Fletcher Allen Health Care Employee Reviews

4.4
Ratings breakdown
I liked cooking here.
Food Service Worker II (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTMay 25, 2018
FSWII is a line cook job, with a guaranteed 40 hours a week without a lot of overtime, amazing bennies, and a cool mix of locals and refugees to work with.
I left for love, and I'm staying gone,
This right here might be the difference between VT and AR.
Pros
Get taken care of to take care of people.
Cons
You will need to earn your check still, and it's not like I didn't have bad days there.
was a great place to work
Research Nutrition Aide I (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTMarch 9, 2018
I was very happy to work here and would be happy to go back if the right job for my skills and experience became available.Was a very professional atmosphere in which to work.
Pros
full time, benefits and job security
Loved working in the Emergency Department!
Emergency Department Registration Representative (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTMarch 2, 2018
I started my career at Fletcher Allen Health Care right out of college. Was married and had children within my first five years of employ. I worked varying shifts in the Emergency Department registration. When I began my career at FAHC, the Emergency Department had ten beds. Over the years, there were several expansions and when I left there, the Emergency Department had 52 beds. The ER registration went from desk registration to bedside registration with mobile computer carts. Several registration/billing programs were upgraded over my years there to begun more efficient yet more and more complex as technology and insurance regulations grew. I truly believe that I grew with technology as well as my maturity. I was able to support my family as a single mother and become a home owner. There were many staff members there that became friends outside and I have maintained many of those relationships.
Legal challenges with negative impact on organization
Vice-President of Ancillary Services (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTFebruary 25, 2018
Within four months of my arrival, FAHC was undergoing great scrutiny for having violated Certificate of Need legislation. The result was the Board of Directrors resigning in mass, internal and external legal counsel gone, and separation of entire C-suite.
Pros
Great mission for a tertiary care academic Medical Center.
Cons
Turmoil caused by upheaval due to violation of Certificate of Need requirements.
Culture of caring, commitment to advancing medical research and training future generations of providers.
Director, Network Development (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTFebruary 1, 2018
An ever evolving academic health center that is committed to the communities it serves and does so by recruiting the best clinicians in Vermont who dedicate their time to treatment, research and training.
Pros
Solid executive team and board of directors who focus on strategic planning and goal setting.
Cons
City location creates parking challenges for many employees.
University of Vermont Medical Center
Rehab Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  VermontDecember 6, 2017
A wonderful place to work, job security, and very rewarding knowing that you are helping directly or indirectly with patients on a daily basis. It is fast paced which comes with its challenges. But the rewards outweigh the drawbacks. Great benefits package and retirement. UVM Medical center takes care of its employees.
A long time ago
Psychiatric Resident (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTNovember 20, 2017
I worked as a resident. There was a struggle with the work/life balance. The old guard came from an expectation of >80 hours/week even though guidelines had changed to forbid this practice.
great department
Pre- Operative Nurse (Current Employee) –  Burlington, VTAugust 27, 2017
I work in a great department. I do not go home stressed however I am aware that other floors are understaffed and overworked. trying to get everything done in a shift and to meet everyones needs. I wish there were more conferences we could attend. Otherwise my manager is helpful and I work with supportive collegues.
Trauma Center
Staff RN (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTAugust 17, 2017
Very busy and sometimes hectic days. Offered many learning experiences. pleasant workplace culture. Extended call shifts were difficult. Great surgeons, level one trauma center, adrenaline rush.
Pros
great hospital
Cons
Location was too far from whee I live.
Good place to learn
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTAugust 15, 2017
There are many opportunities to learn since this is a teaching hospital. The patients have multiple medical problems and can be challenging to care for. I learned many nursing skills, the management was supportive and there was a culturally diverse work force. The hours can be long and physically challenging. The most enjoyable part of the job was to see the patients get better and go home.
Pros
various learning experiences
Cons
Lack of accountability for middle management
Nurse Manager (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTAugust 13, 2017
I found some other nurse managers to be cut-throat and very unprofessional and rude. The RNs are unionized and the relationship between the hospital and the union was adversarial. This made is very difficult to deal with low performer and carry out disciplinary action.
Pros
Large, tertiary care center where I learned a tremendous amount about running and ICU.
Cons
So large nothing ever seemed to get done.
Very productive place to work'lots of smiling faces
Pharmacy Technician Trainee (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTApril 12, 2016
A very busy day at work bringing in heart patients,placing holter monitors on patients,doing ekg's and phone calling I enjoy patient contact all day long.We are a team,work great together.
Pros
I love my hours-Monday to friday, social person
Cons
sometimes we don't get breaks, people out so have to help out more
Always Learning
Project Manager/LPN/MAll (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTNovember 24, 2015
FAHC was an exciting environment to work in, as the ability to work and continue to learn was a daily activity. I truly enjoyed my career and my employer for the advancements and opportunities they offer their staff.
Patient Financial Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTOctober 24, 2015
I worked in Patient Financial Services. The manager of that department is one of the kindest, sweetest people, I have ever worked for. She has a complete understanding of what is needed. She backs her employees up 100%. When you start your position, your training is thorough and complete. Loved the job.
Good benefits, good culture
Licensed Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Burlington, VTAugust 24, 2015
FAHC now University of Vermont Medical Center has for the most part been a great place to work. Great bunch of teammates and managers on average. The job of nurses aid comes with both physical and emotional challenges working very closely with the patient population. But is can be a very rewarding career.
Pros
job security, good cafeteria, role always in demand, great benefits
Cons
frequently missing breaks, teamwork culture challenges, staffing shortages.
Great job
A Senior Code Alert Operator (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTJune 14, 2015
I loved working with Fletcher Allen Healthcare and taking care of patients, hospitals, doctors needs. I am a people oriented person and take great pride in helping others. This job was fulfilling and challenging and I left work every day knowing that I had helped others.
Pros
Great benefits, great personnel
Cons
Management needed to address urgent issues rather than put them off till later
Very Productive
Operating Room Assistant (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VermontApril 22, 2015
I loved working at Fletcher Allen. The people were wonderful and I learnt so much. The best part of my job were the patients. If I could give a little hope, then I did my job.
Challenging but rewarding work in Mental Health.
Psychiatric Units, assisting patients (Current Employee) –  Burlington, VTSeptember 16, 2014
Day to day a supported work environment from management to co-workers. Providing care, support and supervision for patients. I am constantly learning from the nursing staff, management and other staff members. Although days may be similar, each day has it's own set of dynamics and needs to constantly be evaluated. The hardest part of the job would be sitting at night for extended periods of time. The part that is most enjoyable is to understand more about mental health, and to know that we have a part in the daily care that helps each patient attain their baseline and be ready for discharge.
Emergency Dept is fast paced and fun
physician assistant (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTSeptember 16, 2014
I loved my position at the Emergency Dept. Unfortunately, due to some life changes, I could not work shift work any longer and had to change to a more 8-5 work day position.
Love the job and my coworkeers.
Staff Nurse II (Current Employee) –  Burlington, VTSeptember 6, 2014
I love working with the oncology patients and end of life patients. We have a cohesive team among doctors and nurses. Management is where I wish things were better.