FlightSafety International Employee Reviews

A strong company that invests in its employees.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLOctober 1, 2018
Despite the corporate culture some employees have described, it's a very large company that is organized and collaborative. Depending on your department that experience can vary based on customer demand and individual learning center success. Training is at the core of their mission and its not lost anywhere along the way, regardless of your occupation. Standardization has streamlined much of the operation which allows for better collaboration and resources to learn from. Benefits are typical in addition, Berkshire Hathaway discounts at a variety of companies-cellular, hotels and restaurants. Management supported its supervisors and managers- at least from my experiences and went above and beyond in their support of their employees. Employment with the company was very much enjoyed. Unfortunately in my situation I needed to relocate and with short notice, regardless of that, management was still supportive and definitely left a positive impression.
Pros
Great culture
Cons
None to speak of. Change is always a constant.
Might have been an awesome place 25 years ago.
Simulator Technician II (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCSeptember 30, 2018
While I worked for FlightSafety, Int'l for several years at two separate locations. I also had chances to visit other centers from time to time giving me some insight as to the job culture at any given center.

I can speak only as a previously employed Simulator Technician II.

Every location I either worked or visited had the same type of managerial mindset, and the simulation department would be the same too.

What I mean by the above statement is this.
Managers really didn't put effort into helping you obtain the skills necessary for a possible promotion. The same for your fellow sim techs, save for a small few generally they would keep their experiences and knowledge all to themselves in fear of you maybe getting better at the cost of their lively hood.

Managers were great talkers, however not so much at taking action. I've never in my life met so many procrastinators in management. Wait until the absolute final moment to perform their duty. When it was something that was the other way around where you needed to submit something for them however, it was "i need this back as fast as you can." Less than a day later, "why haven't you finished it."

My last Manager would literally hound me to death anytime an event that he would make up for people to get together outside of work about why I didn't come, or bring my wife.

I had already explained to him multiple times, work is work and what I do on my time is my business. I believe that by doing these small outside work meeting where only a select few show for whatever reason creates what is known
  more... in FlightSafety as the "Good Ole Boys Club." Anyone not in it or decides not to participate is left out on potential job advancements and generally shunned on a day to day basis by not only managers but by fellow simulator technicians.

What's really an eye opener is when you see what you receive for relocation incentive once you are know longer a lowly Simulator Technician. As a sim tech I would be offered at most $2500 for relocating. Didn't matter how far away.

When I was offered the position as a Simulator Qualification Technician, which is the sub-supervisor if the supervisor is on vacation/sick. The relocation for that was unbelievably great. There was no worry about reimbursement. It was a huge package deal where a moving company would come and do everything for you. Your vehicles would be transported via a carrier service to the new location. You would be flown out to the area for 1 week receiving pay +per diem to search for a place to live. 2 weeks after that you and your wife would be flown out once (another week) more to decide on the place to live while receiving pay plus per diem for you and your spouse.

Finally you would be flown out for the last time to arrive at your new residence where your vehicles would already be along with all of your furniture, clothing, appliances, etc. The heavy stuff would be placed into the home/apartment already, all of the smaller things you had to unpack and deal with.

Well more than $2500 dollars. What a massive difference I thought to myself. I couldn't believe how badly the company would do majority of it's vital workforce. While the upper 25% received such unthinkable care free aid w/o any worries about spending a dollar out of your pocket save for any meal or soda purchased, but that too was covered by the per diem.

Good place if you are in the higher ranks, from what I've been told. I turned down the SQT Position due to the Salary being subpar for the cost of living of the area I would be living.

I ended up leaving FlightSafety, and now work as an ordinary Simulator Tech still but earn more than the salary offered to me for the SQT position.

They are underpaying the living dickens out of so many people within the company, but not the upper management....no no.
Pros
If you come in higher up in the ranks, you'll make a fair salary.
Cons
Being anything below upper management and your life will drag by, Stressed out becomes a whole new way of life.
Company is unstable and consistent lay offs
Receiving Clerk/Inventory Control (Former Employee) –  Broken Arrow, OKSeptember 21, 2018
In my two years I saw several lay offs and finally succumb to one. Shut downs in whole departments. The people I worked with were amazing, the politics not so much
Good Company to work for
Flight Simulator Technician (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKSeptember 18, 2018
Good company to work for. Cares about their employees as well as takes good care of their customers. Always fair and has great customer service. Good company to work for
Atmosphere
C-5 ADMINISTRATIVE SPECIALIST/C-5 ATS SCHEDULER (Former Employee) –  Altus AFB, OKAugust 24, 2018
My 15 year career with FlightSafety was a super experience. Coworkers were such awesome people. I loved working with the instructors, the students and the coworkers within the scheduling office. We all were like one large family.
Pros
Health benefits, extra PTO
Flight Safety no so great
Network Administrator\PC Technician (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSAugust 23, 2018
Flight Safety is not so great. They are to caught up in the corporate scene and are way outta touch with their employees. They talk about how they care about everyone that works there but that's all it is is talk. Plus their flight training is way to expensive when there are better alternatives to renew your pilots license.
Pros
nice people
Cons
Very bad managment
Productive Employment
Facilities Maintenance Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Moonachie, NJJuly 31, 2018
Fully owned subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway, culturally diverse work force. Exciting to be employed by an industry leader. The Company is dedicated to the wellness of all Internal Clients.
In a word, Insulting
Part 135 Coordinator/Records (Current Employee) –  DFW, TXJuly 15, 2018
I hear that once upon a time this was a great place to work. Now you will be hard-pressed to find anyone who isn't complaining about their job. The pay has dropped over the years, to the point where it is insulting compared to the industry average. The management is a joke, and they clearly don't have a clue what they are doing. They are a select core that is part of a click, and it is very apparent that when one rose through the ranks, they took all their friends with them. There is a reason why they always have openings, no one wants to be there, and they don't pay enough to put up with the BS when you are there. I cannot wait to leave.
Great people, poor management in Planning Dept.
Planning clerk (Current Employee) –  Broken Arrow, OKJune 18, 2018
Company is great and innovative. Management lacks something to be desired in the Planning Dept. I’m leaving strictly because of management. There are layoffs and restructuring that don’t always make sense to the companies benefit.
Pros
Breaks, paid vacations, great benefits.
Good workplace culture
Aviation Training Instructor (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GAJune 2, 2018
Hours are average depending on the number of clients in-house per week. There is no room for advancement, instructors come here to retire and that usually doesn't happen till they are 75 to 80 years old.
A great company to work for
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Centennial, COMay 30, 2018
Offered me the opportunity to learn new things. Good corporate culture. Good coworkers. Offered me the opportunity to travel. The company reimburses for professional certification.
Good Company
OPERATIONS AND COMPLIANCE MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 22, 2018
FSI is an good company to work for. Quality of life, great benefits are a few of the advantages but not much room for growth without a pilot license.
Locations all over the U.S and internationally
Pros
quality of life and benefits
Cons
Pay, Culture, and Morale
Berkshire Hathaway Company with great benefits
Teammate Resource Administrator (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 21, 2018
Opportunity to learn is tremendous, career growth for HR is limited. Very structured culture, formal atmosphere, great people to work with, very professional.
Very Interesting
Simulator/Ground School Instructor/Check Airman (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 12, 2018
Great place to work if you love aviation but for some reason wont or cant work for an airline. Home every day and you work with like-minded intelligent people who are there because they want to.
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Broken Arrow, OKMay 3, 2018
Great Teammates and product. You are able to travel, and learn from upper management. I learned how to manage projects and manage the team and the budget.
Flight Instructor in Citation XL/XLS (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 3, 2018
Great place to work, demanding schedule but great management and people. Pay was a little low for level and amount of work and training required. Over all would recommend
good experience
Corporate Cabin Crew Safety Instructor (Former Employee) –  long beach caApril 24, 2018
I enjoyed working for this company and would work for them again.. Culture was pleasant, compensation was good, and overall it was a good experience,
Good people to work with and home every day
Sim Instructor (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GAApril 21, 2018
Good place to work if you want to be a pilot and home every night. Great clients and employees to work with and you get exposure to and can maintain currency in the latest aviation technologies.
Pros
Dont live out of a suitcase
Cons
Low salary based on qualifications
Good Place To Work
Mechanical Design Engineer (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 10, 2018
Good place to work. High tech, interesting product. A little lack of organization in team leads to some scrambling to meet deadlines. Positive work environment.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Lack of organization
They really will amazed you on their lack of leadership changed that had lately ocurred!
Ground/Flight Simulator Instructor (Former Employee) –  Kissimmee, FLMarch 24, 2018
The leadership changed for worst have make FlightSafety International the worst company you can give a thrust! It has changed for the worst! lets see how much it will last!
Pros
Pay good but not retirement to relay!
Cons
Changed in leadership style!