Five Star Urgent Care Employee Reviews

Draining
MA (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, NYOctober 6, 2018
Do not expect to have any type of life outside of work. Besides the 12 hour shifts, you are constantly called in on your days off, they are extremely choosey on who they will and won’t help when it comes to covering shifts. You will be sent from one end of town to another without being asked. You will not be 100% trained on things they tell you they will train you on.
Cons
12 hour shift: 30min lunch, 20 min dinner
Great Company
Radiologic Technologist (Current Employee) –  Plattsburgh, NYJuly 11, 2018
Five Star is a great company to work for. Management is always willing to help and always a phone call away for venting or helping. Team members become family, and the way you work together makes the days go by easier. Love my job and all it encompasses. Lots of room for growth and management is willing to help and guide you all the way through. Pay is lower than average, however the schedule and culture makes up for it. Benefits are okay, but no dental insurance which is uncool. Overall, good company and good people.
Pros
Five Star Culture, management
Cons
pay, dental insurance
Lucky to work here!!
LPN (Current Employee) –  Plattsburgh, NYJune 16, 2018
I've been nurse for about 4 years now. I've worked in other offices as well as nursing homes. I'd have to say before taking this job I was contemplating if nursing really was for me. At other places that I've worked you're treated as if you are a "dime a dozen". When I heard about this job I thought it was too good to be true. I feel like I got really lucky to find a job that actually cares about you and your well being. I no longer dread going to work and just going through the day to day motions. I'm always happy to go to work and see my "Five Star Family"! The culture and story behind this company is inspirational and is what drives me to show up every day and give it my all. I do not have any regrets working for Five Star Urgent Care!
Pros
Bonuses!! Friendly Environment. Learning opportunities.
Terrible
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Cicero, NYJune 14, 2018
Terrible place to work. Recruiter lied about every aspect of the job. Staff is over worked & under paid. Management is a bunch of clueless, unqualified people chasing their tails.
Pros
Free snacks
Cons
Every aspect of the job
Not Family Friendly
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYJune 14, 2018
This company used to value their employees and ever since they joined with ASPEN they have spiraled out of control. They don't respect their employees. The only way to make it to management in the company is by sucking up and being cliquey. You are expected to over work yourself by doing the jobs of several different people but never get any compensation for it or even a good job. Management sits back and does nothing. They definitely have favorite employees they favor. If you have kids at home don't expect management to care. They will call you into work when they need you so that they don't have to work the clinical floor. If you need time off, forget it, even if you have no babysitter. They have a high turn over rate for reason.
Pros
Cons
Short Lunch Breaks, Management
TEAM atmosphere- supportive & respectful. Hard to find in this industry!
Clinical Support (Current Employee) –  Travel throughout NY StateMay 22, 2018
Joining the Five Star Family was the best opportunity I've given my career! I started a few months ago and have never felt so welcomed and supported as I do here. You are challenged in a positive way and can make a great difference in the care for patients.

The culture here is refreshing- it is not what you typically see in the Healthcare world. Everyone collaborates and works together to achieve the mission of the organization and people go out of there way for you. Management acts as a leader and partner with you vs. a dictator or micromanager.

Work/life balance is easily achieved and valued here.

Compensation is competitive and fair.

I most enjoy that I can come to work each day knowing I've found my work home and place I plan to stay for the rest of my career. I enjoy a good challenge and the fact that there is room to grow and advance with this growing organization!
Pros
Great team environment, excellent work/life balance
Poor poor poor management
Undisclosed (Former Employee) –  NYMay 12, 2018
If you like a job with horrific so called team leads, this is the job for you. Immature, younger team leads that treat those beneath them like absolute garbage.
Pros
Benefits, decent starting pay
Cons
Management, Team leads are horrific
Very easy going and a great place to work!!!
Certified medical assistant (Current Employee) –  Batavia, NYApril 22, 2018
So my honest review, I am hired as a medical assistant at the batavia location. Everyone is very kind and helpful. I did all my training at the Greece location and I absolutely loved every moment! I had opportunity for over time and the site manager there is phenomenal! She was so sweet and was always there for me if I ever needed anything or needed help. She goes out of way for everyone. She was the one who gave me my tour and did my shadowing. She made me want to start that day I first shadowed! The facility is so clean you could literally eat off their floors. The staff was so nice from the moment I started to the moment I finished my training and said I was always welcome to come back for extra shifts. They order food once or more a week for the staff and I have celiacs and they went out of their way to meet my dietary needs every time! Even if that meant them ordering food from another place for me if I couldn’t eat what they were having. I’m now currently in the batavia office and my site manager there is outstanding as well. She is always willing to help and if I have a question she will go out of her way to find that answer. Everyone and Greece and Batavia locations worked so well together there were NO CLIQUES what so ever. I work my hours during the week and when I leave I just want to come back to work. I never dread a day going to work. This place is just amazing inside and out. I never want to find another job! You learn and see so many things in a day and you gain so much experience with being here. The providers are all knowledgeable and very kind. They offer  more... me to come in the rooms with them during suturing and when they need a jam and explain every step of what they are doing so I know what’s going on. I love five star urgent care that’s all there’s is too it. Even though the pay isn’t what I expected I still won’t leave this company ever and they will have to fire me to leave haha.  less
Pros
Lunches, great staff, quick service, and great atmosphere
Cons
Stressful; you are treated like a piece of equipment
Other (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYApril 5, 2018
Underpaid, overworked, insensitive management, have to stay late almost every day. Cannot call out sick. Understaffed every day so you must do more while the company gets rich.
Pros
Cons
Understaffed, low pay, poor management, long hours, unnecessarily stressful.
For the hard worker, a dream come true!
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Current Employee) –  Big Flats, NYMarch 18, 2018
I have worked for Five Star for over four years. I have worked in the medical field for over 10 years and this is not like your typical medical facility. Most places, you are limited in your career. This is a place where you get out of it what you put into it. I had dreams of one day having a successful career and being recognized for hard work. ANYONE can move up in the company if they put the work into it. From Reception to LPN, XRAY to Medical Scribe and Provider! How cool is that! I've also worked in places before Five Star that are short staffed, which is ever so common in the medical field. In my over four years, I have NEVER worked short. Managers will work the floor if that is what it takes. We are busy, and with busy comes stress.... but this becomes a drive for your team to work as a well oiled machine and it feels so good when the night is over! You have so much to be proud of! Five Star takes pride in their staff, and it shows often. The teams work hard and they love each other like family. Our saying, Five Star Family, is really what it sounds like. Everyone takes care of everyone. If you are looking to work hard and devote the time and some positive energy, this is the place for you! A company that gives back to you, what you put in.
Pros
Supportive Staff, Career Advancement
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYMarch 6, 2018
The coworkers are AMAZING! The Providers are wonderful, all great to work with and to learn from. The culture is very team oriented this help to complete tasks throughout the day. They cross train everyone within their scope to help better service the patients and take weight off the staff....It's obvious when team members don't pull their own weight and let other pick up the slack.
Management does a good job explaining what's to be expected upon hire. They are fair with enforcing the policies and procedures for patient and staff safety. The rules are the same everywhere, "keep your phone in the break room or no games on the computer" it's easy to follow. Management puts on team building activity outside of work to get to know your team outside of work and build a solid team. Also they have sent us to Darien lake for company picnic with our families! I've seen my managers help clean with the team or help work the floor so people can get a break. Have even worked a full or half shift with them in some cases.
They allow you to pick up overtime if there are open shifts at your home site or at other sites. And with being crossed trained you have even more options to pick up and extra shift a week and still have 3 days off!!

They will text or call you when someone calls off for a shift looking to see if you can work, but they are good about it if you can't and understand.

Yes, we clean throughout the day and at the end of the shift. We take pride in our site. When we clean together as a team it is done evenly and in no time. When teammates don't help then it can't take
  more... longer than plan and frustration starts among the team.....our provider do help clean.... if they are seeing patients we all understand that their priority is that patient. But if it's slow or no patients providers will help with cleaning.

We have very fast past offices that can see a lot of patients in a day, working with outstanding teams makes it so much better and easier. I love coming to work everyday knowing I don't know what will walk through the door or what I will get to help assist with. I never thought I would enjoy working 12-13 hour days but with a solid team it's easy days. It's the days that people don't help feel more like 15 hour days. Laziness will not do well in a fast pace urgent care. We have things that need to get done daily weekly and monthly if one person says "it's not my job" it's time to learn it because we are a team and a team does whatever we can to help each other out. ...You may not be able to do the blood draw but you can help with reporting.... little things like that goes a long ways at our site. We appreciate each other for that.

Also when you are ready or want to know how to move up and grow with the company they are there ready to help you do so with pointer and guidance.

All in all this is a wonderful place to work. I absolutely love my job, my team, my managers, and my patients.
Pros
Monthly bonuses!, We do get lunches to be recognized, hangery basket filled with snacks each month so we can snack through the day, Team kudos!
Cons
No dental. Team members who don't pull their own weight or think they are above the rules.
Management cares more about $$$, more like retail
X- Ray Technologist (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYFebruary 25, 2018
Management does not care about you, always short staffed, sides with patients even if they mistreated you. A lot of drama, a lot of travel, a lot of pressure to work more than 40 hrs. Low pay. Have to clean facility as well..
Not for everyone, but worth it.
LPN (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYFebruary 24, 2018
I’ll be honest, you can’t sell this job. This isn’t glamorous work. We work extremely hard at Five Star. This job isn’t for everyone, it’s long hours and can be stressful at times. You get asked to come in often (which you’re 100% allowed to say no to, and they’re cool with it) but the paychecks with overtime are awesome! Management can be “by the book” but it’s their job to make sure rules are followed and that safety is ensured for everyone. With all that being said, this is the BEST job I’ve ever had. My coworkers are MAGNIFICENT. I work with a skilled, caring, friendly, professional, and entertaining group of people. Some days they are the only reason I show up for my shift. There’s a certain culture of five star that makes it so appealing. I feel most of my coworkers legitimately care about my wellbeing. Like I said, we work hard, but we take great pride in it. If you’re uncomfortable with that, this job may not be for you. But if you’re willing to put in the effort, this job is very rewarding. I would recommend this company to anyone who considers themselves a dedicated employee.
Pros
Coworkers, atmosphere, internal promotion, all the hours you could ever possibly want
Cons
Pay, benefits, long days
Opportunity for Growth is Endless
Nurse (Current Employee) –  Big Flats, NYFebruary 23, 2018
Five Star Urgent Care is a rapidly growing and expanding company. While doing so, there are many opportunities for you to grow and advance your career, IF you want to. If you choose to stay stuck and not put yourself out there as interested in growing, than you will stay where you are. However, if you have the drive and let your goals be known, than the Leadership will work with you to help you grow. You must be willing to work hard, step outside of your comfort zone and be challenged. Do those things and you will do well.

They are very forth right that this company is not for everyone, no company is. However, if you have ever worked in any other healthcare facility, you will quickly know that working for Five Star is far better. You are not just a number on a clock, not just an RT taking the next xray, not just the nurse or MA on the floor. You are part of the team and the team is everything. Mid-Levels and Docs are especially great about having conversations with you. You are not left to feel inferior because you asked a question, nor are you talked down to. Even upper management will take the time to have real time conversations with you and not make you feel like you are bothering them.

Is it easy? No but always worth it!

As one of our leaders likes to say, we do healthcare the way it should be done - from the heart!
Pros
Advancement, Collaboration, Education
Cons
Could always have better Health/Dental Insurance
Five Star Family!
Support staff/LPN/Recruiting (Current Employee) –  New York StateFebruary 22, 2018
The teams here are fantastic. Everyone works together to get the job done. Going above and beyond gets you recognized and can lead to growth within the company. I've never dreaded a day of work here. There is so much to learn, so much on the job training. I've taken full advantage of learning all I can to better myself all around. Its challenging, fast paced, and fun.
Pros
Learning, growing, team building outings, bonuses
Great Environment
Medical Scribe (Current Employee) –  Oneonta, NYFebruary 16, 2018
Five star urgent care is a fantastic place to work. Everyone is very welcoming and the staff together truly define team and family. I have never felt more welcomed at any other job. Management is amazing, i feel that i can go to my manager about time off as well as any kind of help i need and she is more than eager to help. The nursing staff is awesome, very friendly and highly efficient. Everyone is eager to help no matter the job whether its a nurse, receptionist, scribe, or manager.
Pros
Benefits, team oriented, great comunication
Cons
N/a
LPN- Best job of my life!
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Current Employee) –  Oneonta, NYFebruary 16, 2018
Five Star UC is an amazing place to work. There is a strong sense of family and you truly feel valued and respected. Management is compassionate and always willing to listen. Scheduling can be flexible to allow you time with your family. The pay is above average and there is often opportunities for overtime. The pace varies from day to day but there is a huge opportunity for learning. If you want a job that is both challenging and rewarding then this is the job for you!
Pros
family atmosphere, relaxed work environment
Run Far Away!
Medical Scribe (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, NYFebruary 13, 2018
This has got to be the worst place to work I have ever experienced. The pay you get is an insult. The management team puts on a good show to make it seem like they know what is going on, when really not 1 time did they have a clue. There are catty cliques in EVERY location, some worse than others, and trust me when you do not fit into those cliques, you will not be there very long. They will make up lies to get rid of you fast. Management picks their favorites! Oh, and upon hired you are told by management they do not allow cliques and so on.. What a joke!! After working 12-13 hours a day, you are expected to "work as a team" to clean the entire facility, although, the "providers" do not lift a finger to help. The place is filthy and is NOT properly cleaned. The management puts on food parties often I think just to make people pleased at the time. You RARELY get the breaks you are supposed to get BY LAW. You are lucky at time to even get a lunch, and most of the time you end up running out back to shovel a bite or two then back to work. They are WAYYY under staffed. The list goes on and on. Terrible place to work, do not bother to waste your time applying.
Pros
Not a thing!!
Cons
Catty cliques, management has not a clue!
Great Opportunity
Operations Support (Current Employee) –  New York StateFebruary 7, 2018
It's an exciting time to be a part of Five Star. The company is growing and rewards talented leaders (at any level) to be promoted internally!! They always look internal before searching externally.

The Management Team solicits the feedback from the teams. Whether through surveys, daily/weekly/monthly meetings, round table discussions, or Engagement Surveys and takes that feedback to heart. While they can't please everyone, they make decisions based on this feedback.

I enjoy working here and feel that those who work hard and who's hearts are in the right place will get opportunities to grow in their careers.
Pros
Growth, Development, Strong Sense of Culture, Teamwork
Terrible Management
Cash Management Associate (Former Employee) –  Ellicottville, NYJanuary 30, 2018
Management sucks and you aren't allowed to have a life outside of Five Star. Being sick is frowned upon and having to take a personal day gets your written up without a copy of said write up. Too much drama and everyone is super catty. If your into drama and not having a life then this job is for you.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Five Star Urgent Care. Our community is ready to answer.