Flint Hills Resources

United States295 reviews

Clear
3.8Pay & Benefits

flintkochhillmbmbenefitrefineryprinciplesafety

Fun challenging work, training for specific job duties lacking in orientation period. Project managers were great to work with. No overtime pay to salary employees even if work load or shutdown required it.

Pros

Great benefits and fair pay

Cons

Job orientation on specific company systems was lacking

Heavy workload for little wages, bad culture

This company will work you to death. They want a large number of hours out of you and if you’re hourly they want the work done but anything over 40 hours they don’t want to pay for. They would say no overtime is allowed then give you a workload of at least 50 hours but you were not allowed to clock any hours over 40. The entire company seems to think that working for a Koch company is equivalent to being a life-saving surgeon, or God. On the bright side, they were flexible with schedules/appointments and the building was newer with a restaurant, dry cleaning services, and gift store.

Pros

Nice building

Cons

Minimum wages, culture, workload

April 18, 2022
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and leave us feedback. I am disappointed to read of your experience a healthy work-life balance is a focus at all our companies. Please know that I will be sharing this feedback with the appropriate leadership team as opportunities moving forward. Thank you again, Cali from Talent Solutions.

Flint Hills Resources insights

What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Fair pay for job
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Trust in colleagues

Old Fashioned, a few steps behind the other Koch Companies

Let me start with I worked with nice folks in a respectful environment, its far from a toxic work environment. That being said, FHR IT is old fashioned in how its managed compared to other IT departments from its competitors and even other Koch Companies. Over the past couple of years its been increasingly clear that FHR struggles to keep talent from leaving. It seems to be due to mix of stricter "Work from Office" policy, less than competitive compensation adjustments, and a disconnect between upper management and everyone else.

Pros

Nice People, Learned A Lot

Cons

Slow Career Advancement, No WFH

Great company

Not so good on raises. You literally have to add a drastic value to the company in order to get a raise. Great company and incentives are amazing.

Everyone follows the guiding principles. The senior leadership can bend it more than others, and people notice.

There is a private business philosophy that guides the company. All are encouraged to read/learn/absorb it. Formal training is only offered to supervisors. The rest need to figure it out. Challenge decisions with data, unless it is your supervisor. They totally control your compensation. Don’t challenge the raise manager.Very vague and arbitrary compensation structure. Pay is “market average”. Thus lower than most in your industry.

Pros

Many hands make light work.

Cons

Must spend lots of time promoting yourself. Low raises if not done.

February 4, 2022
Hello, thank you for taking the time to write a review and for all your hard work at FHR. Our Guiding Principles define who we are as an organization, and it is our expectation that everyone, at every level, is being a steward of MBM. As a current employee, I encourage you to share your concerns and ideas with your supervisor or HR contact. Please know I’ve passed this review along to the appropriate leadership teams. Wishing you all the best, Cali from Talent Solutions.

Long hours and disconnected management

I worked at Flint Hills back when it was Koch pipeline company. At that time, the company was having to hire more ppl to meet their reporting requirements for OSHA, EPA, TCEQ etc. The hours were a killer. A typical day would involve writing permits for contractors, fixing the loading equipment in the rack, doing required inspections and maintenance. There was fuel to be tested and validated and samples to be pulled. All it took was for an additive truck to show up, the VRU to go down or the product filters to clog up and need to be changed and it was a 16 hour day. Management did not/ could not hire enough ppl to cover all the work. Turn over was a issue do to the long hours. Operators were required to work days but then be on call at night. Due to the issues we had with the rack at that time that meant working all day and not getting enough sleep due to callouts. Operators were required to be oncall for a week at a time which meant not having a weekend or getting any meaningful rest.Management's response to this was to pile the work on and then complain that we worked too many hours. I even suggested working on nights which would have largely solved the call out issues and management turned a deaf ear. Turnover was high due to burn out and low pay. They advertised a decent salary but in order to make that, working long weeks was the norm. Hours per week often exceeded 90 hours.Pay was below the industry standard. Raises were paltry and not in touch with the workload or the increased responsibility . Benefits were good.

Pros

Free lunches from time to time

Cons

Long hours, low pay, lack of support from management.

December 22, 2021
Hi, this is Molly from the Talent Solutions team. I wanted to first thank you for taking the time to leave us a review and share your experience. Work life balance and competitive compensation are important focuses for our employees, and you provide a great reminder on this. Please know that I have raised this to the appropriate leadership teams as feedback. Thank you again!

busy

good place to work for the area. Pay is good for the area and not terrible hours. Recently went through new change in owner so things may be different but over all a good place to work.

Excellent workplace, great culture

I worked in the Longview Tx facility for 5 years and loved it. I found the management to be very supportive and they genuinely wanted their people to succeed. I would have stayed there but we chose to leave Texas because of the heat and fires.

Pros

Great culture, excellent pay and benefits

May 11, 2021
Hello, this is Liz from Talent Solutions. Thank you for taking the time to share about your Koch experience, and for your 5 years of service at our Longview facility! We wish you all the best.

Work V Home

This job paid well, but the balance between home life and work life wasn't very good for me, If you are a young person, looking to work A LOT of hours, this is the place for you, though this may have changed since I was there.

Pros

The benefits were very good at Flint Hills.

Cons

It seemed that they required you to work as much overtime as possible, For a married person with children, this may be difficult.

good place to work. no bureaucracy

Flint hills is a good place to work. They are fair, give you room to do your job and there isnt much bureaucracy. In addition, Flint Hills is part of Koch so there is plenty of opportunity to move around, if that is what you like to do

Pros

good management

Cons

compensation could be a little better

Good coworkers but lacking in good management

The people i work with daily are helpful and supportive but the managment here looks more are the numbers and how much they can get from you without giving appropriate compensation.

November 16, 2020
Hello and thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. I’m glad to hear you’ve found your colleagues to be helpful and supportive at our Arthur location, but I encourage you to share your concerns with your Supervisor and/or local HR. Please know I’ve passed this along to the appropriate leadership teams as awareness and feedback. Wishing you all the best, Cali from the Talent Solutions team.

Rail Facility Operator

Boss was a nice guy but terrible boss. Worked my butt of in three departments but was denied a raise after a year of employment and left. They don’t seem to appreciate or invest back into their employees. Did get opportunity to work some OT for extra money.

Health Benefits

Great place to work, but the best health insurance plan they offer is high deductible. Other refineries offer at least one copay plan or they contribute some to an HSA account for employees. This can take a big hit on your yearly pay. Been paying basically all health cost out of pocket the whole year, can never reach the deductible amount.

February 13, 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review and share your feedback around health insurance benefits. We do work to provide supportive benefits for our employees and we value you this feedback. Please know that I am sharing this with the appropriate leadership as opportunities moving forward. Thank you!- Molly from Talent Solutions

Excellent place to learn and build financial analysis skills.

Excellent, stable company. Best benefits in city, competitive base wage. Constantly challenged to think and produce results- never a dull moment. No work life balance.

January 30, 2020
Thank you for sharing your experience and leaving us a review. We appreciate this feedback as we are constantly working to understand where we can grow further. Work-life balance is key to our employee’s overall satisfaction. I appreciate this feedback and wish you the best. Thank you- Molly from Talent Solutions

Potentially lower compensation relative to the refining industry

Compared to the Houston market it seems like they do not compensate as well as the rest of the industry. For not being in a major demand center I would expect the compensation to be stronger than it is.

January 16, 2020
Thank you for all of your work and taking the time to leave us a review. While we work to stay competitive in the market in both compensation and opportunities, we appreciate this feedback. I will be sharing this with the appropriate teams and thank you again- Molly from Talent Solutions

competitive work place with great benefits

competitive work place with great Benefits Management Company performs refining as part of large Oil and petroleum company. work is mostly Physical with 25% travel for conferences and training

October 24, 2019
Hello, this is Molly from Talent Solutions. I appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review and share your overall feedback from your time with us at our Omaha, NE site. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the overall environment and opportunities and I will be sure to pass this feedback on to the appropriate leadership. Thank you again and I wish you all the best!

Useful to obtain well paying temporary employment.

Useful for well paying temporary employment with no benefits. This company provides a good opportunity to get into a position to prove your skills to a company.

Pros

Well paying temporary employment.

Cons

No benefits available.

stressful and unrealistic

Always reminding that no overtime is allowed and defining unrealistic goals. Absolutely no room for advancement. Expectations of using tools and equipment not having been trained on

Pros

decent benefits

Cons

Work for unrealistic goals

You can gain some valuable experience - if you can work the hours

FHR uses MBM whiich is a well thought out set of business principles on a theoretical level. Company struggled to define and execute it at the tactical level. Hard not to like a philosophy which encourages humility and integrity. FHR and Koch had a bad reputation for work/life balance in business units which were struggling (B&I in particular). Inadequate staff and layoffs were the result which were ugly and damaging to the individual and the company. You can gain some valuable experience here especially if your younger as they will readily give a large amount of responsibility to young folks right out of school. Find a mentor though and watch the work/life balance. If you have a young family, make sure your spouse in onboard. You will not be at home as much as you like. Pay was above market average, but when you factored in overtime, maybe not so much. Long Long Hours in B&I trying to make a high overhead, high staffing load, F500 approach work in an industry dominated by lean Ag Coops.

Pros

Mbm, Responsibility, Compensation

Cons

Work Life Balance

Really nice people

Friendliest people Ive ever worked with. Well managaed and extremely safe. Dont have to work overtime unless you want to most of the time. Its too bad I was only on a 6 month contract, because I really liked it there.

Pros

many

Cons

no smoking anywhere on the property. for a good reason though.

summary

it was a very nice hospital to work at. nurses could self schedule. much support from management, compensation was adequate, benefits were adequate....

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Flint Hills Resources. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.8 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits