Fleet Farm Employee Reviews

Poor Management
Yard Associate (Current Employee) –  Ankeny, IAMarch 18, 2019
Managers were condescending, incompetent and arrogant. Micromanagement of employees who were hard-working and dependable. Also, would reward non-performers with special treatment (lax in enforcing attendance policy, etc.)
Pros
wonderful customers
Cons
terrible managment
Feels like home!
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Monticello, MNMarch 13, 2019
Everyone there looks out for each other. It is very well managed and the management cares about you and always asks how your doing or if you're having a bad day they'll pull you aside and ask if you want to talk about it or if you just need a little alone time.
terrible management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MNMarch 13, 2019
If you are a minor, you get a half hour break if you work six hours or more. If you are eighteen or older, you only get one half hour break if you work eight hours or more. I started at Fleet Farm when I was 17 and as soon as I turned 18 they scheduled me seven hours and forty-five minutes so I wouldn't get a half hour break. Additionally, one of the managers at the location I worked at mocked me for having type one diabetes.
Friendly and relaxed environment/ Poor recognition,pay, and benefits
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WIMarch 11, 2019
If you need job and are lucky to get hired, enjoy a below average wage. They compensate the pay with their relaxed work environment and cut a lot of little corners around policies. Supervisors kind of creep on you when you are not aware, rather than actually supervise. Small annual wage increases. Horrible full-time working hours.
Pros
Friendly Co-workers
Cons
Very poor compensation for required job duties, dead end job, no substantial benefits
always adding more responsibilities and nothing ever given back
pricing department head (Former Employee) –  Green Bay, WIMarch 11, 2019
hardest part of day is trying to explain to customers why we don't have product on the shelf. The best part was going home for the day.
management need to give the employee praise for what they do for the company.
Pros
1/2 hr paid lunch
Managment did not care about anyone
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Eau Claire, WIMarch 11, 2019
They only cared about themselves and were really messy and messed up a bunch in which it affected people and they would then blame the people. Do not recommend.
Fun, Fast Paced
Inventory Specialist (Current Employee) –  Sioux City, IAMarch 10, 2019
Typical day at Fleet Farm is Orginized Chaos. Many moving parts but in a controlled environment. There is always something to do but it is manageable.
Pros
Discounts, Fun, Fast advancement
Cons
Typical Office Politics
fun group of people to work with
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WIMarch 8, 2019
typical day at work,grab forklift and go to the board to see what section you were working in and than drive to that isle and grab your pallets and split product on the lines
Pros
paid sick days, make new friends
Cons
not enough pay
Lots of changes from the new owners, not many that benefit the employees
Full time Lawn and Garden Associate (Current Employee) –  Blaine, MNMarch 6, 2019
Was a good place to work when the Mills owned it.

Lawn and garden is a very seasonal department and currently is getting switched back from being primarily toys and Christmas trim. During the change new POGs need to be implemented and seasonal product set. With the dept head on medical leave, I've written work lists for the other FT worker and the PT workers so things can move forward. The company is changing from dept heads to an area lead. The area now consists of Lawn and Garden, Hardware/tools/paint, Building/plumbing/electrical and Housewares.

The hardest part of the job is not knowing what is coming in the future and how it will impact the job.

The most enjoyable part of the job it using my knowledge and experience, and also the friendships I've gained with former co-workers and those still at Fleet Farm
Pros
Sunday paid at time and a half, the number of PTO hours are fair, there are several paid holidays, the employee discount is a nice benefit
Cons
health benefits are not as good, employees are not being replaced, fewer employees to manage the workload, employees are now being required to work an additional Saturday to the every other weekend schedule, raises are now much less than they were and much harder to get
Enjoyable place to work because of my fellow employees and customers
Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Clintonville, WIFebruary 28, 2019
Help customers with their purchases and any questions that they may have on their service that day or in the future.

Answer phones; set up appointments for customers, give price quotes over the phone.

The most enjoyable part of my day is that I can make a customer smile and give them friendly service so that they want to come back again.
Really a good place to work. Untill they cut your hours.
Sales Associate and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fergus Falls, MNFebruary 26, 2019
I worked for Fleet Farm for 3 years. They started cutting hours for me and quit paying more on weekends. I love the people I worked with. They dont want to keep dependable hard work people working. I would not recommend any one to work here. The last week they gave me no hours at all.
Pros
Nice co workers. Like family.
Cons
Not enough people to help. Just wanting more money for themselves.
in the box a fleet farm
Stocker/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Green Bay, WIFebruary 21, 2019
I came in cleaned the shelf and mark down everything item in needed to bring out to the floor. I get a cart and unload the items i needed and began restocking items and facing
Pros
i got the job
Cons
they did not hold my job for me
Save Yourself!
Cashier - Merchandise Associate (Former Employee) –  Green Bay, WIFebruary 20, 2019
Management was terrible, no care for employees and you are way overworked. Terrible break system, if you're over 18 they can schedule you for 7 hours and 45 minutes so you only get a 15 minute break, and that does happen. Pay was not worth it, being a cashier there is horrible, the customers are some of the most rude, angry, smelling farmers on the planet and they just ruin your day. Have witnessed cashiers crying before after being yelled at by customers, took every ounce of strength in me to not right hook a customer every single day. I was there for over a year and saw at least 30 different people come and go, just in the cashiering position alone.
Pros
Extra 2.25 on weekends (Ending March 2019), Co Workers
Cons
Terrible Management, Too many hours for a part time job, Angry Customers, Almost no break
Work Life
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn Park, MNFebruary 16, 2019
A typical day at work for a cashier at fleet farm is a little different than any other cashier because you deal with farm stuff, automotive, grocery, hunting, camping items, batteries (ex: car batteries), and so much more). What I learned is that some customers do not care that you are human, some think that you are nothing and will treat you like you are nothing but you can not let that get to you. You can call management over if it does bother, and they can handle it, so if it does escalate, you are safe. Management was mostly great, there were some managers who shouldn't be managers because they let the power of being a manger go to their head. The workplace culture is kind of hard to explain because not everyone got along, you either did or you didn't, no in between. The hardest part was lifting heavy batteries to engrave for customers. The most enjoyable part of the job was that there was a lot of frequent customers and they were usually the nicest customers.
Pros
Frequent customers
Cons
Heavy batteries to engrave
department store
Customer Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Oshkosh, WIFebruary 16, 2019
its a ok place to work but make it a career !!!
they dont pay their employees fairly for many years of service. i know a couple employees who have worked there over 20 yrs and still dont make $15/per hour ,,,,, how can that be?????????
Pros
clean work place
Cons
poor management
Decent workplace
Freight Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Ankeny, IAFebruary 16, 2019
It’s a great place to work at other than starting pay. Management in my location isn’t that great. Most management doesn’t care for the associates below them.
HORRIBLE MANAGEMENT. Lousy pay for what you are expected to do.
Full time employee (Former Employee) –  Eau Claire, WIFebruary 14, 2019
Horrible management at the new Eau Claire location. These “managers “ are the laziest and most hypocritical group of people that it is hard to fathom how they got the jobs they have. It starts with the GM. Nice guy but he is arrogant and only cares about the store and not the regular employees. The other zone managers treat employees like they are dumb and are very demeaning. I quit there after 4 months basically due to lack of pay for what I was doing every day. The expectations are not achievable and management knows it but will blame everything that is not done on the employees. If you are a team lead, you are safe. The managers like to have their suck ups and that is what the zone team leaders are. I like Fleet Farm for its products, but the management makes this location a miserable place to work. If you want to witness this for yourself, I urge you to apply and find out for yourself. You will see it for yourself first hand. Good luck!
Pros
I like Fleet Farm for the products.
Cons
HORRIBLE MANAGEMENT. Pay and amount of work you do for the pay.
Great Upbeat Wrokplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ankeny, IAFebruary 12, 2019
We had radios to communicate with each other and we also knew if someone was at the gun counter or not because they had a button to press that would page throughout the entire store and also came through our radios. I learned how to work a lot of freight and communicate very well with people and customers. I also learned how to make price tags and reset things around the store. Everyone was really happy and fun to be around. The hardest part was having to run background checks on customers before they could purchase a firearm. Other than that I absolutely enjoyed working there because to me it was just a great environment to be around and work.
Total unrealistic expectations for the team members
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  WisconsinFebruary 11, 2019
It's a far cry from when the Mills Family owned it. New ownership is driving it into the ground, only thinking of the bottom line. Feel bad for the existing team members.
Pros
team members
Cons
Ownership direction
Positive enviroment to work in.
Sales Zone Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Eau Claire, WIFebruary 11, 2019
The management was always there to help out or answers any questions you might have.
Working with the customers and fellow team members is new and exciting every day.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Fleet Farm. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.3InHerSight Score

1.9Personal Development

2.9Career Opportunities

2.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight