Firstmed Ambulance

Firstmed Ambulance Employee Reviews

Firstmed Ambulance insights

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Overall satisfaction
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

Great place to start your medical career

This is a company where you can better yourself. Highly recommended for new EMTs who want to learn the ropes of the rig and the corridors of healthcare. Many walk in and out, or in and out and back in (an industry problem), but if you want to be a good EMT and latter move somewhere with your medical career this is the place to stay for a few years. There is flexibility from management, they care for and want to work with quality employees. If you can’t do full time, chose part time or ask for 24 hours shifts. Learn the trade at your own pace, and don’t be afraid to ask questions. Explain your constraints and aspirations, you’ll get advice and support. Earn your place in the FIRSTMED family, and you will be treated well. From personal experience, working at FIRSTMED gave me a boost to knowledge and confidence, and made my resume look good. Much more so actually than I realized when I was working there. BTW the management is used to employee complaining - let’s face it, this is not an ideal industry - and takes it well, especially if you have a point. In retrospect, as a new LVN looking for good employment, I had the chance to appreciate my EMT experience much more. I could answer a lot of experience questions at interviews with “as an EMT” I did this and saw that. And I could walk in some facilities and smell the “bad air” from the door, no need to waist my time or risk my license working there. So if you are an EMT looking for a good place, give FIRSTMED a try. I did, and never regretted. The hours are long, the pay is … insufficient, but your’ll get a bunch of good -

Pros

Stable and friendly work environment, great learning opportunities (CCT transports, paramedics, diverse patient population)

Cons

Long hours, low pay. But that is everywhere in private EMS.

Ok company

Dispatchers suck, management sucks, scheduling sucks, hours suck, the people are cool and chill. You never get off on time and they take forever to give you the “promised” pay raise after your 90 days.

Pros

Chill coworkers

Cons

Everything else

So so

Run of the mill IFT company. Many EMTs are easy to work with and relatable in the sense that you're not staying there forever. Management is accommodating of your schedule and easy to talk to most of the time. You get some cool calls sometimes like 5150s and jail calls or pd backup. Most of the calls are discharges medical aids and dialysis so there's a good variety. However, there are cons. Many of the rigs are not well kept with expiring certifications, mechanical issues, and problems that come with high mileage. When covid first hit there were ppe shortages, pulse oximeters were (and still are) missing from units, and heavy understaffing. Overall though if you want to get a start on ems with practicing patient assessment, o2 admin, and documentation, this is a good start!

Pros

Part time, many friends, foot in the door

Cons

Parking bad at station 1 on weekdays, faulty rigs, no equipment

7 months at company

I have worked at FirstMed for 7 months now and I have received two certificates of appreciation for simply being myself. I have spoken to the president himself in the bay where he just asked how I was doing. I always walk into HRs office (Sorry if I bug) but she is always attentive and willing to listen to what I have to say I have never once been dismissed. (Station mom) for sure. I work out of the Station 1 location sometimes the shifts are long and you get held over but I do get a variety of calls its not your same standard call. Every shift I am learning something. They do a lot of monthly events and allow staff to become FTOs and other positions.

Pros

Can speak to management anytime. Time off is almost always approved

Cons

Parking is a pain sometimes

great place to start out

it is a good place to start out at. I am new as an emt and i interviewed a lot of companies near by and this one stood out the most. I just passed 90 day probation and received my badge. Dispatch is cool and management is supportive of my schools schedule.

Pros

company bbqs

Cons

pay is low

Would you rate your company five stars?

Rate your employer to help people make better career decisions.

Professional and Positive Work Environment

If you come with the right attitude, this is the perfect job to get a professional working environment with competitive pay and still have the freedom and flexibility to advance in your career and/or education. I have had positive experiences with every EMT-B, Paramedic, RT, and RN at this company. I have 10 years of experience as a paramedic mostly 911. They really emphasize good paramedic training that promotes a healthy balance of education without micro-managing. It's a great opportunity to get competitive pay without forfeiting precious time with family and still paying the bills. I very much appreciate this place, have experienced many opportunities on and off shift, and made some great friends along the way.

Pros

Competitive pay on 24 hour shifts...beautiful

Cons

Not much OT but not much needed

Equipment bad people good

You learn a lot working here because you have so much time with patients. It gets pretty repetitive so you might get bored doing this job but just remember its a stepping stone.

Pros

cool people

Cons

poor equipment

Not worth it at all

Owner spends your raise money on exotic cars that are stored in the ambulance parking lot. Management didn’t care about employees except for what makes them money

Pros

School schedule

Cons

Everything else

Many hours available to work, but would you want to?

This place is not fun to work at. Expect to get long hours, be held over your shift, deal with incompetent management that breaks promises to employees and refuses to maintain their ambulances. The company culture- employees are cheap and replaceable. Complain about being mistreated or your low wages and you may be fired. This leads to a lot of unhappy and stressed employees that are forced to keep their grievances to themselves until they find better opportunities elsewhere. This company is also known for punishing employees that try to leave. There are some managers that will sabotage former employees, especially if they leave to a different ambulance company, by badmouthing them as much as possible (they hate to lose employees to their competitors.) So be careful which supervisor you list as a reference when you leave..

overworked underpaid

good job for some one beginning EMS but other than that a waste of time. Never get off on time and run way too many calls. Dispatchers will favorite rigs located in sun valley rather than long beach..

Great Company (Good Work and Life Balance)

I have seen this companies rapid growth. They are one of the most understanding out there. They work with students school schedules are understanding and management is always there to listen. They push their staff to grow and encourage staff to go after things like FTO and Crew Chiefs so there is always opportunities to make more money without jumping from company to company. They understand that people have a life outside of work and try their best to keep the balance. Once you clear training they try and schedule you with someone more senior then you are so that you are more confident in your abilities. You get a variety of calls, Work place is great! MOST WELL BALANCED COMPANY I HAVE EVER WORKED AT!

Great Steeping Stone Company

Helps Start Path in EMS. If you are looking for somewhere to start, in order to gain experince and confidence FirstMed will do just fine. Would highly recommend as a first EMS job.

Great new ALS program with top end pay!

Firstmed is one of the newer ALS programs in LA County and their management does a great job of working closely with their staff to ensure operations are carried out at the highest level. The front office takes employee feedback seriously and will do everything they can do make sure your day goes by smoothly. Coming into work with a mature and professional attitude does not go unnoticed by management and results in a stable and secure work environment. Firstmed offers all the industry standard company perks along with flexible scheduling for people who are in school or other activities outside of work. There is plenty of overtime to be had which ranges from extra shifts in the field to standby assignments at film shoots and sporting events. Long story short, the positive work environment combined with some of the best pay available make Firstmed a great new program to establish yourself with.

Pros

Respectful management with open communication, high pay, flexible schedules.

Cons

None so far!

Great calls, great experience, great facilities, but better people!

I have worked as a field EMT for 6 years at 4 different companies and by far Firstmed Ambulance if the best company. The experience EMTs gain running the diverse types of calls here are exciting, informative, and really makes one feel like they Really made a difference in the community. Types of calls ran many 5150s, medical aids from from private residences, b&c, SNF, Jails, flight crews, still alarms, or back up 911 (especially during fire season in LA). EMTs build there critical thinking skills here because most of the time your first on scene and are medical athority so you must make the decision for what's best for PT ( call fire? Scoop and go? Mar or specialty hospital.? PD assist? ALS?). The company trains and trust their EMTs to go out everyday and help people, respect their opinions with a great open door policy, company BBQs, works with school schedule, and is actually in front of you whenever you need something. The 2 stations are beautiful with 2 kitchens, 24s private rooms, clean bathrooms, a gym, nice units, own mechanic. But honestly the real charm of this place is the people, I've n very felt such a family vibe anywhere. Everyone knows each other and the owner and managers really get to know each EMT in a genuine whole hearted manner. EMTs are always open to help new EMTs a very friendly environment. I love working for Firstmed ambulance! The experience I've gained, friends I've made, contacts I've built, and memories I have shared make Firstmed the best company for any new or salted EMT who wants love work again. Give it a shot!

Very good company with many learning opportunities

I have worked with firstmed ambulance for 2 years and throughout that time I dont have anything bad to say about this company. Started out as a 19 year old inexperienced emt fresh out of school. Got the best field training officer(FTO) and learned a ton, stayed attendant for year and half and then moved up to driver and Now an FTO. I think it's one of the best companies out there. A lot of room for growth within the company. Pros- (there are many but here are a few) ● they hire inexperienced young emts and teach so much that will be carried with the emt throughout their careers, ●There are opportunities to move up within the company over time, ●It really feels like a family in the way that no one goes through hard times alone and there is always someone to talk to, ●The types of calls one will get throughout a shift will be different everyday. I have yet to have the same day twice we are always in new areas. You will get very good navigating around LA county without need of GPS, ●The people we come in contact with and get the chance to help on a daily basis is very rewarding. From medical aids(minor to serious situations)- psych transfers-discharges-long distance transports-CCT- and once in blue moon dialysis, ● FM works around school schedules and offers various shifts with various start times (8-10-12-24 hour shifts), ● Power gurneys and newer rigs Cons- Pay is not the greatest but its comparable to the companies out there. Emt is not the best paying job but with all the overtime opportunities it makes up for it.

Pros

Hire inexperienced and teach, many opportunities to move up, family feeling, various calls and experiences, works around school schedules

Cons

Low pay

Best Working Experience

This is a great company to work for. Overall very happy to be part of FirstMed team. I'm a Respiratory Care Practitioner here. Had an opportunity to work for other companies too. Will not go back.

Strong highs , Unbearable lows

Let’s start with the good; the company offers a ton of OT, you get very accommodating management who I feel can relate and provide excellent help, the company has events each month for employee appreciation, there is no micromanagement, you get your feet drenched in EMS experience (for IFT companies), and the fellow EMTs are for the most part excellent. I’ve referred a friend to work here. For the bad... the OT is not optional, you are scheduled an “off time” but it is irrelevant because they will keep you as long as they need, there is no 401k, no direct deposit and your checks aren’t ready till 5PM on a Friday, the benefits are expensive and not worth it, raises do not occur, dress code is very strict, and if you as an EMT deny a call ordered by dispatch due to unsafe conditions they will throw a fit and usually assign someone else. So really weigh your pros and cons when thinking of it. I believe it’s a good job because it satisfies my bills for now and my schedule is great.

Pros

Experience and OT

Cons

Company tendencies and OT

I Don’t think any other ambulance company can compete with how amazing firstmed is

Started here as a call taker moved up to lead dispatch and I also get field time as an EMT here and there with this said there is plenty of opportunity for growth within the company. On top of that management is great from communications supervisor to HR, Operations managers to the actually owners who are there and actually care about the EMTs. Management also makes firstmed feel like a family with their open door policies you can go up to anyone in management and speak your mind and never get turned down. The people here are great to work with such a good atmosphere at all times. Now to be brutally honest the people who have bad experiences with firstmed are the ones that hate their job, sandbag calls, suck at patient care, or always try to go home early,call out sick all the time etc. so In other words they have no one to blame but themselves for the bad experiences firstmed goes very far to accomadate every single employees needs. Firstmed is a great place to work but like everything you have to put in the work nothing will be handed to you. It’s a privilege to work at firstmed ambulance. (If I sit here and mention everything great about firstmed I’d have a 3 page essay)

Cons

Non what so ever

Great environment to learn skills as a new EMT.

I had the wonderful opportunity to work with great EMT partners who helped along the way to sharpen my skills as a new EMT. It was a great learning experience.

Good Memories

I have nothing but good memories at FirstMed. If you like to work hard, this is the place for you. Everyone from management on down are all very cool for the most part. They care at least!

Pros

the people

Cons

not much

They work around your schedule

I worked here for almost two years while I was finishing up school. I would pick up 24 hour shifts when I could. The hours are there for the taking, or not, depending on your life. Thank you for that!

Pros

lots of hours, management listens

Cons

nothing that you wouldn't encounter at any other job on earth

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Firstmed Ambulance. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Firstmed Ambulance