First Student Pay & Benefits reviews

Found 548 reviews matching the search See all 2,073 reviews
Poor management, severe nepotism,improper accounting of hours worked
School bus driver (Former Employee) –  Dover Plains, NYMay 20, 2019
Management makes you feel very comfortable and pretends to be your (friend) when first employed. This is a ploy to make you feel as though they are trustworthy as they alter your hours that you work and pay you for less hours than you actually work. Work is handed out to those whom are considered managements "FRIENDS" not on a true rotational basis as described upon hiring. Expect to pay for a union weekly that only comes around once every three years at contract time. I would not recommend this company as there are plenty of other places to work where you get paid for the hours you actually have worked without having to keep and compare a minute by minute log daily.
Pros
Easy to get employed there, plenty of time off
Cons
If you are looking to make money this is not the place, Favoritism is severe, Dont get paid for hours worked without catching them and demanding your money
A good job to work at and it working around your family time.
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMay 15, 2019
When I first started I was able to take my kids with me to work and I loved that and so did they I was always able to take my kids to school and be back home in time to do other things during the day before I had to start my route so I didn’t have to take off any days.
Pros
The schedule
Cons
No health benefits for your first years
Nice job for driver. They will train you
Bus Monitor (Current Employee) –  Berlin, NJMay 15, 2019
Good place to work if you are a driver bus monitor is very boring bus driver make good money for not get many hrs a week good for s retired person like me that's why I applied not very strenuous job mostly a sit down job you work with trilhe driver and help monitor special need kids
Horrible management
School bus driver (Former Employee) –  Anoka, MNMay 1, 2019
This company is very mismanaged. They always have pay issues and they have too much emphasis on senority. The locations dont work together, and the work takes up your whole day, but you dont get paid for all of it.
Pros
Lots of time off
Cons
LOTS of time off
Horrible
CDL Driver (Current Employee) –  Plaistow, NHApril 30, 2019
It is probably one the worse jobs I have ever had - only plus side was being able to spend time with my children, other than that - just a stressful, thankless dead-end job........................................
Pros
Time with my children
Cons
Stress, not enough money - no support from administration or upper management
Flexible work hours
Bus Operator (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAApril 22, 2019
The pay is pretty good for the required work. It allows you to work a part time job if necessary. The staff is down to earth but about the job so as long as you do what's required everything runs smoothly.
Pros
Split shift
Great if you dont need steady income.
Safety Trainer/Driver (Former Employee) –  Arden Hills, MNApril 18, 2019
Good job for a retiree with additional income. Hourly wage ok, but MN's no unemployment for school district employees makes this job less-than livable with multiple lay-offs and no PTO.
Pros
Easy to drive automatic transmission busses.
Cons
Split shifts and no work in summer.
working with special needs kids
Sandwhich Maker (Former Employee) –  Rochester, WAApril 18, 2019
over all I enjoyed working with the kids it was a great experience but my pay checks weren't working with trying to provide for me and my son it just wasn't enough
Good place to work!!
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYApril 18, 2019
A good place to work if you have children or like working with them... The schedules are flexible, and allow you to have time off during the summer, depending on the situation that can be a good or bad thing.
Good job schedule for parents..
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Catskill, NYApril 16, 2019
Managment *was* decent until harassment was allowed at this location. Don't even think of any type of advancement either. Not unless you're the boss's favorite.
The only awesome thing about this job are the kids! They make it all worth it.
Pros
Paid snow days, unemployment for vacations and summer
Cons
Pay, management makes you feel disposable
Great training for new drivers
ADMINISTRATIVE & PAYROLL CLERK / DISPATCHER (Former Employee) –  Newberg, ORApril 16, 2019
Once you are a trained driver they want you to stay a bus driver and work flexible hours.
Offered benefits are not affordable with the exception of vision and dental.
Pros
Free CDL classes, training
Great Pay but very stressful
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Molalla, ORApril 15, 2019
This is a good job for someone who has nerves of steel. This is a very stressful position and it takes some getting used to. But once you have the job down, it's easy.
Pros
pay is good
Cons
no benefits
Horrible work place
Bus driver full time (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHApril 14, 2019
Horriable place to work you have a lot of chiefs and no Indians every one that is a boss or manger shouldn't be because they have never done the job or dont do it the way they try to tell you to. The equipment sucks it's always needed repairs.There is never enough buses or mechanics to fix the buses. There quility of services is way below what they will tell you the only good thing is they pay you every week until the summer time when you get alot less for instance if you regularly make 300.00 a week you will only make 150.00 no real benefits you will end up useing your entire check to pay for no service. There is no time off you can just forget about it no paid time off Petermann offers better to there employees. They steal more money from the school district then the school district steal there money from the hard working tax payers. Stay away from them they will screw you if you dont pay close attention.
Pros
You are paid weekly
Cons
Everything you can think of
Very Messy
PROFESSIONAL DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARApril 11, 2019
This job was a very messy job site. the management, the employees, everyone. It pay very well, and they give raises on time every year, but other than that; this job is a big no.
Cons
Drama
Making sure children are in their seat properly with seatbelts on, properly hook up wheelchairs, trained new monitors when they come on board.
Bus Monitor (Current Employee) –  Maywood, ILApril 6, 2019
Working at First Student is stressful for me it's just time for me to relocate and find something better for myself. There is no vacation days, no pension , basally no career for someone my age.
I was always lied to.
Bus driver full timeBus driver (Former Employee) –  , NYGlenmontApril 6, 2019
Not professional. Dispatch is very disrespectful, never got paid for extra hours. Very uncomfortable atmosphere they made it stressful to work. Never felt like I belong there.
Pros
I was able to take my 3 year old with me
Cons
Mud ruining the inside of my car
Hard place to make a living
School Bus Monitor (Former Employee) –  KansasApril 5, 2019
Depending on the job title you had or the Students on your bus, your day could be great. But everyday there were disruptive Students on various buses. I would come away with scratches, bruises may times at the end of the day.

The pay scale I believe was raised slightly for bus drivers because they started out the 2018-2019 school year 85 drivers short.
Good management, great co-workers, mechanics keeps up on bus maintenance and repairs.
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Ville Platte, LAApril 3, 2019
I have enjoyed working for First Student. Our location is good at working together as a team and pulling together to help one another. Students are very rowdy, but that's just about anywhere you go. The pay is good for the work, just not enough hours to live off of so I had to get a second job. If I was offered a chance to advance I would take it. It's not for everyone, but if you love children and are a team player then you will do well. Some days are better than others.
Pros
Good manager and coworkers, holiday cookings, recognition for jobs well done, sign on bonus in some areas
Cons
Part-time, not enough hours to make a living
Flexible hours
Driver (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, NYApril 1, 2019
A great place to train. The management cares about their people more than numbers. The pay is reasonable. The hours are flexible and benefits are available.
Seniority
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Oakdale, MNMarch 31, 2019
Routes are chosen by seniority. Leaving those of us who hadn't been there for a while, with the short and small routes. In turn, this gave less hours.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at First Student. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at First Student.

Powered by Comparably