First Student
69Average

First Student Employee Reviews

United States2,502 reviews
Found 2,502 reviews matching the search
No room for growth if your not apart of the favorite pack.
If your not a favorite you will NOT grow within the company. The have clicks, upper management needs revamping...immediately. Dispatchers have a horrible way with word and absolutely NO CONFIDENTIALITY!!!
Employees are Replaceable
Was harassed daily by Yard Manager. Union was not helpful in any situation or allocation. Constant belittlement, was shunned for doing my pre-inspection daily and correctly, saying i was taking to long.
Excellent
Very respectful place to be. No place I rather be but to be making almost 20 dollars an hour. You get to meet mew people. Know your student's by their name drive for success
Amazing
I love working with kids feel so relaxed relieved from everything . Being able to teach them showing them the way for the time being on the bus is like an life time to dream. It has taught me how to have so much patience as well as appreciating life working with kids with disabilities.
Don't Work Here
Management tries to rule your personal life and your work life. Violated freedom of speech right by telling me what I could and could not say. I ABSOLUTELY DISLIKED WORKING HERE!
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Every work experience is unique. Tell us about yours. Rate your employer.
well organized shops with proper parts on hand
Mostly PM work, done with respect to the fact that you may be the next person to work on the vehicle. The shops had all the required tools for the work at hand.
Job is only good because your helping kids.
The job is not good @ all. I only stayed because of the kids who always made my day and because I have a family of my own. Plus I love helping kids. But alot of other drivers play around too much. Dispatchers are rude when they want to be & i don't think there is enough training going on before putting a driver on the road. Its like high school @ this job. Need better management and I left because I was not treated right or fairly by employees or managers.
School Bus Driver
First student was very good to work for. They have very flexible schedules. The compensation was average . The management there was very helpful and friendly.
Personally, my favorite job.
I've worked at Walmart, a junkyard and a hospital and this is by far my favorite job. I'm sure this depends on location and other variables. My location is paid very well, the children are very well behaved and majority of the co-workers are great. Hours average about 5 a day and there's extra work every month. Only thing I think could be better was benefits, but again that's specific to my location and every location has. Contract with that city that renews after however long the term is based off of negotiations with the union.
Fun job
Bus monitor and CDL training at First Student, Inc. Working with children and teenagers is fun. Supervisors were easy going at both locations. The culture is about transporting students to and from schools. Controlling those crazy kids was hard on buses. Overall, it was enjoyable.
school bus Monitor
What i learned on the job is how to transport the kids safe in the bus in and out of the school bus safely, also control they kids when ever a situation occurs.
I really enjoyed my job
My boss was very easy to get along with. I was lucky to have a great boss. Enjoyed what I did. Going to work was very well worth it. Met alot of great people.
My view of this!
This location needs to have a bigger driver room. better cooling and more chairs and tables.Drivers hang out in there and there is no place to come in and eat your food, they are EXTREMLY LOUD and play cards and Dominoes and SLAM those items hard on the table.They play loud music and dance.It is professional in there.This is a work place act like it.They speed thru thr parking lot and i have almost been ran over on foot 4 times cause they are in such a hurry to get to the school so they can continue to get out of their bus and start being loud and talking and yelling. Very unprofessional.SO MUCH FOR THOSE SAFTY VEST!!!! We need a deck for the smokimg people cause those of us that don't smoke we have to smell it and make our clothes stink!!!!!
Its a job
What you make of it. Great for someone who doesn't have kids, and have time to themselves. For the most the early hours may be helpful to do.e who are early birds
Good job
I loved it and I want to go back loved the people I worked with. Love working with the kids. Company is a very good company. Good pay good hours if I needed time off I got it.
I would recommend people to work there
as bus aide and drivers the job is greatly appreciated and improved over the years they teach very well safety like driving and the bus aides teach them how to treat the kids on the bus when they on and off the bus
Great company/ Horrible management
I have worked at different First Student locations and was very pleased until I worked in Snowflake. That location is a nightmare! Management is absolutely terrible. Good luck getting paid because payroll is always messed up. Plus they tolerate some of the worst behavior I've ever seen from drivers.
Productive and nice place to work
A diverse group of people work here. They are friendly and nice to work with. The company it's self has several different locations available to work at. They train you and pay for everything you need to get your CDL to drive a school bus. The management is there for you if you ever need to talk to them about anything.
A Tough Place to Work
With the U.S. economy sinking further into the abyss, a school bus driver’s position is one of the better paying part-time jobs that an individual can seek at this point in time … but it is a very tough business. The kids can be very challenging and, when I worked for First Student, the company’s buses were poorly maintained and, in some cases, were extremely dangerous to operate. In fact, in Connecticut, First Student has the worst safety record on file with Connecticut’s Department of Transportation. It also has a track record for not paying its employees on time or at all if an employee does not keep good records of his or her time and is willing to fight to get paid.

However, the company is willing to pay people a small wage during training, and many individuals use the company to acquire a CDL license, along with the necessary endorsements, and then leave for better positions once they are licensed.

Overall, I would not recommend First Student to prospective employees unless they intend to use the company as a point of entry into the industry.
Horrible company
They do not care about employees during the Coronavirus they left workers to die they got paid double for corona n still decided not to pay us n made us fil for unemployment while the ceo n everybody else got paid
ok place to work if you don't mind getting up at 5:00am
Union representation questionable. I wanted the attendant job at first. not available , so started trying as a bus driver. after being there a while, the attendant job opened up. so I stopped the bus training. They were very supportive during the bus training.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at First Student. Our community is ready to answer.
2.8
Ratings from women
2.5
InHerSight Score
2.1Personal Development
3.3Career Opportunities
2.2Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight