Five Below Employee Reviews

Showing all 1,240 reviews
Childish
Freight Team Associate (Former Employee) –  Rochester Hills, MIDecember 7, 2018
Immature coworkers and sloppy and cut throat management who has it out for employees they don't like. This might sound personal, but I actually watched several good co-workers get pressured into quitting or were fired for being disliked by the manager. I quit once I found something better (it was anything at this point) and bailed before I became a target for no reason.
It was the best job I’ve ever had
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIDecember 4, 2018
I loved working at 5 below, I had an awesome experience throughout my time there. I loved the customers, the environment and the management, everything was just right.
Pros
Meeting nice people, and it being a cheap store, you could get a lot of things
Cons
None really
I'm so happy since I left
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Florissant, MODecember 4, 2018
This company really is a "who you know, not what you do" buisness. Very unorganized upper management, there is no work life balance at Five Below. Retail isn't for everyone, but working here for 5 years litterally sucked the soul out if me and I've never been happier now I'm gone.
Pros
Benefits, PTO for managers
Cons
Bad management, too much work and very little payroll
cashier
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Watertown, NYDecember 4, 2018
worked at Five Below as a cashier, my first job in retail. really liked the manager and assistant manager, both were fair in giving hours and having us as team players. management changed both got other jobs and new management came in. there was no fairness. management wanted only young empoyees, as a senior citizeni didnt fit in anymore, cut my hours down to almost nothing. aquaired a new job at Christmas Tree Shop and left 5Five Below
Productive workplace, but slow paced
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYDecember 3, 2018
A typical day at work involved front end selling and cashier work. I left voluntarily because there was no means of transportation. I'm stable on transportation now though for job opportunities. I loved meeting all the new people at this work environment, but while it was all good to start with, the management was going downhill.
Pros
Ability to meet new people
Cons
No breaks and slow paced
My Experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Batavia, NYNovember 29, 2018
My experience at Five Below was overall great. If you are new to retail like I was, I recommend starting at Five Below. Everyone there is happy to help you get your feet wet and learn. When I began, it was my first job outside of Genesee Community College. The store is small enough where I did not feel as though I needed to run to every spot in the store to find something, but it has variety so it seems both large and small. The management was nice overall and they were very understanding and flexible when I decided to go to school for my degree and certificates. The most difficult part I would say overall were the customers. Sure, there were the good ones that were kind and friendly, but the ones who were persistent on being right even when they were wrong were extremely frustrating.
Pros
Pay, co-workers, work environment
Cons
Lack of equipment, scheduling, disorganized
Okay place to work!
Picker/Packer/Shipper (Former Employee) –  Olive Branch, MSNovember 29, 2018
A typical workday was kind of stressful.I learned how to pick and scan. My manager was a nice person. The hardest part of my job was when i was a picker the warehouse didn't have heat or air.
Easy
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg, VANovember 28, 2018
My boss was horrible she no longer works there though. Other than that is was a nice job stayed busy which I loved. The hours sucks I only worked maybe two days a week and only for 4-5 hours.
Pros
Busy
Cons
Not enough hrs
It’s a fun environment to be in
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Uniontown, PANovember 28, 2018
I loved working at five below meeting new people. Them telling me how much they loved meeting me and how nice I was and me always having a smile on my face.
Cons
Lied and said money was missing to get rid of me
Fun and productive work enviornment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Athens, GANovember 28, 2018
I liked working at Five Below the job was good and easy and the people were nice and helpful. The funnest part of working at Five Below was getting to work both the sales floor and behind the counter.
Lead Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VANovember 28, 2018
They have amazing advancement opportunities for staff already employed. Was able to advance from a seasonal worker to a key holder in 6 weeks while carrying my child full term.
Fun place
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 25, 2018
Very fun place to work at because of the customers and the kids.! the kids will have you laughing and enjoying yourself while working. I would love to go back but they would have to raise up starting pay rate.
Determined
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYNovember 25, 2018
Great store the price was reasonable
Help you with retail stock
Learn a lot you didn’t know
Determined & passionate
Hardwork pays off
Night shifts
fun to work at. nice people. able to mess around sometimes
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  York, PANovember 19, 2018
how to mange money.
time management.
I could never call off if I was sick or couldn't make it in I always had to fine someone to cover me and if I couldn't I had to come in.
Pros
30min break
Cons
cant call off have to find someone to cover you
Was a great place to work but has changed for the worse in the past year
Manager (Former Employee) –  Long IslandNovember 18, 2018
Had work life balance but changed in the past year. Company is trying to grow too fast and not investing in current employees. Hiring people from outside instead of promoting internal. Changed DM's and it got bad fast. Had to leave.
Pros
Dress code
Cons
Too many things to do. No hours to do them.
Fun workplace super nice people
Freight Associate (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYNovember 18, 2018
Honestly working there is fun. I get to meet new people and they’re always so nice and welcoming. The environments nice and the days there are never dull. I always expect something new from them all the time
Work day was not your typical.
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 17, 2018
OK to work for. I would not want to work for this company for the rest of my life. .Upper management is OK. They tell you your the greatest employee and then talk behind your back.
Pros
Free Trips
Fun place to work
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Oxford, ALNovember 16, 2018
I enjoyed working at Five Below the people were very nice. The schedule was very flexible and if you have kids or anything else important they will work with your schedule.
Pros
They worked with your schedule.
Cons
The breaks were short.
The work was simple and mundane
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lake Orion, MINovember 16, 2018
Manager did not know how to run the store and they played favorites. I asked to get a direct deposit three times and it never happened. My hours kept getting cut shorter and shorter until they laid me off without my knowledge.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Refer to review
Fun laid back place to work, teen like enviornment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Saint Joseph, MONovember 15, 2018
Kept an eye on building premises for loss prevention and security purposes. Performed assigned projects and completed checklists in an efficient and accurate  manner. Answered customers' questions and addressed problems and complaints in person and  via phone.
Pros
Laid back
Cons
Cheap pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Five Below. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

3.0InHerSight Score

2.5Personal Development

3.3Career Opportunities

3.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight