Fitbit Employee Reviews

Exodus
Electrical Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Francisco Bay Area, CAJune 30, 2018
Used to be a good place to work. Smart co-workers and interesting products. Now mass exodus. Everyone who can is leaving. Daily and weekly resignation announcement. Low morale. Company with no direction. Lack of leadership. CEO not capable of leading. No clear direction or communication to employees.

Projects constantly start and terminated. Waste of time and money. Alarming number of people leaving. Over 50% of my team has resigned since Jan.1.
Pros
Unlimited vacation, cool products
Cons
Lack of leadership at CEO level. Employee morale low. People leaving daily. Mass exodus
productive work place
Fitbit project (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 5, 2018
We discovered the market trend for Fitbit and explored the likelihood of success in the market as so many technical products arise in the market, Fitbit needs to change their business model so they can move forward.
great place to work
Training Program Manager (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 7, 2018
the teams are welcoming, they want you to jump in and work. Flexible with work and life balance. Still very much a start up feel, where multiple teams are not communicating. Some over management at times.
Fun and Productive Work Environment
Associate QA Test Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 18, 2018
- A great place to work
- Diverse employees
- Friendly and clean
- Startup vibes all around
- Stocked fridges
- The management was alright but does need a bit of work
Fun, fast-paced environment with friendly co-workers.
Shipping Clerk (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 12, 2018
it was a fast paced environment with friendly co-workers who support and care about you and each other. The only bad thing was when we got a new manager, he literally stood over us, watched and clocked us shipping clerks. If you went too slow, you got let go.
Pros
once-a-week free lunch, paid breaks
Cons
bad management
Fun Place to work in but no work-life balance
QA Analyst (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 20, 2018
Fun Place to work in, flexible env. , bright people , fully stocked kitchen and transparent management
but absolutely NO work-life balance,always tight deadlines that requires to work late
Great!
Senior Marketing Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 17, 2018
Fitbit is a fantastic company and a great place to work for. The perfect blend of innovation and serendipity of company culture. Would highly recommend.
Great and exciting workplace
QA Tester/VIP Pack out Lead (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 5, 2018
I had a lot of fun while working at Fitbit. I met a lot of great people and the work that I did there was very meaningful. Fitbit really takes care of their employees by providing healthy snacks.
Good place with ups and downs
Engineering Change Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 4, 2018
I had a good time working at Fitbit; though my experience was an interesting one. Like with most companies, the smaller you are, the more room for career advancement. I think that's where a ton of the frustration came from- people felt stagnant near the end of my 4 years at the company. Still a much better workplace than most.

Workplace culture is great, I always felt supported. Doesn't go far in terms of diversity, but aside from that, things were easy-going but serious.

Hardest part about my job was the morale levels in early 2017. It was tough to see everyone who had given so much to the company leave.
Pros
stipend for the gym
Cons
morale was tough
Challenging Job
Salesforce Administrator (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CADecember 27, 2017
This was challenging role. There was too few examples cross team support and too often the distrust between different teams would complicated a project for reasons outside the scope the workspace.
Pros
It was a fun place to work with mid-day workouts and a genuine admiration for the product they sell.
Cons
Room for cultural improvement
Great Company with Growing Pains
Lab Manager (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 22, 2017
Fitbit has established itself as a big player in the wearable technology market and it was great to be a part of its growth. I got to see the company before and after IPO. The work can be challenging or extremely boring, depending on the team. Management was pretty good, though clear paths for career advancement and mentorship were lacking. Culture is pretty isolated to teams, though it depends on how social you are. Being in downtown San Francisco is a blast, though it is very impractical for an engineering company to be so far away from other industrial suppliers.
Pros
Location, benefits, discounts, interesting products
Cons
Management, culture, career advancement
Very Poor management
Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 4, 2017
Fitbit Managements are really poor. Actually, they have not any technical understandings and strategic planning for manufacturing tests. The hardest part of the job was management failed to understand the technicality. As a result, Engineering communication was always in crisis mode! The workplace culture was changed in the negative direction. I'm glad that I left!
Pros
free coffee
Cons
worst management
Hard job to do
Tier II Technical Support (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 2, 2017
Overall, not a bad place to work. I only had experience with customer support and it wasn't the job for me. Working was monotonous and stressful which is why I decided not to pursue this career.
Pros
Free lunchs, ping pong
Cons
short breaks, working holidays
great if you like the product
Fraud analyst (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 26, 2017
not my cup of tea, im oly writting the review because i cant continue without doing so. a job is a job and a career is a career do what makes you happy
Dead end company
Long term contractor (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 15, 2017
Awful management in many departments, ranging from simple incompetence to toxic management.

They lost the culture that made them special soon after going public. Now they are a lifeless company struggling to stay relevant and dreaming of being like their tech giant competitors.

When I started the company was about free and expensive goodies, lavish parties, and wildly varying compensation. By the time I left almost all of the major perks had gone. Not that perks are a reason to work somewhere, but in the course of a year they went from over-spending on everything, to getting increasingly stingy.

Only work here if you are just starting out. There are much better options in larger, established companies or younger startups.
a good place to work with
IT Security Acct Mgmt and IT Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 15, 2017
ppl are young and aggresive and helpful, most of the Tech travels not only locally but internatinally (but base on their job task).

There's always food in the break room. but lunch was cut out but there's still happy hour.
Pros
none to say
Cons
they removed the free lunch
Productive and Fun Place to Work
Reliabiltiy / Component Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 11, 2017
A very rewarding work environment that presents an opportunity for the working professional engineer to grow and excel in the technology field of wearables. Fitbit has recently moved to new offices in downtown San Francisco that are nothing short of luxurious.
Pros
Free Food and Drinks
Cons
Not enough experience combating entrenced competition
Passionate developers, blocked by poor management
Technical Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 9, 2017
Working at Fitbit for 3 years, I've seen some smart talented peers. The majority of non-managers were passionate about health, fitness and making customers happy.

Good:
1. Really passionate employees (below manager level)
2. Can wear workout clothes
3. Good location (Embarcadero)

Needs Improvement
The issue comes with very poor management, especially when it comes to making big decisions. Common things:

1. Shipping products that aren't done

2. Say you'll patch old issues in order to ship a product, and then never address it because the previous owner of the product/feature has already moved on to the next thing that needs to be rushed out the door

3. Compensation is well below average for the area, though benefits are pretty good

4. Overall, short-term gain is prioritized with managers and above, and this hurts products in the long term

5. Career advancement is non-existent. It is an afterthought to allow employees to grow into new or more advanced roles, rather it's all about shoving a new (poorly decided) product/feature

6. Employees opinions on the product aren't taken seriously, even though PLENTY of data from departments specifically made to gather that information (Customer Support for customers, Beta testing for internal employees).

7. Talented employees looking to go into different departments, but unable to due to culture of "I only want to ship my product, I don't have time to help others." Short-sighted because it helps those teams to have newcomers that already know the ecosystem.

8. HR is poorly structured and is consistently
  more... understaffed. Has by far the most turnover, which is the last department you'd want that to happen to

9. Lots of turnover, with higher ups more concerned about backfilling rather than addressing why people are leaving in the first place

10. Because of the culture of "I only care about my immediate team's workload", cross-department teamwork is bad. This means that a feature that needs 5 departments cooperating doesn't work because no one is aligned or communicating. Many times, one team finishes implementing their portion, and shove it to the next department with no advanced warning and saying they need it done in an unrealistic amount of time
Pros
Happy hours
Cons
Poor compensation, Mismanagement across the board, poor leadership decisions, lack of employee growth
Company has a great culture, with lots of great energy.
Market Development Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 27, 2017
A day in the life of Fitbit, was pretty active. Always looking for ways to promote and train on the trackers. The best part was getting free Fitbits to wear.
Innovative product category
Director (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 12, 2017
Company full of very talented people. They have been hiring great talents for the last 2 years. Unfortunately, the wearable space remains uncertain and so is the future of the company.