First Student Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Found 1,318 reviews matching the search See all 1,494 reviews
Family feeling place
Driver \ Charter Coordinator (Former Employee) –  1901 Lake Valentine Rd, Arden Hill MNMarch 29, 2018
Everything in that particular location makes you feel like a large family, always everyone look for other ones, they are always willing to help and care
Driver (Current Employee) –  Naperville, ILMarch 29, 2018
Good people to work with. It's an easy job. You get in early and got done early. You get breaks when the children are off from school. The money is good and it is a union job.
Pros
Easy work, good money.
Cons
Kids can be jerks, sometimes.
most enjoyable job
Payroll Manager (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAMarch 28, 2018
I started out at first student as a young mom, I was a bus driver for 12 years , then there was an opening for a payroll manager. I have been in that position for the last 6.5 years.
Cons
flexible hours, vacation time according to my years of service
A fun and driven atmosphere
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Marysville, OHMarch 28, 2018
Working for First Student is a fun and driven company. As a school bus driver once you get to know the students and the parents it makes the job position a lot of fun.
I enjoy being a bus driver and First Student, at least where the location I am at; our director takes real good care of us.
Pros
Enjoy customer service
Cons
sometimes get difficult parents
Great family orientaed place to work.
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  United StatesMarch 27, 2018
Nuce place to work plenty of time to think.also great place to get experience. Training department is very knowledgeable about state driving laws.Always informative about all new laws.
Pros
Good. Place to learn what you need to know about the driving laws.
Cons
Not enough hours to many unpaid days off.
Bus Monitor (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSMarch 27, 2018
I have worked for this company for five years and I love it. You get breaks in between. I also have good communication with my students. The benefits are not that great, but the experience with the special needs children is rewarding!
Had some good people
SCHOOL BUS DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAMarch 27, 2018
First Student you are basically going house to house to pick up students and take them home. but you only usually work 4 to 5 hours a day at 13 an hour. You are dressed casually but they use big brother ZONAR to make sure you stay on route and will question why it my take a few extra minutes to pre-trip your bus. All in all its a good learning experience and they have top-notch trainers.
Pros
Easy Job
Cons
Can't live off it.
Authoritative
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  North Smithfield, RIMarch 27, 2018
Big brother or Big sister was watching over you. They tried to cheat us at contract negotiations, talking about squeezing nickles from the working person. They expected more duties for less pay.
Pros
children
Cons
management
Horrible corporate and management, great coworkers
Special Needs School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Corvallis, ORMarch 26, 2018
If they can cheat you of hours and pay, they will. It is a union shop and the only way for employees to get what they've worked for. Cost cutting includes cheap, poorly made buses that frequently break down, improvements at site only when necessary and cutting corners on safety and training.
Communication is frequently a problem. Routes will be changed on drivers with little to no notice. Routes are not kept up to date. Drivers are often asked to cover other routes due to high turnover and not enough drivers.
While some routes have difficult children and not-parenting parents, most kids respond to consistent discipline as outlined by the school. The school has been more responsive and communicative to drivers although management has gotten in the way.
On the plus side, coworkers are decent and caring people, if a bit stressed out. We know we share the trenches. Driving around Corvallis is not bad with traffic, not when compared to Portland OR.
Pros
Decent coworkers, living area
Cons
Awful management & corporate culture
School Bus Driver/TrainerSchool bus driver (Former Employee) –  Belleville, IL 62220March 25, 2018
I enjoyed my 14 years of working with First Student. It was a good place to work with a great work environment and good people to work with. I would recommend his job to anyone of my friends.
Pros
Good pay with a good work environment
Cons
Not really any kind cons
a typical day at work
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Jefferson City, MOMarch 22, 2018
when I first got the job there I love it now it to the point that no one really want to work there are hiring new people in and there are make more money then the people who been there for years
Maintenance is a joke
Diesel Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Exeter, NHMarch 22, 2018
Maintenance is a joke is a under statment
USED parts old equipment no rules
No or under trained co workers units brake down on the hour with passerager management blames the shop then the driver never the cost cutting or the age of the unit
Pros
New job
Cons
Never should have taken the job
Fun job and stress free
Bus Monitor (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ILMarch 21, 2018
Job was fun love being around the students that were on the bus. Learn a lot working with the kids this job was a adventure for me. They have benefits you get paid for holiday pay.
Pros
You get to bring your kids to work with you
Cons
Work 2hours in the day leave work at 9am then come back to work at 2pm to work
driver duties at first student
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 20, 2018
pick up students and designated stops and take them safely to and from school on time. weekends transport out of town trips and work with forein exchange students.
professional and great work place
Driver (Former Employee) –  West Milwaukee, WIMarch 20, 2018
a typical work day would be a 6am route till about 8:30am I would then do a midday route I really enjoyed working for the company. A great work place.
fun
Auto-Mechanic Technician (Former Employee) –  Hempstead, NYMarch 20, 2018
Great people to work with, and learn a lot with many machanicals in the company. learn auto mechanic hands on. The fact that you are driving from time to time gives you a life time experience when you are on the road for your personal shore.
Flexible hours if you have school-aged children
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAMarch 18, 2018
Great company for employment if you have young school-aged children. Company offer good incentives to employees. Company offers great incentives to its employees.
Pros
Field trips, flexible schedule
Cons
healthcare costs as opposed to salary
Working for free
Diesel Technician (Former Employee) –  Merced, CAMarch 17, 2018
They ask u to do pmi
But u work on Repairs too. No safety ether. They worry about numbers more then anything. Buses on balled tires says enough. Shop to small for buses too.
Pay is okay. Learn to work on engines on there dime and got a class b. Also under staff. Good luck. U will need it
Pros
Learn a lot. To make better money some where else
Cons
They want everthing done in 8 hrs. Dont work like that in this field
productive and fun workplace with a pingpong table
Driver (Current Employee) –  Waukesha, WIMarch 16, 2018
it's honestly pretty good here. I don't necessarily like the hours, being a college student, but I do like the amount I work-about 4 hrs a day-and the pay is pretty nice. it's a easy job to get fired on, so for me it's a bit stressful, but as long as you do your best and keep a professional attitude, you don't need to worry as much.

they've got lots of drivers appreciation days, and with the meetings we have you can get good food. potlucks, and other holiday parties they have every year too.

kids can be a hassle, but you can change your route every year, or keep it.

the bus maintenance staff can be very rude/brusque in their manor, but they know what they're doing, and what the drivers are doing wrong.

I honestly like most of the people who work here, there's a nice variety of people. if you don't like to talk to people, you don't have to, though expect lots of people to say hello.
Pros
nice people, pretty good pay, free food on occasion, short work days
Cons
short work days, kids can be awful, easy to get fired
Temporary job
Went through driver training (Former Employee) –  Eureka, MOMarch 16, 2018
First Student provided me with the training that I needed to become a school bus driver. It was a very nice program and I was able to succeed in it. I left because I found a bus driving job in my local district and did not have to drive 30 miles to this one.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at First Student. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.5InHerSight Score

3.1Personal Development

4.5Career Opportunities

3.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight