Flint Hills Resources

Flint Hills Resources Pay & Benefits reviews

United States295 reviews

Clear
3.8Pay & Benefits

Fun challenging work, training for specific job duties lacking in orientation period. Project managers were great to work with. No overtime pay to salary employees even if work load or shutdown required it.

Pros

Great benefits and fair pay

Cons

Job orientation on specific company systems was lacking

Good work environment

Good place to work.keep busy, work alot of hours, pays very well,good benefits, alot of training programs, work with alot of heavy machinery and work with a team.

Pros

Pays very well

Cons

Work alot of hours and some weekends and holidays

Flint Hills Resources insights

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Fair pay for job
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Trust in colleagues
  • General feeling of work happiness

Poor

Very low pay and low advancement for the job requirements and skills demanded. The job requires a four year Bachelor's degree but pays less than the jobs with no degree requirements.

Pros

Mandatory Overtime

Cons

Pay and Management is lacking

Management is a joke, hire you for a job and stick you in another.

When I first started at the Menlo facility, I was hired on as a ops guy, when I got there they instantly moved me to material handling.(I went to school for operations) when I asked to be transferred back to operations(the Job I was hired for) they continued to ignore it. I eventually went to HR and the same thing was said. If you want to actually be an operator don't come to this facility, you will be put in material handling! The facility is ran by the buddy system, if your willing to suck up to your shift leads or managers then you will fit in great, if you show up to work everyday and work hard, you won't make it anywhere. This place is a joke, they expect you to work your tail off for nothing in return.

Pros

Not one thing

Cons

Zero pay raises, poor management, unsafe work environment, hire on false pretenses, Not real operations.

Challenging place to work.

Decent benefits....few monetary incentives, must be willing to create value to stay employed....Very business oriented, very safe place to work........

Solid Company, Good Benefits, Decent Work-Life Balance

Pros: The resources and knowledge base of the company were awesome. I learned so much more than I expected during my time at FHR. Great benefits and better people. They continually challenge you to set high goals and give you the support you need to attain them. Great company values and leadership training. Cons: Work/life balance was alright. There were a few times I was frustrated with the continuous manufacturing process demand, but other times my job was covered and I was able to take some time off. Environmental perspective was a little extreme at times, which made it difficult implementing some process improvements.

Great company to work for

I have worked for FHR for roughly 3 years and it has been a great company to work for with a lot of opportunities. Good compensation and good benefits

Very poor management

I was let go because my son got sick. I was cross trained and averaged about 45-55 hours a week. Very high turn over in the Shell Rock facility. Pay was decent.

Plenty of overtime available

Plenty of overtime available. Excellent pay and benefits. Large company with locations all over the world. Plenty of resources to assist in daily operations.

Lyondell-Basell was a nice facility. I left due to impending bankruptcy.

Was offered higher pay to go to Petrologistics (which later became Flint Hills Resources). Lyondell-Basell was a nice place to work if you don't include all the extra hours.

Pros

Very nice facility. Very clean.

Cons

Can't think of any.

Good company. Was forced to leave due to issues with management.

I was the only Control Systems person at the facility until well after start-up. The work was very hard but enjoyable due to the personnel I was working with.

Pros

Nice pay, bonuses, etc.

Cons

Long hours, short breaks, etc.

Poorly Run Toxic Culture

If you're going to work for this company do yourself a favor, have an exit plan. There is a lot of opportunity for experience but long term survival is rare. Koch is going to pay you on average at least 25% less than same job at another pipeline and ask you to do 100% more.

Pros

Experience, flexibility

Cons

Culture, management

Productive and enlightening environment. Very transparent organization.

I have enjoyed working for Flint Hills Resources and would recommend the Pine Bend Refinery to anyone who enjoys learning technical skills, solving problems, and can stay afloat of an ever-dynamic market.

Pros

Lots of food distributed, Building improvements of late, Good relationships with surrounding communities, Down to earth people

Cons

3% match on 401k, Parking is horrendous, Union labor.

great pay

great pay, but the culture of the company requires people to give up too much sometimes. the 12 hours shifts were horrible for family life. the safety culture at the site was awesome.

Pros

psy

Cons

hours

Company has a safe work practice culture with worldwide opportunities

Company has a safe work practice culture with worldwide opportunities Management is always looking at innovation to continually keep up in the changing market.

Pros

worldwide opportunities, promotes from within

Cons

could have better healthcare benefits

Warehouse Work

Best warehouse job in Chicago-land area. Learned how to utilize Automatic/Semi-automatic packaging equipment and fork lift operations. Management is pretty solid. Co-workers are supportive. The hardest part of the job is the unpredictability of production, and logistical ordering office. Benefits are the most enjoyable part of the job.

Pros

Great Benefits

Cons

Health Risk (With the production of Trimellitic Anhydride)

one star overall. no job security, management is under qualified, the belief is they own you

By far the worst place I have ever worked. They tell you when you start to keep your mouth shut and not to ask questions. Management is horrible. They have no communication with workers and threaten anyone's job that questions them. The biggest problem I thought was how they say that everything else in your life comes second. The philosophy was that it went the company then God followed by your family. I will say that the pay and benefits are good. You top out at just less than $40 an hour.

Pros

pay and benefits

Cons

every other aspect of the company

ok job alot of work put on you

This is an ok outfit as long as you know what exactly you are getting into. A lot of unnessary work is put on you when others are able to help. not much teamwork.

Pros

good pay

Cons

not alot of teamwork

Always learning something new

Typical work day began with walking down P&I/D's through various units in the refinery. This was my first experience with a walk down type job where I was able to learn about verifying the function of all instruments. My relationship with management was good and I received a lot of praise for my work. I was able to work with and learn from very experienced personnel. The challenging part of this job was climbing vessels and towers and the most enjoyable part was learning something new everyday.

Pros

Good job benefits.

Cons

Job completion.

Proactive, will take on new ideas and work well with others

Worked at the Peru Site locally and traveled to the Joliet site 2x a week. I have learned different ways of assisting end users remotely or hands on with printers, pc's, applications, cameras and badging systems. Did all training that management allowed me to do. Work very well with all co-workers from all sites. Getting another tech to understand what and how local users needs. Making all users happy and to go forward quickly with solving issues that they had.

Pros

Salary

Cons

Worked lots of hours

Great place to work.

Enjoyed working with staff and training disable adults. Was difficult at times with clients behaviors, but really enjoy it when the clients would get a job outside the program.

Pros

free meals and great benefits

Cons

Clients behavior and low pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Flint Hills Resources. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.8 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits