First Transit Employee Reviews

Found 1,091 reviews matching the search See all 1,094 reviews
Work with fun people
METROLIFT OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 13, 2018
Not the place to work if you lack customer service skills. Not the place to work if you are looking for work/life balance. Long hours. Mandatory/guaranteed overtime. Communication has room for improvement. Management and training has much room for improvement. Tough skin needed to deal with various personalities throughout each shift. Great place to work if you enjoy helping others. Very physical hands on job. Most clients are enjoyable to work with. Everyday was different. Great benefits. The more you work, the more you get paid.
Pros
Learn the city, Fun clients and staff, Decent Pay
Cons
Short lunch, Long Hours, Pay never changes, Lots of rules & Regs
Worse place to work.
Operator (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALOctober 10, 2018
First Transit is one of the worst places to work. There is no advancement in this company. If you don't work how they want you to you are mistreated in all types of ways. They have very poor management. Management doesn't communicate with one another and if their is a mistake they will not own up to it. They work really long hours and they only want to give you a 30 or 40 minute break for the whole day. They give you vacation time, but if you are not their favorite it is very hard to take days off even for doctor's appointments. This is not a kid friendly workplace if you have children stay away from this employer. They don't care about you as an employee or your immediate family (i.e. children).
Competing contracts
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJJanuary 19, 2019
As a manger, keeping a balance between a union contract and the contract held with New Jersey Transit is challenging to say the least. The region carries approximately 250 operators, 2 dispatchers and 4 road supervisors.
Fulfilling the contractual obligations set forth met with inefficient staff and/or inexperienced staff that could not support or be coached.
Although I appreciate such challenges, it seemed to have a negative effect on morale. It, therefore, created a layer between management and staff that needed dissolving in effort to achieve a common goal (safe transport of disabled passengers).
Overall, I appreciated the work and its impact on society as a whole. It has been and will always be a pleasure to work be inundated in an environment of a multitude of culture and personality.
Bad Company
Paratransit Driver (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJuly 26, 2018
The managers there are rude and very disrespectful and think they can talk down to its employees. Even the human resource department be in on the action. They use so much profanity you would think you're at a bar and not at work. The environment is very toxic and stressful and it's like a revolving door at that place. You might see a person one day and by next week they are gone. They also like to intimidate their employees like you don't have any rights.
This is not a good company to work for and you would think the higher ups would do way more pop ups to see what is really going on behind closed doors if you know what I mean.
Pros
Meeting new people, seeing new things
Cons
Salary, management, work conditions, job security
Bad place to work, this company do not give employees salary increases.
Systems Administrator (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WASeptember 7, 2018
If you first start your career then this place can work for ya but again any company can give you the experience overtime. This company make you to work your butt off yet they do not give raises to their employees at all, while the executive folks get big bonuses and yearly raise. Trust me I've been working there for years and I know inside out, Thank God I found a better company that appreciated my handwork.
Pros
A job.
Cons
Lots of work, yet no bonuses or salary increases.
Very rewarding job
PARA TRANSIT BUS OPERATOR, FIRST TRANSIT (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORNovember 19, 2018
A typical day at work consists of arriving early, pre-tripping the assigned vehicle and then following an electronic manifest for pick up and drop off of qualified LIFT passengers and their care attendants. The most challenging part of this job is encountering a delay or emergency that's out of the operators control. The operator is responsible for providing safe transport for people with a wide range of disabilities. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to know passengers and their personalities. Overall very rewarding to be able to work for a company that provides such a vital service to the community.
Pros
The job is very rewarding.
Cons
Payroll & Benefits are not handled by management, corporate only.
Great environment with advanced facility and equipment
Safety & Training Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Arcadia, CASeptember 27, 2018
I worked for two contracts for First Transit in Arcadia and Sylmar.
Foothill Transit was the Arcadia location and subsequently returned to Coach America when provided a [promotional position. The Sylmar location covered LADOT and Dash. Both locations had great newer equipment and facilities and excellent training location setups.

I learned a lot about working with other departments in melting minds to meet project goals. The culture was supported by the corporate level and seemingly national units.

The hardest thing for me was the commuting daily. Even though it was not as far as the Long Beach, Oxnard, or Bakersfield locations it was somewhat challenging.

Once again the part of the job that was enjoyable to me was the teaching and the response from the employees that seemed to buy in and appreciate what you were doing to make their job safer and their performance better.
Pros
Modern facilities and equipment
Cons
travel
Challenging, but not impossible
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 28, 2018
First Transit is a wonderful company to work for and will assist you in any endeavor to advance your career. I am blessed to be part of a successful organization at my present level. The main point is that you have to have some type of drive or motivation to move up in this company. No one will take you under their wing and help you if you don't put forth the effort to ask. This is not a negative about the company, its just fact.
Pros
Longevity with company, competitive salary
Cons
Room to advance beyond mid-level managerment
Good work environment, management and co-workers are friendly.
Specialist (Former Employee) –  Glen Ellyn, ILNovember 28, 2018
Pay scale needs to be raised, but it is a nice, low stress, work environment, management and co-workers are friendly. Everyone seems to get along well.
Pros
Flexible hours & medical benefits
Cons
Low pay
Decent Pay, No benefits
Transit Bus Technician (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZJanuary 6, 2019
The pay is really good with good yearly raises. Clean environment. That’s about all the pluses. Constantly failing equipment, limited to no advancement, expensive health insurance ($1700/month for UHC), no pension. It’s a 24/7/365 job which means no Holidays off, 3rd shift constantly left with majority of the work. No bonuses, only $200 a year in tool reimbursement.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Healthcare, equipment, no employee appreciation
Horrible place to work for bad management
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIOctober 25, 2018
Horrible place to work for. Management is very unprofessional, cut-throat, lack of experience, very immature, and sneaky. Very stressful job and bad business.
Benefits
Cons
Everything else
Stay away from the Midway Rac!!!
Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Bedford Park, ILNovember 13, 2018
I have worked for several major companies with thousands of employees and this small location has the worst employee morale that I have ever encountered. I absolutely hated coming to work due to the rude, unprofessional, messy, and discriminatory employees. The managers are fully aware of the Tom Foolery that goes on at the Midway rack and they refuse to rectify problem. As if the harassment by the employees wasn't enough they turn around and pay you a measly $13 an hour and they require you to have a CDL with two endorsements and experience. The benefits are virtually unaffordable due to the low wages. Their desperation for drivers has caused them to be very lenient with it's workers and it has definitely caused a problem. You can virtually do or say whatever you want while working there.
Pros
Poor behavior without consequences
Great location, challenging, opportunity to make a good work place a great work place.
Assistant General Manager (Current Employee) –  Lawnside, NJApril 16, 2018
My experience at first transit is one of mixed views and emotions. First transit is comprised of many different companies that the parent company First Group has purchased. That is great for diversity however with acquiring those companies First Transit simply transfers those same cultures to a new operation and does not focus enough on instilling the core values of First Group at these new locations. First Group is a great organization but that greatness has to be funneled down throughout the ranks. Simply transplanting old practices and culture to new operations simply continues bad practices and strong holds. I truly believe that management development classes would go a long way within First Transit as an organization.
Pros
Diversity, relaxed working environment, good pay.
Cons
Benefits, organization, employee development
Poorly managed and stressful
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORAugust 31, 2018
This job has become quite stressful. Management is poor, employees are encouraged to report other drivers infractions, there is favoritism and intimidation. I enjoy my relations with most other drivers and my interactions with customers however. I have learned how to operate safely and efficiently. Typically I am exhausted by the time I get home from this stressful job.
Pros
Decent pay and benefits
Cons
Stressful and poor work schedule.
Stressful work environment for West Region
AGM - Operations (Former Employee) –  Orange County, CAOctober 19, 2018
The local team was great. Support from Regional Management was very lacking, basically, culture revolves only around "profits." Staffing and providing GM's with the proper tools to enhance the operation were subpar.
Pros
flexibility, freedom to manage the operation with new ideas.
Cons
poor executive leadership.
First Transit Houston
Dispatcher/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 21, 2018
I have had a successful work experience at First Transit. I had worked 32 years at my previous job as a Safety Coordinator at Goodyear Rubber Co. My day a First Transit is extremely busy and duties vary each day. The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to interact with all the employees each day. The first thing in the morning I check and enter passenger counts from all the run sheets from night time drivers. As new run sheets come in during the day time shifts, I keep those up to date. I make the schedule for the buses based on need for each hour of the day. I make sure that there are drivers to cover each shift daily. I am responsible for logging in items left on buses and trying to reach the owners, if possible.

I work 40 hours per week. I get off work at 11:30 a.m on Friday, so I am looking for a part-time position Friday evening through Sunday evening.
Pros
flexable schedule
Cons
no retirement benefits
Avoid this job unless you have nothing else to do.
Shuttle Driver (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJNovember 19, 2018
I worked with this office and when I needed medical attention after a NON-PREVENTABLE accident, the company turned their backs on me. They immediately saw me as a liability. They left me without income for almost a month nectar light duty "wasn't available". The job doctors wanted to send me back to standard work when I could barely walk and as unsafe as it was, the company allowed it.THEY PRIDE THEMSELVES ON SAFETY! KEEP THIS IN MIND! Their want for the $1.45 per trip meant more to them than my recovery. Worker's compensation STILL hasn't paid me nor did First Transit attempt to supplement my missing income. First Transit will demand as much of you as possible using every loophole they can find to keep you working. If you are prepared for the arduous of being their workhorse, enjoy it. Stick with it for a year and get out of there. If you have nothing else to do, then stay.
Pros
Income
Cons
No breaks, no company protection, no rotating seniority.
Cut through. Most mid level employees are nice . Yes Operations and maintenance employees get along well but when m
Maintenance Manage Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDJune 2, 2018
If upper maintenance management would communicate with operations management a lot of issues can be resolved. Protection from Newer operations management toward maintenance managers seams not to exist. Forcing maintenance employees to perform duties not related to their job descriptions become a major problem. The lack of Suport from Maintenance relational mangers make your job very difficult. No true fact finding resources are in place to truly protect the rights of employees.
Can be a great place to work . You must be accepted into the culture to susceed. Truth, honesty and hard work ethic are not a true value.
Pros
Good hard working people .
Cons
Don’t know we’re to start
Your a pawn to them
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Denver, COOctober 15, 2018
Where do I even start with these people? Management needs a serious attitude adjustment as many have superiority complexes. They will say that you are valued to your face, but in reality, you are just a pawn to them who they can run into the ground. Sure, there is a union, but they don't do much. There is a 95 percent turnover rate there. Must love split shifts and overtime to even partially survive here. Scheduling will push you to DOT maximum hours if you let them. This is contradictory to what they will tell you in training, to not burn yourself out. Overtime is mandatory here, so be careful and think twice about working here. Breaks can depend heavily on the route you get, traffic and weather, so, good luck on that.
Pros
Class B CDL training
Cons
Management, schedules, hours
answering incoming call,complete trip reservation process, determined the best method to assist customer.
reservationist (Former Employee) –  33-00 norther boulevardOctober 29, 2018
my typical day at work in first Transit we started at 7:00 am in the
morning. workers who has time there have their own seat, but there wa
many working workers that we have to exchange seat.

my work in First Transit was demonstrate my ability to provide superior
customer services.

my responsibilities communicating directly with customer over the telephone to schedule reservation, confirmation, answered, and inquiries.

I have good communication with my manager, supervisor and co-workers
and customers. working at first transit we having time to celebrate, every
Pros
we have all benefits
Cons
problem with the contract

Ask a question about working or interviewing at First Transit. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.6InHerSight Score

2.3Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

2.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight