FitSmallBusiness.com Employee Reviews

As Promised & More
CMO (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 10, 2018
Fit Small Business is a super fast growing organization. It's exciting to see peoples growth in promotions and responsibility happen so fast here.

The company is all about meritocracy and you can see this based on how the Co-founders and CEO will want to hear from everyone, irrespective of your title.

Teams are highly collaborative and necessary when things are moving so fast.

Compensation and benefits are great but be prepared to give it your all 1000% of the day every day to thrive here.

You will learn a lot from so many smart people here
Pros
Lots of Snacks and food. Great culture and transparency, Flex hours- coming in early leaving early
Cons
With things moving so fast be organized to handle the day to day, and the strategy planning at the same time
Marc Waring Ventures is the Owner of Fit Small Business - Great Place to Work Remote!
Remote Writer (Current Employee) –  RemoteJune 29, 2018
Each week I'm assigned articles to write and required to meet a points goal. Where I work, when I work, how I work -- that's all up to me. That makes it like being a freelancer with a full-time job and full-time pay and benefits.

The culture is fabulous, led by two cool startup business owners who value ideas from their staff, promote from within and create a vibe based on what they're excited about each week.

It's fun to be with a fast-growing start up!

The best, and also the hardest part of the job, is learning new things every day -- whether it's SEO or learning about a new vendor.
Pros
Cool productivity tools, fun people, flex schedule & remote.
Cons
Sometimes its hard to keep up with the smartness of my peers!
Great place to work from home
Staff Writer (Current Employee) –  ArizonaJune 29, 2018
The workplace culture is defined by productivity and not by being in the office. I work from home and achieve set objectives each week. Management is open to ideas. Provides daily touchpoints and has given me any tools I needed, such as a new Chromebook or 2nd monitor.

What's most enjoyable for me is working with really smart motivated people who love what we're doing and how fast we're growing, and who also help whenever I run into an issue.

There are no silos. We use cool tools like Trello, Slack, Gdocs and Zoom.

As employees, we get to be ourselves, and our expertise is valued.
Pros
Great benefits, work from home, frequent contact and feedback. Fun co-workers.
Cons
Haven't been invited on a business trip to New York yet!
Fun and Supportive Company Culture, Opportunities to Advance
Performance Marketing (Current Employee) –  Fit Small BusinessJune 26, 2018
I've really enjoyed my time at Fit Small Business so far. In the year+ that I've been here, my day-to-day has changed as my responsibilities increased and I've been given opportunities to advance professionally.

Mentorship and learning new skills have been giant pluses for me. I was able to learn from upper management and leverage those skills for internal promotions. I've felt really encouraged by their support.

I work on a close-knit team with people based here in NYC as well as people who work remotely. Location aside, I have amazing working relationships with everyone. Working hard is so much easier when you enjoy the people you work with, and it's one of the reasons I enjoy coming into work every day.

Since everyone is working towards the shared goal of growing the company, our company culture really encourages collaboration vs competing for good favor with upper management. Since we've been growing and seeing lots of success, especially in the last few years, company morale has been high.

Hardest part of the job is making sure that we continue to work towards scalability (what works with a lithe team may not work as well with a larger team) but that's a fun challenge, all things considered. The most enjoyable parts of the job are career growth and the people I get to work with every day.

I'd say that lastly, health benefits, 401k matching, and flexible hours (some people come in slightly earlier and leave earlier, some people come in slightly later and leave later, etc) and office vibe all really stood out to me right from the start as huge pluses of
  more... working here.  less
Pros
Great benefits, great company culture, free snacks, room to advance and grow
Cons
Not your classic "cool startup" with ping pong tables or beer on tap.
Great Place for Writers & Small Business Enthusiasts
Finance Team (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 26, 2018
Fit Small Business offers writers & editors and fantastic opportunity to share critical information with the small business community. The writers here all come to the table with experience in the field they write about which means they are able to offer insights to small business owners that are far more useful than the usual stuff you see out there. And, for the writers, your voice and advice are amplified so that you're not just sharing a tip or trick with an acquaintance, you're sharing it with everyone who starts their search for an answer online. Not just that, but writers get an opportunity to dive into the topics that are most important in their field - conducting research and interviews - so that they're usually on the cutting edge of their industry. The staff is split between NYC and remote employees who work from home all over the US (and other parts of the world). The hardest part of the job is also the best part of the job - needing to learn and improve your skills day after day. Whether it's honing your writing skills, learning about online publishing, learning about marketing that material, or learning how to effectively monetize online content - writers and editors are pushed and encouraged to become the best out there.
Lots of Flexibility, Great Interaction with Leadership, Fantastic Environment
Copywriter (Current Employee) –  KentuckyJune 22, 2018
From the very beginning I was treated as a valued team member, even when the leadership knew very little about me. I started on a contract basis, and was hired as a permanent employee within a few weeks once it was clear I could do the work. Raises have come my way several times, and the benefits package is hard to beat. Finding a company that allows you to work remotely but still provides full benefits is a rarity indeed!!

The leadership is very open with the employees, holding weekly meetings to give everyone updates as well as being willing to hold one-on-one discussions when needed. We hear both the positive and the negative, and I've never felt that there were any secrets being kept from us, even those who aren't in the NYC office.

The company has grown exponentially since I started working here. There were perhaps 20 employees nationwide when I joined FSB, and as of this writing I believe we have about 75 globally. The growth has been extremely encouraging and it's exciting to be part of a company that is so obviously on an upward trend.

Working from home does have challenges but they are always very understanding of work/life balance. When a sudden need comes up with my husband or children, I have consistently been told "family comes first." All of the above just encourages me to work harder in appreciation of this great environment.

As for negatives, it's hard to be part of the employee culture without being in a physical office with everyone else, so if you are an extrovert you may feel a bit isolated.

Such rapid growth means you have to think on your
  more... feet, and you may get a great process in place only to have to change it a few weeks later. Not necessarily a bad thing, but can feel a little frustrating at times.

Making sure the different teams don't step on each other's toes is a challenge at times, when you have different ideas on how to tweak the same article or section of articles. Inter-departmental communication always has room for improvement.

In general, I don't view any of those as a deterrent, though.
Fast paced, exciting place to work
Managing Editor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 16, 2017
I've worked at Fit Small Business for about 2 years and enjoy working here. I come to the office excited to tackle my work for the day. I started as a writer and was promoted to editor after almost 1.5 years.

The management makes time to meet daily with most employees, so you have the ability to ask questions and learn from your manager. They especially work hard to make remote employees feel like a part of the team. There are daily video calls with remote employees. Although there are opportunities to learn and ask questions, managers will ask you tackle projects that may be new or unfamiliar to you, but that's the fun of working at a quick growing startup.

The management is also very creative at figuring out new growth opportunities for the company. I won't be surprised if we outgrow our current office space very soon! Remote employees are welcomed, and there are good benefits, including health insurance and a 401(k) plan with matching. The managers are flexible about vacation and allowing people to work remotely.

The only con is that sometimes there are too many people working on the same task, which limits your autonomy to resolve a problem or sometimes creates duplication of effort. It's a 'too many cooks' problem, but I think that will be resolved once the company grows and clearer divisions of responsibility are created among people and teams.
Pros
Challenging projects, fast growing company, work/life balance
Cons
Too many people assigned to same project sometimes
great place to work for
Digital Marketing Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 9, 2016
really enjoyed working here. The owners are super smart, the people at the office were great, and I learned a lot.
The only negatives I think would be the company culture itself, everyone got along, but it was kind of boring day to day.
Flexible Schedule, Good Bosses, and Exciting Business Growth
Business Writer/Software Reviewer (Current Employee) –  Lawrenceburg, INJuly 2, 2015
Working at Fit Small Business has been a great experience. I really enjoy the other employees, although because I work remotely I do not have much opportunity to get to know them too well. The bosses are great to work for as well. They treat their employees right and know when to lead and when to be more chill. The business has been growing by leaps and bounds, which is exciting. It is cool to be involved on the ground floor of a startup and to see how business growth works.

My favorite part of working for Fit Small Business is the flexible scheduling. I can basically work whatever schedule I want, as long as I have Wi-Fi and get my work done. I've travelled and worked several times before, and my wife and I really enjoy that flexibility.

My least favorite part is having to write on topics that I personally do not find to be that interesting/applicable to me. But, that just comes with the territory.
Pros
Flexible Schedule, Understanding Bosses, Good co-workers, Growing Business
Cons
Sometimes hard to know when the day ends (when I was full-time), no benefits
Flexible, Low-Stress environment, Great for learning and growing with the company.
Digital Marketing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 30, 2015
Pros:
Management and employees are friendly and nice. Management also seems to have a very good vision with realistic expectations for the company. Everyone is dedicated to their work, and it's everyone is willing to help out as needed with other projects. There is a lot of innovation and change constantly so there's always something new to do and learn. Incredibly flexible in your schedule for meetings, when you work your hours, etc.

Cons:
Understandably as a startup, compensation is relatively low. No benefits of any kind. Very little communication with other employees, you really don't know much about the people you work with, and no real discussion of how/when you will advance in the company, no performance reviews or overall feedback on job performance as a whole.

Most enjoyable part of the job is probably the constant learning combined with the flexibility of the schedule.

Hardest part of the job: Staying motivated

Overall a pretty good place to work, happy to be here.
Pros
Flexibile Hours, Work from home, Nice people
Cons
Relatively low compensation, no benefits, no company culture

Ask a question about working or interviewing at FitSmallBusiness.com. Our community is ready to answer.

4.9