First Student Employee Reviews

Found 1,693 reviews matching the search See all 1,913 reviews
A veces
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  New JerseyFebruary 13, 2019
Esta compañía no valora realmente a sus empleados y el pago no fue el justo
My Job
Bus driver full time (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARFebruary 11, 2019
Clock in 6am pre trip bus,run route ,clock out around 9am.stressful with some students.Love working with those willing to listen.This job is not for everybody because of the stress that comes with dealing childering K thur 8th grade.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Stressful
Na
Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYFebruary 10, 2019
I enjoyed working here. Great atmosphere. Managers are great. Employees are frienldy. Great morale. Great location. Place is very clean. Uniforms are provided which is always a plus
Small office and poor maintained buses
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Pueblo, COFebruary 7, 2019
Before entering and using a bus an inspection was performed each morning. his included the engine, brakes. After the inspection was complete I would proceed with my route which would be a planned trip to various addresses to pick up kids and take them to school. After dropping the kids off I would perform a student check, would check the seats in the bus to make sure there are no kids asleep or hiding on the bus. When the route was complete and the kids taken to school safely I would return to the bus yard to park the bus till the afternoon, or proceed to go on a field trip for a designated school. On a field trip I would be responsible for making sure the kids and adults going on the trip arrive at the destination and back to the school safely. I would make sure the bus was secure by being lock and anything left in it would be safe when waiting for In between the ride to the destination and the journey back to the school. After the field trip depending on the time of arrival at the school, I would ether continue to my afternoon route or go back to the bus yard to wait for the afternoon route. In the afternoon I would go on my afternoon route and pick up the kids from the school and take them home. I would then perform a student check and return to the bus yard. When I returned to the bus yard I would then perform a post trip Inspection. A post trip inspection is an inspection of the inside of the bus, the outside of the bus, and the tires of the bus.

The low ratings I am giving this company are because the management did not care about employees or the buses used for work.
  more... Buses were on a weekly basis breaking down or had some sort of problem. Management only cared about the money and wouldn't spend anything to properly fix anything. Also the management constantly under minded its employees and new employees were threatened by the manager in the case that the new employee would leave before the school year ended.  less
Pros
Got a CDL Class B
Cons
Bad Management, Bad Environment, Buses Never Properly Maintained
What a great group of people to work with
Driver (Current Employee) –  Gresham, ORFebruary 7, 2019
I started with First Student after leaving another company and wow. i can't even express how great I was treated from day one. Everyone from my fellow driver to the management team was so so so helpful. I really like the one program that we have for kids. I think they said it was Operation Backpack. It was one that was close to my own situation when my daughter didn't have enough money for school lunch when I was laid off. No one step up to assist us. that is why I got this second job. If all places had a program like that we could help a lot of kids.
Pros
Driver
awesome
moniter (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLFebruary 7, 2019
awesome cool pice of cake not stress full at all awesome job ever love it wonderfull awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome cool
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Skaneateles, NYFebruary 7, 2019
Location was great. Individuals that I worked with were great. They were all very teamwork driven. Management at time of hire was superb. Management at time of dismissal, not so muc .
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
poor
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Pueblo, COFebruary 6, 2019
management didn't care about the drivers or any of the employee all they cared about was making money and didn't care how they did it even if we lost our license
I loved working with First Student because of the kids on my runs. To this day I have students that were babies and see me now and are grown up
School Bus Driver (part-time) (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTFebruary 6, 2019
Report every dat swipe in swipe out and stayed to myself. Was not part of drama. Plus I am bilingual Spanish and English. Working with the children was the highlight of my day even after they graduated they still see me and give me hugs tell me about what they are doing and how great our conversations were when they had problems.
Pros
Working with children and not having a supervisor breathing down your next.
Cons
MANAGENT. Favoritisms, unorganized
Bus Driving
BUS DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Woodburn, ORFebruary 5, 2019
The driving was fun and always a different adventure. The team of drivers got along well. The only negative thing I have to say is that they didn't pay for any training.
Best Bus Company I've worked for
Charter route driver (Former Employee) –  South Holland, ILFebruary 5, 2019
The idea that I had to relocate ended this relationship. Fair wages and benefits, a Union Company, followed state regulations and federal laws, excellent trainers, never ever thought I would be able to back a school bus around cones... life experience.
Pros
Early day hours, opportunity to make more money by charter routes
Cons
Summer break, unemployment
Good pay.
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Glen Ellyn, ILFebruary 5, 2019
First Student is a good place to work if you like weeks off at at time. NO School No work. Snow Days are a bonus when you need a day off. Mid-days, Charters, field trips and late routes are available if you have seniority.
Pros
Nice Pay and Snow Days
Cons
Not enough hours to match pay.
Poorly Managed
Driver Trainer (Former Employee) –  Cologne, NJFebruary 1, 2019
Employee hours often cut. Management never available. Created lower rates to reduce employees income even though they may be doing the same job or working the same hours.
Over time even though may have been unavoidable was met with disciplinary actions.
Pros
Travel
Cons
Share-holders company
Ok place to work if you're not planning your retirement.
First Student (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 31, 2019
The management was usual. The kids were ok on average. I would say that if you're looking for a job that will lay it's employees off without any notice, then this is the place for you.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Not enough hours; unannounced lay-offs
You are working with special needs children and you have to watch everything you do and say someone could take it the wrong way and the children may h
Special needs school bus aide (Former Employee) –  Doylestown PAJanuary 30, 2019
It can be rewarding if you have The Good Children you can talk or respond to you but if you have the ones that cannot control themselves or have bad tempers things can become hectic and you can get punched in the face or anywhere else and there's nothing you can do about it but take it
Good Place to learn
Router Scheduler/ Payroll/Dispatch (Current Employee) –  San Fernando, CAJanuary 30, 2019
First Student is a good place to start from the bottom and work your way up. there is a lot to learn and gain lots of knowledge here. i personally have had a good experience here.
walking around the lake
First Student/Bus Aide (Current Employee) –  Arden Hills, MNJanuary 28, 2019
I was taking care kids on the bus. to make should the not walking on the bus or stand up on th seat. And i tell kids no swearing at m orrr other student or the bus driver
Pros
no lunch
Cons
go home forr break
Convenient if you have children in the district
Driver (Current Employee) –  Hamden, CTJanuary 28, 2019
It’s a bit stressful they are still working out the kinks after switching management twice in one year and new inexperienced dispatchers once that gets corrected maybe it will be less stress on the drivers
Pros
Summers off
High school work environment
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Warwick, RIJanuary 28, 2019
Caddy, spiteful, favoritism, promotes by friendship rather than merit or experience. Lack of summer work. Disliked union representatives.
Split shift work.
Pros
hourly pay
Cons
Not woth putting up with other drivers attitudes
great place to work if you love kids
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Nashua, NHJanuary 27, 2019
Typical day ran from 6:15 AM to 4:30 PM (depending on the route). Responsibilities included inspecting the bus, transporting 3 groups of students from assigned bus stops to school, some down time, and transporting 3 groups of students from school back to their bus stops, and final inspection of the bus.

Working a split shift makes for a 10-12 hour day while getting paid for 5-7 hours. Driving in inclement weather was not fun.

Monthly safety meetings are designed to keep drivers & monitors aware of and safeguard against potential hazards.

The hardest part of the job was having to deal with students who have no respect. Having experience driving freight, my first week on the job I learned that the precious cargo gives you attitude!!!
Pros
able to park at home between runs, flexible hours
Cons
bosses seemed cliquish, hardly any benefits, no A/C

Ask a question about working or interviewing at First Student. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at First Student.

Powered by Comparably