Five Below Employee Reviews

Low pay high work load
Manager (Former Employee) –  Hopkinsville, KYApril 24, 2018
Don't work here if you are trying to survive in today's economy. They pay pennies on the dollar, their way of "holding the penny hostage", and work you to death. Short staffed every day. Most of the time only one person on the sales floor, usually the cashier, the second person is in the back room trying to sort out the freight. Theft is extremely high because of dummy cameras and out inability to notify the police, we are just supposed to let them walk out of the door. Store manager micro-manages and that's not cool, especially if she supposedly puts so much trust in the other managers. You have to obtain emails from customers and if you don't they hound you to the point of quitting. Me, I personally NEVER give my email to stores, its often sold to 3rd party and you get flooding with spam email.
Don't bother applying and then following up because the store manager will just pretend to write your name down and never call you back. Better off applying at Dollar General or Family Dollar. Store manager is so disrespectful towards employees but puts on a fake smile to the customers.
Pros
20 % discount
Cons
too many to list
Good working enviornment
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Brighton, MIApril 24, 2018
I greet customers entering the store, i have conversations with customers, i answer any questions the customers have, i check customers out, i recover the store, i stock the store.
Productive and very helpful
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OH 45459April 23, 2018
Five Below is the type of business where we enjoy helping the customers no one is left behind and that if you need something and we dont have it we will always find a way to have it
Pros
good services
Cons
need more management
good place to work for supplementary income
Part Time Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCApril 23, 2018
Five below is not a bad place to work, I was with the company for less than a year before I decided to relocate to a new city but during my time there, I worked for two different stores and had a good relationship with the staff at both locations.

it is a min. wage job so you can't make a living there full time unless you make management but it's decent side money if you're just trying top get a few debts paid down.

the management staff at both stores were easy to get along with for the most part, their will always be one or two you won't like for your own reasons but nothing that will make you miserable.

the hours are flexible and there is some opportunity for growth if you're at all interested.
Pros
Decent side money, friendly staff
Cons
min. wage, late nights
Fun and fast paced
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 23, 2018
- You cash people out, clean the store, stock the store
- I learned how to use the register and count down tills/send money to the bank
- Hardest part of the job was keeping the store clean and checking people out during rushes
Fun place to work
Manager (Former Employee) –  Somers Point, NJApril 21, 2018
This was probably my favorite job ever, I did everything from Sales to Stock to Management. I was actually really sad to leave this job when I moved. If you want a cool, fun, relaxed place to work that offers room for advancement and flexible hours, this is the place for you.
Pros
great management, flexible hours, good pay.
Cons
stressful holidays
not great in west long branch
Cashier, stock, Full time support leader (Former Employee) –  West Long Branch, NJApril 21, 2018
not great in west long branch. store manager treat the employer not great. the people that work there are great. customer are always happy. it was fun
Pros
Cons
to short break or no break
its a fast pace work place
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Marlton, NJApril 20, 2018
you have to be very alert because you can't move it's a customer always there as soon as you think your going to do something else you can't but it's worth it.
very productive
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Geneva, ILApril 19, 2018
Five Below is a very productive place to work at. it is a very relaxed place at most times. Around holidays it does get busy and stressful but i would recommend working here.
Great job
Freight Lead (Former Employee) –  Washington, MOApril 19, 2018
A typical day at work was not a bad day. I would have to sort pallets of merchandise into departments and then pulled the merchandise to the floor and stock the shelves. I had to follow a planogram when switching merchandise and sometimes would have to just fit the new merchandise on the shelves in the most sensible location.
Super fun to work for
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Flint, MIApril 16, 2018
The managers were nice and they made it competitive for employees. Plus getting a discount was cool too. They sell cute little stuff that is great for christmas and birthdays
Unorganized Company and Understaffed
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hoover, ALApril 16, 2018
While working, there the managers were not helpful nor understanding. I usually did not have any help on the store floor or recovering for 5-6 hours. This establishment cannot keep anyone.
Cons
No break unless you work 6 hours, no help
Fun people but not worth it
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Smyrna, TNApril 11, 2018
The pay was low and the hours were not enough to make up for that. Some weeks I would only get five hours a week plus any overtime I grabbed. Many other employees quit, and ultimately I left for school, but I will not return there due to the little pay and hours. The people were very nice though so ultimately that was why I did not quit sooner.
Pros
People
Cons
Pay, hours
Fun working environment
Retail Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Shelby Charter Township, MIApril 6, 2018
I worked hard and all I wanted to do was be the best customer person as possible.There are three manager roles in a store. The store manager, customer service manager and merchandising manager. I was in both the customer service and merchandising manager role. Both are changeling instead of them to stress out on. I in braced it and worked to my best ability.
Productive and fun workplace
Customer Care Associate (Current Employee) –  Levittown, NYApril 5, 2018
Freight team was receiving truck, unloading it, and packing out each section. Management was great, very flexible hours. Very open and fun workplace, with open communication
Pros
great enviornment
Cons
strenuous work
Cutlture is good
Support Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 4, 2018
The culture was always always good, management can be a little bit iffy depending on how desperate the store was to hire. the work is fast and very paced
Below average. Too stressful
Assistant Customer Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALApril 4, 2018
I liked the company and still do. It’s the DMs and Store managers that are not trained properly that cause stress. They put to much work on you and get all the credit. Can’t complain about your store manager or they will ignore you or treat you like a snitch. The company policy is not enforced people really do whatever. The lack of training and roles they give people does not go with their work experience. UNPROFESSIONAL put loads of work on you that is NOT part of your job description. 3 yrs worst job ever.
Pros
Nice products.
Cons
Poor management higher up. Lack of professionalism. Low pay no chance of raises.
Great n fun atmosphere
Manager (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLApril 4, 2018
Fun and cool atmosphere great customers great place over all. You’ll always find what you’re looking for and more! Low prices nothing over five dollars.
productive and fun workplace
Associate (Former Employee) –  Wayne, PAApril 4, 2018
The managers were very flexible with hours. They were reliable and friendly and I enjoyed working there. The hardest part was convincing customers to give emails.
Boring
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  East Syracuse, NYApril 4, 2018
Five Below was the worst place to work. The manager does not know how to smile and is always mean. You probably should not take this job if you don't want to be bored beyond belief.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Five Below. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Powered by Comparably

47out of 100

The Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Five Below.