First Student Employee Reviews

just getting started
School bus driver (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 17, 2018
Good if you're just getting started not something you could make a living off of they never never want you to make 40 hrs it's never consistent changes always
Pros
good for kick off Start with your CDL
Cons
can't make a living off these hours
Great laid back job
Driver (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 16, 2018
Nice company who prides itself on safety. Dealing with precious cargo( children), safety is number one priority. Great instructors on board. Great union reps also.
Pros
Employee appreciation days, union
Cons
Seniority for new drivers
Average
Lead school bus attendant (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAAugust 14, 2018
Counted students.wrote referalls.clane bus after every drop off.bus checks after every bus stop.friemdly rappor with children.trained new employees when needed.
Fun and enjoyable job
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Galesburg, ILAugust 13, 2018
I think if your looking for a part-time job, and enjoy children this would be an awesome job. The management are very good at there jobs. Everyone's main concern are the children.
Pros
Lots of free time in between routes
Cons
Not enough hours
First student Is ok
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Pontiac, MIAugust 13, 2018
It's great work during school season but you're virtually unemployed for the summer. There is difficulty with getting unemployment benefits. the health benefits are not economical. They amount to the equivalent to at least 75-80% of weekly paycheck.
Pros
great pay.
Cons
terrible health plan. Off 3 months no pay..
Easy job
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  ConnecticutAugust 12, 2018
It is an easy job and comfortable to work in it i have time to do my errands after i done my job in the mornings then come back in the afternoon. The manager is so understandable and reasonable with employees. in our company are a diversity of culture. the harder part of my job is when we have snow days because many times we have delays or schools cancelled and we do not get pay for snow days and we lose money, also we do not have pension or any retirement and it will be great for us.
Cons
not pension or retirement, snow days and some holidays without pay or any day off regarding teachers conferences
Mainly Work focused
CUSTOMER SERVICE REP, ACCOUNT COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Wall, NJAugust 12, 2018
Day to day is based upon taking calls and handling customers only downtime you may have is during breaks/lunches. The job is very productively focused and if you do not focus on making sure you are as productive as they need you to be your employment may be questioned.
Nationwide, there's a severe school bus driver shortage
Driver Candidate (Former Employee) –  Gardena, CAAugust 10, 2018
First Transit/First Stupid... I mean "student" don't seem to care about high driver shortages for school buses. They think they don't have to pay their drivers a decent living wage, or that they can offer "non-paid" training (for 6-8 weeks), and that they can only guarantee a measley five (5) hours per day and 25 hours per week, at $15.19 per hour. Why, that's less than $380.00 per week (B4 taxes)--- here in California!!

It's no wonder 1st Stupid, I mean, First Student keeps a "Now Hiring" sign/banner posted on the front entrance to their school bus yards. No self-respecting CDL driver, who has to jump through so many hoops to acquire a CDL and a California School Bus Certificate, would tollerate such an insult with respect to compensation.
Pros
What?
Cons
Lack of a living wage...weak benefit package which is provided by the union, soley!
Fun work place
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTAugust 10, 2018
Love the kids great boss love my summer off holidays off with some pay out by 5pm Close to my house love driving my big bus great co workers in by 5am learned a lot
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Woodburn, ORAugust 10, 2018
This is a fun and rewarding job if you like to work with children. Great work environment,always providing positive feedback to employees. they also always offer us more hours if we need them.
Pros
Part time
Cons
Children can be challenging
good job
BUS DRIVER (Current Employee) –  Danville, IL 61832August 9, 2018
a typical day is first doing a pre trip on my bus and then leaving at my pull time to each stop on my route sheet to pick up children, and drop them off at school, management is great, I call in at any time on the radio if I have any questions or concerns, and the most enjoyable part of the job is getting to know the childen
Pros
field trips
Cons
no air on the bus
Easy job for part time
Location Safety Manager (Former Employee) –  South Holland, ILAugust 9, 2018
fast paced environment for a person who is autonomous. Lack of enough drivers stresses everyone out-including all management. It is better for the part-time driver.
Pros
family oriented
Cons
stressful due to understaffed
Nice job just was unorganized
Driver (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHAugust 8, 2018
My experience at first student was me getting my hrs and checks shorted constantly the actual job itself was ok for the most part could get stressful at times.
Promotions
Location Safety Manager (Current Employee) –  McMinnville, ORAugust 8, 2018
Promotions are minimal, recognitions are no longer practiced, and policies and procedures are overlooked. Favoritism by management creates animosity. Consequences are never followed through unless management needs to make an example of someone. Slap on the hand for some, suspension for others under identical circumstances.
Pros
well built teams outside of upper management
Cons
No follow through, or consistent, equal consequences for all
Good place to start your career
Assistant Location manager (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHAugust 7, 2018
Offers opportunities to gain knowledge for advancement . Offers opportunities to relocate due to the size of the company and the various demographics that they service around the country
Day At Work
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Gresham, ORAugust 6, 2018
Im a mom of 4 so Family means the world to me and First Student Beleaves your Family is first. They even Do frips to the Beach you can bring your family with you.
Satisfying.
Bus Aide (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSAugust 6, 2018
I got to work with special needs children, which i really enjoyed. It was a new experience for me and was beneficial to me after i left first student.
Pros
Long breaks. Holidays off.
Cons
If there is no school we don't work
High paced, stressful at times
School bus driver (Current Employee) –  Taftville, CTAugust 5, 2018
First Student school bus company in taftville CT. Has no benefits for employees, . Most office staff have little regard for employees. They do not hold drivers responsible for filthy busses, spare busses are always filthy. They don't greet the employees, mostly rude
Cons
No health care. Limited hours, not enough work. Office staff is critical quick to fault employee, rarely praises. Employees feel unappreciated most of time
I enjoy woking with the students and driving.
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  75 kane rd. Rochester, ny 14609August 5, 2018
First Student is a nice place to work. It is a lot of responsibility to transport children to and from school. You have to deal with different driving conditions.
Pros
I enjoy working with the children and driving.
Cons
The traffic people don't respect bus drivers.
School Bus Driver
Driver (Former Employee) –  MissouriAugust 3, 2018
Most fun and meaningful work driving children. Some days were cold, some days hot but enjoyable. Early mornings, and opportunities for increased hours with extra trips and events.
Pros
company gathers (employee appreciation day, holiday parties, etc.)
Cons
healthcare benefits were expensive

Ask a question about working or interviewing at First Student. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

3.1Personal Development

4.4Career Opportunities

3.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight