FirstEnergy Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Productive and a great work place
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Brecksville, OHOctober 17, 2018
One of my favorite jobs. Too bad it was a six month contract job. I would love to work there again. I had an amazing boss and great team members. I had a perfect schedule. Monday through Friday 9 to 5.
Great coworkers
Reactor Operator (Current Employee) –  Perry, OHOctober 11, 2018
Great benefits however a lot of work hours due to being short staffed. Very good salary and compensation which is the upside to working rotating shift work.
Don't work Here
Network Operations Technician (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHOctober 9, 2018
I worked as a contractor for First Energy. They like to bring in contractors to do their work while they do nothing let lay off the contractor. First Energy is continuously calls me every 3-6 months looking for someone to fill their contract position.
Pros
No Pros
Cons
Slave conditions until your let go
You have to be really into it.
Senior Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHOctober 8, 2018
Very dry culture. Not fun, very standard, very boring business. Expectations are less than other companies, so not very challenging. But I am not an engineer.
Pros
they try to engage employees
Great management, not so great customers
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Fairmont, WVOctober 7, 2018
Management was really hands-on and helpful. You always had someone available to ask questions to, and they really seemed to care about each person. They were a bit obsessed with safety, to the point of being over the top, such as not being allowed to walk and talk on the phone. You are only allowed to stand in a single place to talk on the phone, it was a strongly enforced rule, as were all the over the top safety rules. Of course the biggest issue was the customers. Being that you are dealing with people's electric accounts, most calls were angry people. If you can tolerate being yelled at all day it can be a good job, but I found it too mentally exhausting.
Slow promotion if supervision doesnt like you (They can be petty).
Transmission System Operator (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHOctober 5, 2018
Employees feel valued technically. Management is archaic It can take a long time to achieve supervisor status. Layoffs are used often to cut costs. Layoffs do not generally affect Transmission operations, but morale suffers.
Pros
Good training program.
Cons
Financialdifficulties.
Micro manage- stay away
meter reader (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MDOctober 5, 2018
This should have been a great stable job but if you want to be micro managed and have ridiculous demands they put on you all while using your own vehicle which will get beat with the places you have to go then go ahead and apply.
If you are not one of the supervisors "pets" then you will be given all the junk work. I worked in meter reading and this was the case. You will be watched like a hawk and yes, they even spy on you out in the field. I would not recommend working here at all
Pros
decent pay
Cons
micro manage everything
Good people, good benefits, no real vision for the future
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Greensburg, PAOctober 2, 2018
Strong safety commitment
Treats employees well
Good benefits
Somewhat gutless and with no commitment to the generation side of the business
Too much corporate debt
Productive and safe when I worked there.
Maintenance, Production Foreman, Boiler Engineer, (Former Employee) –  Stratton, OHOctober 2, 2018
The workplace culture was enjoyable with the union employees. Knowledgeable. The plant operators were very well trained. Most of the management supervisors retired therefore very little supervisory knowledge was passed down. Safety was very good and this was controlled by the union.
Pros
close to home
Cons
management
Face Paced hig stress work environment
Mechanical Maintenance Superintendent (Current Employee) –  Shippingport, PASeptember 28, 2018
The work is high paced and stressful. The emphasis is placed on perfection, and nothing else is accepted. There is little room for thinking outside the box, and all work is done by procedure or company process/policy. Many of the company initiatives are antiquated with little contemporary thinking.
Pros
Excellent compensation and benefits
Cons
Process Driven, antiquated
inbound call center for the electric company, with great opportunities for advansment.
CSR III (Former Employee) –  Reading, PASeptember 25, 2018
Taking inbound calls to assist customers with their questions and conserns, help reslove past due accounts by taking payments or arranging future payments.
Management is always there with assistance when needed, and is willing to lend a hand for your future growth with the company.
Team building activies that can give you a strong bonding contection with co-workers that can develop into long lasting friendships.
Pros
no weekends, co-workers, a company you can advance with
Cons
working 16 hours through strom mode
Bad pay
Collections Representative (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WVSeptember 24, 2018
9.00 an hour isn't enough for a call center representative! Especially for a collections department rep. Training could have been longer before sending us straight to the floor.
Pros
When working o/t they bought lunch and or breakfast
Cons
Money, shifts, people
No commitment to finding best talent
Temporary House & Yard Laborer (Former Employee) –  Shippingport, PASeptember 20, 2018
Interviewed for an operator position. Passed the entrance exam and interview was positive. I was informed I was on the short list, but then was informed that I did not get the position because I was over-qualified and the manager feared I would leave the position for opportunities more suited to education.
Teamwork
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHSeptember 19, 2018
Overall "team" atmosphere. Some room for advancement but mostly for ones in the 21-35 age group. Great group of people and well diversed company. Good company to work for.
Sad
Advanced generation specialist (Current Employee) –  OhioSeptember 5, 2018
Found out on Facebook they announced they are closing the plant I work at . Poor planning on repairs. Zero preventative maintenance all reactive Spending as little as possible on plants to keep them limping along for years
Pros
Well paid
Cons
Benefits are terrible
Cushy Co-op Position
Engineering Co-op (Former Employee) –  Greensburg, PAAugust 31, 2018
I really enjoyed my co-op experience with the company, but what department you end up in really can make or break the experience. Pay is great for cost of living in the Greensburg area, and though this necessitates the occasional commute to Ohio, the location to me was a far better fit and worth that drive. The people I worked with were friendly and supportive. However, I personally felt a bit understimulated.
Great work environment
Supply Chain Buyer (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHAugust 22, 2018
Great work environment, but uncertain future for jobs or advancement. Very helpful co-workers, responsive supervisors, flexible with time off from work.
Relaxed yet productive work environment
Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Maidsville, WVAugust 22, 2018
As an intern they covered my rent since I had to relocate. All other employees were willing to help ant way they could. However, there was no way for me to apply for full time employment internally.
Pros
Relocation Stipend, Helpful Coworkers, Decent Management
Cons
Early Start & Useless Morning Meetings
Cool
Call Center Representative (Former Employee) –  Reading, PAAugust 18, 2018
I wake up every morning pumped to walk into work... sounds cliché, but so true! The culture is unlike any company I've come to work for or interviewed for. Everyone in the Glassdoor community is truly genuine and extremely helpful in all aspects. Upper management will help you focus on your next career steps, in setting up mentorships and having one-on-ones to meet your goals. Since I've started as an OSR (only about 3 months ago) 3 of my teammates have been promoted so growth in the company can be fast and is expected.
We moved into a new office on Fulton Market, which is completely beautiful with a great view of the city.
Your coworkers will become family!
Worst Energy or Last Energy
Transmission system Operator (Former Employee) –  Fairmont, WVAugust 16, 2018
Those are more appropriate names for this company!! I really don't know where to begin. Unless you're willing to be miserable everyday you are better off working somewhere else.