Flint Hills Resources
Happiness rating is 61 out of 100

Flint Hills Resources Employee Reviews

United States295 reviews

Fun challenging work, training for specific job duties lacking in orientation period. Project managers were great to work with. No overtime pay to salary employees even if work load or shutdown required it.

Pros

Great benefits and fair pay

Cons

Job orientation on specific company systems was lacking

Can't remember to be honest

The schedule was the only thing great about working there. You could get all the over time you wanted. Upper management created a toxic work environment.

Flint Hills Resources insights

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Fair pay for job
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • Overall satisfaction
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Trust in colleagues

High-functioning Strategic Leadership

The management of the three plants at which I worked was astounding. From Operations, to HR, to Quality, they were all great. I was sad when the ethanol business was sold, but it made sense in Market Based Management.

Pros

Great work environment Worked to develop people Open atmosphere

Cons

The unit was sold

Busy, interesting, and fun

You will learn a lot and stay busy. Coworkers click together pretty good. Hours are long. Working nights can be tough depending on your sleep pattern adaptability.

Heavy workload for little wages, bad culture

This company will work you to death. They want a large number of hours out of you and if you’re hourly they want the work done but anything over 40 hours they don’t want to pay for. They would say no overtime is allowed then give you a workload of at least 50 hours but you were not allowed to clock any hours over 40. The entire company seems to think that working for a Koch company is equivalent to being a life-saving surgeon, or God. On the bright side, they were flexible with schedules/appointments and the building was newer with a restaurant, dry cleaning services, and gift store.

Pros

Nice building

Cons

Minimum wages, culture, workload

April 18, 2022
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and leave us feedback. I am disappointed to read of your experience a healthy work-life balance is a focus at all our companies. Please know that I will be sharing this feedback with the appropriate leadership team as opportunities moving forward. Thank you again, Cali from Talent Solutions.

Old Fashioned, a few steps behind the other Koch Companies

Let me start with I worked with nice folks in a respectful environment, its far from a toxic work environment. That being said, FHR IT is old fashioned in how its managed compared to other IT departments from its competitors and even other Koch Companies. Over the past couple of years its been increasingly clear that FHR struggles to keep talent from leaving. It seems to be due to mix of stricter "Work from Office" policy, less than competitive compensation adjustments, and a disconnect between upper management and everyone else.

Pros

Nice People, Learned A Lot

Cons

Slow Career Advancement, No WFH

Great summer working in FHR IT

The IT internship allows current college students to come in and do real work on a variety of projects and to do a deep-dive into Koch culture and the 8 Principles. The mentors, supervisors, and managers involved in the IT internship are complete rock stars and really put effort into making the summer a memorable experience in the strive to sign full-time employees post-grad. I would recommend this summer internship to anyone interested in software development or functional IT work (project management, applications, etc.)

Pros

Good entry level pay, strong culture focus, flexibility of work

Cons

Recruiting placement

Great company

Not so good on raises. You literally have to add a drastic value to the company in order to get a raise. Great company and incentives are amazing.

Everyone follows the guiding principles. The senior leadership can bend it more than others, and people notice.

There is a private business philosophy that guides the company. All are encouraged to read/learn/absorb it. Formal training is only offered to supervisors. The rest need to figure it out. Challenge decisions with data, unless it is your supervisor. They totally control your compensation. Don’t challenge the raise manager.Very vague and arbitrary compensation structure. Pay is “market average”. Thus lower than most in your industry.

Pros

Many hands make light work.

Cons

Must spend lots of time promoting yourself. Low raises if not done.

February 4, 2022
Hello, thank you for taking the time to write a review and for all your hard work at FHR. Our Guiding Principles define who we are as an organization, and it is our expectation that everyone, at every level, is being a steward of MBM. As a current employee, I encourage you to share your concerns and ideas with your supervisor or HR contact. Please know I’ve passed this review along to the appropriate leadership teams. Wishing you all the best, Cali from Talent Solutions.

Miscommunication from upper management to front line leaders occurs often

Little regard for personal safety. Safety issues were discovered, the safety issues were disregarded. Costs of repairs was considered too expensive. Much of the equipment that was deemed unsafe was still being used daily.

Pros

It's a job

Cons

Personal consideration for hourly employees is almost nonexistent

December 22, 2021
Thank you for sharing your experience and feedback. Safety is always our first priority, and we take this feedback seriously. I will be raising this immediate to the appropriate teams for review. Thank you again- Molly from Talent Solutions.

Flint hills is the best place I’ve ever worked, the management was supportive and you were well trained

The management was excellent other than a few inexperienced maintenance managers that traveled through. Plenty of over time and great pay. The plant closed last year and the severance packages were more that expected. The team setting was excellent there was always someone willing to help with any task.

Pros

Pay, training and the opportunity to travel

Cons

Plant closed

Great coworkers but horrible management

Met some great people while working as an operator. Sadly management is lacking in all areas. Manager is constantly looking to fire someone. Moral is horrible and constant worrying about how the boss is feeling/acting everyday. The complete lack of professionalism and blatant disrespect towards employees is outrageous. The pay is not in the ballpark of any other competitors in the oil and gas industry. Management will say that our pay was “competitive in the market” but never provide any facts or numbers to prove it. Along with the lack of pay comes the overwhelming amount of “accountability” better known as responsibility. You will have to learn to perform multiple roles such as I&E tech, corrosion tech, pipeline operator, waste management coordinator, etc. while still being underpaid as an operator. As if all this wasn’t hard enough any attempt to grow and better yourself within the company is frowned upon and held against you. If you have a chance steer clear from the southern Austin area. It’s a revolving door that has no end in sight. If they were smart they would take a look at what the one constant is and take care of the issue. Until then they will continue to lose great people to the competition.

Cons

The terminal manager! Lack of competitive pay

Long hours and disconnected management

I worked at Flint Hills back when it was Koch pipeline company. At that time, the company was having to hire more ppl to meet their reporting requirements for OSHA, EPA, TCEQ etc. The hours were a killer. A typical day would involve writing permits for contractors, fixing the loading equipment in the rack, doing required inspections and maintenance. There was fuel to be tested and validated and samples to be pulled. All it took was for an additive truck to show up, the VRU to go down or the product filters to clog up and need to be changed and it was a 16 hour day. Management did not/ could not hire enough ppl to cover all the work. Turn over was a issue do to the long hours. Operators were required to work days but then be on call at night. Due to the issues we had with the rack at that time that meant working all day and not getting enough sleep due to callouts. Operators were required to be oncall for a week at a time which meant not having a weekend or getting any meaningful rest.Management's response to this was to pile the work on and then complain that we worked too many hours. I even suggested working on nights which would have largely solved the call out issues and management turned a deaf ear. Turnover was high due to burn out and low pay. They advertised a decent salary but in order to make that, working long weeks was the norm. Hours per week often exceeded 90 hours.Pay was below the industry standard. Raises were paltry and not in touch with the workload or the increased responsibility . Benefits were good.

Pros

Free lunches from time to time

Cons

Long hours, low pay, lack of support from management.

December 22, 2021
Hi, this is Molly from the Talent Solutions team. I wanted to first thank you for taking the time to leave us a review and share your experience. Work life balance and competitive compensation are important focuses for our employees, and you provide a great reminder on this. Please know that I have raised this to the appropriate leadership teams as feedback. Thank you again!

busy

good place to work for the area. Pay is good for the area and not terrible hours. Recently went through new change in owner so things may be different but over all a good place to work.

Overall great company

Company culture is more than a list of slogans or buzz words. People are judged uoon their merits and contribution to the company. No two ppl have the same role as it is dependant upon individual capabilities and personal growth then a job title.

Pros

Mbm culture

Cons

Sometimes mutual benefit to society means you get sold

Ok

Was good. They sold us. Sechedule wasnt great. Worked for year and a half it was ok. I really dont want to write much else this seems stupid that i have to write to read reviews

Pros

Ok

Cons

Ok

Great culture

Always something to learn and culture is not just on paper they live it. There is always room to grow and the work environment is wonderful. They always have a open line of communication.

Excellent workplace, great culture

I worked in the Longview Tx facility for 5 years and loved it. I found the management to be very supportive and they genuinely wanted their people to succeed. I would have stayed there but we chose to leave Texas because of the heat and fires.

Pros

Great culture, excellent pay and benefits

May 11, 2021
Hello, this is Liz from Talent Solutions. Thank you for taking the time to share about your Koch experience, and for your 5 years of service at our Longview facility! We wish you all the best.

Ruined by one poor manager

Was a great expierence and they take work very seriously. The whole office truly was one big family and it was fun to be a part of. That being said, my manager was very poor at his job. The only manager of all of them that wasnt excellent. Overall id recommend it to many.

March 15, 2021
Thank you for sharing your feedback and taking the time to leave us a review. I am happy to read that your experience was overall positive and the team was supportive and fulfilling during your time. Thank you again- Molly from Talent Solutions

Work V Home

This job paid well, but the balance between home life and work life wasn't very good for me, If you are a young person, looking to work A LOT of hours, this is the place for you, though this may have changed since I was there.

Pros

The benefits were very good at Flint Hills.

Cons

It seemed that they required you to work as much overtime as possible, For a married person with children, this may be difficult.

good place to work. no bureaucracy

Flint hills is a good place to work. They are fair, give you room to do your job and there isnt much bureaucracy. In addition, Flint Hills is part of Koch so there is plenty of opportunity to move around, if that is what you like to do

Pros

good management

Cons

compensation could be a little better

Common questions about Flint Hills Resources

Answered by current and former employees at Flint Hills Resources

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Flint Hills Resources. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.8 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.9Personal Development
3.7Career Opportunities
2.5Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight

Compare Flint Hills Resources with

• Flint Hills Resources
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?