FIVES Employee Reviews

At one time this was the place you wanted to work currently you did not want to work there
Mechanical Engineering (Former Employee) –  Farmington Hills, MIMay 8, 2019
The review I'm giving is open and honest as possible. I wish I had better news or a more positive sense of future for fives. Without any service department or willingness to work with customers it's pretty difficult to forecast what will happen in the future for the people and employees of fives.
Pros
Whoever has survived and still there I believe care for there the company and believe in its future, management however has a different point of view.
Cons
It is not doing well overall.
Great co-workers and environment to work in!
Office Personnel (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYMarch 26, 2019
Company has come a long way in the past year. Recent recruitment has built a strong leadership team here. With the new CEO we have a more clear picture of the next 5 years. We have out grown our facility and I think most people are looking forward to a fresh start in a new and upgraded building. The company has recently upgraded their time off for the better and implemented community service days. I look forward to seeing where we are in the next few years!
Pros
Events, Benefits, Pay, Time Off, People
Good company that has fallen on hard times
Mechatronics Apprentice/ Machinist (Former Employee) –  Farmington Hills, MIMarch 20, 2019
Due to a dramatic decrease in the workload that occurred during 2018 this particular branch of the Fives corporate tree has unfortunately had to resort to a relatively large amount layoffs for salary, hourly, and contract employees. New management was brought in and the company seemed to be going through the early stages of a rebuilding phase, however if job stability is what you're looking for I would currently look elsewhere for employment.
Pros
Clean work environment, personable staff
Cons
Uncertain future
May 17, 2019

We’re sorry to hear that your employment experience with Fives was not ideal. We strive to be the best employer possible to our employees.
Unfortunately, the dynamic nature of the business environment sometimes requires us to make difficult decisions.
In situations like this, Fives strives to support those affected by leveraging mobility within the Group, or by reaching out to our “Sister” business unit, Fives DyAG, connecting with recruitment to assist a transitioning employee for work within their operations.

Nice
Mechanical Designer/Draftsman (Former Employee) –  Farmington Hills, MIJanuary 11, 2019
They do good work, treat people well as a team I cant compline, high energy, they do not babysit, clean environment, fast pace they trust the workers.
Pros
they did my dry cleaning
Cons
they ran low on work to do
Great Place to Work
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHOctober 26, 2018
Fives offers many opportunities for their employees due to the international presence.You will gain solid experience quickly and will have the ability to become a subject matter expert in your field. The company cares about it's employees and fights for them.
good
Co-op Mechanical Engineering Design and Detail (Former Employee) –  Farmington Hills, MIAugust 24, 2018
• Learned new skills quickly in a high-stakes atmosphere.
• Succeeded in the internship position while attending university classes at the same time.
• Performed well enough to be offered a job upon completion of the internship
My Stress was cut in half when I came to work at Fives from another industry!
Salaried Professional (Current Employee) –  Central United StatesAugust 3, 2018
Great Place to Work
Reasonable Work Hours
Family Culture
Everyone Helps Each Other
People are open to Change
Great place to establish new processes
Great Benefits
Very compartmentalized and little interaction.
Engineer (Former Employee) –  North Canton, OhioJuly 11, 2018
I felt it was a difficult place to work, as there was NO cohesiveness among the engineers and people just came and went with little regard to working with anyone and there was no Engineering atmosphere to be found, although personally the people were very nice and affable outside the offices.
November 30, 2018

Thank you for your feedback. The Fives Code of ethics is a key element to the group and is applicable to all of our subsidiaries. Our Group is committed to enable everyone to express themselves and participate to the advancement of well-being at work. this is why we present employees with different opportunities throughout the year in order to share their views with the Group

Great people
Research And Development Manager (Current Employee) –  Farmington Hills, MIJune 18, 2018
Great people to work with. unstable policy, planning, and forecasting set a stressful and ineffective engineering environment, as well as unpredictable results
Friendly and productive working culture
Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Novi, MIMay 7, 2018
Friendly and productive working culture providing space to think and act independently on a problem. Balanced work and life and a fair compensation. Recommended for Entry level candidates to learn the profession without a lot of work stress.
Pros
Good Environment to work
Cons
Management actions on a problem sometimes seems inappropriate
Great people
Unknown (Current Employee) –  Farmington Hills, MIApril 30, 2018
fast paced, stressful but usually interesting and keeps active minds busy. In a difficult position currently trying to work new leadership and direction to company.
Balance
Sr. Site Engineer/Manager (Former Employee) –  North Canton, OHApril 20, 2018
Management was not experience with my position requirements. Control of the field engineers was not correct. Sr. Site Engineer/Manager - Gest Consulting Services
Results-oriented and versatile Engineering professional skilled at creating a unifying project vision, generating goals to accomplish that vision, and motivating others to perform to optimum capabilities. Employs unique experience combining work in diverse areas of the world and military service in setting and achieving high standards of excellence.

Has extensive experience working with and managing people from diverse cultures. Driven to achieve goals and overcome obstacles, confident, highly energized, effective, and persuasive communicator with strong interpersonal, technical, and leadership skills.
Very stressful working conditions
Engineering checker (Former Employee) –  Farmington Hills, MIApril 16, 2018
Never felt comfortable. Always looking for the ax to fall. Very good people working there but management never satisfied. Not very good communication between office and shop.
Cons
fixed work schedule
November 30, 2018

We appreciate your feedback. Dialog is one of Fives' HR policy cornerstones: there are different discussion opportunities, whether they are collective or individualized, that help us gather what our employees think. This is the perfect opportunity to express your concerns with your management and to have another look at the tasks and goals that lie ahead.

Excellent place to work!
Project Engineer, Mechanical (Current Employee) –  Farmington Hills, MIMarch 27, 2018
I've been very happy at Fives, it's a great company to work for! The drive is just a bit too far for me and I am unwilling to move to a closer location.
Pros
Benifits
July 31, 2018

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Due to the nature of its activity the Fives organization has been located in Farmington Hills for several years, this enables Fives to be a major actor of the local economy both past and present.

Specialty Products / Cool International Culture
Confidential (Former Employee) –  Farmington Hills, MIFebruary 8, 2018
Fives is a collection of medium size specialty companies. Each offers its own set of opportunities. If you are open to relocation, domestically or internationally, you can really go far within Fives. Overall, really good company leaders.
July 30, 2018

Thank you for sharing your experience with us! Fives is committed to creating personalized career paths. Thanks to our presence in several industries, we are truly able to offer our employees a wide range of opportunities across the globe.

Technically Challenging
HYDRAULIC PNEUMATIC TECHNICIAN APPRENTICE (Former Employee) –  Hebron,KYFebruary 2, 2018
Great guys, masters of their individual skillsets.Hebron, KY.Everyone there comes from old tool families and appreciates craftsmanship. Cutting edge, world class Aerospace and Machine Tool Manufacturer. Some nepotism within management, not too great at all. Overall, I would have remained there had my mother not passed away and me going a half day over on vacation time to lay her to rest. Way it goes.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Home, Family Time
July 27, 2018

Thank you for sharing you experience with us. First of all we would like to express our condolences. Fives companies' management are autonomous and responsible in order to maintain their world class level of manufacturing . Fives is also organized in a matrix mode with a transversal management and a number of support functions in order to guarantee the professionalism in every level of our organizations.

Fives Landis, Just Keep Looking
Administrative (Former Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDFebruary 1, 2018
Toxic environment with indifferent, clueless management. Bad behavior is tolerated and even encouraged. If you object to the bullying, you will be retaliated against. Don't expect any help from HR; they're part of the problem. Required nine hour days. Way too many unproductive meetings. Petty, rigid rules are strictly enforced because employees are not trusted or respected. The open floor plan is stressful, but this suspicious old school organization believes that they need to keep an eye on employees at all times. There are lots of good companies out there. Don't waste your time at Fives Landis. You will be frustrated and disappointed.
Pros
If you make the mistake of taking a job at Fives Landis, you'll have a genuine appreciation for a good organization when you move on.
Cons
Too many to list them all, but no work life balance, poor management overall, with especially bad senior management in manufacturing group, old school attitude and environment, not a place for progressive professionals.
November 30, 2018

We are sorry for what you experienced during your time at the company. Please be sure that our Group is committed to enable everyone to express themselves and participate to the advancement of well-being at work. The Fives employee survey of 2018 result in a level of participation of 62% and a level of satisfaction of 72%. Furthermore the Fives Code of ethics is a key element to the group. It is applicable to all of our subsidiaries, and our employees are free and able to use the different methods in place to alert of any gross misconduct.

Good
Mechanical Engineer Intern (Powertrain) (Former Employee) –  Farmington Hills, MIJanuary 19, 2018
I just work under a project engineer helping in design the automation and power train components. Its not huge designs but simple ones. I also did 3D modelling of the various stations.
Poor management and no direction for success.
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYJanuary 8, 2018
Most of the working people are a great group. Management is poor with people and communications. No training given. If you travel all expenses you must pay for upfront but you do get reimbursed once you turn your expenses. You are expected to support demanding customers all around the clock and many weekends uncompensated. Management requires too much 'knee jerking' reactions without learning from mistakes. Products manufactured are poor and cheap with no intention to improve. Management does not back their workers. Management is constantly in meetings and attempt to fulfill their numbers with no adequate resources.
Benefits
Cons
All other then benefits
Good place of employment with great opportunities
Field Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Fond du Lac, WINovember 3, 2017
Fives Giddings & Lewis is a leading manufacturer of large machine tools. This means that you will learn the tricks of the trade in a fun and inviting atmosphere.
Pros
Knowledge to be gathered
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at FIVES. Our community is ready to answer.