supportive, caring and understanding.
Pros
Easy, time off between routes
Cons
children's behavior

Ask a question about working or interviewing at First Step. Our community is ready to answer.