FirstEnergy Employee Reviews

Awesome
Messaging & Collaboration Engineer/Developer (Former Employee) –  Reading, PAAugust 11, 2018
This is an awesome company to work for. I enjoyed the people and the place. they are great people to work with. Very smart and very helpful and miss working there
Management ruined a good place to work
Call Center Representative (Former Employee) –  Reading, PA 19605August 8, 2018
Constant turnover and feeling like I am undervalued while talking calls from irate customers is physically drowning.i was constantly rewarded for customer compliments weekly, and there was no moving me forward into the company. i felt used and stuck.
Pros
inbound calls with plenty of training
Cons
micromanagement
Good
Desktop Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Fairmont, WVAugust 7, 2018
I retired from First Energy. Everything went fine. I made money and supported my family. Thats what counts, I miss my coworkers and many of the clients.
Large coorporation that tries to stay intouch with employees
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Mon PowerAugust 6, 2018
Many professional and interpersonal groups and activities are leadership sponsored. The work varies each day due to the business being weather and customer driven. Its a good place to gain skills to become a strong leader for that next opportunity.
Pros
Variety of priorities and opportunities
Cons
On-call, around the clock, short staff, inexperienced staff
Fast-paced with some mandatory overtime
Customer Service Representive (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHAugust 4, 2018
This job is for a young person with no family obligations and no health issues. They are very strict with time off requests and sick days. It is fast-paced and breaks are strictly enforced.
Pros
Decent pay and overtime
Cons
No flexibility on sick days
Opportunities
IT Security Analyst (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHJuly 28, 2018
FirstEnergy's culture is slowly changing for the better. The managers that I have dealt with are open for discussions and a better way to conduct daily duties and the micro-managing is almost non-existent.
Great workforce and best management to work with ever in my 42 years here
Hazmap leader (Current Employee) –  Stratton, OHJuly 23, 2018
Safety is a priority here and management is on board with decisions and funds to correct about any issue ... we mitigate very well here but always end up getting things fixed properly
Pros
Great money and overtime
Cons
Coal is fading quick in valley hete
Progressive professional culture with strong safety focus
Professional (Current Employee) –  Shippingport, PAJuly 15, 2018
First Energy provides a progressive, professional work environment that allows for both personal and career advancement while maintaining high integrity of industrial safety, operational focus, and regulatory compliance. The culture relies and thrives on feedback from the worker through all levels of the organization to the senior leadership team and makes all people feel like an impactful member of the team.
Pros
Culture, Job satisfaction, Compensation
Cons
Expensive healthcare, Work/life balance
Good pay and good people
Advanced Customer Accounting Associate (Current Employee) –  Reading, PAJuly 12, 2018
The pay seems to be better compared to other companies. My immediate team that I work with are like family and others in the building are super friendly.
Cons
Not much room for advancement unless you're in the General Office in Ohio
Productive workplace.
Account Associate (Former Employee) –  Fairmont, WVJuly 12, 2018
A typical day was walking in and take about 80 phone calls a day. You handle a variety of calls from paying bills to relocating service. There is quality assurance and guidelines to follow for calls.
Productive and Hard Working
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHJuly 9, 2018
My typical day of work consists of working the phones, i learned communication and vocal skills.
The management was a bit strict but fair and the workplaces was dull, lacking in culture.
The Hardest Part was having enough time to take a lunch break before i have to get back to the phones and workplace emploees but the most enjoyable was having a cup of coffee and having a peaceful day
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
Short Breaks
limited time only part time position
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Perry, OHJuly 2, 2018
enjoyable , professional, safe place to work, well organized, I was treated with respect, well trained on equipment used and all was well maintained in prime working condition. very productive, and was well informed on the task at hand. I loved my job and very happy to perform my duties every day. my supervisor and co workers communicated with me and each other promptly and quickly so there were no mistakes made, or injuries on the job. we worked safely in a timely matter to perform our jobs. with assistance when needed.everyone was trained professionally with positive attitudes in which made coming to work very pleasuring, a lot of positive directions for all the employees I encountered and worked with. I wish my experience was a lot longer but considering it was only a part time position ,I wish I was hired for full time that's the only negative thing I can say about my experience there.
Pros
clean, safe work areas
Cons
part time job
Wonderful place for dedicated employees
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHJune 28, 2018
FirstEnergy is a fantastic place to work for individuals who have a serious work ethic and are committed to being there. Attendance is mandatory but the benefits are definitely worth it. I worked there for 17 years and I can not say enough good about the environment. Safety is a Way of Life and it shows as they are employers who truly care about their employees. Thank you FirstEnergy for all you had done to help support me and my family through those years.
Pros
I got to work four ten hour days which helped me since I had an hours drive to come into work
Cons
asa times were not a true reflection of a person's compacity
simle
SystemAdministrator/Application Developer (Former Employee) –  Reading, PAJune 28, 2018
enjoyed the people and atmosphere. The structure in their system was the best I've ever experienced. They have all their T's crossed and their i's dotted. It was amazing to be part of their team. It was a true learning experience.
A Good Company, Hamstrung By Regulation
Cyber Security Application Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHJune 25, 2018
FirstEnergy is a good company to work for. They do a good job of looking out for their employees and trying to allow them to influence the company's direction.
Unfortunately, federal and state regulations imposed on electric utilities mandate so much reporting and oversight (especially in the CyberSecurity arena) that it is not unusual to spend two to five hours documenting compliance for ever hour of actual work.
This overhead is a major contributing factor to FirstEnergy's financial problems. That and the cut-throat nature of the electrical utility business.
The other big problem at FE is IT salaries are kept low by HR's methodology for comparison - only comparing to other electric utilities
Pros
Subsidized Cafeteria at main locations, good work/life balance
Cons
Pricey health insurance
It was a phone interview
Contractual Corporate Business Analyst I (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHJune 25, 2018
It consisted of 2 phone interviews - one with the head of the department - the second with my supervisor. Pretty easy process all around. I would highly recommend this process to anyone, not too stressful.
Pros
1 hour break - Great work environment - Good parking - Flexible
Cons
Was a Contract - Sometimes monotonous work
slower paced,computer work
customer service (Former Employee) –  Red Bank, NJJune 22, 2018
this job was harder to get used to. there was a lot of chances for advancement within the company. most work was done on computers daily.,which the work was mostly sent to you by managers.
A company that works with its crew directly
Operator (Current Employee) –  Shinnston wvJune 21, 2018
This company listens to its employees. Its not a my way or highway attitude. All internal performance ideas are debated and addressed. Very open. If you have a concern or safety idea they even pay and reward folks for bringing ideas to the managers.
Pros
On the job training, 8 hour shifts, great communication between crew and management, safe
Cons
Downsizing some to combat costs
Fast Paced - Fair
Billing Representative/ Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Reading, PAJune 19, 2018
fast paced job, great training, management was fair, long hours of mandatory overtime during special situations. public facing, good coworkers, adequate tools to complete job tasks
Intern
Professional Co-op / Intern (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHMay 31, 2018
I had fairly good experiences at both co-op/intern rotations at FirstEnergy. Although I have had some difficulty with the co-op program, the company was a joy to work for.