First Tech Federal Credit Union Employee Reviews

A Credit Union Should Not Be Operated Like A Bank
Card and Payment Associate (Current Employee) –  Corporate in OregonOctober 16, 2018
Been with the CU about 1 1/2 yrs with at least 5 yrs previous banking experience. The manager spoke negatively of the CU during the interview. I made clear my career path/goals. Found out you’re hired and/or promoted by cronyism. I was denied advancement 3 times and was offered a SME title with no raise and extra menial work because of my prior experience. The majority of my team has been with the CU only a few months longer than me. Management came from banks and coworkers have no previous experience and we receive literally no training. Sit and watch someone else and learn by mistake. People constantly talk negatively about coworkers and the job. One on one meetings for the past year all went the same - Manager cannot open or locate notes to go over, makes personal texts for some time and apologizes, then asks the same questions every. Single. Meeting. For over a year. “Where do you live again? How is family? Do you have input for me?” We’re back office and were told we wouldn’t take calls like a call center, we do. We were told there was an off the phone schedule, instead we are given mandatory OT despite being well within SLA. Management hangs out constantly in their own private clique meetings to get promoted and disregard their teams entirely. New corporate HQ is not public transit accessible. I was hired when the CU hit 500,000 members. Guess the size changed corporate culture to bank mentality.
Pros
Executive staff and Tenured employees still promote the family oriented corporate culture, CEO calls each employee on their birthday, Professional development time includes seeing a financial advisor during work hours.
Cons
Supervisors are not available, never reply to email, don’t read email, are always in their own meetings. Direct management does not share corporate vision, does not listen to team input, cube desks allow no privacy and newer coworkers are immature, eavesdrop, gossip, and complain.
Great Company/ Great Benefits
Collector II (Former Employee) –  Hillsboro, ORJanuary 7, 2019
Biggest thing I liked about working here is the benefits and the work/life balance. The thing to know is that you need to be in your current role for 6 months to 1 year to look into moving up into management but to move to other departments they are pretty flexible.
Pros
Discounted rates on loans and credit cards
They have to pay you a lot because they know most people wont put up with it.
Consumer Lending Representative (Former Employee) –  Beaverton, ORAugust 30, 2018
They paid us a great salary. If you don't care about your happiness or if you don't mind being micro-managed, this is the place for you. If you have any self-respect you will leave as soon as you get enough money saved up to do so (quickly due to the great wages). High turnover, never promote people, have people doing work for over 5+ years in a job title they never get promoted to. Hire men as Level 2 but hire women as level 1 for some odd reason? But yeah, great pay and lots of talk about your advancement and your career goals but they really prefer you not look for advancement. Actions speak louder than words there. CEO seems great, he reads your name tag to make it seem like he remembers you LOL. The other upper managers literally don't even know what you do. They think you're a hard worker for coming in on your day off but really you are scheduled at 7am on Sunday... Literally they were shocked when they found out we were open at that time. Also they list you as a salary employee to force you to work ridiculous hours but then nickel and dime you when you need time off. Salary is supposed to work both ways for the employer and employee. Act of congress to use your PTO even if you are asking months in advance. You can be hung out to dry in front of 30+ people.
Pros
Great Salary
Cons
Oblivious Upper Management, Little Work-Life Balance, No Advancement, Poor Employee Morale
Good company to grow with
Financial Solutions Representative (Current Employee) –  Eugene, ORJanuary 23, 2019
Good company ethics, however promotion within the company can be difficult if you refuse to "play ball" meaning you must really show strong preference towards management otherwise your hard work will go unnoticed and you will be passed up over someone who provides false and inaccurate information to members.
Very modern culture but...
Loan Processor (Former Employee) –  Beaverton, ORJanuary 26, 2019
First tech has the highest turn over rate I ever saw throughout my professional career. There is too much brown nosing in the mortgage department and not enough team fees back.
Pros
Upscale tech and furniture
Cons
Management, stress and management
Great Employer
Financial Solutions Representative II (Current Employee) –  Boise, ID 83714October 17, 2018
First Tech has been an overall remarkable company to be a part of. I am inspired daily by my peers and management as we all have a strong sense of camaraderie. If possible I would love to sustain my career at First Tech and contribute at a higher level.
Heard all the wrong things
Consumer Lending (Current Employee) –  Hillsboro, OROctober 16, 2018
I believe that for alot of people this is a great place to work.
However, the pay is not competitive and the executive level needs to work on cut down on the multiple layers of management.
Pros
People are nice
Cons
Pay, flexibility, management
Horrible, stressful, emotionally damaging work environment
FSR 1 (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 17, 2018
I worked here for 2 years and when I started I was a teller and thourghly was enjoying my job until they switched to the bank mindset and have every teller switch to to FSR1`s and my location got a new assistant manger who when was told was in charge of the staff got a big head. This could have been better if 1. We had actual training not just webinars. 2. If my location actually had room for eveyone to be a FSR. And 3. If management didnt think they was better than their staff and didnt have they own pet. This company might pay you well but thats to try an keep you quiet while they treat you horribly, micromanage everything you do and have unattainable goals. For the majority of the time i was there i was verbally abused by members and never got support from management or anyone above them. I wouldnt recommend working here unless you want to put your head down every day and be a robot. Worst place ever!
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
Management is horrible, goals arent reachable, bank mindset but its a credit union
Great work life balance
Business Development Leader (Current Employee) –  Mountain View, CAAugust 6, 2018
They do care about employees' families and offer good work life balance. They are always striking to be the best. They are well known in Oregon. CEO is a great person.
Workplace Culture
HR/Payroll Specialist Lead (Former Employee) –  Rocklin, CAMay 1, 2018
Workplace Culture is good. Very rich benefits. I felt cheated out of a job since they wanted to move my position to Oregon. That is why they did not get any rating above a three.
Benefits
Cons
Management decisions
Historically a good employer
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  OregonApril 6, 2018
Have loved this company for my entire career path.Going through a lot of transformation and change.My advise is;do what is right for our employees and members always. And please; slow down a little. CEO is a great man with great visions.
Pros
Have always treated employees well
Cons
Changing culture is causing a lot of stress.
Competitive, yet relaxed
Member Services (Former Employee) –  Rocklin, CAAugust 16, 2018
They were competitive about many aspects in the job, but they didn't pressure you too hard if you weren't completely involved with the competition. I was unable to keep my position after my son was born and didn't have FMLA to cover my position, otherwise, I'm sure I'd still be employed with them.
Pros
There was always something to do
Cons
Can be stressful at times
Fist Tech CU
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Beaverton, ORAugust 22, 2018
Out of all the banking jobs I have experienced this was by far the best- I had the best management team that I worked under. Deadlines and dept goals were expected to be made on a daily basis, but there was never any micro management. Co-workers were
always there to help out. Only issue was the low pay scale that was offered in this position.
Do not trust management
Brokerage Specialist (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 16, 2018
They will lie to your face, on the phone, and even via email.
Even if you are performing in a role above and beyond the previous hires, if they tell you it will be "another couple months" do not believe it.
Disorganized and distant, so unless you in their HQ in Portland you can forget about a lot of face to face time.
Pros
you certainly did not have someone over your shoulder watching every move you made
Cons
pay, lack of advancement, lack of commuincation. turnover
Member Service Rep (Former Employee) –  PortlandDecember 5, 2018
Overall the company lacked organizations. I worked there in the winter and through I understand coming to work is important, but when the new is requesting shut down to city due to it being dangerous to drive, the company should have honored that. Yet we were still risking our lives to come to work.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Unorganized.
Typical Day
Mortgage Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hillsboro, ORFebruary 3, 2019
I would start by speaking with my 2 mortgage loan officers to see what today would look like. I would go through my emails and voicemails to see what needed to be done first thing. I would work thoughout the day with my loan officers along with other business partners to assist in keeping the loans moving forward
Pros
Great Atmosphere
Cons
None really, was great place to work
Setup to Fail
Call Center Representative (Former Employee) –  Rocklin, CAOctober 9, 2018
When I got hired, they knew I was knew to the banking world and they said we would learn what we needed to in training. My training was extended to be the longest training class and it still wasn't enough. Out of the 6 weeks in trainign, I got to use a computer maybe two weeks out of the 6. Mind you, everything you do is online. My training class spent far too long discussing personal matter and didn't want to take the training serious. When it came time to hitting the floor, I knew maybe 20% of the job. I had to call for assurance non stop. I had to put almost every member on hold. When in pod, which is the final step before you're on your own, they pointed out how many things we were taught incorrectly so basically all of my notes were garbage. They hated me asking so many questions. All I wanted to do was do my job well. They would say look at your notes! Well how can I when you say my notes are wrong! Was way too stressful. I have lupus and my lupus hasn't been active in about 5 years. After 2 months of waiting to get heath insurance, I finally was able to get blood work to find out that because of the high stress I was under all day and thinking about work while at home, my lupus because active again. I resigned the next day. Sure pay is good, but not for someone like me. For once in my life, I gave up and quit. I couldn't handle it. The company overall seems cool. They do paid community service, which could be on top of your normal 40 hours or apart of it. You get 16 paid hours of community service, which you have to do at some point during the year. Be careful when considering  more... the call center position. There are so many systems that you have to use on a regular basis and if you're new to banking, might want to be a teller first before doing their call center role. Oh, they are like in the top 5 of credit union's and Rocklin is the only call center to take customers calls... think about that. Your call queue was so huge at times. That also adds to your stress. Members were nice for the most part. This company wants you to hit quota but also wants you to build relationships with members too with no dead air. Better get good at small talk.  less
Pros
Paid community service
Cons
Lack of training! Too many systems to learn in limited time plus many more not listed
Changing the direction of the Credit Union
Member Solutions Representative (Former Employee) –  Beaverton, ORMay 4, 2018
The new changes that came to the company were some good and some bad ways. Not a direction I was interested in so I chose to move on and direct my work life to another direction
Great work enviroment, awesome teammates
FSR - financial service representative (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WASeptember 3, 2018
First Tech taught me many new skills for customer service. It was very sales heavy. There were some very stressful times, but the better I got at the job, it was great. Most enjoyable part of the job was the people I worked with.
Great Place to be yourself
Operations Associate (Current Employee) –  Rocklin, CAJanuary 25, 2018
Too much micro management and obtaining different answers from different people. Salary is low for the amount of work they want you to do.Call center is very stressful job

Ask a question about working or interviewing at First Tech Federal Credit Union. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.9InHerSight Score

2.6Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight