FIRSTLIGHT FEDERAL CREDIT UNION Employee Reviews

Went well
Member Service Representative (Current Employee) –  El Paso, TXAugust 1, 2019
I love working for Firstlight but I need to find a job where it is closer to my home. Firstlight is a very family oriented company they always have training on site management works with you if you alphabetical any questions or don’t under stand
Favoritism, Unprofessional, Poor Culture
Employee (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXJuly 14, 2019
It all starts at the top. Total disconnect. Total lack of fairness and respect. They give us all these surveys, but nothing changes. No one takes accountability or ownership. Things are always changing. No one has your back.

Customers are treated great, but employees always get the short end of the stick.

Human Resources is a bunch of untalented, uneducated people that do nothing all day except look for dress code violations.
Pros
Pay and benefits are decent
Cons
Lack of support; Unfair; Poor Culture; Human Resources has no idea what they are doing
Narcissist company
Personal Financial Representative II (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXApril 5, 2019
First light started out as a really good employeer to be working for. I was making good money as a part time MSR making as much as a full timer because of the capless incentives. In January 2018 that all changed. They added a cap of $300 per month and you have to meet a rediculous score card to even get close to that. Going from $650 extra a month to $200 was discouraging and all because of "their business direction" GTFOH. HR is not about employees and neither is the company itself. It's all business and you're just a number. I would not recommend working here . Tellers get paid terribly compared to banks.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Pay, support, management, development
Meh
Member Service Representative II (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXApril 4, 2019
People leave all the time. They get burned out so they leave. I worked at a branch where tellers and bankers left weekly and they dont replace people that quickly so it places a burden on those there because of the understaffing the way they do things is so upside down. For many though its an ideal place to work. I guess they just learn to become numb to it . They use use use you and never treat you well and they are very comfortable always asking for more. The pay sucks. PROCEED WITH CAUTION.
Pros
Its a way to earn a paycheck
Cons
No breaks, no you time, no happy
Great people to work with, breakroom felt like family kitchen
Teller I (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMMarch 15, 2019
I learned a lot while working with Firstlight, I picked up Spanish very well and learned so much about the diversity of the people who live in Las Cruces. We had out busy weeks towards the end of the month when, but we all worked as a team to get through those tough days.Management was very understanding in almost all situations, they worked around my family emergencies and provided me with a flexible schedule.
Full time (Current Employee) –  El Paso, TXAugust 14, 2018
This is great place to work. The environment is good. HR is really showing that they are doing their best to accommodate work/life balance. Lots of fun employee involvement and teamwork all over.
management does not what they are doing
Direct Loan Processor III (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXJuly 16, 2018
Avoid too much favoritism by management. Still needs more improvement by management. FLFCU over loads employees with work and expect miracles and eventually you could get fired.
It all trickles down from the top
Personal Financial Representative (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXMay 15, 2018
The culture of the company has changed within the last 2 years that I was with them. It all comes from the top. I had been there over 5 years to know how much the company has changed. Management seem to have favoritism which determined who was able to get promoted or not. They picked and chose who to advance onto another department or promote.
Pros
Benefits and Recognition
Selective Growth Opportunities
Assistant Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXApril 30, 2018
Promotions are often based on networking and personality traits over merit. Although this method to promote is often beneficial, it narrowly targets a specific and select group for management, which can impede creativity and hinder growth.
Pros
Benefits are good to excellent
Cons
Management personnel can be challenging
Great opportunity for Incentives
OVERDRAFT PRIVILEGE RECOVERY SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXFebruary 3, 2018
Firstlight gave me the opportunity to understand lending, I appreciative for that. The Branch environment is very busy. Management needs improvement. Culture was great. The most difficult was not becoming accustomed to their guidelines. Most enjoyable were my peers.
Pros
Incentive opportunity
Cons
little opportunity for growth within the company
If I wasn't a science major, I would stay with FirstLight forever.
Teller I (Current Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMNovember 7, 2017
As a member owned credit union, FirstLight makes it the first priority to give back to the community around it. I heard this when I met the CEO of the company my second day of training, as he does with all new employees. This type of value system translates perfectly to the workplace. They give you the best benefits package possible, which kicks in after 90 days of employment (Except PTO and 401K, which kick in immediately and after two years, respectively). They make sure that you get bonuses and incentives for success, as well as plenty of training.
This isn't to mention the employees themselves though. Within the first month I worked there, I felt like I had made some lifetime friends already. The first two weeks of training at the administrative branch were incredible: everyone smiled and said hello in the hallways, people talked about how much they loved their job, and could be heard joking and laughing frequently. I have never felt like a company cared about me before joining the FirstLight Family, and it has felt like just that ever since. I have different plans in my life other than finance, but this company makes me want to drop all of that for them at times. And I'm just a teller doing the same stuff every day, but with the atmosphere and people I could care less. Its an incredibly good feeling to work for a company that actually does good for the world, and I couldn't respect them more.
Pros
Benefits, atmosphere, discounts, values, pay
Cons
Angry customers, moderate advancement opportunity
Helped others with their financial needs.
Teller II (Current Employee) –  El Paso, TXSeptember 21, 2017
On a daily basis performed transactions for members to receive or save money. One must pay much attention to the needs the members might need in order to be financially set in life, so that we can refer other products or services that would benefit each one of them. Supervised about 10-15 tellers in making sure that transactions were performed accurately and in a timely manner, made sure that all tellers would balance out after a day of performing transactions, mentored all tellers to cross sell other products and services in order to meet their monthly quota, balance our branches vault and made sure all paper work is correct and done for each closing day.
Benefits
Cons
No movement, no room to grow
productive and nice place to work.
Operation Support Center Lead (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXDecember 28, 2016
Very nice place to work, good environment , team work, when a customer calls with a problem example, we charged twice for a check and able to do the research find the error, call the customer explained what happened and resolved the problem, see or hear the customer satisfied. Main thing I like is Customer Service is priority. Customer is always right. A typical day at work when we send a file to Federal Reserve but before we send it, we have to make sure it is in balance, is a large file we have to send it before 3 p.m. if we out of balance we help each other and find the error. The hardest part of the job is when they requesting time off and somebody else requested same days before, we have to denied the request for another day.
Pros
They give us bonus, free turkey, days off, dinner for Christmas.
interesting work, sale focused,
Teller I (closing teller) (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXJune 23, 2016
Clock in and relieve opening tellers
sell excess cash to vault from the previous night
conduct financial transactions
verify checks- place/release holds
analyze accounts for cross selling opportunities
buy currency from the vault
scan and balance checks and bonds
balance my cash drawer
run nightly report and verify with management
clock out
Pros
fast paced, interesting, laid back job
Cons
very sell oriented and managers gave different, sometimes conflicting, answers to questions
They are not employer of choice
Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Administrative building Kenworthy, El Paso, TXApril 27, 2015
There is no work-life balance, the HR department is over worked and lacks leadership. No training is ever given to any personal of the HR team you are left to your own knowledge and abilities. It was a disappointment to work for this company. Technical problems are taken out on all employees by disgruntled members.
Pros
Cons
no work life balance, no leadership, no opportunities for advancement
Great Experience.
Drive-thru Teller (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXNovember 2, 2014
Loved talking to members. Loved meeting monthly sales.
Disliked that was always rushed in drive-thru, instead of allowing me to take my time to minimize mistakes to zero. Made many friendships.
Pros
Great benefits.
Cons
Cross-sells per month kept increasing.
Was a great place to work for 23 years
Mortgage Lending (Former Employee) –  9983 Kenworthy, El Paso, Texas 79924September 14, 2013
Worked 8 to 5 Monday to Friday and some Saturdays. I was the only mortgage person in the department for 5 years. I learned all facets of mortgage lending in a short time. I have kept up on the changes in mortgage lending,