Flint Hills Resources
Happiness rating is 61 out of 100

Flint Hills Resources Employee Reviews in Rosemount, MN

Rosemount, MN22 reviews

flintkochhillmbmrefinerysafetyplantprinciple

Good place to grow and learn

Great paying job in the refinery business . Job is similar to reliability engineer. Focus is on long term projects that meet key business objectives.

Official response from Flint Hills Resources

November 30, 2020
Hello, thank you for your review and for all your hard work at our Rosemount facility! Please know that I am sharing this with the appropriate leadership team as feedback. Wishing you all the best, Cali from the Talent Solutions team.

Great people and a great environment

Worked as an intern for a couple months. My internship was almost exclusively remote due to Covid. However, management and HR worked with me and even extended my internship 1.5 months. Remote work made it difficult to connect with coworkers and network, but my supervisor did an excellent job at making me feel involved and giving me direction during a turbulent time.Overall, I learned a lot during the internship, and all the people I met were very friendly and welcoming, I felt like I fit into the culture very well.

Pros

Friendly, helpful coworkers

Cons

Covid has slowed down their business and frozen some hiring

Flint Hills Resources insights

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Fair pay for job
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • Overall satisfaction
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Trust in colleagues

Work Environment

Learned a lot loved all my coworkers. Supervisor was empowering and energetic. Allowed you to pursue your interest to the betterment of the department. MBM

Pros

MBM Culture

Mixed expectations from leadership

It seemed, at times, that image was more important than results. The culture was competitive internally, which reduced collaboration. If you asked a technical expert for help with a technical problem in their area of expertise, they often went to your boss to explain how you were incompetent. Other leaders there were excelled at leadership with clear expectations and data-based decision making. It seemed that the favorites and people who started there as interns adapted to the culture the best and got promoted faster. If you are well in to your career, ask tough questions around those things at your interview, and proceed with caution. However, Koch Industries results speak for themselves, so don't let my interpretation of the culture dissuade you; they're doing something right!

Pros

State of the art facility

Cons

Strange, often disjointed culture

Official response from Flint Hills Resources

September 13, 2019
Hello- I wanted to thank you for taking the time to leave us a review and share your experience. I am sorry to hear that you felt collaboration was stifled because of internal competitiveness. Innovation is key to our culture and business and in order to innovate, we encourage our employees to collaboratively learn, challenge and develop new ideas and processes. I appreciate your honest feedback though and will be sharing this with the appropriate leadership teams as reminders forward. Thank you and I wish you all the best. -Molly from Talent Solutions

Productive, different every day

good job, kept me busy with different projects, nice people to work with, overall exciting place to work. Work place culture was very respectable. There wasn't a typical day at wor, every day seemed different. The hardest part of the job was arranging catering on a last minute basis especially if there was more than one request in a day.

Pros

various duties

Cons

time constraints

Micro managed, babysitting, double standards by management

Management is good in some departments and horrible in others! Double standards are placed on employees and HR always seems to side with supervisor. When they want you out, it doesn't matter how much you try. Very unrewarding managaing union employees and rarely feel like you're supported or rewarded. Good place to gain experience if you're willing to do everything your supervisor says, even when you don't agree. Principles make sense, but not when upper mgmt doenst follow them, its hard to be an effective manager. Pays well, and could be a good workplace, if you're actually supported by mgmt!

Pros

Pay

Cons

Too many to list!

Good Place and People

Coworkers were super friendly and helpful. They looked out for each other and always asked if help was needed. Hours were kind of random. Start times were consistent but hours not necessarily guaranteed. Pay was decent.

Pros

Good coworkers

Cons

Hours can be random

Unlimited growth potential

I worked at Flint Hills Resources for nearly 15 years, and felt that the only limiting factor in my advancement was my desire. The company treated its employees well, they have good benefits, and their focus on safety is absolutely necessary.

Pros

Lots of work opportunities

Cons

Long days and TurnArounds

Good Culture

A multi-facility independent refining and chemicals company that produce fuels and petrochemicals used to manufacture goods from plastics to building products to packaging materials.

Good pay

Company first, family second. Poor management. Time off is at a premium. Benefits are not in line with other similar jobs. Nothing ever happens fast. Plant manager is great but word does not get to him about whats really going on.

Pros

Good pay

Cons

stress

Great place to work to earn good living

Compensation is great. Worked a lot of overtime but was rewarded for it. Rotating 12 hour shifts. Hands on work. Operating equipment and directing maintenance work.

Pros

Conpensation, knowledge gained.

Cons

Rotating shifts, 12 hours.

Learned a lot

As an intern, I was happy to be able to gain more experience doing chemical engineering work. I also enjoyed interacting with all the other engineers and operators at the refinery.

Great pay in fast paced environment

Safety, Quality Assurance & Compliance is a very important part of this Company. The environment is fast paced. You can go anywhere you want to with this Company.

Pros

Pay, movement within the company.

Productive and fun place to work

I've worked for FHR for 1.5 years and the best thing is the MBM culture. It is a great company to work for with great mobility opportunities. The company really stands behind its core values and rewarding employees for their performance. I also enjoyed how each is different and bring new challenges.

Pros

Given proper decision rights based on experience.

Cons

Business does fluctuate somewhat with price of oil.

8 years of working at FHR

Working at Flint Hills Resources has gained me tremendous opportunity to enhance my resume. From being a manager of a department to volunteering on the Fire department, the company has treated myself and my family with such goodness. I have experienced Turnarounds, developing department procedures and created many lasting friendships.

Pros

Advancement opprotunities

Cons

Sometimes, the job call calls for long hours - Turnarounds

Productive and enlightening environment. Very transparent organization.

I have enjoyed working for Flint Hills Resources and would recommend the Pine Bend Refinery to anyone who enjoys learning technical skills, solving problems, and can stay afloat of an ever-dynamic market.

Pros

Lots of food distributed, Building improvements of late, Good relationships with surrounding communities, Down to earth people

Cons

3% match on 401k, Parking is horrendous, Union labor.

overall a horrible place to work

the work atmosphere here is horrible. the understanding is that you only exist to work for them. was told it went like this for the priorities of your life: first koch industries, god, then family. it was like a cult. money was good but thats it. the absolute worst place i have ever worked. HR did not support you one bit

Pros

money

Cons

everything else from management, HR and down

Enjoyable and rewarding

People were great and travel and engagement with terminal staff was nice. Hardest part of job was travel. Most enjoyable part was all the varied personalities at the terminals. Management was also very approachable

intense

took up too much of my life. The money was good, but there was no opportunity for growth and the hours were not compatable with normal home life. It weighed heavy on the shift working staff.

Well Organized with safety as a main priority

Great Management and Safety practices. Overall a great environment with great people.

Pros

Great Pay

Cons

Great environment to learn about refineries.

It is a great place to work and expand your knowledge of the refinery components. 12 hour rotating schedule, work on a crew to accomplish tasks that need to be done on shift or get ready for next shift, all while maintaining good operations through out the unit. I have learned lots on how managment works in combination with the operations.

Pros

able to work inside and outside

Cons

work nights, weekends and holidays

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Flint Hills Resources. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.8 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.9Personal Development
3.7Career Opportunities
2.5Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight

Compare Flint Hills Resources with

Learn about Flint Hills Resources in Rosemount, MN

• Flint Hills Resources
  • Rosemount, MN
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?