Flint Hills Resources

Corpus Christi, TX75 reviews

flintkochhillmbmbenefitrefineryprinciplesafety

Flint Hills Resources insights

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Fair pay for job
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Trust in colleagues
  • General feeling of work happiness

Busy, interesting, and fun

You will learn a lot and stay busy. Coworkers click together pretty good. Hours are long. Working nights can be tough depending on your sleep pattern adaptability.

Everyone follows the guiding principles. The senior leadership can bend it more than others, and people notice.

There is a private business philosophy that guides the company. All are encouraged to read/learn/absorb it. Formal training is only offered to supervisors. The rest need to figure it out. Challenge decisions with data, unless it is your supervisor. They totally control your compensation. Don’t challenge the raise manager.Very vague and arbitrary compensation structure. Pay is “market average”. Thus lower than most in your industry.

Pros

Many hands make light work.

Cons

Must spend lots of time promoting yourself. Low raises if not done.

February 4, 2022
Hello, thank you for taking the time to write a review and for all your hard work at FHR. Our Guiding Principles define who we are as an organization, and it is our expectation that everyone, at every level, is being a steward of MBM. As a current employee, I encourage you to share your concerns and ideas with your supervisor or HR contact. Please know I’ve passed this review along to the appropriate leadership teams. Wishing you all the best, Cali from Talent Solutions.

Good ole boy

Great opportunity to advance if you were in the good ole boy club or a yes man. But the safety culture was outstanding. Many great people who worked there but also a lot of old timers that were stuck in their ways .

Pros

Safety and work culture

Cons

Little room for growth

Professional development

Flint hills has spent a lot of time and money into developing me into a highly marketable and knowledgeable employee in my field specialty. The management treats their people very well. There are a few small corks about working for this company. But nothing that would keep me from ever going back or recommending it to others.

September 2, 2020
Thank you for sharing your feedback and experience! I am happy to hear that you found the management team and overall culture supportive to your career and knowledge. Please know that I will be sharing this with the local leadership as feedback. Thank you- Molly from Talent Solutions

Health Benefits

Great place to work, but the best health insurance plan they offer is high deductible. Other refineries offer at least one copay plan or they contribute some to an HSA account for employees. This can take a big hit on your yearly pay. Been paying basically all health cost out of pocket the whole year, can never reach the deductible amount.

February 13, 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review and share your feedback around health insurance benefits. We do work to provide supportive benefits for our employees and we value you this feedback. Please know that I am sharing this with the appropriate leadership as opportunities moving forward. Thank you!- Molly from Talent Solutions

Employer that wants someone is willing to work

Flint Hills Recources, I learn a lot of safety, repectful work place, be a team player, busy and working with 7 departments made it more interessted. I enjoyed going to work.

What I have learned

I have learned the value of team work. Understanding of process. Trouble shooting problems. Taking proper safety measures Adding value to the company by becoming a better employee

January 24, 2020
Hi, this is Molly from Talent Solutions and I wanted to say thank you for your work and for taking the time to share your experience. I am happy to read that you have learned not only many valuable skill sets, but also a greater understanding of safety and our company. Thank you for all of your work and I will be sharing this feedback with the local leadership group. Thanks!

Potentially lower compensation relative to the refining industry

Compared to the Houston market it seems like they do not compensate as well as the rest of the industry. For not being in a major demand center I would expect the compensation to be stronger than it is.

January 16, 2020
Thank you for all of your work and taking the time to leave us a review. While we work to stay competitive in the market in both compensation and opportunities, we appreciate this feedback. I will be sharing this with the appropriate teams and thank you again- Molly from Talent Solutions

Good company to work for, but expectations are very high

Ethical, compliance-based company. Management is hit or miss, but in general, good managers. The most enjoyable part of the job is all of the great employees FHR hires.

December 11, 2019
Hello, this is Molly from Talent Solutions. That you for not only your hard work and efforts, but for taking the time to leave your feedback and experience. Our employees are at the core of what we do, and we agree, they are great. Thank you again for sharing!

Excellent company to work for driven by company mbm

Flint hills resources was an amazing company to work for. It provided ample growth opportunities and resources to strengthen one's skillset. I was pleased with the work environment, collaboration amongst fellow employees and the culture driven throughout the corporation. I would highly recommend this company to anyone seeking stability, growth opportunities and the ability/will to better themselves and company.

October 17, 2019
I wanted to thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and write us a review. I am so happy to hear that you are finding the growth opportunities, stability and culture to be supportive and overall rewarding to work at. We appreciate all of your hard work and I will be sure to pass this on to the appropriate leadership team as feedback. Thank you- Molly from Talent Solutions

Positive Work Environment

Flint Hills Resources provides a positive work environment. Team work is abundant, while the opportunity to be imaginative on improvement processes is both available and encouraged.

September 4, 2019
Hi- this is Molly from Talent Solutions and I wanted to thank you for taking the time to leave a review and share your experience. I am happy to hear you have found the team great to work with and opportunities to further grow. I will be sharing this with the appropriate leadership teams as feedback. Thank you!

stressful and unrealistic

Always reminding that no overtime is allowed and defining unrealistic goals. Absolutely no room for advancement. Expectations of using tools and equipment not having been trained on

Pros

decent benefits

Cons

Work for unrealistic goals

All good

Good place to work, no issues. I'm a shift worker. So schedule was my normal. Just looking for something a little different schedule wise. Co workers were good.

Management is poor.

No room for advancement. Management holds employees back and doesn't approve of switching career paths. Back stabbing from every level of employees. Can't trust anyone.

Pros

good money

Cons

Poor Management. Lack of support. No support from other operators. Back stabbing from every level.

Great People, Good culture

Strong emphasis on EHS that goes beyond Industry Standards and oftentimes beyond what is necessary, but results in a safe work environment. For being an privately owned company, decisions and processes are more bureaucratic than would be expected which causes inefficiencies and delays in routine work. The goal for compensation is to find the minimum that they can pay to keep their employees. Overall it is a good place to work.

Pros

Great people, strong safety culture

Cons

Bureaucracy, inefficiencies

Awesome

Great place to work. Many benefits (health insurance, vision insurance, dental insurance, 401k), competitive salary. Safety and Environmental impact are top priorities.

I would work for KPL again

I would work there again given opportunity. I had 7 good years there and went through a lot of change. I had several really good managers at KPL and learned a lot while working there.

It was all right working there

Bunch of young inexperienced operators in th wrong positions, they were young overconfident cut throat groups. Always conspiring to get someone in trouble it was never ending. Could never be comfortable with just about everyone tough crowd.

Pros

It was ok job to work there

Cons

Inexperienced young group

FlintHills com

I was a good place to work, the work is hard and it is also good information to what you will be doing, the class setting was good to me because of the fact the company took time to edge cate you on the company.

Competitive

Pay scale is competitive; team players only need apply. Great bonuses very 6 months, paid vacation, and sick leave. Health benefits are comparable to others in the market.

Pros

Great Benefits

Great potential, rough around the edges

You will see a lot of the same issues at FHR that you will see elsewhere. People stuck in old ways, paradigms to break, and who you know is just as important as what you know. They are working on it, and have made a lot of progress in the past year.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Flint Hills Resources. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.8 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits