Five Guys Culture reviews

Found 564 reviews matching the search See all 3,406 reviews
Pretty great for work environment, but otherwise could use some work.
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Macon, GAJanuary 6, 2019
Very balanced work environment. My management team was, overall pretty great. But, the opportunity for raises or advancement, even after years of working there. Your starting wage IS above minimum wage even at entry level. The quality of the food, cleanliness, and even corporate are pretty great.

Overall, very good for an entry level and part time job. But if you’re looking for a wage you can live on, unless you’re working as a manager, the hours and pay aren’t so great for entry level. And it is hard to advance higher in the chain.
Pros
Free employee meals, Simple and competitive, opportunity to learn all stations.
Cons
Hard to advance positions or get a pay raise, full time hours for managers only.
hard fast paced will fire you for anything but! bonuses are cool
Line cook/perp cook (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJune 9, 2018
They have thrice weekly bonuses. cool. based off of team performance nad secret shopper score. Time it takes to get food out to secret shopper and quality of food.

I worked all 3 bonus days great way to get extra 100-300$ a week!

management was... good and bad.

If you were resting even for a moment they would question why they had hired you, and put you imediatly to work on something, so ALWYAS look busy! even if u arn't .

They try not to give you benifits and will send you home if there is litle work, BUT BONUSES! are awesome... so it makes up for it.

The culture is very american. if you like hard work and a free burger every shift 10/10 work there.

They want you to work more and more, i had a hard time getting them to work with my work scheduled.
Pros
Bonuses! Free burgers!
Cons
Try not to give you fulltime benifits. No overtime. work work work you.
Productive work place
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Newport, RIJune 14, 2018
The workplace culture at Five Guys is exceptional. They focus on promoting a good energy and fun environment for their staff and are consistent in their food safety practices as well as their training programs. They offer higher than minimum wage salaries for their employees, as well as daily tips, free meals, and weekly bonuses. They offer good healthcare benefits as well as paid maternal leave and strong salaries for their management staff. They expect, in return, a strong focus on quality of food and service, as well as a strict adherance to company policy.
Pros
Free meals, fun environment, one on one coaching, daily tips, weekly bonuse
Cons
long management shifts
Has flaws, but it is still a comfortable work environment
Shift Manager (Current Employee) –  Cape Coral, FLJune 25, 2018
At Five Guys, the atmosphere is always friendly, enthusiastic, genuine, and sincere. The crew were always positive and respectful. However, as it involves with promotions, I feel that the higher management team don’t make an attempt nor time to teach their next candidate how to become their next and upgrade position. Like promoting from shift leader to an assistant manager.
Pros
Free meals and health benefits
Cons
Lack of staff
Was a good company to work for
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 15, 2018
I enjoyed working for this company during my time there. The atmosphere was great , the people were nice and the benefits were pretty good. Overall a good experience.
can be great or can be stressful
Crew Member/Cook (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 17, 2018
a typical day is busy. managers can be inconsistent but many managers work in one store so working with only one manager won't happen. The hardest part of the job is sometimes working understaffed. There is a culture at five guys and if you make it through management training the benefits seem to get better. I personally found no want of furthering my career and terminated my job in nov 2017.
Pros
nice friendly and willing to help
Cons
lack of knowledge about company policy
Fast paced hard work.
Crew member, Manager in Training (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAAugust 31, 2018
A typical day at work persisted of making sure the restaurant was ready for any rushes and cleaned to standards. I learned to work hard and how to be the best at everything that I did. Management was loose or tight depending on the shift lead. The managers always looked to me for advice and to hold the team together. Workplace culture could be good or bad depending on the state of the store. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing how the team worked together to keep the store at bay.
Pros
Free meals
Cons
short breaks sometimes none
A very fun place to work at.
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Huntington, WVJuly 5, 2018
Five Guys Burgers and Fries is a very fun and exciting place to work at. Not only do you get to have fun during your shift, but it was busy enough through your shift to make time just fly by.
Pros
pay, the other staff members, management, and benefits
A great working environment and it is very diverse.
Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALAugust 3, 2018
I love working for company and I love how it is very detailed. The staff is very fun, loving, and attentive and lets not forget persuasive. I appreciate being apart of this crew.
Pros
Salary, free lunch
Cons
Distance
Eye opening job
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Federal Way, WASeptember 28, 2018
This job can really test your patience, leadership, collaborative capability and resilience. This job is amazing for potential unlocking and to see if you're cut for a small time restaurant. During my time I felt as if the restaurant was my own and had to care for it. Closing can take a while but it is only mandatory as the cleanliness of the shop was satisfying to both customers and employees. Very high expectations led to me feeling at home with the hard work needed at this job. I felt as if I was competitive, not against my coworkers, but against the company. Racing against time to close or proving to ourselves and the company that we are worthy of the secret shopper bonus was all fun and satisfying from an overseeing perspective now that I look back.
Pros
Free lunches, very collaborative, hard work = more hours
Cons
poor management, If low staff - can be stressful
not the best but not the worst either
cashier (Former Employee) –  Arvada, CONovember 5, 2018
mostly busy at in the evening to night time.i learned how to make milkshakes and ive trained people after being there for a month.management is not the best but some of them do try their best.unfortuanately managers there never last.its a nice fast pace and the workers are usually clowns but they get their work done and the customers love it.the hardest part of the job is communicating with managers but the most enjoyable part is making the customers smile and laugh and to have them come back again.
Pros
free employee meals, paid breaks
Cons
irresponsible managers
A hard working environment yet intensifies your stress levels
Crew Leader (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJuly 19, 2018
A typical day at work is making sure all customers who walk through the door are not only satisfied but glad they walked in.Learning back of the house was very easy for me because of my fast learning abilities, however front of house was kind of challenging for me at first then i became comfortable on how they operate.The workplace environment culture was outstanding however slightly few complications with management due to prejudicism, furthermore the best part about the job is clocking out and going home after a great shift.
Pros
you can eat what ever you want on the job and well as drink the beverages
Cons
verry very very short breaks and constant constructive criticism
fun place to work
Manager (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GASeptember 17, 2018
a typical day at work would be me doing paperwork truck ordering a lot of computer work if i was needed in the front id go. i learned to be a manager how to talk to others and how to make sure my customers and employees are happy.id typically walk out in the doing room make sure it was a clean and safe environment id also talk to the customers while i was doing my walk through's. it was always a happy culture as long as the employees were happy.the hardest part of the job was to gain respect from older and younger employees especially with me being young.the most enjoyable part of the job was the communication with my customers they'd come in and ask for me and leave me good reviews
Pros
free lunch
Cons
no breaks on certain days
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAOctober 24, 2018
I loved working at five guys, the only draw back was the constant change in management for GMs, even though it couldn't be prevented, but my last Gm was okay not great just okay.
My one before that was great, he was awesome to work with and knew my potential and how good a job I did. He was an awesome boss. If a five guys location has the right atmosphere and balance it thrives and works great with employees and needs a good organization too.
Extremely fun and amazing to work with customers, stressful at times.
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Lynnwood, WAAugust 3, 2018
Workin at five guys was a good first job, the management wasn’t the best but I always got paid on time, the crew memebers and other managers were extremely nice and out going and always made work competitive in a fun way.
Pros
Free lunch, 3 breaks
Fun job
Shift Leader (Current Employee) –  West Hollywood, CAFebruary 27, 2018
Fun job culture.
Learned better customer service there.
Hardest part is deep cleaning for most.
Most enjoyable part is secret shopper pay outs and meeting new people.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Raises were on freeze
Productive fun work place
Cook/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Simpsonville, SCJune 17, 2018
Typical day at work contains a normally fast pace of supplying food, what i learn is either how to fix up a sandwich or how to cook certain foods. Management there is great, culture of the work place as well. I honestly feels as if there is nothing hard or changeling about five guys that you cant learn or isn't going to be able to learn. The most enjoyable part of it all is when the team is busy with orders and how well the communication is deliver through out the process
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
30 mintue breaks
Great place to work and gain experience
CREW MEMBER (Former Employee) –  Gilbert, AZNovember 15, 2018
I loved working at Five Guys! It was definitely a great first job for me and I loved my manager and Coworkers. I would recommend the Gilbert, AZ Five Guys to friends. I worked from 4 till 11:40 or sometimes later. I learned how to handle costumers and a cash register and how to work well with others. The hardest part would be closing time when we are all cleaning and its not very hard. I had great experiences there!
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Long time to clean and close
Good first job but it comes with many disadvantages.
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Coon Rapids, MNDecember 18, 2018
Five Guys culture was very interesting. The job itself was fairly simple, but the employees I worked with made for a rollercoaster every shift. There were ups and downs through my three year stay at the restaurant, but in the end I can't say I regret working there.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Closing the store and staying late
Fast paced and fun work experience
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXApril 24, 2018
Working under Five Guys provides a fast paced learning experience in the food industry as well as a position in the Five Guys culture and franchise. The breaks were short and responsibility wasn't distributed evenly throughout employees. Low pay, no advancement and inconsistent schedules made it hard to stay.
Pros
Employee meal
Cons
Short breaks, slow advancements, low pay and inconcistent worm schedule

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Five Guys. Our community is ready to answer.

51K
41.1K

Women's ratings

3.5Fairygodboss Score

50%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

50%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss