Flight Centre

Flight Centre Employee Reviews

United States51 reviews

travelbalanceculturecompanyenvironmentplacepeoplegood

fun people

Fun environment! great global company, great industry. had latitude to expand and focus projects as needed. a little disorganized, they kept changing my manager. most people are great

Ok place to work

They expect a lot but give no compensation. Do a salary comparison before you accept the job because the competitors pay more. They try to give a lot of perks to distract from the pay but that doesn’t pay the bills.

Flight Centre insights

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Support from manager
  • Trust in colleagues

Culture Over Compensation

Flight Centre is a good place to work if you just want to put some time in for a paycheck. They have a generous vacation policy compared to US businesses and some travel benefits if you want to book their preferred suppliers for all-inclusives. Also, drinking on the job is encouraged - it's part of the culture!Besides that, workers deal with a very top-down corporate structure. All decisions come down from head office in Australia, regardless of whether or not they make sense for the local region. Since Covid there's been an attitude of do more with way less, but there's always enough money to buy some niche company to increase market share. Management consistently makes poor long-term choices and seems to have no idea what they are doing as the direction bounces from one half-baked idea to another. This is mostly because the only way to get promoted in this company is to be drinking buddies with current leadership. But seriously, you can drink on the job.

Work at this company is challenging yet rewarding. Love the environment. Working for an Australian based company that cares about its workers is priceless.

No direction. No compensation.

Employees are left in dark. There is I clear department outline or future plan. Most people are doing at least 3 other peoples jobs. And we are burnt out. No raises in years. No promotions. Promises travel perks but there are none unless you are a VP. Would rather them spend money on raises or bonuses than sending C suites around the world.

March 3, 2022
Thank you for your taking the time to give your feedback. 2020 and 2021 were two of the toughest years in our 40 year history. It was an extremely challenging and difficult set of circumstances to find ourselves in and we appreciate the hardest hit were, unfortunately, our amazing people. Whilst we know that our Flighties are resilient, as we continue to move out of this COVID period, we are focusing on the mental, physical, and emotional wellbeing of our people as priority number one. Furthermore, we couldn’t be more excited that as a result of travel re-opening we will finally be able to fully embrace the benefits of being a global company spanning over 20 countries - with the return of our numerous travel perks for all of our people. Thanks again for your review and we wish you all the best in the future.

Can be fun but also overwhelming

What can I saw about Flight Centre? I enjoyed my first few years there but management from the top to my direct management was awful. I am however thankful for what I learned.

Pros

Travel benefits

Cons

401k small match, pay, management

Don't work there

Not a good company to work for. They lie about a guaranteed minimum salary your first year but fire you before the year if you don't make the quotas.

Fun workplace and great perks

This company is great for those who love yo travel and help create wonderful vacations. However, there are no raises and the room for advancement is limited.

Pros

Travel perks

Cons

Low pay

A fun place to work at.

I learned a lot personally and professionally that I’ll carry with me moving forward. Too bad covid got in the way of my position at this company because I loved what I was doing and the people that I was working with.

Pros

Fun environment. Great people. Encourages proper work life balance.

Cons

Pay could be better.

September 29, 2021
Thanks so much for your review, we’re so pleased to know you had a positive experience and created some happy memories during your time at FCTG. We look forward to hopefully crossing paths again in the future.

High Stress low Reward

Expect to work long days, set unrealistic goals and not be compensated for overtime financially or with flexibility. Flight Centre is such a mixed bag, your experience will really depend on the culture of the store you end up in which is heavily influenced by the personalities and values of management. Something I didn't know going in (which I wish I did) was the commission culture of the company. You are payed peanuts for an exorbitant amount of skilled jobs and responsibilities you are required to take on. As well as being expected to go to monthly un-paid meeting outside of work up to 30mins drive from your work and can last for many hours (which you are not compensated for unless you consider a glass of wine and nibbles equivalent, i don't). Overall it taught me what to avoid in a future employer.

Pros

Flexible around personal appointments, Networking with people in the industry

Cons

Inability to take breaks, Unpaid Overtime, High stress environment, Low Pay

The company is very big on employee happiness.

I loved working at Flight Centre until I was laid off. The training was great. They encourage ongoing training. The benefits were great and management was very understanding when it came to personal issues. A great place to work!

Overall Great Time

It was an enjoyable time filled with great memories and lots of learning. If I was able to do it again I probably would. You will learn a lot and it will give you the opportunity to lead if you give it the shot it needs.

Pros

Culture, uncapped commission, travel benefits

Cons

Work life balance, have to work hard for your money

September 29, 2021
We're so glad that you enjoyed your time at FCTG and made some great memories along the way. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We wish you all the best and hope our paths cross again in the future!

Bad leadership dribbles down

When the executive leadership team backstabs and doesn’t trust each other, it’s going to leak down to everyone else. Lead by example, not by bum kissing for fear of losing your own job.

Pros

Travel perks of you are able to pay for your flights

Cons

Toxic

Great brands and great company

If you're looking at a job within Flight Centre - look no further. I've held multiple non-sales roles within the company and can tell you it's a great place to work. Please note FC owns about 40 brands around the world so some reviews on these sites may or may not be relevant to what you're applying for - for example, a lot of roles are sales (travel agents, BDMs, etc.) and they are totally different than non-sales roles. Flight Centre is big on retaining talent, so there's a ton of room to grow and move up in the business. It adapts to the changing environment & hires to fit needs to make it successful in the future. Even during covid, culture and team morality have been great. It's a work hard play hard environment but you can still maintain a good work-life balance, your work goes recognized and everyone wants to see you succeed.

Pros

work-life balance, skills you develop, events pre-covid

Cons

Healthcare could be better, compensation varies

I liked working there.Got furloughed due to corona

I liked working there.Got furloughed due to corona. It was a great work environment and I thought they had created a great culture. It was a pleasure to work for them.

They don’t care

Employees at Flight Centre are numbers on a page. If flight centre is struggling they just take it out on their employees. The management is a joke and offers no real assistance towards building a proper career. They are a bottom line business which is fine but frustrating when they swear it is about their people. It is not about their people, the people are simply the first to go when times are tough

Seem to care more about having huge/pricey celebrations

would care more about being appreciated without all the drinking/partying managers have favorites that are chosen for promotions for no other reason than who they are and not what you can do

Disliked it very much

Not a good experience. May be better for some but it wasn’t for me at all. My boss was rude and lied to her customers and I had to cover for her. Hated it

Productive & Fun Workplace

People were amazing & nice environment to work with.. & learn new things in everyday job Only thing is Job stability is not great..benefits, work culture, compensation everything is good

Mis management

CTO and IT Director at Montvale both need a kick up the ****. I was reporting to the IT Director and being technically sound at what I do, I have good reviews where ever I've been. However, a combination of inferiority complex and lack of confidence amongst the leadership team will be the downfall of this department. Instead of retaining quality talent and encouraging out of the box thinking and enthusiasm for software development, this management chooses to come up with the lamest excuse, "We don't like your style of working and you don't fit with the company culture".

Good company, good benefits

I'd recommend this company. Some things about the culture are weird but that's true anywhere. I would not work here if you have difficulty being flexible or expect clear communications from your management team.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Flight Centre. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits